Starcraft 2

General discussion about other games, links to reviews, demos, etc - let us know about whats up and coming

Moderators: Funkmasterr, noel

Leonaerd
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Starcraft 2

Post by Leonaerd »

Does anybody play?

I'm fucking addicted. There is no more rewarding gaming experience. The competition, the mental exercise, the multitasking, the feeling of outsmarting your opponent.... For me, it's the only non-MMO that will really matter for any serious length of time.

It really is a sport.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Re: Starcraft 2

Post by Fairweather Pure »

I did a really in depth write up on this game, but apparently it wasn't on this forum. I don't even remeber which forumit was on anymore. What a waste!

Anyway, I like the single player a lot. I suck at multiplayer. I'm good with Terran, but fucking suck with protoss and I'm a goddamn joke as zerg. I blame that on not having any practice with a single player campaign. Also, lack of medics in multiplayer really throws me off. I do not play much, but when I do it's vs AI. Even when I play with RL friends, we play vs AI. It's more fun. I don't really care for the competitive nature of SC2.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Post by Funkmasterr »

I tried a few games of multiplayer back when I beat the campaign, but got my ass whooped for the most part.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Fairweather Pure wrote:I did a really in depth write up on this game, but apparently it wasn't on this forum. I don't even remeber which forumit was on anymore. What a waste!
There is a search feature here!
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Aslanna wrote:
Fairweather Pure wrote:I did a really in depth write up on this game, but apparently it wasn't on this forum. I don't even remeber which forumit was on anymore. What a waste!
There is a search feature here!
Yeah, I mean it (apparently) wasn't even on VV. I did it for another community site altogether, but I don't remember which one now.
Larst
No Stars!

Post by Larst »

I play a little and watch a lot of livestreams and tournaments, really entertaining. Day[9] is the best! WhiteRa is a hero!
Leonaerd
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Leonaerd »

I watch the live stuff all the time. It's my default activity when I have no pressing internets to do. Whitera is OP as hell. Day[9] Dailies have really helped my strategy and I love his attitude (though he gets annoying from time to time). My favorite stream is Ret... I play Terran so I watch a lot of Thorzain and DeMuslim casts. I wish it was easier to find Korean casts, though.

And the drama! What a community!
Avestan
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Avestan »

Larst wrote:I play a little and watch a lot of livestreams and tournaments, really entertaining. Day[9] is the best! WhiteRa is a hero!
POWER
Asheran Mojomaster
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Asheran Mojomaster »

I haven't played a lot lately. I was platinum league 2v2 and gold 1v1 in beta, and after release only played 1v1 and made it to the upper end of platinum league in two of the ladders. Protoss FTW.

Really, in multiplayer, the thing that I've saw kill most people is not figuring out a good starting build. You really need to hammer out a very specific early build order that will maximize your income, unit production, and expansion.

I have probes constantly being built from the time the game starts until I have 2 groups of minerals and 2 sets of gas filled at least, and I start pumping out zealots as soon as I am able to build rax without sacrificing my ability to build probes (its been a while, but I think it usually lined up with my 4th or 5th probe).

If you can get a good start, you can crush most people and make it to platinum league. The people near the top of platinum and on can be crazy though. Everyone has an ironed out start, but some people are able to push some incredible rushes, and others are nutty with expansion and upgrading. It takes a lot of time to learn how to counter different builds and not be too rigid in your playstyle...but also know when you should stick to a preplanned setup.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/blog/630625 ... _2012#blog

New HotS multiplayer unit info and battle report. Man, those units looks look they will mix things up a great deal. I cannot help but notice a counter for seige tanks for each race, lol.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

The expansion has a release date of 3/12/13. I have the CE preordered already!

2.5 years for an expansion release? Blizzard should be embarrassed with themselves. That means a Protoss expansion would be released late 2016 or early 2017. WarCraft 4 will be released a decade from then, so 2027!
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: miir1

Post by miir »

Fairweather Pure wrote:2.5 years for an expansion release? Blizzard should be embarrassed with themselves.
How is that even the least bit surprising?
It takes them ~2 years to release WOW expansions.
I've got 99 problems and I'm not dealing with any of them - Lay-Z
Leonaerd
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Leonaerd »

Oh man, does HotS look good.

1) Medivac thrusters. Being able to speed in and out of drops is super powerful and fun to watch.
2) Widow mines. Reckless amounts of damage against a player who doesn't scout well. Moving the mines to buffer a seiged position is intense and fun to watch.
3) Oracle. Finally, Protoss gets a solid early-game harassment option. It can kill workers so damn fast. Very fun to watch.
4) Viper. Blinding cloud is powerful as fuck. The other move that can pull enemy units across the screen is very fun to watch.

A new beginning for struggling players, just as KESPA pros are finished transitioning from Brood War. A brand new metagame. Just today, Flash gets into Code S. Very exciting times to be an SCII fan.

Zamtuk
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zamtuk »

I fired this puppy up last night, in order to get ready for the expansion. I forgot that Blizzard is capable of making quality games. Can't wait.
Xouqoa
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Xouqoa

Post by Xouqoa »

I'll get HotS eventually, just for the story. I suck at MP, though. :)
"Our problems are man-made, therefore they may be solved by man. No problem of human destiny is beyond human beings." - John F Kennedy
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

CE preordered months ago and I will have release day delivery. I'm half tempted to play through the first campaign again to get ready, but I don't really have the time right now.

Blizzard has the best Collector's Editions out there IMO. It's the only company I am guaranteed to buy CEs from.

http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/buy-now/collectors-edition

I really like how Diablo 3, SC2, and WoW CEs all have in game vanity rewards for all the other games. I'm looking forward to both the Baneling pet for WoW and the Kerigan Wings for Diablo.

Also, I think Blizzard is doing the portrait unlocks a bit different this time. You earn exp from playing and unlock portraits instead of with achievements for this expansion. Should be fun!
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

I'll get it eventually for the campaign, but I too am terrible at the multiplayer.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Funkmasterr wrote:I'll get it eventually for the campaign, but I too am terrible at the multiplayer.
The multiplayer is simply beyond what I am willing to put into it at this point. I really enjoy playing vs the AI though. I've really tried getting into the multiplayer but everytime I try it's always a little too "inside baseball" for me to even enjoy the discussion.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Too many try hards that really need to get a life outside of coming up with strategies for computer games, IMO.
Leonaerd
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Leonaerd »

The strategies are easy enough to understand. Executing them, however...
Zamtuk
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zamtuk »

Loving the new expansion. The campaign is good enough, but the real bonus is how many small little details they added in to amp up the entire experience. Rare genius coming from Blizzard now a days.
Chidoro
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Chidoro »

Just started playing about 2 months ago. Never really played the first even though I owned it, just never really got into it.
The game is great. I been practicing in the matchmaking. Very satisfying to win and execute. Very much a newb, but I definitely am getting better rather quickly.
Leonaerd
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Leonaerd »

I will widow mine drop your natural before you even have detection, fuckin maphack noob.

err

Nice to see you picked it up! I recommend watching some pro vods (sc2casts.com) to get a feel for what kind of builds you want to focus on. Very entertaining.

I haven't played lately but I do closely follow the pro scene and miss the game a lot. I don't really game during the summer but I will be back into SC2 shortly, with LotV and the new Unreal Tournament around the corner. Time for a new rig!
Chidoro
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Chidoro »

Leonaerd wrote:I will widow mine drop your natural before you even have detection, fuckin maphack noob.

err

Nice to see you picked it up! I recommend watching some pro vods (sc2casts.com) to get a feel for what kind of builds you want to focus on. Very entertaining.

I haven't played lately but I do closely follow the pro scene and miss the game a lot. I don't really game during the summer but I will be back into SC2 shortly, with LotV and the new Unreal Tournament around the corner. Time for a new rig!
now I realize how much I stink, oh well
lost all of the provisional but they stuck me in Silver. I'll see how it plays out. sad but true, I haven't beat the computer on Medium yet. get bumped down to Easy, which is too easy, then Medium, takes me down. I think the main reason is I don't scout well and even when I do, I don't really know how to exploit it much. Also some units need to be micro'd a lot so I don't really use them too much as I'm trying to get a handle on the rest of the game
Leonaerd
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Leonaerd »

No, the main reason you lose is because you're not spending your money well. Here's a mindset to try.

- get good at one build, regardless of what your opponent is doing. Think low-econ, easily manageable, with powerful army. Known as an "all in" attack.
-- think two base muta, two-base immortal+sentry all-in, two-base marauder hellion all-in.
-- gives you discrete mini-objectives.
---- going for marauder hellion? Better get that second CC up early. Better get gas to make the factory quickly. Better get a reactor on the barracks that you transfer over to the factory by the time it is finished. Good, now you're pumping out a shit ton of hellions early on in the game. Tech lab on the barracks finished? Now you're adding marauders. Two or three of those to go with your ~8 hellions and you STEAMROLL on hard difficulty. As you get better at not getting supply blocked, all of a sudden you're in diamond league.
Chidoro
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Chidoro »

Thank you. Played about 5 games practicing the 2 base Muta and got my 1st win on Medium.
Felt a little lucky. was against a protoss making stalkers and immortals. seemed ripe for the ling + muta attack I fielded
Leonaerd
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Leonaerd »

Ahhh, awesome. Two-base muta is fun to play and very flexible. The classic zerg build is three base ling / muta / bane, which can realistically break just about any mid-game army (other than seiged marine / tank, in which case you should be counterattacking / harassing anyway). Keep your mutas alive during the big engagement and your follow-up (consisting of more muta spam) will be deadly.
Chidoro
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Chidoro »

Haven't really used bane's too much yet. I have seen them used to great effectiveness, just haven't adopted it yet.
The thing that I have come away with most of these builds, is how early into a game you're supposed lay down a 2nd base.

Played a couple a matches as a protoss, so so different from zerg. Only managing 40-42 apm where I can consistently click off about 65 apm as zerg.
just wish i had more time, I'm really enjoying it right now.
Leonaerd
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Leonaerd »

The thing that I have come away with most of these builds, is how early into a game you're supposed lay down a 2nd base.
As zerg, it's best to do hatch before pool every game. On bigger maps, it's often safe to do 3 hatch before pool. Sometimes, you can even do 3 hatch + gas before pool.

Go to sc2casts.com and watch some games. Notice their build orders in the upper-left production tab.

Toss requires much less apm than zerg, given the lack of larva / queen / creep mechanics.
Chidoro
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Chidoro »

i'm getting wrecked
like 2 and 18 right now
I've gotten cheesed a couple of times but there are some things I don't seem to have answers for. Oh well, i'll keep plugging away. rough coming into the game after most people have been playing it for a long time
Leonaerd
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Leonaerd »

Start watching the replays of your games, especially the mirror match replays. Note when your opponent is building overlords, upgrade structures, drones, injecting, etc. Zerg takes a lot of attention to detail when you're new to the game. Study that shit out.
rough coming into the game after most people have been playing it for a long time
~Silver league has a lot of smurf accounts: Diamond+ players who place in low leagues on purpose on new accounts just so their account has a good record. Most importantly, 20 games is an extremely small sample size, so the game has not yet matched you against people at your actual skill level. By 200 games, you will have a 50% win rate. Look at your replays, and really try to learn from your opponents' builds.
Aabidano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aabidano »

Son's roommate makes over half his income playing this and a couple others in a Korean league. Totally ridiculous. Not reliable money so he has to keep a real job.
"Life is what happens while you're making plans for later."