Post by Aslanna »

Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Re: Guardians of the Galaxy

Post by Winnow »

Looks like they're taking the right attitude with the movie.

If I was Samsung I'd be all over an endorsement deal and make a Guardian of the Galaxy case for the S5 but knowing Samsung, they'll waste their Ad money on a stupid musical or anti Apple ad.

Guardians of The Galaxy reminds me of Atari Force that DC put out in the 80's:

Underrated comic!
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Post by Fairweather Pure »

Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Canelek

Post by Canelek »

Looks like a fun movie. No clue what it is about but it was a good trailer.

What the fuck does Samsung have to do with it, however?
en kærlighed småkager
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

If this does really well, can you imagine the wealth of material that cosmic marvel will bring? I hope it does amazingly well just to see how it would change the landscape of comic book movies.

Marvel is currently looking for a director for the Dr. Strange movie, so the supernatural element will be taken care of soon. I think that's it, right? Super heroes, aliens, and the supernatural? I guess they could do alternate realities or time travel too at some point. If they cover those bases well, which they are, then the sky is really the limit. All that stuff can mingle within their cinematic universe at will just as it is in their comic books.

I love the Marvel movies so this is great!
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Fairweather Pure wrote:If this does really well, can you imagine the wealth of material that cosmic marvel will bring? I hope it does amazingly well just to see how it would change the landscape of comic book movies.

Marvel is currently looking for a director for the Dr. Strange movie, so the supernatural element will be taken care of soon. I think that's it, right? Super heroes, aliens, and the supernatural? I guess they could do alternate realities or time travel too at some point. If they cover those bases well, which they are, then the sky is really the limit. All that stuff can mingle within their cinematic universe at will just as it is in their comic books.

I love the Marvel movies so this is great!
I don't know if they'd ever do it, but X-Men 137, the Death of Phoenix, would make a good movie. That one takes place on the dark side of the Moon and includes the Shi'ar Empire and their Imperial Guard (Prof X' girlfriend was Empress Lilandra of the Shi'ar at the time) Shi'ar have ties to both Kree and Skrull Empires.

Shi'ar also put Reed Richards on trial on the charge of genocide for reviving Galactus so a Fantastic Four/X-Men crossover might work as well since FOX owns the rights to both Marvel groups.

On another note, Liliana is now leader of the Starjammers (after the fall of the Shi'ar empire) which is another space team they could introduce! The Star Jammers have lots of ties to the X-Men but also to the Silver Surfer and the Hulk. Corsair, the previous leader of the Starjammers is...OMG...Cyclop's father! Starjammers will be in "War of Kings" which, to come full circle, includes the Inhumans, Nova, and....The Guardians of the Galaxy!

The thing is, they kind of already look like the Guardians as a team....but wouldn't it be cute if Hezibah (the skunk looking lady) and the Rocket Racoon from Guardians hooked up? Furrys would love that action. Awwwwww!

Atari Force is my favorite Space Group but they're from DC so maybe that will be their counter movie if Guardians of the Galaxy is successful.
masteen
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by masteen »

I was sold by the first pic of Zoe Saldana in green body paint.
"There is at least as much need to curb the cruel greed and arrogance of part of the world of capital, to curb the cruel greed and violence of part of the world of labor, as to check a cruel and unhealthy militarism in international relationships." -Theodore Roosevelt
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

If you watch Thor 2 you should note how much of the film is pretty hard sci-fi. The movie built upon the concepts in Thor 1 and even the space elements of the Avengers get elevated a great deal. It really gives a movie like Guardians of the Galaxy a very comfortable spot within the lore they have already created in the existing Marvel Cinematic Universe.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Trailer #2

(Link updated since the original one went private.)
Last edited by Aslanna on May 19, 2014, 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

--
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

How many Infinity Stones is it so far in the Marvel Films?

Was reading some synopsis infos since I know jack shit about the comics and noticed the seemingly obvious path to the Infinity Gauntlet.
en kærlighed småkager
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

I don't know what an Infinity Stone even is!

--
Lynks
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: launchpad1979

Post by Lynks »

I think they only made reference to 2 so far with a 3rd in this movie.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Aslanna wrote:I don't know what an Infinity Stone even is!
I'll give you a quick comic summary on the Infinity Gauntlet.

There are 6 Infinity Gems.

-Soul Gem (green)-controls/steals souls
-Power Gem (red) - gives you the power of God - Aether (red crap) from Thor 2.
-Time Gem (orange) - control time, duh
-Mind Gem (blue) - gives you the most powerful psychic abilities imaginable - This was the gem in Loki's staff in the Avengers, probably
-Space Gem (purple) - warps reality, can be everywhere at once - Tesseract from Avengers maybe?
-Reality Gem (yellow) - alters reality, duh

one of those above should be in Guardians of the Galaxy as the orb Starlord is after at the start. That's just an educated hunch.

Any single one of the gems basically makes you godlike. All of them mounted in a gauntlet makes you godlike x a billion.

The comic story is pretty nutty and wild with Thanos trying to make Death, embodied as a female who never speaks, fall in love him. Wackiness and insanity ensues. Interestingly, the line at the end of Avengers when the space dude is talking to Thanos, he says something like "Hey, earth dudes are really powerful. To face them would be like courting death." ... And after that line is spoken, Thanos turns around with his grin. It's all very inside baseball for the real fucking nerds like me, but it interesting that Marvel is going "all in" on their shit. I see why Guardians of the Galaxy was made now. The space stuff is essential to the overall plot of the Infinity Gauntlet story line.

Kluden
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kluden »

Gah! You know that guantlet is massive power...because it has comic lens flare!
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Trailer #2 removed again. Fetchin Disney. Here is another link. After that you're on your own! I'm sure the 5 people that actually still visit here have seen it by now anyway.

--
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

Was able to find the new trailer on YouTube last night, so it is probably gone.

I'm really digging what they are putting out so far. Very Firefly-on-crack. Dig it!
en kærlighed småkager
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Canelek wrote:Was able to find the new trailer on YouTube last night, so it is probably gone.

I'm really digging what they are putting out so far. Very Firefly-on-crack. Dig it!
It's like Star Wars, The Fifth Element, and Firefly had a 3-way and this crazy ass movie was the result.
Bubba Grizz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Bubba Grizz »

My son (7 year old) is playing Marvel Lego Universe and he got to the point of be introduced to the Guardians of the Galaxy team. He came up to me the other day and said, "Dad, we have to see this movie" I told him that we would and he was super happy. That game has a shit load of characters I didn't expect to see, including Howard the Duck!
Lynks
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: launchpad1979

Post by Lynks »

Ya, my daughter and I are playing it too. Too bad there's no Scarlet Witch though.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

Scarlet Witch would be too OP!
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Early Critic reactions to a Guardians of the Galaxy screening:
Early Buzz: ‘Guardians of the Galaxy’ Is Out of This World

Marvel’s @Guardians is magnificent. Hilarious, touching, action packed, I don’t think I could’ve liked it more. @JamesGunn killed it. Wow.

— Germain Lussier (@GermainLussier) July 19, 2014

Look I really don't want to be a hype man or build it up too much, but I woke up this morning still high off @Guardians of the Galaxy.

— Germain Lussier (@GermainLussier) July 19, 2014

Guardians of the Galaxy is a ridiculous fun ride. Hilarious, action packed, and a great ensemble. Totally loved it.

— Eric Eisenberg (@eeisenberg) July 19, 2014

Guardians of the Galaxy is the first Marvel movie to have a great third act. It's full of personality, laughs, and dick jokes.

— Jack Giroux (@JackGi) July 19, 2014

Guardians of the Galaxy tells one story. It's cool and confident enough not to leave behind a bunch of loose threads.

— Jack Giroux (@JackGi) July 19, 2014

GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY opens up the Marvel universe in a great way. Movie is awesome & extremely funny. Congrats @JamesGunn. You did it.

— Steven Weintraub (@colliderfrosty) July 19, 2014

And anyone wondering if a talking racoon and tree wouldn't work, they have some of the best scenes and I loved both of them. #GUARDIANS

— Steven Weintraub (@colliderfrosty) July 19, 2014

GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY: Hilarious, amazing action, everything I wanted in an adventure movie. So good.

— Ben Pearson (@benpears) July 19, 2014

GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY is another big win for Marvel! Every single character steals every scene.

— Silas Lesnick (@silaslesnick) July 19, 2014

#GuardiansOfTheGalaxy press screening: Holy crap, you guys, this is EVERYTHING you could ever want in a Marvel movie.

— Alisha Grauso (@AlishaGrausoMP) July 19, 2014

#GuardiansOfTheGalaxy is also hands-down the most beautiful film Marvel has ever done. Seriously eye-popping. Just stunning!

— Alisha Grauso (@AlishaGrausoMP) July 19, 2014
http://www.slashfilm.com/early-guardian ... y-reviews/

Kinda goes on and on with similar comments.

Sounds like I may need to actually see this one in a theater. Also appears to be a self contained movie with no loose ends. Nice when it doesn't feel like you're watching 1/3 of a movie.

MMM, Excelsior, etc etc!
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

You can watch an extended trailer here.
Make love, fuck war, peace will save us.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

I saw this on Saturday in IMAX 3D. I tried a new IMAX theater and it was shit. The screen was 1/2 the size of the one I usually go to. Lesson learned. Also, I had some lone movie going dude sit next to me with 2 hot dogs, nachos, popcorn, and a large drink. He kept bumping into me trying to juggle all that food in a tiny space. Also, his food stunk.

It was a great movie full of action, laughs, and a surprising amount of touching moments. Everyone was perfect in their roles. It was a movie full of scene stealing characters all one upping each other in a way that not a single one of them overpowered the others. In that regard, it's a lot like how Joss balanced all of the characters and personalities in Avengers. My main complaint is that the villain was pretty weaksauce. He was like the dark elf in Thor 2. Threatening and well acted, but without a real reason to fear him or think he was awesome. Also, Draxx and Gamora didn't get to act like the super amazing killers they are hinted at being at any real point in the movie.

Marvel put all their chips on this one and it paid off in spades. The reviews are through the roof and it's making a truckload of money. It belongs in what I consider the top tier of Marvel movies. (Avengers, Iron Man 1, Captain America 2, and now GotG joins the ranks)

What I found really interesting was they do not attempt to make a single direct connection to any of the other Marvel movies. There are loads of indirect connections, but it's almost as if they want "Cosmic Marvel" to be independent of regular ol' "Earth Marvel" and will only have them connect once in awhile or via major story lines. They laid the groundwork for Cosmic Marvel with some amazing world building in this movie though. With it's amazing success, the sky is the limit now for what Marvel can pursue within their cosmic themed comics.
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

Saw a matinee on Friday. Really fun and entertaining movie. An excellent blend of hammy comedy, thoughtful scenes, crazy action and solid direction.

Will certainly buy this when it is released on BR.
en kærlighed småkager
Kluden
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kluden »

saw it friday as well, imax 3d. I didn't think the imax3d brought anything to the table, so cheap asses go for 2D, you'll be fine.

Great, fun, summer blockbuster. no doubt. Villain was kinda wtf who cares...but its not really about him being evil, its about Thanos. They just didn't really portray that well. Small complaint for such a success though!
Keverian FireCry
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Keverian FireCry »

Holy fucking shit I loved this movie. The Infinity Guantlet storyline, which is introduced in this, is the most memorable comic arc from my childhood and the Annihilation series is one of my recent favorites as well. Seeing it start to unfold on the big-screen is something I dreamed about since I was 12 yrs old.

I thought a lot of the cosmic content would be too obscure to make it into a live-action movie, but they didn't shy away from anything.
[Show]
The Nova Corps, Kree, Thanos, Infinity Gems, Celestials!!!, Knowhere, The Collector, and of course the major heroes and villains of the movie were all included...Hell even Cosmo the long lost Russian space dog and Howard the Duck!!!
They just set down a strong foundation for many future films. Can't wait for the introduction of other characters like Nova, Adam Warlock/Magus, Captain Marvel, Quasar. The possibilities for sequels and future franchises are endless.

P.S. You do know that it's going to take the Guardians AND the Avengers to defeat Thanos, right?
Last edited by Keverian FireCry on August 14, 2014, 3:51 am, edited 2 times in total.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Keverian FireCry wrote:Holy fucking shit I loved this movie. The Infinity Guantlet storyline, which is introduced in this, is the most memorable comic arc from my childhood and the Annihilation series is one of my recent favorites as well. Seeing it start to unfold on the big-screen is something I dreamed about since I was 12 yrs old.

I thought a lot of the cosmic content would be too obscure to make it into a live-action movie, but they didn't shy away from anything. The Nova Corps, Kree, Thanos, Infinity Gems, Celestials!!!, The Collector, and of course the major heroes and villains of the movie were all included...
[Show]
Hell even Cosmo the long lost Russian space dog and Howard the Duck!!!
They just set down a strong foundation for many future films. Can't wait for the introduction of other characters like Nova, Adam Warlock/Magus, Captain Marvel, Quasar. The possibilities for sequels and future franchises are endless.

P.S. You do know that it's going to take the Guardians AND the Avengers to defeat Thanos, right?
Spoiler that shit man!

Also, did you know that Marvel just green-lit a script for an Inhumans movie? Also, don't forget the Netflix exclusive street level series that will include nearly 60 one-hour episodes focused on the 4 Defenders characters: Daredevil, Jessica Jones, Luke Cage and Iron Fist and will culminate in their own Defenders movie on Netflix! All that stuff + Ant man and Dr. Strange should all be available to appear in Avengers 3 vs Thanos.

Also, just a kit pick... The Infinity Gauntlet Story was kicked off long before GotG!
Keverian FireCry
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Keverian FireCry »

Spoiler added. Good call. Yeah I know the individual objects of power have been introduced, but this is the first time they are mentioned all together and
[Show]
the motivations of Thanos are explained
And yeah very excited about the Inhumans and the Netflix series. Can't wait for Ant-Man and Dr. Strange as well. Another I hope gets sorted out is Namor. Apparently Marvel has partial rights to him, but Universal has rights to him as well. They are working on that one atm.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

I want Marvel to beat DC to the punch with a Namor movie but it looks like DC is pushing for an Aquaman movie rather aggressively.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

So, a movie with a guy that talks to fish? :P
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!