Poll: Obama rating slips

What do you think about the world?
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Re: Poll: Obama rating slips

Post by Aslanna »

Kilmoll the Sexy wrote:On the other hand, he is standing up and lying to the people here about not being able to do a thing about the gas prices. Newt has said he could get them down to 2.50 and Newt is correct on this one.
I don't think he is correct. HIgh gas prices are really just a hot-button issue for the opposition. Obama can't do anything about high gas prices just like Bush couldn't do anything about high gas prices. Although Bush was an oil man so perhaps he didn't want to try very hard.

Regardless.. I believe Newt is just blowing smoke up peoples ass and telling them what they want to hear. What he says and what he can do are wo different things. Hell, elect me and I'll get gas down to $1 a gallon! See how easy that is? OPEC pretty much controls (most of) the show and the can raise and lower the cost per barrel whenever they want. I don't see what Newt could possibly do about that. Oh wait I know.. Ram the oil sands pipeline down our throats. That should solve the problem.
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
kyoukan
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by kyoukan »

No guys, the president really can directly effect the price of gas by as much as 50%. Newt Gingrich said so.
Aabidano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aabidano »

Aslanna wrote:OPEC pretty much controls (most of) the show and the can raise and lower the cost per barrel whenever they want.
To an extent, I suspect the commodities traders the republicans jumped up and down like spoiled 12 year olds to protect last summer are just as large an impact in this and many other areas. More reactive too. Think Boehner even shed some crocodile tears for that one. (Which doesn't mean the spineless democrats are at all blameless in it)

The same thing can't "not be" Bushes fault, and "be" Obamas' fault. And of course believing anything Newt says is likely a mistake. Santorum may be absolutely daffy, but at least he's sincere.
"Life is what happens while you're making plans for later."
masteen
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by masteen »

At the pump prices spiked after 2001, but not solely for the reasons you might think. The CFTC's authority to regulate OTC American oil futures was stripped in 2000, so 9/11 was just what the doctor ordered to keep people from freaking the fuck out over the price of gas a few years later. This is the only reason I don't dismiss the tinfoil hat crowd's theory that 9/11 was a false flag.

Obama certainly could do more than nothing to fix it, but he's not going to because G-S is his buddies, and they are about to be allowed, by law, to purchase 25% of the ENTIRE AMERICAN OIL FUTURES MARKET. Prepare your anoos for $5+ at the pump.
"There is at least as much need to curb the cruel greed and arrogance of part of the world of capital, to curb the cruel greed and violence of part of the world of labor, as to check a cruel and unhealthy militarism in international relationships." -Theodore Roosevelt
Leonaerd
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Leonaerd »

This is the only reason I don't dismiss the tinfoil hat crowd's theory that 9/11 was a false flag.
What about the explosions heard in the basement of the towers before the planes hit? What about the near - 9.8m/s^2 free fall of the buildings? What about the molten thermite?

Edit: I may have misunderstood the context?
Jice Virago
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
PSN ID: quyrean

Post by Jice Virago »

He is saying that greed as a motive makes the "9-11 Inside Job" theory mroe plausable to him. He was not commenting on the evidence of said theory.

But, honestly, speculation (and the complete deregulation thereof) is whats driving gas up more than any single factor. Those assholes are fucking the global food market too, its just not as obvious to the US at present. Welcome to the wonderful world of modernized unfettered capitolism in the digital age.
War is an option whose time has passed. Peace is the only option for the future. At present we occupy a treacherous no-man's-land between peace and war, a time of growing fear that our military might has expanded beyond our capacity to control it and our political differences widened beyond our ability to bridge them. . . .

Short of changing human nature, therefore, the only way to achieve a practical, livable peace in a world of competing nations is to take the profit out of war.
--RICHARD M. NIXON, "REAL PEACE" (1983)

"Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired, represents, in the final analysis, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, who are cold and are not clothed. This world in arms is not spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children."

Dwight Eisenhower
Leonaerd
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Leonaerd »

And paid-for politicians will continue to ensure that gas remains the only option, because America.
Chidoro
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Chidoro »

Leonaerd wrote:
This is the only reason I don't dismiss the tinfoil hat crowd's theory that 9/11 was a false flag.
What about the explosions heard in the basement of the towers before the planes hit? What about the near - 9.8m/s^2 free fall of the buildings? What about the molten thermite?

Edit: I may have misunderstood the context?
heh, you also misunderstand 'evidence' so-called truthers throw around as well
Leonaerd
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Leonaerd »

Please, go on.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

When 8 years of this guy's presidency is over, there's one thing he'll be known for: the first African American president.

grats!

...and the same fools that voted for this bottom of the barrel president will vote for Hillary. If she's elected, the one thing she'll be remember for (besides killing tons of people in her way in the early years)...
Aabidano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aabidano »

Sad part is, seeing the complete whackos the RNC is presenting there's a chance right now I'd vote for Hilary. Totally amazing.

Depending on his running mate I'd vote for Christie, had he been paired with someone sane I'd have voted for Romney.

With someone like Ryan or Rubio leading we'd all be even more screwed. Until they shake off Norquist and the Koch bros control the RNC is aiming to take the nation farther down a bad path. Unless you're a multibillionaire of course, the rest of us are hosed.

Which isn't to say at all that the DNC is much better. Obamacare and all the other red flags Faux news is waving are just a distraction from how totally useless the RNC has been since 2008. Their biggest claim to fame right now is that they've blocked everything. But Obamacare somehow passed, that seems odd?
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Post by Fairweather Pure »

Hillary is oddly and perfectly qualified for the job as President. No one else in the country can touch her resume and she's been under the political and public microscope for over 20 years. She's got the election in the bag even before the RNC throws a bunch of crazy motherfuckers into the bull pen to destroy each other before being placed at her feet to finish off. I'm sure Obama will fully endorse her, as was no doubt part of a backroom deal made when she endorsed him at the end of her bid. Secretary of State was part of that too of course.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Post by Funkmasterr »

Yeah, I'm not a fan of hers, but she'd be a better president than anyone that's even thought about calling themselves conservative in... twenty years. Ever?
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Fairweather Pure wrote:I'm sure Obama will fully endorse her, as was no doubt part of a backroom deal made when she endorsed him at the end of her bid. Secretary of State was part of that too of course.
That deal was made when Hillary "hit her head" and had to resign as Secretary of State and took the fall for Benghazi. I'm confident the RNC has enough dirt on her past to cause plenty of issues.

Hillary is trying to get Benghazi behind her by parading out some captured stooge that will be beaten and tortured until he says whatever benefits her. I hate how Obama and Hillary try to showboat assassinations and captures. I'm sure we'll see that "situation room" photo of obama, hillary and crew 1000 times taken during the Bin Laden raid.

Cheese.
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

In addition to being the first Black president, President Obama is also the most LGBT-friendly president in history, and the first sitting president to support same-sex marriage.

However, he's also deported lots of Brown people and killed many more with drones. He's really no different than his pasty-white predecessor in that regard.

If Hillary Clinton is president, she will be very similar on many issues, and more hawkish on foreign policy.
Make love, fuck war, peace will save us.
Aabidano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aabidano »

Spang wrote:...
He's in charge so he gets the blame, as I said with his predecessor he's not an emperor. The things he can do "by decree" are pretty limited. He's been much more conscientious in that regard than Bush v2 was.

Not using the bully pulpit to call the republicans on their crazy is I think my biggest disappointment with him. He spent far to long attempting to deal with them as rational adults who were attempting to perform their duties.

No reflection on either of them - If Clinton is elected I expect utter insanity from the far right making her even less effective than Obama.
Kluden
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kluden »

I don't see how Hillary loses, tbh, with the way things are right now. I will be voting for a third party, so my vote won't determine shit as usual, other than hopefully splitting up that free money they throw to these useless parties for elections. They should get nothing. Although I will give kudos to the 2012 Democratic and Republican candidates, as I believe they both turned down the public money funds. I pray and hope that trend continues for the rest of time itself.

With that said, if its the era of the HRC, i just pray its a lucrative a time as her hubbies time in office. I pray she learned something about charisma and tax laws watching his tenure, and not just where the jizz was left.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Post by Funkmasterr »

Yeah, same here. She's basically already won the election if she's the democratic nominee; every woman in this country that hasn't been brainwashed by conservatives to hate themselves will likely vote for her, for one. With the pathetic childish bullshit the republicans have been pulling, there's no way in hell they'll win the popular vote regardless of who they put up.
Last edited by Funkmasterr on June 20, 2014, 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

If things go wrong with the country, she can always "hit her head" again and quit.

Can't stand Hillary.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Winnow wrote:I'm confident the RNC has enough dirt on her past to cause plenty of issues.
Fucking L O L

You think they have some super secret information that they've just been saving it for the perfect time? 20+ years later? Give me a fucking break. They're spent on all things Clinton and have been for well over a decade. Benghazi is all they have and guess what? No one gives a fuck about that. Four men died and 10 were injured in two separate attacks over a less then 24hr time frame. They were denied extra security despite requests.

If that's the best the RNC has to throw at Hiliary, they've already lost. Especially since they tried to make a mountain out of this molehill during the last election and it went goddamn nowhere.

The Republicans will run with Chris Christie. He's not losing weight for the fun of it. They know America will not elect a fatty. Talk about taking steps backward though. Anti-weed, anti-gay marriage, anti-abortion, bible thumper, pro fracking, ect. The best thing he's ever done is call out the Tea Party on some of their stupidity and he gave Obama a virtual high five over how well the hurricane relief was despite all his fuckhead party members shitting on him for actually giving that nigger in the White House a compliment. He's biting the hand that could feed him with those Tea Party fools though. Whatever whack job they throw in the mix will be gunning for Christie for sure.
Aabidano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aabidano »

Kluden wrote: i just pray its a lucrative a time as her hubbies time in office. I pray she learned something about charisma and tax laws watching his tenure, and not just where the jizz was left.
Clinton era legislation put the final pieces in place that let the global banking crisis happen. The US would have been largely shielded from stupid EU decisions had things not gone as they did during his tenure.

*Edit - The bad loans packaged into bad loans packaged into bad loans and sold as grade a instruments wouldn't have happened. With no accountability. Oops.

Individuals would still be shielded by bankruptcy laws in the same manner as corporations are as well. Instead we have stupid people being given loans by banks, etc..., who know it's a bad risk but can still profit from their greed at taxpayer expense so they couldn't care less. Meanwhile moron consumer who fell for it has at least 7 years and generally a lifetime of pain after they inevitably default.

Notice the countries that maintained their strict and less profitable banking regulations didn't take it in the shorts like we did.

Hilary is (or was) a self-absorbed narcissist with an inflated sense of self-confidence and no remorse. And still a better choice than anyone else in the field. I like Nader, not that he'd be at all successful.
Kluden
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kluden »

Sort of true. The Community Reinvestment Act of 1977(Clinton didn't create the act, it just started being paid attention to early in his era) was created to ensure and help low income families get a mortgage due to banks denying families of low income status. Early Clinton era, a study was produced (not by the feds) showing loan officers are huge racist assholes, and gave more loans to white low income, and continued to deny minorities of same qualifications. When this news story broke, the CRA of 1977 started to be enforced/paid attention to. Clinton didn't create the CRA. He did push and eventually amend the CRA to further be enforced...with the key aspect to help low and moderate level income families receive loans, small businesses, minority owned businesses, etc. Nothing about middle income america and above.

Later, around 2001, ie, bush 2 era, the banks then used the looser regulatory act as a means to "help" all income levels. This was not the intent of the law, and of course the republicans didn't fix it (because they didn't see a problem either, hind site and all). During Clinton era, "sub prime" and "alt-A" loans were not the way loans were primarily sold. The sub prime/alt-a crises is solely bore by the bush2 era.

So, yes, you're statement is correct that Clinton had a hand in the current housing crises...by creating the means for banks to take advantage of a loophole, that no one bothered after two plus decades of existence, to "fix". IE, no one believed there was a problem... So the loophole was there since 1977...

So....who's fault was it? Jimmy Carter was in office for the creation of the CRA....

That's the housing side in america at least.

As for the deregulating things like derivatives...yeah, he fkd up...but companies and their lawyers aren't that stupid.

But to the point of this thread now, that's why I would hope Hillary learned something from Old Billy. Businesses spent more money, private investing was high, things were good. Yes, Greed brought it down...but not like we are down now. The dot-com bubble bursting was far less a disaster than the current banking/housing/automobile maker crises is.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

Kluden wrote:Later, around 2001, ie, bush 2 era, the banks then used the looser regulatory act as a means to "help" all income levels. This was not the intent of the law, and of course the republicans didn't fix it (because they didn't see a problem either, hind site and all). During Clinton era, "sub prime" and "alt-A" loans were not the way loans were primarily sold. The sub prime/alt-a crises is solely bore by the bush2 era.
Gonna have to call you on this one, because I was working for a loan servicer that was constantly being gobbled up by bigger banks throwing around sub-prime paper even before we got kicked out of our offices due to them being used for bush's presidential campaign headquarters. These were loans with people "paying" around 30% interest. Everything "exploded" (probably a bad term, but can't think of another) with 9/11 and our latest "parent company," Credit Suisse losing offices in the WTC.
Aabidano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aabidano »

Kluden wrote:So, yes, you're statement is correct that Clinton had a hand in the current housing crises...by creating the means for banks to take advantage of a loophole, that no one bothered after two plus decades of existence, to "fix". IE, no one believed there was a problem... So the loophole was there since 1977...
Towards the end of the Clinton administration people were screaming the end was coming, the writing was already on the wall. All the way through Bush's second term they were shooting and discrediting the messengers. Because they were all making a lot of money at no personal risk.
Kluden wrote:As for the deregulating things like derivatives...yeah, he fkd up...but companies and their lawyers aren't that stupid.
No they aren't, people at companies, mainly investment banks like G-S made sure the law was written and deals created shielding most of them from personal exposure, as long as they managed to unload the potato fast enough when things were falling apart. They all ran off giggling with big buckets of money when things fell apart. After the crash they were plowing bailout cash into the same crap investments while the republicans squealed like pigs to keep it legal.

People in the bush administration were still trying to get SS money "privatized" - put into the open market right until the bitter end, long after the sky had begun to fall.
...that's why I would hope Hillary learned something from Old Billy. Businesses spent more money, private investing was high, things were good. Yes, Greed brought it down...but not like we are down now. The dot-com bubble bursting was far less a disaster than the current banking/housing/automobile maker crises is.
People learned they could make an assload of money with no risk buying politicians & legislation. Wouldn't expect much more of a lesson than that. The market is being pumped now for another dive. And the same people will profit again.
Kluden
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kluden »

I don't think we disagree. Just saying when it comes to blame on Clinton personally...its not just him. Its every single damn one of the suits we've elected since 1977...and counting.

On the 2001 dealio, I'm using that as the turning year for the conventional vs. sub prime loan writing uptick. Up until 2001'ish, conventional was still the vast majority of the vehicles used to loan money to consumers. around that time, it dropped drastically. I think conventional will always be the "majority" loan type....but sub prime went from a <10% thing to like 20+% in a period starting around 2001.
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

The problem isn't one president or all presidents. The problem is capitalism.
Leonaerd
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Leonaerd »

Claiming capitalism is the problem implies that no other system is corruptible.

It's people who are the problem. We don't care enough to vote to keep the system fair. Especially young people. We simply don't vote.
Kluden
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kluden »

Spang wrote:The problem isn't one president or all presidents. The problem is capitalism.
its a presidential discussion thread. But you are right, its every politician. Vote in the self serving, get nothing in return.
Bubba Grizz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Bubba Grizz »

The only job for a first term president is to get a second term. Once they get it who knows what movtivates them.

I hated Scott Walker when he first became Governor of Wisconsin. I thought he was shifty and underhanded and didn't like the way he got things done. Now, my views have changed somewhat. He got results. More than I expected. I can respect that. He may have my vote for the next election. Largely because I don't trust the person running against him.
Tyek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Tyekk
PSN ID: Tyek

Post by Tyek »

Spang wrote:The problem isn't one president or all presidents. The problem is capitalism.
Because Socialism and Communism have done wonders for the people who lived under those systems. Like others said, it is the people that cause the problems.
When I was younger, I used to think that the world was doing it to me and that the world owes me some thing…When you're a teeny bopper, that's what you think. I'm 40 now, I don't think that anymore, because I found out it doesn't f--king work. One has to go through that. For the people who even bother to go through that, most assholes just accept what it is anyway and get on with it." - John Lennon
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

Tyek wrote:Because Socialism and Communism have done wonders for the people who lived under those systems. Like others said, it is the people that cause the problems.
Socialism and communism are not people, yet you claim that people are the problem. Capitalism is not people, either, but the wealthy who benefit the most from capitalism, and the working-class, especially working-class people of color, who are most oppressed by capitalism, are. Slavery is the foundation of capitalism. That cannot be fixed. Capitalism is the problem. More people voting for Republicans or Democrats, puppets for the wealthy, will not solve this problem. Capitalism must be abolished.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Spang wrote:Capitalism must be abolished.
Quit bitching and provide a solution. I can't stand people that whine their entire life about everything under the sun but offer no solution.

(don't cut and paste) Provide a detailed solution to world conflict that will work and why it will work.
Aabidano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aabidano »

Winnow wrote:
Quit bitching and provide a solution.
That's the rub, yes it's hosed but nothing better has presented itself which works on any scale larger than a small village. Even there you have conflicts and/or expulsion of dissenters.

The Amish split their towns at ~150 (iirc) residents as they've learned that's about as big as you can get before losing the sense of community with it's workable peer pressure/conformity and begin having unrest.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Winnow wrote:
Quit bitching and provide a solution. I can't stand people that whine their entire life about everything under the sun but offer no solution.

(don't cut and paste) Provide a detailed solution to world conflict that will work and why it will work.
But you love Republicans? How the fuck does that work?
Aabidano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aabidano »

Fairweather Pure wrote:But you love Republicans? How the fuck does that work?
About the time of the financial meltdown a Chinese communist party commentator refereed to our situation as "end stage capitalism."
Tyek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Tyekk
PSN ID: Tyek

Post by Tyek »

edit, nm....forgot who I was trying to talk to. No point.
When I was younger, I used to think that the world was doing it to me and that the world owes me some thing…When you're a teeny bopper, that's what you think. I'm 40 now, I don't think that anymore, because I found out it doesn't f--king work. One has to go through that. For the people who even bother to go through that, most assholes just accept what it is anyway and get on with it." - John Lennon
Aabidano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aabidano »

At the pool store earlier, woman ranting at the top of her lungs about the depth and breadth of Obamas' evil. Totally amazing level of brainwashing on someone's part. He's not the emporer.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Obama sucks! He can't even help keep the senate for the second half of his term.

Prepare for Republican President, Republican Senate and Republican House in 2016.

Thanks to Obama it will be a death sentence to mention Stem Cell Research and our defense budget will triple. Historically, he will go down as a worse president than George W Bush.

Bush: Threw perfect opening pitch strike during 911 World Series Game. Made great speech after 911.

Obama: Threw opening pitch for meaningless game into the dirt. Pimped his war room photo op during Bin Laden's death as much as possible. (Hillary will as well)

You are fools if any one of you vote for kill-anyone-in-her-path, oh, I-suddenly-got-a-concussion-after-fucking-up-Benghazi-to-save-my-election-hopes Hillary.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

It should be sobering for the White House that when Obama took office, Democrats had 59 senators and 256 House members; after Tuesday night, they will likely have 45-47 senators and some 190 House members. That is one of the biggest slides in congressional seats of any modern president. Surely, his White House has to take serious responsibility
Dude has been useless and it's a shame he won a second term. We have another wasted two years to go.
Leonaerd
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Leonaerd »

Everybody is useless. Politicians and citizens. 11% approval rate congress at 96% incumbency, and only 37% even voted.

Then again, if voting made a difference, they wouldn't let us do it.