Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Canelek

Re: Game of Thrones - Season 4

Post by Canelek »

Looks like many of the bases are being covered in the trailer. I am wondering how much overlap (if any) there will be with 'Crows. Also, I am curious to see how far they deviate from the source material. To date, it has (IMO) worked out splendidly, with the HBO side having an easier to follow (if not better) narrative.

Well, I suppose it is not necessary to over-analyze or quibble--just sit back and enjoy the ride. ;)

I muches <3 me some Hannibal + GOT overlap, not to mention all the other winter/spring viewing goodies out there!
en kærlighed småkager
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

That trailer has over 6 million views in a day. I guess people are still interested in the show!

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Just a quick comment. Game of Thrones s04e01 has brought file sharing sites and usenet to its knees. My usual 150 Mbps connection is cruising along at about 1.5 Mbps trying to download Game of Thrones and File sharing keeps crashing. Probably the best way to get this short term is torrent sites if you don't have HBO.

The most pirated series in history is living up to its reputation.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

[Show]
Poor Joffrey

--
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Post by Funkmasterr »

Aslanna wrote:
[Show]
Poor Joffrey
[Show]
Said no one, ever.
Kluden
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kluden »

That episode was one I was waiting on for a long time.
[Show]
Reason being, the book never said who done it...so I was thinking it would be easier to spot once played out visually. I felt after watching the episode, that it was clearly the battered ex who did it.
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

Kluden wrote:That episode was one I was waiting on for a long time.
[Show]
Reason being, the book never said who done it...so I was thinking it would be easier to spot once played out visually. I felt after watching the episode, that it was clearly the battered ex who did it.
[Show]
I thought the book pointed to the Tyrells. Something about the aunt old lady fixing Sansa's gemmed hair net. The Tears of Lys poison was disguised as a gem or somesuch.
en kærlighed småkager
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

[Show]
[Show]
My guess is that the necklace/hair thingy that the knight gave to Sansa the previous episode had poison in it. He told her to make sure she wore it The old lady (mom of the future queen) fiddled with it before things got nasty at the wedding. I think somehow that necklace/hair thingy was the cause of Joffrey's death
edit: doh canalek responded while I was typing.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

[Show]
[Show]
I'm not so sure it was. I mean she picked up the goblet but he appeared to drink from it after that.
Bah bunch of message posters while I was rewatching!

--
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Supposedly the answer here but I'm not going to read it and see! Would rather wait and see how the show handles it. If you do and it does have the answer don't post it here even with a spoiler tag omg.

(Spoiler... Don't hover over the link and see the url it's pointing to unless you've seen Season 4 Episode 2 or have read the books!)

--
Kluden
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kluden »

Yeah, I remember all that in the books, but it wasn't all straight up in the least. So circumstantial.
[Show]
So when did she put this gem in the cup, in the wine? The cup was thrown around that the last person to grasp it, beyond Tyrian, had to be it, no? So if the grand mama put it in the cup, than the poison was spilled upon Tyrian's head...or did she sneak off and put the whole thing into the flask itself, possibly condemning others before it got the intended target? This is why I think it shows dearest Sansa as la femme fatale.

I need to rewatch the sequence. I'm going off the first watch last night.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Yeah you need to rewatch it and play follow the goblet. It's around the time the pie comes in.

--
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

Ah yes, that article seems accurate...been a while since I read 'Storm.

A couple thoughts:
[Show]
They seem to be advancing the Theon arc quite a bit since he is mainly missing until 'Dance.

I like that they added dialog between Cercei and Brienne. Interesting to see what the do with Brienne's 'Feast arc.

Where did the dwarf pig-mount go? Must have had trouble finding a pig-riding dwarf during casting. They are out there, I assure you!
en kærlighed småkager
Kluden
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kluden »

OK, i rewatched ep2 before this weeks episode. I see now. Yeah, that's not in the book at all, all that handling. So I guess GRRM decided to show it, since he never wrote it well enough :)

On this past week's episode...did anything happen, or is it just me that it was like a week of nothing?
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Kluden wrote:On this past week's episode...did anything happen, or is it just me that it was like a week of nothing?
Basically they just reinforced that everyone you originally thought was a bastard, and I don't mean lineage-wise, was still a bastard despite all the previous episodes where you might have started to sympathize with them.
Last edited by Aslanna on April 23, 2014, 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

--
Lynks
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: launchpad1979

Post by Lynks »

Kluden wrote:OK, i rewatched ep2 before this weeks episode. I see now. Yeah, that's not in the book at all, all that handling. So I guess GRRM decided to show it, since he never wrote it well enough :)
Yes they do. They specifically mention that Tyrell adjusts Sansa's hairnet. Later on, Sansa says that one of the jewels is missing. It's a minor detail so it gets over looked. I had to read it a second time to pick up on it after searching through forums for possible suspects a few years back.
Kluden
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kluden »

Lynks wrote:
Kluden wrote:OK, i rewatched ep2 before this weeks episode. I see now. Yeah, that's not in the book at all, all that handling. So I guess GRRM decided to show it, since he never wrote it well enough :)
Yes they do. They specifically mention that Tyrell adjusts Sansa's hairnet. Later on, Sansa says that one of the jewels is missing. It's a minor detail so it gets over looked. I had to read it a second time to pick up on it after searching through forums for possible suspects a few years back.
No no, I meant the handling of the cup/goblet. he totally wrote about the necklace, no doubt, and the missing piece after grannie farts with it. But after that...the book is mum. We are left to conjecture.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Yeah, in the books I just accepted that it was tyrion and moved on.
Kluden
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kluden »

Well I guess last night's episode clears up all that madness :)
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Kluden wrote:Well I guess last night's episode clears up all that madness :)

It also adds new stuff that wasn't in the book. Great news for the book readers.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Yeah, I wonder if there were complaints/confusion expressed by readers about the ambiguity of all that, or if they just assumed that TV viewers are all as stupid as me and wouldn't pick up on it.
Kluden
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kluden »

I was curious as well...but what I think happened, is that the show writers told GRRM how shitty of a job he did trying to write like Sir Doyle, and told him for TV, you're just going to have to come out of the closet with it. Well, at least after GRRM told them now, he didn't have any further plans for that story in his books...and then they made fun of him for closing a story line with conjecture...and they all laughed...and then GRRM ate 2 pints of ice cream.
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

Most of that episode was some brand new shit. No complaints here as it looks like they are setting up the next couple seasons to move at a less meandering pace than AFFC and ADWD.
en kærlighed småkager
Lynks
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Lynks »

Winnow wrote:

It also adds new stuff that wasn't in the book. Great news for the book readers.
I was wondering about that. I thought I slept through the books not knowing what was going on. I guess they can't wait for old Georgy to finish up/
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Good episode despite the boring Daenerys storyline that just drags on and on. But hey at least she didn't free any slaves this episode!

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Daenerys storyline has been super boring the past 6 episodes or so.

Maybe less kids will be named after her now.

Tyrion is doing a great job as always.

Who will he pick to fight for him!? Who will fight for the crown? Drama!
[Show]
at least Tyrion can quit being concerned with Shae
Kluden
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kluden »

They are dragging a bit...his fatness must have told them he has no intention of releasing another book for a decade or so. :)

I'll take it though, at any speed, with these actors. Its just so much fun to watch, with the skill that is on display with these scripts. This could have easily been a fkd up scifi channel debacle, but they bring it every week. Thank god for that.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Kluden wrote:They are dragging a bit...his fatness must have told them he has no intention of releasing another book for a decade or so. :)

I'll take it though, at any speed, with these actors. Its just so much fun to watch, with the skill that is on display with these scripts. This could have easily been a fkd up scifi channel debacle, but they bring it every week. Thank god for that.
It's the best show on TV. The acting and range of characters and political intrigue is outstanding.

The Theon storyline is a little disturbing.
Lynks
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Lynks »

I had said this before season 3. Book 3 could have easily been done in 1 season. Half the book was just fluff. This is why they added the Theon part now.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Squish! Saw that coming. That's why you don't get cocky.

--
Kluden
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kluden »

What the fk is with adding the dumb useless stuff to storyline? I don't remember the whole grey worm and hot chick stuff from the books. Were people really clambering for more storyline with grey worm?

The arya part was great. I LOL'd too.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Kluden wrote:What the fk is with adding the dumb useless stuff to storyline? I don't remember the whole grey worm and hot chick stuff from the books. Were people really clambering for more storyline with grey worm?
Having not read the books, the grey worm storyline has been the worst part of the whole show past the first season.

For a moment, I thought we were going to have to wait yet another episode before "the fight". As it is, we still have to wait for what happens.

The Daenerys Targaryen storyline remains the dullest.

Overall the show is excellent.
Kluden
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kluden »

Yeah, the Mereen shit is just dumb after they moved in. Not sure how they will redo book timelines to make things more interesting. Actually, it appears they will make things more interesting by inventing a love story with a dude with no junk (and an uber hot girl, no doubt)...and the exile of Sir Friendzone. Yeah, that makes Mereen more enjoyable...sure.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Not having read the books (!) I just have to say if Tyrion does get his head lopped off there's very little else about the show that appeals to me. With the exception of the current Arya/Hound storyline as it adds some much needed lighthearted/comedic moments. But now that they got where they were going will that continue? Honestly I could watch a show with nothing but them wandering the country.

Obviously they added the Grey Worm scene to give viewers their weekly dose of nudity. Personally I would have preferred that 5+ minutes been spent on characters most people actually care about.

--
Kluden
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kluden »

And another item, did they run out of production money...as in I don't remember the dragons just being gone at Mereen...so what's up with that? they ate the shepherds goats...then nothing for weeks.

and sadly, we are in for wasted 5+ minutes a week for the foreseeable future with Grey Worm/Hot Chick scenes of uncomfortableness until she checks for his package status. They will drag that out for the cliffhanger of season 5.

I forgot to ask last season, but did anyone else feel underwhelmed by Mance? When I read the book, I saw him as younger and far more dashing. Not that I don't think that actor Ciarán Hinds is cool...but he seems too old. Whatever, doesn't really matter, just a side observation.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Yeah, the Arya scene cracked me up. I'm also getting kind of annoyed with all the pointless crap they're adding in and/or changing. It's not like there isn't plenty of material for them to use from the books, and it's not like there's any shortage of potential for nudity/romance without adding anything either. It's just annoying.

I just hope fat ass hurries up with the books, because at this rate I foresee the show getting ahead by the final book.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Great Episode.

Action in this episode made up for the entire season of being more on the side of politics. Is this the first episode that all takes place in the same location?

One more episode this season!
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Winnow wrote:Is this the first episode that all takes place in the same location?
I believe Blackwater was as well.
The entire episode is dedicated to the climactic Battle of the Blackwater, in which the Lannister army, commanded by Lord Tyrion, defends the city of King's Landing as Stannis Baratheon's fleet stages an attack at Blackwater Bay. Unlike all previous episodes, "Blackwater" does not follow the parallel storylines of the characters outside of King's Landing.

--
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

Neil Marshall again directed the fuck out of this episode. He had also directed Blackwater. Wonderful crane shot!

Really neat battle episode all around. I was particularly impressed by that bigass anchor trap and the giants. Nice mammoth fellas!

Unlike the last two seasons, the final episode this season should be quite more diverse and interesting!
en kærlighed småkager
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

I was kind of bored by this episode, to be honest. The wall wasn't one of the more interesting parts in the books for me, either. More changing of the story to add romantic value, which is plain stupid.

Spoilers beyond this episode below.
[Show]
Ygritte's last words being "you know nothing, John snow" was tragically corny. I hope they introduce Catelyn Stark back into the mix in the finale. I could see that being what happens right at the end. I was pretty disappointed that fatty reintroduced her in the books then just kinda forgot about her again.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

I didn't really care for it either. It wasn't terrible I just didn't want the whole episode to be this battle since I find the Wall storylines to be my least favorite. Well second least favorite since the Danerys (sp?) storyline is worse. The wall anchor thing was pretty cool though.

--
Kluden
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kluden »

Totally agree that will be the finale's cliff hanger,
[Show]
Lady Stoneheart...and then cut to Arya sailing east...and then cut to The Hand on the shitter...

I guess THIS was inevitable. I laughed.
Kwonryu DragonFist
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Kwonryu DragonFist »

They've surpassed Sopranos as the best TV-show now ;)
Thanks to Thess
---xx0O0xx---
The best site known to man!
--++http://kwonryu.mybrute.com++--
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Crazy season ender and it was paced pretty well. It made up for the boring episode last week!

Those skeletons or whatever looked really good.

--
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Honestly I walked away from the finale kind of irritated. They're changing more and more of the story as the show progresses and it's lessening my desire to keep watching.
[Show]
They've completely changed Tyrion's character at this point. I get that they did a better job of explaining that it wasn't him that killed Joffrey, but that doesn't mean that his departure from Jaime couldn't go the same way. Telling Jaime that he did kill him after Jaime had freed him signified the change in Tyrion that we see in him down the road, and I think taking that away was a mistake.

Also, am I completely remembering the books wrong, or did Arya and the Hound never run into Brienne in the books? I'm pretty sure they didn't, and that was just another change in a long line of them that didn't need to be made, it added no value to the show.

Also, they've rushed Bran's story and skipped way ahead with him, but other things they're way behind on introducing (Lady Stoneheart, which I maintain is the way they should've ended this season.
Not done watching the show yet, but if they keep getting more heavy handed with the stuff they're changing next season, I might give up on it.
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

Not sure if I agree with you here. I thought they did an excellent job of changing the right bits enough to take the story in a better direction. Remember, a ton of shit in the books is just unrequited spitballing. Kind of confused why anyone would be ready to stop watching a series that has yet to even approach a shark jumping scenario.

I was hoping for a last sequence in Braavos but I thought it wrapped nicely.

And those skeletons yeah! Good stuff.
en kærlighed småkager
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

Aslanna wrote:Crazy season ender and it was paced pretty well. It made up for the boring episode last week!

Those skeletons or whatever looked really good.
Sure, wall stuff is not the best in the books. But, that was the BA Baracus of movie/TV battles. They cut out all the pov turmoil, why complain? Tidy as fuck in my book. In the case of that episode, it was by far better done than Martin wrote.

Why all the bitching lately about the show? Hard to please motherfuckers :p
en kærlighed småkager
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Whether it follows the book exactly or not, it's the best thing on TV. What would you "give up" on it to watch instead?

Daenerys Targaryen was once again the biggest snoozer part.
[Show]
I can't believe they're STILL fucking trotting out boring shit city slaves, etc to talk to her. Jesus. Who thought an entire season of that would be interesting? I can't imagine it being any more interesting in the books but I haven't read those.
This show would have been cancelled after this season if it was just her story being considered.

Some new developments in the season finale make me interested in the next season.
[Show]
The big lady vs hound fight was great. I had no idea who would win that one. Also, good to see Tyrion still alive and out of the slammer. Special effects on the skeletons was very good.
Kluden
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kluden »

I'm all for changing the small details from the books. Like Cano said, the books are spitballed together, out of order jumble de bumble. Not good for TV, so they fixed it.

The finale was fun, wrapped it up nice with a little brown bow...see what I did there? he was on the crapper, teehee!

I will give you that they shouldn't have deleted Tyrion's zinger.