Ellen Page's coming out speech

What do you think about the world?
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Ellen Page's coming out speech

Post by Winnow »

What a great speech. She comes out around 5:20 mark but the entire speech is worth listening to. She's got a talent for public speaking.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hlCEIUATzg&hd=1

Well done. There are still plenty of morons out there that have issues with gay people so, "who cares" really isn't a good response but with any luck, would be a good one in the future.
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Re: Ellen Page's coming out speech

Post by Spang »

Could she draw in the third grade?
Make love, fuck war, peace will save us.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Post by Fairweather Pure »

I thought she came out years ago. File me under the "who cares" crowd.

The gay football dude was brave. An actress coming out in Hollywood is just passe at this point. Those barriers were knocked down a long time ago. My black female co-worker had a great response when she saw it - "Yeah, and I sat in the front of the bus today. I didn't need to make a speech about it!" It was pretty funny!

Still, it's obviously very personal to her and she was very genuine. It's not like it was a shock though.
Leonaerd
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Leonaerd »

The gay football dude was brave. An actress coming out in Hollywood is just passe at this point. Those barriers were knocked down a long time ago.
Disagree. Or did they legalize gay marriage everywhere?
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Fairweather Pure wrote:I thought she came out years ago. File me under the "who cares" crowd.

The gay football dude was brave. An actress coming out in Hollywood is just passe at this point. Those barriers were knocked down a long time ago. My black female co-worker had a great response when she saw it - "Yeah, and I sat in the front of the bus today. I didn't need to make a speech about it!" It was pretty funny!

Still, it's obviously very personal to her and she was very genuine. It's not like it was a shock though.
And with those comments it looks like you didn't actually watch the speech.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

It's ok if you're gay Winnow. I'll still love you.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

You can certainly tell the region of the country people are from on this board.
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

Fairweather Pure wrote:The gay football dude was brave.
It is brave for any LGBT person to come out in a heterosexist society such as the United States.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Spang wrote:
It is brave for any LGBT person to come out in a heterosexist society such as the United States.
I don't disagree with this, but anyone who blazes the path is inherently taking more risk than those who support a movement once it's already pretty much accepted. Ellen is coming out at the tail end of the LGBT crusade!
Leonaerd
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Leonaerd »

You're an idiot.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

I repeat:
Winnow wrote: Well done. There are still plenty of morons out there that have issues with gay people so, "who cares" really isn't a good response but with any luck, would be a good one in the future.
I forgive Fairweather for being dense when it comes to this. He was probably raised in a home with lots of prejudice. If he can't blame his parents, that just makes him twice as sad. (I'd pull the "my parent's taught me to be this way card" Fair if I were you)

Just last week on the front page of CNN was an article about Arizona passing a law that allows restaurant owners to ban gays from their establishments.

Yeah, all is well.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Post by Funkmasterr »

Ummm, winnow. Stop not being a douche right this minute. It's fucking up the balance of things.
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

Fairweather Pure wrote:Ellen is coming out at the tail end of the LGBT crusade!
Try telling that to all of the LGBT youth who are contemplating suicide right now. It's too late to tell those who were successful.
Tyek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Tyekk
PSN ID: Tyek

Post by Tyek »

Winnow wrote:You can certainly tell the region of the country people are from on this board.

ummm isn't Arizona mixing Church and State with their new proposed bill allowing businesses to deny service to anyone (i.e. gay, mixed race, another religion) based on their religious beliefs. I don't know the whole story behind the bill, but saw some crap about it and cannot believe this will last 2 minutes in court when it gets contested.
When I was younger, I used to think that the world was doing it to me and that the world owes me some thing…When you're a teeny bopper, that's what you think. I'm 40 now, I don't think that anymore, because I found out it doesn't f--king work. One has to go through that. For the people who even bother to go through that, most assholes just accept what it is anyway and get on with it." - John Lennon
Tyek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Tyek »

Spang wrote:

There are really very few countries this is acceptable in.
It sucks because frankly who gives a shit who someone else sleeps with? As long as they are of age, consentual and not an animal it should not matter.
When I was younger, I used to think that the world was doing it to me and that the world owes me some thing…When you're a teeny bopper, that's what you think. I'm 40 now, I don't think that anymore, because I found out it doesn't f--king work. One has to go through that. For the people who even bother to go through that, most assholes just accept what it is anyway and get on with it." - John Lennon
Zaelath
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zaelath »

Spang wrote:
Try telling that to all of the LGBT youth who are contemplating suicide right now. It's too late to tell those who were successful.
Everything's a fuckin' Crusade with you.
May 2003 - "Mission Accomplished"
June 2005 - "The mission isn't easy, and it will not be accomplished overnight"
-- G W Bush, freelance writer for The Daily Show.
Kilmoll the Sexy
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: bunkeru2k

Post by Kilmoll the Sexy »

Tyek wrote:
Winnow wrote:You can certainly tell the region of the country people are from on this board.

ummm isn't Arizona mixing Church and State with their new proposed bill allowing businesses to deny service to anyone (i.e. gay, mixed race, another religion) based on their religious beliefs. I don't know the whole story behind the bill, but saw some crap about it and cannot believe this will last 2 minutes in court when it gets contested.
Honestly, I agree with this bill. It should not even need to be based off of religious views is the problem with it. If I am a business owner and I only want to do business with one person and refuse service to everyone else, that is my prerogative. Of course, a business that wants to exclude people purely based off of sexuality or race is not going to last very long. Frankly, I think any Christian who would refuse service based off sexuality or race or anything like that is a hypocrite and is making up their own rules.
Leonaerd
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Leonaerd »

I can agree with what Kilmoll is saying. We should accept cultural niches. It's just too bad that that turns into shitting on the types of people we don't like.
Tyek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Tyek »

Kilmoll the Sexy wrote:
Tyek wrote:

Honestly, I agree with this bill. It should not even need to be based off of religious views is the problem with it. If I am a business owner and I only want to do business with one person and refuse service to everyone else, that is my prerogative. Of course, a business that wants to exclude people purely based off of sexuality or race is not going to last very long. Frankly, I think any Christian who would refuse service based off sexuality or race or anything like that is a hypocrite and is making up their own rules.
You can already refuse service under certain conditions. Based on the little I have seen of that law, it is written to be abused. It will get thrown out in court. An anti-disrimination law that allows me to discriminate.
Tyek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Tyek »

Zaelath wrote:
Spang wrote:
Everything's a fuckin' Crusade with you.
HEY!!!! He has been waiting for this topic forever so he can finally type heterosexist, give him a little leeway here. I bet he was excited.
Aabidano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aabidano »

File me under the "who cares" crowd too. No, I didn't watch the video. I'm sure it's important to her but others' sexual preference is a matter of indifference to me.

She's a Canadian actress in Hollywood; unless she steps out and actually does something useful afterwards this has no bearing on anyone or anything. Except maybe satisfying a teenage need for drama. Similar to using the term heterosexist.
"Life is what happens while you're making plans for later."
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

These responses are pretty entertaining and revealing. No one is saying it's a game changing speech. It was a good speech and still needed as can be easily demonstrated.
Aabidano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aabidano »

Winnow wrote:These responses are pretty entertaining and revealing. No one is saying it's a game changing speech. It was a good speech and still needed as can be easily demonstrated.
Change is still needed but in her environment it's like she took her clothes off at a nudist colony by this point?

Reminds me of the republican adverts being run on TV right now that only appeal to people who would not vote any other way. Why bother?
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

so....you didn't watch the speech.
Leonaerd
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Leonaerd »

Change is still needed but in her environment it's like she took her clothes off at a nudist colony by this point?
This thread.
Aabidano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aabidano »

Bubba Grizz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Bubba Grizz »

I guess I can be kind of lumped in with the "Who Cares" crowd. Only in so much as I don't really care if a person is gay, straight or other. I form my opinions on their actions rather than their labels. What I don't like are people who think they are something more special than someone else and flaunt their gayness, religiousness, or what have you ness, and expect special treatment as a result. You're Gay? So what. Can you fix my car or not?
Leonaerd
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Leonaerd »

What I don't like are people who think they are something more special than someone else and flaunt their gayness, religiousness, or what have you ness, and expect special treatment as a result.
If only religious institutions paid taxes. Would rake 80 billion / year in America.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Bubba Grizz wrote:I guess I can be kind of lumped in with the "Who Cares" crowd. Only in so much as I don't really care if a person is gay, straight or other. I form my opinions on their actions rather than their labels. What I don't like are people who think they are something more special than someone else and flaunt their gayness, religiousness, or what have you ness, and expect special treatment as a result. You're Gay? So what. Can you fix my car or not?
"Who cares" works great for you but unfortunately gays still get harassed, beat up, etc. for jsut being gay and Ellen Page was addressing a conference regarding that as much as "coming out". Who cares is great for you but it's still nowhere near a "who cares issue for the general public although each individual probably feels that way.
Zaelath
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zaelath »

Winnow wrote: "Who cares" works great for you but unfortunately gays still get harassed, beat up, etc. for jsut being gay and Ellen Page was addressing a conference regarding that as much as "coming out". Who cares is great for you but it's still nowhere near a "who cares issue for the general public although each individual probably feels that way.
People get harassed, beat up, etc, just because all the time without the benefit of being gay. I'm all for supporting giving gay people every right straight people have, but that includes getting their ass kicked for being different and not having the decency to blend in with the crowd the same way the rest of the freaks and geeks have to.

Until Gene Roddenberry's vision of the planet coming together and uniting in harmony to pick fights with aliens instead, I don't see what makes the gays special.
May 2003 - "Mission Accomplished"
June 2005 - "The mission isn't easy, and it will not be accomplished overnight"
-- G W Bush, freelance writer for The Daily Show.
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

Fox News called: they want their bigoted rhetoric back.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Winnow wrote:"who cares" really isn't a good response but with any luck, would be a good one in the future.
The future is now Winnow. You sure do pick the dumbest shit to try and claim the moral high ground on. The Republican Party, whom you support, is single handidly responsible for not only keeping the anti gay hate alive, but also throwing as much fuel on the fire as possible.

You implying that I am some hate monger raised in a house of prejudice is really a shot in the dark. My best friend is gay. My uncle is gay. I have 2 gay cousins. I dated openly bisexual women. My daughter's kindergarten class has a transgender student. My wife and I are part of a commity of parents working with the school, child, and the parents to ensure lack of bullying and helping the other children to understand and accept her.

Basically, I did more for the LGBT community last night between 6:30-7:30pm than you have in your entire worthless, selfish life.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

So "who cares" was not the appropriate response. Some people care. You may not.

Getting back to my original post.

1. I said it was a good speech.
2. Said Ellen Page has a talent for public speaking
3. Mentioned that there are still plenty of morons that have a prejudice against gays out of ignorance (religion) or being just plain idiots.

It's remains a good speech. The responses were interesting to get an idea of what people felt, and most (or all) didn't even watch the speech. The stereotyping was rampant "she's a celebrity so it doesn't matter!" People find excuses instead of watching the actual speech or choosing to not comment about it is telling. Not one person commented on the speech itself.
Aabidano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aabidano »

Winnow wrote:...
I didn't watch because I don't care. For most people that's about the best you're going to get.

Which doesn't mean they support any sort of injustice, thinking back to a comment Sueven made. What it does mean is that on the list of things they can give a shit about on any particular day it doesn't impact them enough to rise to the top.

So stop supporting republicans & the loony far right that's driving the bus? Go out and get involved in a useful way as Fair seems to have done?
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

If you cared just a little less you wouldn't have responded to the thread. People care enough it seems to say they don't care. My primary focus was on her presentation but all the responses were due to the subject matter.
Aabidano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aabidano »

So they care about #3 just a hair more than #1 and #2 :)

She doesn't have the draw in my case to make me want to listen to her on any topic I wouldn't otherwise be interested in. Had no clue who she was until I looked her up yesterday.

Someone posted a link to a Richard Feynman talk elsewhere, I watched just because it was him.

(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WAwDvbI ... F758E2A57D)
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Who is Ellen Page and why do I care if she is gay or not?
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Thanks to Ellen Page the Arizona Anti Gay bill won't pass:

http://money.cnn.com/2014/02/25/news/ec ... ?hpt=hp_t1
Aabidano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aabidano »

"When the legislature passes bills like this, it creates a reputation that Arizona is judgmental and unwelcoming
Thought that had been well established?
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

Fairweather Pure wrote:My best friend is gay. My uncle is gay. I have 2 gay cousins. I dated openly bisexual women. My daughter's kindergarten class has a transgender student.
Just like the racist who says he has a black friend doesn't prove that he's not a racist, none of this proves that you're not a homophobe.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Spang wrote:
Fairweather Pure wrote:My best friend is gay. My uncle is gay. I have 2 gay cousins. I dated openly bisexual women. My daughter's kindergarten class has a transgender student.
Just like the racist who says he has a black friend doesn't prove that he's not a racist, none of this proves that you're not a homophobe.
Coming from the biggest racist on the board, your observation is taken with a grain of salt.
Leonaerd
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Leonaerd »

biggest racist? but i thought he's asian. prob smallest lol amirite? guys?

guyz?
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

Fairweather Pure wrote:Coming from the biggest racist on the board...
But I have a Black friend! And if I had a daughter, there would probably be a Black person in her class!
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Spang wrote:
Fairweather Pure wrote:Coming from the biggest racist on the board...
But I have a Black friend! And if I had a daughter, there would probably be a Black person in her class!
I don't believe you for a second. I need more proof you're not a raging racist. Until that time, I will assume you are.
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

Fairweather Pure wrote:I don't believe you for a second. I need more proof you're not a raging racist. Until that time, I will assume you are.
Have fun with that. I couldn't care less what you think of me.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Spang wrote:
Fairweather Pure wrote:I don't believe you for a second. I need more proof you're not a raging racist. Until that time, I will assume you are.
Have fun with that. I couldn't care less what you think of me.
Typical racist response!
Tyek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Tyek »

Spang wrote:
Spang is comedy gold. I am starting to believe this is some weird Andy Kaufman thing.
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

Tyek wrote:I am starting to believe this is some weird Andy Kaufman thing.
I don't deny that I have Andy Kaufman-level brilliance, but the idea that a person stops being a homophobe once he or she has a gay friend, or his or her son or daughter has a gay classmate, is absolute nonsense.
Bubba Grizz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Bubba Grizz »

What is your definition of a homophobe? Just so we have something to guage against.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Post by Funkmasterr »

Anyone that doesn't salivate like one of pavlov's dogs when they hear a zipper go down or see a cock (or female equivalent) is a total homophobe in spang's book.