The Official PS4 thread!

Get off the damn computer, and play with your TV, it misses you!

Moderators: Funkmasterr, noel

kyoukan
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Re: The Official PS4 thread!

Post by kyoukan »

http://netforbeginners.about.com/od/s/f ... eaming.htm
Streaming, sometimes known as 'background downloading', is the fast-track cousin of regular downloading. In a regular download, you make a duplicate of a large web file or a large software program, sometimes taking 30 minutes to several hours to complete the download. With streaming, you are still downloading, but you start viewing or using the file while it is downloading. With streaming, you can afford to be impatient, and start reaping the benefits of the download within a few moments. Streaming is most valuable when the files in question are larger than 2 or 3 megabytes.
It is super appropriate that the URL says net for beginners because that is what I fucking feel like I am talking to. How you ever found your way out of AOL pedophile chat rooms to here is anyone's guess. I assume you were banned from those, too.

Gakai is/was a cloud gaming service. Just because it streams video to you doesn't make iy "streaming games" which is some weird made up term.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

What you're referring to is just playing a portion of a game thats already downloaded on your hard drive (you idiot). What Sony was talking about at the "reveal" was streaming games completely...you know, like OnLive and Gaikai services do/did. Wrap your pea brain around this concept...think Netflix...you see a movie, you click it, you watch it instantly. No download required. At most you have caching in RAM. Take that concept and apply it to games (probably too much for you to grasp). See games. Click on a game. Play the game instantly. No hard drive required.

Your background downloading is a totally separate feature which both PS4 and Xbox One will have.

Now, keep in mind that Sony hasn't done jack shit yet and streaming games is just a pipe dream for them at the moment and then consider this:
Microsoft's planning and marketing director Albert Penello has told Gamespot that streaming games from servers to your screen is perfectly possible, but that Microsoft needs to work out the cost and decide upon implementation first.
So, Sony chose to hype shit that won't be there day one while Microsoft just mentioned it in passing. Same with Sony practically spitting all over themselves about their awesome "share" button while Microsoft spent about 10 seconds mentioning that Xbox Also supported that feature but you don't even need waste placing a button on the controller to do it like Sony had to do.

Keep in mind that when this tech gets implemented on both platforms, Sony will be trying to do it with some shity network while Microsoft has a rock solid 300K server farm to support it.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

The Elder Scrolls Online publisher Bethesda Softworks wasn't planning to bring the massively multiplayer online game to consoles until Sony broached the subject, said Sony's Adam Boyes in an interview with Game Informer.

"That game was never planned to come to consoles," said Boyes, VP of publisher and developer relations for Sony Computer Entertainment, "and we just kind of kept sitting with [Bethesda] and being like, 'Why not?'"

When Bethesda told Sony that console versions of The Elder Scrolls Online weren't in the cards, Sony offered to facilitate the process.

"They're like, 'We're not planning it,'" Boyes continued. "And I'm like, 'Well, what if we built a plan that we could do that?'"

It may have been Sony who brought up the idea, but The Elder Scrolls Online is now in development on both PlayStation 4 and Xbox One. Still, Boyes is excited that console versions exist at all, and that his team had a hand in making them happen.

"Knowing that a game's coming to console that was never going to come to console, that's the kind of stuff that is, like, 'Yes!' You know, hugely awesome," said Boyes.
Sony even helping out XBO people. You're welcome!
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
kyoukan
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by kyoukan »

Too bad TES Online looks like a boring shitfest. I don't see another MMORPG coming until EQ Next that looks even remotely compelling, except for maybe Wildstar.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Sony Japan hosts early morning streaming press conference on Monday

Sony Computer Entertainment Japan is scheduled to host a press conference in the wee hours of morning on Monday, September 9, says the PlayStation Europe Twitter account. What exactly will be discussed remains a mystery, though it seems almost certain that the PlayStation 4 will be a focal point.

If you'd like to watch the event unfold you can catch a live stream on the official PlayStation.blog. The stream begins at 7 a.m. BST, which translates to 2 a.m. Eastern/11 p.m. Pacific, with the latter technically falling on Sunday night. Sony's translators will be on hand to create a live, English-language transcript of the conference.
Curious what they have to say. Maybe they're making it so you can also draw an "S" on the controller's touchpad if you don't want to hit the "share" button or maybe it's a Ridge Racer for PS4 announcement?
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

I don't think a Japan release date has been made official yet so I'm sure that will be part of it. I wouldn't be surprised if they get it a week or so early like the PS3

--
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Aslanna wrote:I don't think a Japan release date has been made official yet so I'm sure that will be part of it. I wouldn't be surprised if they get it a week or so early like the PS3
Or not. 22-Feb 2014!

--
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

PS Vita TV. Could be interesting.
Outfitted with a PS Vita card slot, it also allows PS Vita TV owners to play Vita games on, well, their TV. In the future, you will be able to use it to stream PS4 games on another television
Price is roughly $100.

--
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Anirask
PSN ID: Anirask

Post by Animalor »

The PSVita TV is a cool idea in principle if Sony and the devs get the remote VITA play right and it works well. As a PS4 extender, this is a genius play.

I don't see this playing a lot of actual vita games because 90% of those available at the moment actually make use of the touch screen. Something the DS3 or DS4 lacks(Yes the DS4 has a touchpad surface but given that you can only approximate the area you're supposed to be touching, I can't see this being particularly accurate if it does translate.).

PS4 launching in Feb 2014 in Japan is just painful. I can't imagine the playerbase being particularly happy about that one.

Slim VITA's are sexy. I hope Sony doesn't sell those at 249$ again and keeps it all at 199$.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Making your home country wait to service foreigners sucks but as the world police, Americans can identify with that kind of sacrifice.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Animalor wrote:PS4 launching in Feb 2014 in Japan is just painful. I can't imagine the playerbase being particularly happy about that one.
From a business perspective it makes sense. It's not like they have any competition from Nintendo or Microsoft in Japan to worry about. May as well direct most of their resources to cranking out machines for NA and EUR.

--
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Animalor »

Aslanna wrote:
Animalor wrote:PS4 launching in Feb 2014 in Japan is just painful. I can't imagine the playerbase being particularly happy about that one.
From a business perspective it makes sense. It's not like they have any competition from Nintendo or Microsoft in Japan to worry about. May as well direct most of their resources to cranking out machines for NA and EUR.
True.. And gamers are such a level headed group of individuals usually too.

My guess is that forums are awash with complaints that Sony is committing treason for favoring the lowly gaijin instead of the Japanese faithful.
kyoukan
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by kyoukan »

Japan is becoming a less desirable market for home consoles. Most Japanese gamers are playing slot machine games on iPhone and Monster Hunter or whatever the 3DS equivalent is. They are still significant, but N. America and Europe is more important. Maybe that will change with a brand new Sony console this year. We know the new Xbox will wallow in irrelevancy there like it always does.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

A lengthy video showing off PS4's sharing features:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWplhhktgqs&=hd1

Sharing will be cool (also available on Xbox One) At one point in the video, one of the actors actually stretches his fingers while using the controller. At least they're honest about it not being comfortable!
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

It also shows the Remote Play feature where you can continue your PS4 game on a Vita wherever you are! XBO has nothing like that.

--
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Animalor »

Aslanna wrote:It also shows the Remote Play feature where you can continue your PS4 game on a Vita wherever you are! XBO has nothing like that.
If Microsoft/Xbox has ANY type of brains, Smartglass 2.0 will be able to do this with Windows 8. The controller could connect with either the console over wifi or USB or the computer/surface via USB.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Adrian Chmielarz wrote:But first, yes, devs I know — and as someone has shown it before in this thread, some other devs already talked about it too — claim that there's 50% speed difference WHEN DEVELOPING in cross-gen/next-gen PS4/XO games. So there we are, I said it and I stand by it.
Not only is PS4 more powerful (by leaps and bounds) but developers can crank out games 50% faster than on XBO!

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Aslanna wrote:
Adrian Chmielarz wrote:But first, yes, devs I know — and as someone has shown it before in this thread, some other devs already talked about it too — claim that there's 50% speed difference WHEN DEVELOPING in cross-gen/next-gen PS4/XO games. So there we are, I said it and I stand by it.
Not only is PS4 more powerful (by leaps and bounds) but developers can crank out games 50% faster than on XBO!
Sounds fishy. Link!
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Yesterday Sony Computer Entertainment surprised pretty much everyone by announcing the PlayStation Vita TV, that was almost immediately available for preorder in Japan. How did Japanese gamers react? Looks like they bought it in droves.

At the moment the Vita-powered microconsole is already sold out on Amazon Japan in both its incarnations (stand alone and value pack including a DualShock 3 controller and an 8 GB memory card).
Sold out!

The PS4/Vita/Vita TV combo seems like it will be a nice ecosystem.

--
kyoukan
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by kyoukan »

would you say its as good, better or worse than Xbox's "Console/Handing your privacy over to the NSA" ecosystem?
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

kyoukan wrote:would you say its as good, better or worse than Xbox's "Console/Handing your privacy over to the NSA" ecosystem?
Better!

Having said that I do have a reservation or two on the Vita TV..

1) How will PSP games look on a 60" 1920x1080 screen? Hopefully they do some sort of upscaling or something. The original PSP resolution is 480x272 so that's quite a bit lower.

2) What will the performance be for remote play. If it requires a lot of bandwidth it may not be a viable option for a lot of people.

Hopefully there will be some reviews in a couple months that will answer those burning questions!

--
kyoukan
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by kyoukan »

The remote play on PSP works fine now.

The PSP and Vita use some kind of nonstandard screen size so it will likely play shit in a window.

the Vita is a sweet piece of hardware. its too bad there are not very many games on it. the japanese seem to be going nuts over it for TGS this year so hopefully it will become cool again and it will get revitalized. mine is literally weighing down paper on my desk right now. it's too bad because it is a very elegant device.

I would like to see what a microsoft hand held would like like. It would probably be the size of 4 shoe boxes duct taped together (and look slightly uglier than that), weigh 60 lbs and have one game. instead of a controller it has a swiper to run your credit card through, and the screen says "YOU WIN" when you swipe it. then it crashes because it's running Windows.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Sony will sell every PS4 at a loss

Masayasu Ito, Sony Computer Entertainment senior vice president, has admitted that for every PS4 console sold, Sony will be losing money. In other words, the cost of manufacturing and shipping the console costs more than the retail price.
Great strategy for a company already in debt! The more they sell, the more their debt grows!
kyoukan
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by kyoukan »

I would explain to you why selling consoles at a loss makes good business sense but your childlike grasp of how economics work combined with your moronic eagerness to spend $500 on an inferior piece of hardware makes it kind of a waste of time.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Winnow seems happy to pay more for a less powerful machine. Odd.

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

kyoukan wrote:I would explain to you why selling consoles at a loss makes good business sense but your childlike grasp of how economics work combined with your moronic eagerness to spend $500 on an inferior piece of hardware makes it kind of a waste of time.
Oh no please continue. Whenever you attempt to say anything about the financial back end of the business it's a field day for me. Don't stop.

You can start with telling me all about Sony trying to make up the money with "plus sales" which Microsoft already does on their more successful "Live" platform and about how all the money is in the overpriced games they sell. (same for Microsoft). You do know that Microsoft crushed Sony in gaming division profits this generation no matter how close the console sales were right? Xbox sold more games per unit. Take a gander:

As of Feb 2013:

Games sold:

Xbox 360 with 732M
PS3 with 635M

----

Number of games available on each platform:

Xbox 360 with 940 retail, 564 downloadable = 1504 total
PS3 with 772 retail, 559 downloadable = 1331 total

So yeah, you sell those consoles Sony! Microsoft is busy making money where it counts. Making more games (for gamerz!) and selling more games per unit (even with RRoD...imagine the numbers without that this next generation), offering the entire package including kinect from day one not to fragment it's user base.

Most people used their PS3 to watch media (i'll link the stats which I already demonstrated on another thread if needed...the PS is for gamers line Sony pumps out is hilarious considering more games, more sales per unit, and more time playing games were on the Xbox platform). Xbox One offers Blu Ray this gen and much better multimedia integration and a rock solid Windows Kernal driving their UI so the casual couch potato crowd has a better chance of migrating to Xbox this round.

Microsoft has a bazillion dollars in cash and could practically give their console away. Any company that has 40 Billion to blow on buying back stock is in a much better position than a company in debt, heading for more dept.

Last generation Nintendo didn't heed your advice and look what happened? Tons of morons bought their console even when it was a 480P suckfest machine with absurdly bad online capabilities.

As for inferior hardware. We'll see. PS3's "superior" hardware did crap because they are idiots and just looked at the raw numbers and not how well everything works together. That's Sony's thing. Hey loooook, higher numbers! (except for our profits). "But this generation is different!" Yeah, we'll see on that too. It's all about networks and online this generation and Microsoft dominates in that area.

Microsoft has the superior usability features in the kinect, controller and online service. Sony cut corners leaving out their toy Camera. Microsoft has much more flexibility in pricing while Sony is stuck. Depending on how the first few months go, Microsoft can easily undercut Sony in hardware prices but why do it now? Both consoles will sell extremely well at launch. Lets first see if Sony can manage to not fall flat on its face.

If Sony was worth it, Microsoft could use the 40 Billion designated for stock buy back and buy Sony at twice it's current market cap if they really wanted their highly profitable insurance division that Sony is leaning on to survive.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Your posts are just becoming too stupid to reply to anymore.

BTW, Nice pointless charts that go to 2010.

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Aslanna wrote:Your posts are just becoming too stupid to reply to anymore.

BTW, Nice pointless charts that go to 2010.
Followed up by 2013 stats right below them. Too stupid? Why not actually say something. What do you have an issue with?
kyoukan
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by kyoukan »

yeah, nice stats. your stats are awesome. here's more stats for the forum to enjoy

Number of awesome things kyoukan did today: thirty-seven

Number of girls and boys under 14 Winnow has raped in the last two weeks: a billion
kyoukan
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by kyoukan »

Winnow wrote:Oh no please continue. Whenever you attempt to say anything about the financial back end of the business it's a field day for me. Don't stop.

Winnow wrote:Microsoft has a bazillion dollars in cash and could practically give their console away.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

PS4 interface:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/09/25/ ... -interface

Looks like the Xbox One's, only worse.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Wow this thread was falling off the front page. People so excited about the PS4!
Report: Foxconn using forced student labor to build Sony’s PS4

If reports in the Chinese press are to be believed, Sony’s next-gen games console may be being assembled using some very outdated labor practices. According to Hong Kong’s Oriental Daily, thousands of students from an IT engineering program at the Xi’an Institute of Technology are being forced to work at Foxconn’s Yantai plant assembling the Sony Playstation 4. Students have been told if they refuse to participate, they lose six course credits, which effectively means they will not be able to graduate.

Officially, the program is considered an “internship” and it is publicly recognized and promoted by the school. But students have said that once they got to Foxconn, they were assigned to jobs that had no relation whatsoever to their fields of study, including grunt work like distribution and shipping. One student, for example, majored in finance and accounting but has been assigned to a job that entails glueing together parts of Sony’s Playstation 4. Another was assigned to a job that entails peeling of the PS4′s protective plastic and putting stickers on it. Still another, a computer science major, puts the PS4′s various cords and the instruction manual into the console’s box. Moreover, students say that their working hours are exactly the same as regular workers. The only difference is that unlike the workers, the students aren’t being paid.
No wonder the PS4 is so cheap. Gotta love the forced labor!
Leonaerd
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Leonaerd »

Foxconn pullin' an Apple.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Leonaerd wrote:Foxconn pullin' an Apple.
Except Apple corrected that shit. Sony probably loves it and wants more forced labor if possible. They miss the good old days of World War II when they had slave labor camps.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Yeah, I'm sure Sony personally dictates how Foxconn assembles their products.

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Aslanna wrote:Yeah, I'm sure Sony personally dictates how Foxconn assembles their products.
yeah, unlike Apple who actually went over there and set things straight. Just look away and enjoy your cheap console. Nothing to see here.

and whats' up with Sony's stock? Every other stock has skyrocketed today but SNE is down to 36 cents t0 19.39/share, way lower than before the PS4 announcement a few months back.
Chidoro
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Chidoro »

you really believe the apple "set things straight"?
nah, of course you don't

so where are xbox's assembled? isn't it some dump in Mexico?
unless you're a Moto X, there's no difference where your electronics get assembled. one place is not better than the other
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Chidoro wrote:you really believe the apple "set things straight"?
nah, of course you don't

so where are xbox's assembled? isn't it some dump in Mexico?
unless you're a Moto X, there's no difference where your electronics get assembled. one place is not better than the other

Apple execs went to China and put on those cute little Chinese worker hats and observed what was going on and announced changes that were taking place to improve worker condition and reduce crazy OT hours. We'll see if Sony takes the time to investigate.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Post by Funkmasterr »

They only did that because of the outrage about it, you trolling fuck. Move along.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Funkmasterr wrote:They only did that because of the outrage about it, you trolling fuck. Move along.

and? What, no outrage when it's Sony? I see. Pick and choose who you spit on. Nice.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Post by Funkmasterr »

Look who's talking. It happens to Apple and you didn't miss a step, you were here making us all watch you deep throat their virtual cock. BUT because you're trying (successfully, I might add) to be a cunt about the consoles, you bring it up now.

Seriously, where's the fire?
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Winnow wrote:Just look away and enjoy your cheap console.
I will. Thanks!

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

RAGE!

Considering the atrocities brought upon the Chinese people during World War II by Japan, I wouldn't imagine the Japanese are too concerned about a little forced labor here and there to keep their profits...well to try and get out of the massive dept they have.

At least their stock took a hit today on an otherwise huge up day on the market.
kyoukan
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by kyoukan »

Winnow wrote:Wow this thread was falling off the front page.
yeah, it must be hard to troll every thread every day with your fucking faggotry while uploading pictures of 12 year old girls in the porn forum at the same time.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Preemptive Winnow strike! But unlike some people around here I have no problems criticizing something I support when it warrants it. Whereas over in the XBO thread Microsoft are walking on water.
The PlayStation 4 won't support chat over Bluetooth or USB headsets at launch, Game Informer reports.

A Sony representative told the publication that updates will bring support for Bluetooth and USB headset chat sometime after the console's launch on Nov. 15. We've reached out to Sony to confirm the report and will update this article with more information as we have it.

The PS4 will ship with a mono earbud headset and microphone combination (pictured above) for chat. A representative for Sony told Polygon at San Diego Comic Con 2013 that the PS4 will support PlayStation 3 wireless headsets, though it sounds like they won't be supported on launch day.
Sounds a bit lame if the report is accurate. Hopefully it doesn't take too long to get implemented for those that use those sort of things.

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

It will be a wonder if anything works out of the box when the PS4 launches. Just a bunch of promises. Not hard to understand what's going on. The company is desperate, in huge debt, allowing slave labor to try and scrounge out a cheap console price while at the same time cutting things out. SNE tanked today on the biggest one day stock market gain of the entire year with double it's usual volume being traded. Guess their amazing insurance sales couldn't keep them above zero and the non fanbois people that actually invest in companies see right through what's going on with Sony's desperate marketing campaign...won't last past initial pre launch sales before people actually see what the network is like when they're paying for PS+ to play games online.
kyoukan wrote:
Winnow wrote:Wow this thread was falling off the front page.
yeah, it must be hard to troll every thread every day with your fucking faggotry while uploading pictures of 12 year old girls in the porn forum at the same time.
Try harder flappy.

Foxconn violates labor policy for PS4: Interns work overtime, night shifts

Foxconn, a prolific and controversial electronics manufacturing company in China, had student interns work night shifts and overtime to assemble Sony's PlayStation 4 console, in violation of the company's labor policy. Foxconn investigated violation claims that surfaced in China yesterday and confirmed that the students were working against internal regulations.
Slave Station 4 confirmed. If it turns out Sony has to fork out an extra dollar per console it may bankrupt them.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Weird... It says "Foxonn volates..." not Sony.

Try again. Try harder.

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Aslanna wrote:Weird... It says "Foxonn volates..." not Sony.

Try again. Try harder.
Guess you missed the last few posts on that topic. The world would be a great place if products magically appeared without needing to be made by someone.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

The point is Sony had no control over that.. So.. Yeah. It is not I who missed anything.

But I'm sure you check the manufacturing history of every piece of shit you buy.

--
Leonaerd
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Leonaerd »

Aslanna wrote:buy
:|