Grand Theft Auto V

Get off the damn computer, and play with your TV, it misses you!

Moderators: Funkmasterr, noel

Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Grand Theft Auto V

Post by Winnow »

Here's the highlights from recent Game Informer:
According to Rockstar, Grand Theft Auto V's Los Santos is bigger than Red Dead Redemption, San Andreas, and Grand Theft Auto IV combined. Yep. There's wilderness, a military base, and even an ocean floor to explore underwater.

You can switch between the game's three main protagonists at "nearly any time."

Those three protagonists, by the way, are named Michael, Trevor, and Franklin. Michael is a retired bank robber who gets sucked back into crime; Trevor is a career criminal and drug addict; Franklin is a 20-something street hustler.

Sometimes they'll work together on missions, during which you can switch back and forth from character to character depending on which part of a given mission you feel like doing.

Each character has his own personality, skill set, and group of friends to interact with. And the ones you're not controlling will go off and do their own thing.

This is the same world as Grand Theft Auto IV and Liberty City, so you might see some recurring characters from those games (just not the major ones, like Niko Bellic). But. Rockstar says this is the "high-definition" world of Grand Theft Auto, so don't expect to see anyone from the PS2-era titles.

Remember those randomized dynamic missions in Red Dead Redemption? They're back for GTAV: expect hitchhikers, muggers, and dead bodies, among others.

Yes friendships. No romance.

Rockstar says there will be an economy, but you won't be able to buy properties. There will be "loads of other stuff."

PS3 version will come on 3 Blu Rays and 12 DVDs for 360 version. PC version playable only with Windows 8.
Sounds pretty massive.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Re: Grand Theft Auto V

Post by Funkmasterr »

I was already planning on skipping it, but 12 DVDs? Fuuuuuuck that shit.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Get it on the PS3. Only 3!
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Post by Fairweather Pure »

12 dvds? That is fucking crazy.

Game sounds rad. I'm in!
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

All the above are facts except the last line about the media. I just threw that in to see if anyone noticed Windows 8 only! I don't know how many Blu Rays or DVDs or the PC requirements. :vv_arg:
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

New trailer for GTA V

http://www.joystiq.com/2012/11/14/grand ... -good-day/

Looking good.
Kwonryu DragonFist
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Kwonryu DragonFist »

Thank god for Blu-rays..

12 DVDs? LOL....
Thanks to Thess
---xx0O0xx---
The best site known to man!
--++http://kwonryu.mybrute.com++--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

This game is going to take this generation out with a bang!
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Not bad so far. GTA fans won't be disappointed.

Mandatory 8GB install on the 360. Think same on the PS3 as well. 2 DVDs. First DVD you install the entire content and never touch again.

Ran a couple missions.

-Tons of dialog, dialogue changes depending on choices made (for example, depending on the car you choose in an early mission)

-Pretty good setup for switching between characters on-the-fly. Auto assist aiming when using weapons which avoids frustration.

I'm like 1% complete so just some observations. I mostly drove around randomly. The world is impressively detailed with places you have no business going being highly detailed, like backyards of houses along a non city road. These houses have small details even though they were out of the way...dog houses, Jacuzzis, unique patios and landscaping, etc.

I suck at these car chase games. I failed the second mission. Fail a mission three times and you can skip it although I haven't skipped anything yet. I recall a few motorcycle chases in GTA IV I would have happily skipped so this is a nice change.

Impressive open world for only 512mb of ram in the current consoles. I imagine the Xbox One open world games will be amazing in a year or so. I haven't noticed any texture popping on the 360.

Cars handle as crappy as ever in a GTA game but at least one of the black guy's skills is a driving version of bullet time which helps a shit ton getting around hard turn corners in high speed chases.

Every other word out of the black playable character's mouth is "nigger" while I've yet to hear a white guy say the word. Imagine that!

Black guy can smoke pot in his beaten down house while white guy has money and a shrink.

I don't recall if it was the same in GTA IV but the strippers are topless in GTA V. The prostitutes are all over and the sex acts are graphic (blow Jobs, etc) Some parents are going to freakout when they see this stuff.

Your hands stay bloody for quite awhile after beating up random people/hookers on the street. Looks good as opposed to dragon age's ridiculous bloody faces.

evading/getting caught by police is about the same difficulty as previous GTAs. So far, it's only cost me $10 after dying when ressing at a hospital. Doesn't seem to be a straight percentage of your wealth which is good news for those that accumulate a lot of cash. I knocked over a 7/11 and made decent money. I was caught pretty quick and killed but kept my stolen money and only paid $10.00 again after ressing so I guess robbing places will be an easy way to get some money to buy a new tire track hairdo for the homey.

Besides duplicate fat chicks walking the streets and dupe pedestrians in general, the world so far looks unique everywhere I've gone.

Tons of music from top artists in the game. The talk radio and DJs are entertaining.

If you're a fan of GTA games, this will keep you busy up until the new consoles launch. I've only done the usual stuff (run over hookers and shoot black people) and it's been fun. All the added stuff RockStar put into this game will make it a blast.

Very curious if this will eventually come out on the next gen consoles. Rockstar pretty much maxed out what they can do with such a huge open world and micro 512mb of ram to work with and six+ year old CPU power, but you can easily see how it can be better when you look at the comparison between a game like Watch Dog's 360 vs Xbox One versions. Enjoy what's available today but you've got to really look forward to what Rockstar does with their Red Dead/GTA/May Payne/La Noire/Bully franchises in the future. The 8GB of RAM XO/PS4 have is great for huge open world games. Walking into a random fully populated building in GTA-V going from outdoors to indoors without any load time is already impressive.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Trying out some of the activities around town. I played some night tennis. It was pretty fun. The lady lawyer I played beat me fair and square but I still beat her down and knocked her out after the match. Funk is going to love this game.

Seeing more of the diverse city areas today. It's amazingly detailed and varied. Minor things like the roads are super detailed...potholes, pools of water, drainage etc. Sewer holes for example. there's not just one for the game, there's like 20 different kinds. There must be 8GB of pure textures in this game.

Damage on cars is done well.

run over one pedestrian and you're ok. It takes two to alert the cops.

Switch to "high view" from low view in settings. Seems better view while driving.

Went to the movies. The movie I saw was...abstract.

Ferris Wheel and Roller coaster are fun.

Some "freak" offered Michael some reefer. He had a bad trip and I had to kill a bunch of aliens while he tripped out.

I traveled outside of the city and it's pretty amazing. Just little roadside rest stops, etc are well done. I stopped in the middle of bumfuck nowhere and walked away from the road and the detail was great. Nice landscaping, etc where .001 percent of people will ever actually go and see.

Country hicks are pretty tough. I tried to take someone's golf cart in a hick town and the rube and his dog kicked my ass. I am amazed by the level of detail out in the middle of nowhere in this game.

There's zero chance this won't be game of the year.

The country high speed chases are great. Middle of the night, pouring rain. No idea where I am, blasting through fences. Really open world but even the wide open countryside doesn't feel "empty". The country has that same feel you got while traveling around in Red Dead Redemption where you would stop and take time just to admire the scenery.

I just spent 3 hours driving around doing nothing related to the main storyline. I'd recommend people ignore the main storyline or not try and stick to it. You do need to do a little of it to get to the second playable character and I haven't yet got to the third character so maybe that would be a good point to explore some. I left Michael out in the middle of nowhere and switched back to Franklin.

If you don't do anything for awhile, the camera starts to pan around and check out interesting things around you.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

I fucked around in every GTA prior to 4 and never finished a single one. With 4, pretty much all I did was play the story and it was rather rewarding (but FUCK the last mission).

I'll likely play through this then fuckaround afterwards.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Fairweather Pure wrote:I fucked around in every GTA prior to 4 and never finished a single one. With 4, pretty much all I did was play the story and it was rather rewarding (but FUCK the last mission).

I'll likely play through this then fuckaround afterwards.

I'm glad you can skip missions (or part of missions) in GTA V. Certain missions in GTA in the past have had high frustration levels. In GTA-V for example. The first flying mission had me repeating it due to various fails. I finally managed to land my plane on the third attempt but then took some minor damage from a tree while taxiing to the hanger and failed due to too much plane damage. I skipped doing it again.

The average mission usually has around four parts. If you fail, you go back to the beginning of the particular part you died in. You also just skip the part you're in if you choose to after three fails.

I completed my first major heist involving multiple people last night and it was very satisfying. First, you get to choose how you want to rob the location. Stealthy/Smart or Frontal assault. I chose Frontal assault and there was still some planning involved. The difference is the mission leading up to the heist to get the gear needed. You also get to pick your crew. You see their stats. The better a particular persons stats are, the more of a cut they receive from the job. You can pick someone highly skilled in disabling security systems for example, and they'll get like a 14% cut while maybe skimping on the gunman, choosing a less skilled guy but they only get 7%, leaving more for you. I "think" how this plays out is that I had more time inside the location to loot because I chose the higher skilled hacker which allowed me to eventually get a higher payout.

I had to steal a swat van to get assault rifles for the job. I must have failed like 5 times as it's hella hard to take out a swat vehicle with 4-6 police wearing full armor. I only had myself and whatever car I was in as the time. Don't think I even had a weapon. I was finally able to coax one by one, the police out of the vehicle and run them over as it was the only way I could kill them. I finally managed to kill all six without my vehicle blowing up and jumped into the swat vehicle. Well, the second part of the mission was to lose the cops that were on their way, but by that time I had a three start alert out on me and you can't hit a paint shop with a police vehicle. I had an epic 40-45 minute police chase where I went all over the place trying to lose the cops. It's hard when there's police helicopters involved. I was determined because I didn't want to repeat the initial taking of the swat vehicle as that was a bitch. The rain and splashy road effects are outstanding in this game. (thx Red Dead) The ocean waves are impressive. Massive rolling waves.

After prepping for the heist, the actual heist was handled well, with you as the player needing to switch between characters to get everything done on the mission. I think in this case, the game actually switched for you at certain points. There was a variable to the amount of money you made off the heist determined by how well you performed inside the location.

I also played Trevor for the first time. If there was any doubt this game shouldn't be played by kids, his opening scene should convince anyone. It should almost be rated X. Nasty hillbilly fucking scene and then threats of sodomizing, boot to head stomping. It's actually a pretty disturbing scene. I did manage to save his Meth lab though!

I'm 14% done with the game and have heard the word "nigger" at least 100 times. Kind of funny how sensitive black people are to the word when games like this throw it out like candy. The dialog in GTA-V is way more raunchy and curse filled than previous GTA releases and the sex is much more graphic. Can't remember on violence from the past but there's plenty of blood splatter on close-up execution style head shots.

Fun game. Truly feels open world. I don't feel pressured to do anything in the storyline and haven't encountered any restrictions on traveling anywhere on the map that I've seen so far. Each character has an initial skill set. Franklin drives the best. Michael is the best shooter and Trevore has strength and some other stuff. All characters have the same skills and they improve over time. I notice my driving skill increased with Michael after 7 or 8 hours of game play with him. When you switch players and then return to the same player later on, many times they're doing some random thing, going about their lives kinda like a sims character.

95/100 360
94/100 PS3

(seriously this time. Your finger is going to be on the trigger for 12 straight hours if you marathon. It even got to me on the 360. I can't imagine constantly pressing on the little convex trigger the PS3 for that long)

Bonus points for pure massiveness of the effort involved. The immersion level is extremely high. You can nitpick a game like this or it may not be your thing, but the quality and massive scope are undeniable.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Metacritic Scores:

http://www.metacritic.com/game/xbox-360 ... ic-reviews

PS3: 96 (6 critics)
360: 99 (16 critics)
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Post by Funkmasterr »

Winnow wrote:Trying out some of the activities around town. I played some night tennis. It was pretty fun. The lady lawyer I played beat me fair and square but I still beat her down and knocked her out after the match. Funk is going to love this game.
If by "tennis" you mean "sex", and by "lawyer" you mean "hooker", then yes. I'm going to love it. Killing hookers is food for the soul.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Grand Theft Auto 5 makes off with over $800 million on day one

Worldwide sales of the latest entry in Rockstar's open-world crime series, Grand Theft Auto 5, have surpassed $800 million in just 24 hours. This figure represents a new day-one high for both the series and parent company Take Two Interactive.

Currently, Grand Theft Auto 5 only has a single-player component on Xbox 360 and PS3. Rockstar announced the multiplayer supplement, Grand Theft Auto Online, will launch on October 1.
Not sure if numbers are accurate but estimates are 265M to produce and estimated it will make 1.5 Billion.
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Anirask
PSN ID: Anirask

Post by Animalor »

About 4-5 hours into this and the one thing I marvel at isn't the graphics or the gameplay. It's Rockstar's talent to create worlds where every inhabitant is a complete and utter asshole in his/her own special way.

I hate every single one of these characters already.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Animalor wrote:About 4-5 hours into this and the one thing I marvel at isn't the graphics or the gameplay. It's Rockstar's talent to create worlds where every inhabitant is a complete and utter asshole in his/her own special way.

So it's like VV but in game form?

--
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

:vv_jackass:
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Animalor wrote:About 4-5 hours into this and the one thing I marvel at isn't the graphics or the gameplay. It's Rockstar's talent to create worlds where every inhabitant is a complete and utter asshole in his/her own special way.

Don't know if you've gotten to the third main character yet, but you'll definitely hate Trevor.

The open world is amazing. Unfortunately too amazing as it's causing tons of freezing, texture popping, etc issues on both PS3 and Xbox 360.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

No issues to speak of here yet.

So far, it's a fun game.
Leonaerd
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Leonaerd »

I finished the main story. Still so much content to uncover.

Here's a tip to make tons of money:
[Show]
Save Franklin / Lester's assassination missions until after the main story is complete. You'll have more money to invest in the stocks that are set to change based on who you kill
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

omg spoiler tag fail!

Edit: Fixed now.. After I accidentally read it!

--
Leonaerd
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Leonaerd »

I'm sure you diverted your eyes after you saw the first tag. :)
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

GTA Online is up and running now for both PS3 and 360 after patches.

I tried out some online on the 360.

I've had a lot of fun for the most part. There's one mission called "Top Fun" that pits 4 players in fighter jets vs 4 players on motorcycles. I had a bitch of a time controlling the fighter jets but it's a blast racing across the map trying to avoid being blown up to reach a certain point on the map.

The cinematic spectator modes are nice as well after you die. I kicked the bucket pretty early on a mission to steal a meth camper (breaking bad!) and bring it back to the city. Had to drive all the way up to Trevor's neck of the woods to get it.

Good times so far.

Seems to be plenty to do and pretty fun.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Rockstar plans to give Grand Theft Auto Online a "stimulus package," bestowing a half-million GTA$ to every player in the game. The developer plans to start deposits by next week.

"In order to keep the current worldwide in-game economy balanced, we will be providing this GTA$ to players via two deposits of $250,000. We will announce specific dates as soon as possible," wrote Rockstar Games on its site. As long as game progress issues are confirmed and remain fixed, the first deposit should should occur by the end of next week, with the second by the end of the month.

The developer continued, "For players who experienced cloud server errors, connection issues, and lost game progress and characters in these first days of GTA Online, we hope this GTA$ helps to facilitate a fresh start or makes your continued life in Los Santos and Blaine County extra sweet."

We've placed the qualifying details on how to get the cash after the break. Bank robberies not required.
Eligibility rules:

You must play or have played Grand Theft Auto Online at any time during the month of October 2013 in order to qualify for the GTA$500,000 deposit in your in-game bank account.

Players will first have to install a forthcoming GTAV title update which we expect to happen next week. That title update (1.04) is expected to fix the remaining instances of issues that have caused vehicle purchase loss and will also enable the functionality through which we'll be providing this GTA$ stimulus cash to players.

We will announce at the Rockstar Newswire when each deposit is made.

Each of the two GTA$250,000 deposits will be made by Rockstar and should automatically appear in the in-game GTA Online bank accounts of eligible players. Beyond downloading the forthcoming title update mentioned above, there should not be any additional special action required by eligible players to redeem.
If you have GTA V and haven't logged into GTA Online yet, you probably should at least log in once so you get your 500K. Comes in handy if you want to buy a property or decent car early on to tool around in.
masteen
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by masteen »

Late to the party, but how can anyone hate Trevor? He's my favorite vidya game character in years.
"There is at least as much need to curb the cruel greed and arrogance of part of the world of capital, to curb the cruel greed and violence of part of the world of labor, as to check a cruel and unhealthy militarism in international relationships." -Theodore Roosevelt
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Animalor »

masteen wrote:Late to the party, but how can anyone hate Trevor? He's my favorite vidya game character in years.
I find myself having the same reaction. I thought I would hate him but hes my favorite in the game as it stands.
Lynks
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: launchpad1979

Post by Lynks »

What I don't like about Trevor is when I switch to him and he has 2 stars already. Argh!
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

Winnow wrote:Damage on cars is done well.
My car, just before going in for repairs:

Make love, fuck war, peace will save us.
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Animalor »

Trevor might be the best video game character of the year. Has me laughing out loud regularly.
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Animalor »

Just wrapped up the story for this. Those last few missions were pretty crazy. Great game.