The Wolverine

Movie, DVD, and TV reviews and discussion

Moderators: Abelard, Drolgin Steingrinder

Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

The Wolverine

Post by Winnow »

Not bad. Overall better than the first one.

They manage to build a pretty good story. Some that might want more of a Super Hero vs Super Villain movie may not like the lengthy build up in the beginning of the movie.

While I didn't much care for the whole Japanese/Mariko storyline in the comics, it made for an entertaining movie. Marvel may win over some Japanese fans as a ton of the movie was in Japanese and they treated the culture with respect.

If this is the last Wolverine movie for Hugh Jackman, he can retire having done the character justice...there's always the Old Man Logan storyline though. He also has the next X movie.

Best Solo comic hero movie I've seen in awhile.
Zamtuk
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Re: The Wolverine

Post by Zamtuk »

Meh, it was OK. I enjoyed it overall and it was lightyears beyond the first one, but I found myself not really giving a shit about the villains. And which Japanese girl were we supposed to care about? Wolverine was the only one with any character development, and that bothered me.

Some fun takeaways I had from it:

Ninjas need to flip whenever at all possible, whether or not it is necessary (it never was).

Sleeping next to Wolverine continues to be a rotten idea.

Apparently Yakuza's cornered the market on guns in Japan, since swords were the only thing anyone else used.

Wolverines hair grows back when it's in an atomic explosion. Not so much when some nubile Japanese women shave him.
[Show]
I really didn't see the thing with his claws being chopped off happening. That was really cool, and with that ELITE credits sequence, it will be interesting to see how they write around that.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Zamtuk wrote: Ninjas need to flip whenever at all possible, whether or not it is necessary (it never was).
Yeah that cracked me up. Flipping ninjas everywhere!

This wasn't a traditional "tights" type hero movie but had a good enough story to make it entertaining. I wasn't sure which lady was Mariko at the beginning. That part was a little confusing.

Mariko didn't even make it on the movie poster.

I agree that a little more character development was needed, especially for ninja guy that had his back from the rooftops for most of the movie. The reviews/opinions on this will be mixed as it's more of a ninja fighting movie than super hero movie.

My takeaway: If you're going to take out Wolverine with arrows, you need at least 100 hits plus some rope!
Zamtuk
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zamtuk »

Yeah, I didn't get the ropes. It was a cool visual, but what was tethering all of those ropes? A 140 lb ninja? Oh, and he could just CUT THE ROPE WITH HIS ADAMANTIUM CLAWS. Also worth noting was the lack of 100 arrow holes in his wifebeater.