San Diego Comic-Con 2013

Movie, DVD, and TV reviews and discussion

Moderators: Abelard, Drolgin Steingrinder

Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

San Diego Comic-Con 2013

Post by Winnow »

Comic-Con is more movies/TV than Comics these days so this is a good place to post any news.

Deadpool gets a "none shall pass" from Gandalf!
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Re: San Diego Comic-Con 2013

Post by Fairweather Pure »

The Lego minifig give away was a fucking disaster.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Kinda boring con this year.

Avengers 2 announced officially.

Here's an hour plus QA&A session with Joss Whedon

It doesn't start until 26 minutes into the video

http://youtu.be/t6IQgLBaSV4?t=26m1s

I bookmarked the spot.

It's an OK Q&A. It's mostly fan service. Joss looks like a bum dragged off of the street as usual. Nathon Fillion moderates.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

I spoke too soon. There was quite a bit of Marvel based info that came out Saturday night.

Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. - Trailer 1 (Official)
We’ve Seen the S.H.I.E.L.D. Pilot, and It’s Everything We Hoped

SAN DIEGO — There was a big surprise at the Comic-Con panel for Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., the upcoming ABC television series by Joss Whedon spinning off last year’s blockbuster Marvel superhero movie The Avengers: the opportunity to watch the entire pilot.

“We wanted to bring a clip but there was a legal [thing],” said Whedon at the start of the panel. “So we can’t show you a clip. We’re just going to show you the episode.”

Naturally, the crowd practically wet themselves with glee, and their excitement wasn’t misplaced. What followed was the stuff of dreams for Joss Whedon/Marvel/Agent Coulson fanboys and fangirls; although it’s hard to write about without giving too much away, but here’s the run-down of the greatness of the Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. pilot.
Comic Con fans nerds that got to see the film had good things to say about it.

-----

"You're dressed like whores!" - Christians vs Comics in San Diego

Galactus fucks with some fundy trying to ruin convention goer's days.

-----

Guardians of the Galaxy looks like it might be better than I first thought.
Guardians of the Galaxy

Considering Marvel's huge space opera only started filming 10 days ago, they had an amazing amount of footage to show us. We see a desolate alien world, where Peter Quill, aka Starlord, is going inside an ancient temple. He uses a light globe to illuminate the interior, and then goes to steal an old alien orb.

Some alien cops come in with big guns to stop him. "Drop it now," orders their leader, Borath (Djimon Hounsou). And he asks Quill who he is. "Starlord," he replies. "Who?" Borath asks. "Starlord, man. Legendary outlaw." Starlord is wounded. "Forget it."

Then we see someone activate a wrist transceiver, and we're in an alien prison, where five creatures have been arrested on Zandar. We see holographic "rapsheets" for all five of them — Drax the Destroyer, Gamora (Zoe Saldana), a personal death machine, Rocket Raccoon, who has over 50 charges of vehicular theft and escape from lockup, Groot, a houseplant/muscle, and then Starlord himself.

Rhomann Dey (John C. Reilly) narrates the whole thing with intense snark, especially when he gets to the part about how Peter Quill calls himself Starlord. Listening to this, Quill cranks up his middle finger as if he's working a creaky machine. Later, Quill is in prison and Drax is listening to his personal stereo, which is playing a bouncy "gamba gamba" tune. Quill is offended — and then he gets tased.

And then we saw a montage of tons of action footage, including a two-headed alien shooting a gun, a prison riot, tons of Gamora putting the smackdown on people, Rocket Raccoon shooting a big gun with a vicious look on his face.

The footage ends with John C. Reilly saying, "They call themselves the Guardians of the Galaxy. What a bunch of A-holes." And we see the five of them lined up, like the Usual Suspects.
And the actual Guardians panel included the whole main cast, including Michael Rooker (Merle from Walking Dead!) as Yondu, Karen Gillan as Nebula, Hounsou as Borath, Lee Pace as Ronan the Accuser, Benicio Del Toro as the Collector, Dave Bautista as Drax the Destroyer, Zoe Saldana as Gamora, and Chris Pratt as Starlord.
Didn't know Merle was that short!

Main character describes himself:
"Starlord is like this guy who lives in space. He's kind of a jerk, he had a hard time as a kid, and now he goes around space making out with hot alien girls and kind of just being a rogue and a bit of a jerk. And through teaming up with these guys finds a higher purpose for himself which is to really care about... this family that he's found."
It's all about the character development in this movie.

---------------------

Captain America: The Winter Soldier

Looks like this will be better than the first Captain America movie. I liked the first half of the original but second half was a little weak.
We saw a ton of footage from this film, which really backed up the idea that it's a paranoid spy thriller as well as just a fun superhero action movie.

We saw a complete scene, which was very reminiscent of one of the best moments from Drive. Captain America gets into an elevator at SHIELD headquarters, and then Crossbones (Frank Grillo) gets in with him, with a couple of other guys, all heading for Operations. They're talking about spy stuff, but Cap notices they have their guns out. And then a bunch of guys in suits get in, heading for Operations. And there's something hinky about them, too. Someone says "fuck you contract," randomly.

Even more guys get into the elevator and say "Records." And then Cap is surrounded by a ton of guys. In a small glass elevator. He's massively outnumbered in a tiny space.

Cap says, "Before we get started, does anyone want to get out?" Nobody does. They attack, and he hits emergency stop, and all of these guys are trying to kill him at once. There's a wristband which is magnetized, and it gets attached to the wall of the elevator, and then Cap's wrist is stuck in it so he's fighting with one hand trapped. He basically kicks the hell out of all these guys, using their own weapons against them. It's amazing. Eventually Captain America gets his wrist free so he can fight two-handed.

At last, it's just Cap and Crossbones, who says "it's nothing personal." He tases Cap over and over again, and Cap just keeps coming. Cap throws him into the ceiling. Cap is standing in the elevator, surrounded by prone bodies and broken glass, and he reaches down to grab his shield, with a loud clang.
Black Widow and Falcon will be in the movie.

------
Thor: The Dark World
Least interested in this movie but it still looks promising.

This clip of Loki entering the hall is great. Skip about 45 seconds into it:

http://youtu.be/ayDHYDejHhc

"You should have let me rule you when you had the chance"

He totally gets the crowd pumped before the panel kicks off.

-------

20th Century Fox reunites the X-Men for the OTHER Marvel surprise

Fox owns the rights to the X-Men so right now, they had their own panel for Wolverine and X-Men: Days of Future Past.

Speaking of doing a balancing act, Singer next brings a huge group of people to the stage, including writer/co-producer Simon Kinberg, producer Lauren Shuler Donner, producer Hutch Parker and actors McKellen, Stewart, Jackman, McAvoy, Dinklage, Omar Sy (Bishop), Ellen Page (Kitty), Shawn Ashmore (Iceman), Anna Paquin (Rogue), Halle Berry (Storm), Michael Fassbender (young Magneto), Jennifer Lawrence (Mystique), Nicolas Hoult (Beast) and Evan Peters (Quicksilver). They receive a standing ovation that rivals the reception to the Avengers cast when Joss Whedon brought them out three years earlier.
What's with Ellen Page and the other lady getting footstools while Dinklage goes without!

----

Marvel's got a great line up of movies coming out and I haven't even mentioned Avengers 2: Age of Ultron yet.
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

Make love, fuck war, peace will save us.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Winnow wrote: "You're dressed like whores!" - Christians vs Comics in San Diego

Galactus fucks with some fundy trying to ruin convention goer's days.
Hebrews 9:27 doesn't even say that!
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: mp72

Post by Sylvus »

I'm willing to bet that guy has done at least 4 of the things on that list.
"It's like these guys take pride in being ignorant." - Barack Obama

Go Blue!
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

And then, out came Michelle Rodriguez.

I'd seen Entertainment Weekly's "Women Who Kick Ass" panel on the schedule, but honestly hadn't thought much of it. This seems kind of weird in retrospect -- normally, a panel starring Katee Sackhoff, Maggie Q, Tatiana Maslany, Danai Gurira, and Michelle Rodriguez would've sent me into fits. After an entire morning full of dudes jizzing themselves over their own projects, though, I didn't know what to expect.

At first, the moderator -- a sweet-voiced writer from EW -- asked them typical, if interesting, questions. "What's your favorite stunts?" "Your most challenging costumes?" "Do you have trouble leaving your character behind?" That kind of thing.

Then, she half-turned to look at them. "What's the most egregious example of sexism you've seen on set?"

"Some actor dude once said chicks couldn't drive cars," Michelle scoffed. "I was like, 'Move over.'"

The audience laughed a little. Sexism! Girls can drive cars. Silly sexist actor boys. No one in the audience was like them.

"One time a crew member started hitting on me when I was tied to a bed for a scene," Tatiana Maslany offered. "I was young. I was just starting out. I couldn't get away."

Less laughter now from the audience.

"Once a guy on set kinda beat the shit out of me during a fight scene," Katee Sackhoff said. "He said he thought I could 'take it.'"

No laughter now. Lots of squirming. The guy beside me was checking Twitter.

"He's lucky I wasn't there," Michelle said. "That kind of thing makes my blood boil."

Silence.

Onstage, though, it was like a fucking dam had broken. Michelle lectured us all, at length, on how 80% of the content written for women is by guys, and how they don't know shit. "Dudes, I love dudes," I remember her saying, "But they don't know how to write for women." Maggie Q talked about how, as an Asian-American actress, everyone expects her to be quiet and demure and also know how to do kung-fu in heels. Danai Gurira actually used the phrase "white male privilege." In a room full of 6,000 Marvel fanboys! Male privilege.
More
Zaelath
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zaelath »

QQ moar.

MR is a nightmare, that she can get work at all is amazing.

As for poor writing for females, are they saying it's great writing for white males in Hollywood at the moment? 'Cause I've seen no evidence of that either.
May 2003 - "Mission Accomplished"
June 2005 - "The mission isn't easy, and it will not be accomplished overnight"
-- G W Bush, freelance writer for The Daily Show.
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

Zaelath wrote:As for poor writing for females, are they saying it's great writing for white males in Hollywood at the moment?
No, she's saying dudes don't know how to write for women.
Zaelath
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zaelath »

Spang wrote:
Zaelath wrote:As for poor writing for females, are they saying it's great writing for white males in Hollywood at the moment?
No, she's saying dudes don't know how to write for women.
Yes, and my contention is they don't know how to write for men either.
May 2003 - "Mission Accomplished"
June 2005 - "The mission isn't easy, and it will not be accomplished overnight"
-- G W Bush, freelance writer for The Daily Show.
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

I'm sure once women and their allies smash the patriarchy, they'll focus on the poor, widdle, white men, helping to improve how they are written and portrayed in cinema.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

What's wrong with how women are portrayed in movies? I see a wide range of movies and TV series available for viewing. You can pick what you want to see.

Joss Whedon writes strong female characters. What more of his stuff.
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Anirask
PSN ID: Anirask

Post by Animalor »

Frankly, they shouldn't have held this at Comicon. Too many testosterone-fuelled assholes. TED would probably be a better venue for this discussion.
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

Where there are "testosterone-fuelled assholes" is precisely where these kinds of discussions need to happen.