Company of Heroes 2

General discussion about other games, links to reviews, demos, etc - let us know about whats up and coming

Moderators: Funkmasterr, noel

Zamtuk
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Company of Heroes 2

Post by Zamtuk »

Just got the open beta today. The first one was tits, so this one should be just as good. Anyone else playing?
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Re: Company of Heroes 2

Post by Aslanna »

Not I. I played the first one for a bit but eventually came to the conclusion that I didn't like RTS games very much. Or wasn't very good at them. The game itself seemed well constructed though so I didn't have anything negative to say in that regard.
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Not big on RTS games. Really enjoyed the original Command and Conquer but nothing since. Looks good for those that like the genre though.
Zamtuk
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zamtuk »

After playing it, it is like the first one times 10. I just played against easy bots to get the hang of the gameplay. I hadn't played the last one in 7 years and all but forgot how to play. The graphics at ultra with physics in it is really astonishing as they literally do everything you tell them. As in, make a barb wire fence to go around the checkpoint. They actually pound the posts in and unspool the barbwire the length of the fence. They actually dig a foundation before making a barracks. It is a really fun game, but WAY too intricate for an RTS.

Don't get me wrong, it is realistic as all hell, and I shouldn't be complaining about the level of detail that goes in this, but it may be too real. I had a mortar team (you can basically only make teams, not single units) get into a 2 minute long fight with another infantry team. These are two basic units, like zergling vs zergling. 2 minutes. The infantry group ran and found cover, my team had a 30% hit rate on shooting (yeah, the infantry miss...A LOT), and it took fucking forever. You have a massive .50 cal gun that blows holes through sheds, but if someone sneaks up, your team has to pick it up, slowly rotate it and shoot the other way. To that point, flanking is everything.

The gamemode I played is a combination of capture the flag and advancing your territory. It's a Battlefield flag system, where the winner has to control the majority of space until the other teams meter goes to 0. So you get to start fighting on three different fronts at once. And worry about line of sight, cover, fires to keep warm (oh yes, blizzards come and freeze your troops, need to stay warm!), munitions, defenses, infantry units, and teching up. The latter can be done through gaining levels and getting achievements, or using the in game tech ups.

In about 5 games I didn't stop being overwhelmed. I guess that's a good thing, but I was playing easy. Having to make all those decisions and get everything perfect on a hard mode would be fucking impossible. I'm assuming that co-op with voice over is the optimal way to go at this.
Leonaerd
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Leonaerd »

I had a mortar team (you can basically only make teams, not single units) get into a 2 minute long fight with another infantry team. These are two basic units, like zergling vs zergling. 2 minutes.
This is awesome. Good window of time to prepare your next move. While ZvZ is like a knife fight and TvT is a chess match, CoH2 is like a real. time. strategy.