Moderators: Abelard, Drolgin Steingrinder

Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Game of Thrones - Season 3

Post by Winnow »

Here's the new additions to the cast for season 3:

http://youtu.be/rpSDSgChsaI?hd=1

Thankfully, I don't recognize any of them which is a good thing. Better immersion!

Airs March 13, 2013!
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Canelek

Re: Game of Thrones - Season 3

Post by Canelek »

Good stuff! Blackfish and the Reeds look good.
en kærlighed småkager
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

According to the Game of Thrones twitter profile, the third season will premiere on March 31, 2013
In case anyone wanted to know!
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Season started!

--
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Post by Funkmasterr »

I have it ready to watch tonight, but I hope the news I saw today saying midget guy isn't coming back for season 4 is an April fools joke.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

I haven't read the books so I couldn't say. Even if I could I wouldn't.. That would be a spoiler! So anyone who does know for sure don't post it. Thanks!

As for news on April 1st I don't even bother. April Fools Day stopped being interesting at least 15 years ago.

Oh and 'midget' isn't very PC!

--
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

I don't think what I read was saying his character would be gone, just that he as an actor wouldn't be returning.

Yeah the whole April Fools thing is more of an annoyance than anything. And fuck being PC :D
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Funkmasterr wrote:I don't think what I read was saying his character would be gone, just that he as an actor wouldn't be returning.
He didn't seem too keen to be talking about Game of Thrones when he was on The Daily Show. I can imagine that has to get old answering the same lame questions for years.

Having said that I seriously doubt that's happening. If it was they wouldn't announce it the on April 1st the day after the third season started. They're really trying too hard.

--
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

Severely doubtful.

Not a bad opener. Hope they didn't write out Strong Belwas!
en kærlighed småkager
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Good start to the season. The blonde bimbo is gaining in power.

Seeing a giant was pretty cool. (special effects-wise)

Question for the book readers:
[Show]
Was Tyrion's nose supposed to be cut off as a result of his wounds but they didn't make it look so bad for the sake of TV?
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

For TV. Logistics would be tough otherwise.
en kærlighed småkager
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Well.. Didn't see that coming!

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

I'm enjoying season three so far. I'm glad I didn't read/listen to the books so I can be surprised by the twist and turns. I know the books are always better and plan to eventually read them but in this case, I doubt I would have ever read them without having watched the series.
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: mp72

Post by Sylvus »

For those of you who didn't read the books, did they sufficiently convey what a badass Jaime Lannister is supposed to be? In the show it seems like there's a lot of "do you know who my daddy is?" stuff, whereas in the books, they made it quite clear that he was damn near the finest all-around knight in the land.

Just curious if the end of the last episode was as shocking to viewers as it was to us readers.
"It's like these guys take pride in being ignorant." - Barack Obama

Go Blue!
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Sylvus wrote:Just curious if the end of the last episode was as shocking to viewers as it was to us readers.
Did that not happen in the books? (similar to Tyrion keeping his nose in the HBO show?) Does the story seem to be drifting away from the books?

Jaime Lannister is a great "villain"...maybe I should just say great character since I don't know what happens down the road. He's been pretty beat to shit over the past half a season so he seems to fight well considering how long he's been in captivity. Also, while his actions mostly have appeared heartless and self centered, it looked like he at least tried to help out the knight lady last episode.

I think I know what the Daenerys Targaryen is going to do next episode:
[Show]
My guess is that as soon as she takes possession of those soldiers, she'll have them kill their original owner and take her dragon back.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Sylvus wrote:For those of you who didn't read the books, did they sufficiently convey what a badass Jaime Lannister is supposed to be? In the show it seems like there's a lot of "do you know who my daddy is?" stuff, whereas in the books, they made it quite clear that he was damn near the finest all-around knight in the land.

Just curious if the end of the last episode was as shocking to viewers as it was to us readers.
I haven't really seen Jaime as a "badass" to be honest. More of an incestuous douche. For the most part he's been a prisoner since some point (early?) in the second season so we haven't really that aspect of his character. He actually showed a bit of decency in the last episode unfortunately he got a bit cocky there at the end and it came back to bite him in the ass. Or some other part of his anatomy.

Ending was still shocking though at least to me. Was like.. "Wait.. What?? omg!"

--
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Yeah I wouldn't say I've perceived him as a badass either. More of a guy who is good, but definitely hides behind the family name.

Lady knight whooped his ass, and even if he had total free movement I don't think it would have gone a lot differently. She is just as worn down as him at this point, if not moreso mentally.

I started to feel at least a tiny little bit of sympathy for him towards the end of the last episode. Then the end happened, and I was like fuck that sister fucking, child murdering douchebag. Fuck him right in his bloody stump!
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

The show is certainly divergent, but not in an unbecoming way. As for the end of the last episode, it was very similar to the book in some respects, but the group that captured them was different. They were called The Brave Companions, and were a pretty nasty lot...not that these guys are all daisies and pillow-mints.

As far as Jaime is concerned in the show, they really did not show him as a badass as much as was conveyed in the books...pretty much a short fight while capturing Ned Stark and the other brief swordplay with Brienne.

*MINOR SHOW SPOILER BELOW*:One very minor gripe about this last episode in relation to the Storm of Swords novel storyline *MINOR SHOW SPOILER BELOW*:
[Show]
Where the fuck is Strong Belwas??? He was Barristan's companion and an all around badass...maybe they will work him in later...

That aside, it looks like things are setting up nicely for Jaime and Brienne as far as the whole Harrenhal bits. I imagine they will go with the garish talisman for Jaime and the demoralizing outfit for Brienne's "animal encounter".
Best moments from last week's episodes:

Tyrion and Cersei chair-posturing at the little council.
Bear and the Maiden Fair song, both by the asshole people and the "modernized" version for the closing credits! Love how they are working the songs into the show since they are a big part of the books.
en kærlighed småkager
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Funkmasterr wrote: Lady knight whooped his ass, and even if he had total free movement I don't think it would have gone a lot differently. She is just as worn down as him at this point, if not moreso mentally.
She was even more wore down.

I pick and choose my suspension of reality in these shows, but the Lady Knight chick would have been completely exhausted if she really was walking across the country in full metal armor. That's nuts.

http://www.geeksaresexy.net/2011/07/21/ ... ill-video/

So Jaime would have the advantage having walked in cloth instead of heavy armor.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Yeah, definitely. Not to mention the mental strain of having that douche gnawing your ear off constantly, and trying to worry about every little thing that could go wrong in transporting said douche across country.
Zamtuk
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zamtuk »

Against a guy who has been malnourished for over a year and has walked the same? Yeah, I'll take she hulk.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Zamtuk wrote:Against a guy who has been malnourished for over a year and has walked the same? Yeah, I'll take she hulk.
Has he been? I bet the Knight lady was feeding him OK. So it depends how long it had been since the escape from the camp.

Do the book people remember how he was treated by the knight lady after the escape?
Lynks
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: launchpad1979

Post by Lynks »

Pretty much the same way in the book. Jamie is a wanted fugitive. They didn't have much time to sit down and eat.
Keverian FireCry
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Keverian FireCry »

Ok, just finished watching the May 5th episode. What the fuck did I just see at the end there? I had horrible sunset glare(damn you god of light!!) and couldn't quite see what was going on.
[Show]
Right at the end, they showed a scene where it looked like Geoffrey had just had crossbow target practice on Margaery Tyrell?! Or was that Ros from Winterfell?! Either way...WTF?! Don't go overboard and spoil shit, but I'm not sure I get exactly wtf is going on...
Demags
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by Demags »

I believe it was the second person you mentioned.
Morgrym
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Morgrym »

[Show]
It was the hooker that worked for Littlefinger that was also spying for Varys. When Littlefinger said he "found someone looking to try something new" he was implying that Joffery was wanting to test his crossbow out on a living target.
Chachi (Whisperwind) <retired>

FKA Morgrym / Skrunch (Veeshan) <retired>
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Bear!

Honestly I'm not seeing the whole point of the Theon storyline. It's just wasting time when I'd rather be seeing others. Interesting that the crazy dude was from Misfits though.

--
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Aslanna wrote:Bear!

Honestly I'm not seeing the whole point of the Theon storyline. It's just wasting time when I'd rather be seeing others. Interesting that the crazy dude was from Misfits though.
Same here. For me, they're going to have to give some reason this dude continues to torture him other than "because he enjoys it", because it's starting to kind of annoy me. At this point the only good way this can end is if someone comes in and kills them both.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Funkmasterr wrote:
Aslanna wrote:Bear!

Same here. For me, they're going to have to give some reason this dude continues to torture him other than "because he enjoys it", because it's starting to kind of annoy me. At this point the only good way this can end is if someone comes in and kills them both.
I'm guessing something has been left out from the books because the torture is getting annoying. There needs to be a reason for it or it's wasting valuable viewing time for other storylines. Right now I really don't care what happens to Theon.

I assume eventually Theon turns into some sort of psycho badass after surviving all of the torture. If he just dies after all of it, that would be kind of lame. All I know is that's it's already gone on at least one episode too long. If the rest of the storylines need to catch up, they could just skip Theon for a few episodes and then show him get tortured some more a few episodes down the road.

The rest of the show has been as entertaining as ever.
Lynks
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Lynks »

I don't recall this much detail in the 3rd book. I'm pretty sure he was just mentioned a few times. That's all.
Morgrym
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Morgrym »

Major spoiler on the development of Theon and his captor...you have been warned.
[Show]
Not a ton happens with Theon, he "morphs" into a character named Reek and becomes a slave of sorts to the bastard of bolton (who is the one flaying him) Eventually he becomes a captiave of Stanis. Mostly the story line is to develop boltons bastard and the undertakings that he gets into which include marrying a girl he poses as Arya and the destruction of a ton of house Greyjoy
Chachi (Whisperwind) <retired>

FKA Morgrym / Skrunch (Veeshan) <retired>
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

I'm not going to click that! I'll just wait. But hopefully it's not dragged out on the show much longer as it's becoming tedious. Oh no what part is going to be cut off this week... /snore. I thought the whole 'escape' part they did was interesting in how it ended up but that's been about it.

--
Zamtuk
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zamtuk »

I don't consider this a spoiler, but Theon's story doesn't really get going until book 5. So, your guess is as good as those who have read it.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Zamtuk wrote:I don't consider this a spoiler, but Theon's story doesn't really get going until book 5. So, your guess is as good as those who have read it.
That's a spoiler! Now we know he survives at least until season 5 of the HBO series if each season = 1 book.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Season 3, Episode 8:

Good News: No Theon torture!
Bad News: Pretty slow episode with not much happening

Hope the final two episodes of Season 3 pack a punch.
Keverian FireCry
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Keverian FireCry »

Uh yeah, I'd say tonight's episode packed a punch. Understatement.
[Show]
Going to take this week off work for mourning. I'm seriously emotionally distraught.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Holy crap.
[Show]
Well, it was kind of Robb Stark's fault that whole mess took place by not following through on the marriage.

Main characters are dropping like flies.

Who's going to be left to fight against Khaleesi? Seems like Arya and Bran will be the only one's left, and maybe Jon Snow. It looks like Arya will eventually be taking shitloads of revenge unless she gets offed as well.
One thing you've got to be careful about doing is not looking at the IMDb. It shows the number of episodes for each actor which pretty much tells you if they're going to be offed or not...although characters do miss entire episodes here and there!
Lynks
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Lynks »

[Show]
One thing I'm disappointed with was that in the book, Rob's wife wasn't even there. She didn't die. I always thought that she would give birth and eventually, her kid would come back to take back what was his. Guess that won't happen now!
"Mother."
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Sylvus »

I thought the same thing, Lynks.
[Show]
IIRC, the books were originally supposed to cover a much longer time period, perhaps even covering multiple generations, but he scrapped that while writing Feast. If that's the case, perhaps the heir theory was in the original plan, but he told them to go ahead and kill her off in the TV show since he didn't need her anymore.

Go Blue!
Zamtuk
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zamtuk »

[Show]
She wasn't pregnant in the book though. It was a deviation for sure, but considering that Jeyne doesn't really play a part in the books, it was a nice (shocking) way to surprise the book readers. By shocking, I mean disturbingly brutal. Jesus.
Fuck Michigan!
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Sylvus »

Zamtuk wrote:
[Show]
She wasn't pregnant in the book though. It was a deviation for sure, but considering that Jeyne doesn't really play a part in the books, it was a nice (shocking) way to surprise the book readers. By shocking, I mean disturbingly brutal. Jesus.
[Show]
I thought, and I spoke to another friend about this, that there was something in the books that led us to believe that she might be pregnant, even if it was never explicitly said. I could be wrong though, been a few years since I did a full re-read.

Go Blue!
Lynks
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Lynks »

Sylvus wrote:
[Show]
I thought, and I spoke to another friend about this, that there was something in the books that led us to believe that she might be pregnant, even if it was never explicitly said. I could be wrong though, been a few years since I did a full re-read.
[Show]
I think the thing that made us believe that, was that they constantly had sex and were married for a year. Assuming their anatomy worked fine, she should have been pregnant.
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

A compilation of reactions from last night's show can be seen here.

I've never watched the show, so there may be spoilers.
Make love, fuck war, peace will save us.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

[Show]
Reminds me of South Park.. "All the Baldwins are dead??!" just replace that with Starks. There isn't many left! Honestly so far the characters that are left most of them I don't care for all tha tmuch. Will have to see how it progresses!

And yeah as to the comment in the youtube thing... How did anyone know she was pregnant? She only just told Rob not that long ago.

--
Kluden
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kluden »

I'm curious to how many people are having the ned stark reaction on HBO, screaming at them about how they are cancelling their subscriptions, blah blah blah. Next Wedding Please!
Zamtuk
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zamtuk »

Fuck Michigan!
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Yeah, I definitely felt like I got kicked in the balls at the end of that episode. I think I'm going to have to read the books, I can't keep waiting a year to get a little plot development.

And that twitter page is awesome.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

The fault lies in all of YOU!
[Show]
Kluden
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kluden »

hahahahah those twitters never get old! I love the despair! God forbid someone makes a show where there is just a reality of the realm, and not the prototypical characters you can get in any childs book.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Quite a drop off for the season finally considering how intense the previous episode was.
[Show]
More Theon Greyjoy torturing!
Are the seasons following the books where one season = one book? I may try to listen to the next book again.