The Official PS4 thread!

Get off the damn computer, and play with your TV, it misses you!

Moderators: Funkmasterr, noel

Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Re: The Official PS4 thread!

Post by Aslanna »

Fairweather Pure wrote:No BC means no BC. I'm shocked anyone would need further verification.

I really hope MS offers the ability.
Yeah. Not sure how people expected games coded for the Cell processor to magically work on a totally new architecture... Now the new Xbox on the other hand... No excuse really to not offer it as I'm guessing the basic xbox architecture wont change all that much.

Going forward when Sony gets the streaming stuff working and are able to add PS3 games it would be nice if you could play games you've already purchased from PSN without needing to dish out additional cash. It's still 9 months or so until release. I'm sure more details will emerge in the meantime!
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Chidoro
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Chidoro »

Certainly worth a chuckle or two

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rJDn0jRnUQ&sns=tw
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Leonaerd wrote:The PS4 triggers look superior to the 360 ones. The elevated fulcrum looks like it will lend to good control.

The material used on the back side looks good, too. I imagine it's less slippery during heavy use.

The triggers and texture do look promising. Won't know until testing them. That touchpad looks like an afterthought...kinda like 6 axis when they dumped rumble.
Leonaerd
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Leonaerd »

Are you talking about the boring gray rectangle in the center? It looks kind of stupid, but I'm sure it will grow on me, just like every shitty radio song that I end up hearing several dozen times.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Funk, how about stickying this thread, and unsticky the other three (PS3 thread and two Funk threads that haven't been touched since 2010)
Niffoni
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Niffoni »

Looking really good, but I just can't imagine anything will convince me to buy any next gen console at release. Still, no doubt I'll pick it up eventually. The first price drop will probably be enough to convince me, and by then there should be a respectable collection of software out.
Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable, let's prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all. - Douglas Adams
Dakanaf
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by Dakanaf »

Funk, I'm curious, you say when you play halo with you friends you join a party yet you complain about the crowd who plays the game? When my friends and I play it we are in our party and don't hear the other people playing it and just don't have to deal with them, takes them completely out of the picture and allows us to just enjoy the game. Sure they still do silly things like corpse humping or camping or stuff, but that's just par for the course. So what is you have the problem with specifically and that it was enough to make you take a break and probably quit?
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Anirask
PSN ID: Anirask

Post by Animalor »

I do hope Remote Play to the Vita is implemented by more developers this time around than it was last. With the controller and the Vita not having button parity though, I'd be really surprised if that happened.

The rest of it seemed decent. (I watched most of it). Having an architecture that's not out in left field will certainly do tons to put Sony in developer's good books. 8GB unified RAM will be great for them too.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Image may red-x

Not sure about the triggers (the entire controller has a cheap look to it, not helped at all by the dumb looking touchpad in the middle and blue light pad thing)

I like the 360 triggers because they're skinny. you can place just the tip of your finger on them and control them well...not having to deal with a fat trigger. PS4 triggers, while actually curving the right way finally, look shaped funny.

Xbox controller triggers look more like triggers...after all...they're triggers.

I also like how the xbox top bumper buttons wrap around to the sides more than the PS3/4. Makes it easier to use them as well.

triggers
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Post by Funkmasterr »

Dakanaf wrote:Funk, I'm curious, you say when you play halo with you friends you join a party yet you complain about the crowd who plays the game? When my friends and I play it we are in our party and don't hear the other people playing it and just don't have to deal with them, takes them completely out of the picture and allows us to just enjoy the game. Sure they still do silly things like corpse humping or camping or stuff, but that's just par for the course. So what is you have the problem with specifically and that it was enough to make you take a break and probably quit?
I'd rather not be in party chat if we don't have a fourth so we can communicate, but it's not worth having to listen to the people that play halo.

And other than that, it's the cunty Corning camping crouched with camouflage and a power weapon that's grating on my last nerve.

And winnow, I can't sticky.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Post by Fairweather Pure »

Animalor wrote:I do hope Remote Play to the Vita is implemented by more developers this time around than it was last. With the controller and the Vita not having button parity though, I'd be really surprised if that happened.

My friend voiced your exact concern. This is Yoshida's reply to the question:

Q: You showed us how you could use the Vita as a second screen in your living room. Is that local only, or is there any ambition with Gaikai to use that as a server and get further away in the living room?

A: Technically speaking, it works from anywhere, as far as you have a wi-fi connection from your Vita to the PlayStation 4. It needs to be wi-fi. However, for some games, when you play or connect from far away, it accumulates latency. Some games may not be playable, like fighting games or shooting games. But some other slower paced games will be playable. As long as you have home routers anywhere in your home, you can play every PlayStation 4 game. We ask developers when they finish the PlayStation 4 product and submit a master to make sure that they have the appropriate controller mapping to work on PS Vita. All games will work – unless it is a dance game [laughs].

Sounds promising!
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

At Sony's big PlayStation 4 announcement earlier this week, the company made it clear that it was going to rely on the cloud for many of the console's new features. Sony talked up the ability to play online games while they download, uploading and sharing gameplay video on the fly, and a lot of other cloud-based features that appear inspired by the recent purchase of Gaikai. Unfortunately, it's not yet clear what exactly will work out of the box. Jack Tretton, president and CEO of Sony Computer Entertainment America, sat down for an interview with Forbes and was asked if Sony's new fleet of cloud services would be available at launch. "I think it's aspirational on the device, as opposed to us standing up there, pounding the floor and saying the day this thing ships all this stuff will be there," Tretton replied. "I think it'll absolutely be there for the device, but I don't know whether it will be there for day one on the device."

This comment is just the latest piece of evidence that Sony doesn't quite have its ducks in a row regarding the PS4. We already knew that streaming classic PS titles won't be available at launch and that the PS4 won't play any of the native PS3 content users may have accumulated over the years, but now it seems many of the more innovative features PS4 might not be ready to go either. There's a lot of time between now and "holiday 2013" for Sony to nail down all of the PS4's details (including its final hardware design), and we expect we'll hear a lot more details this summer, but it's a little hard to get too excited given all the uncertainty around Sony's next console.
http://www.theverge.com/2013/2/22/40172 ... pirational

Not to confident in Sony's ability to deliver a complete system day one. Prepare for disappointment.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Well that was a waste of an article.

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Aslanna wrote:Well that was a waste of an article.
Not really, considering the claims Sony made in their PS3 introduction. The bulk of the PS4 Sony presentation was about "cloud" access to shit based on a company they bought in July 2012...that's not long ago. Concepts/tech demos and the reality of Sony's ineptness in networking don't make me feel too confident they'll be ready anywhere near launch.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

I don't think I ever heard anywhere in that meeting that everything shown would be 100% ready at launch. I'm sure most of the stuff will be in place. They've already said the streaming of the older gen games probably wouldn't be in place. Although not sure why everyone would rush out to buy a new console just to play Playstation 1 games but whatever!

Basically the whole article is about how things "might" not be there. Solid journalism there! Why not wait until it's finalized and then tell people what definitely isn't there. You know.. Facts and shit.

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Aslanna wrote:I don't think I ever heard anywhere in that meeting that everything shown would be 100% ready at launch. I'm sure most of the stuff will be in place. They've already said the streaming of the older gen games probably wouldn't be in place. Although not sure why everyone would rush out to buy a new console just to play Playstation 1 games but whatever!

Basically the whole article is about how things "might" not be there. Solid journalism there! Why not wait until it's finalized and then tell people what definitely isn't there. You know.. Facts and shit.
Again, considering what happened last time, it's worth pointing out their "promises" and vagueness. They're selling the system heavily based on streaming on a tech they got their hands on 6 months ago and have never been offered anywhere near the mass scale they plan it on.

When it comes to Sony, it would be nice to have some concrete details. Seems like it was a bullshit presentation that they should have held off on. Not seeing many positive articles out there.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

The thing is months away from release. Maybe they don't have all the "concrete details" themselves yet. I don't know why people are all whiny about shit like this. "WHY DIDN'T THEY EVEN SHOW THE CONSOLE?!? WHAAAAA". It was a presentation about where they are going and what they want to do with the console. Not where they are. Which, again, is months away from release.

--
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: miir1

Post by miir »

Why waste your time responding to his trolls?
I've got 99 problems and I'm not dealing with any of them - Lay-Z
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

It matters because last time their claims were not true so when they're basing all theses fantastic things on unproven (on the scale they are looking to do it on) tech with their online network track record and 6 months time since acquiring the streaming company, it should be cause for concern, or at least take note of it (so I can point it out over and over again during the lifetime of the PS4)
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

Trollin' trollin' trollin'
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

As for the 'last time'...
Please show us any claims they made about the Vita that were not 'true'
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Sorry. But it doesn't matter 9 months before it's even released. Get back to us then!

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

miir wrote:As for the 'last time'...
We're not talking about disappointing handhelds. This thread is about the next Sony Console.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

miir wrote:As for the 'last time'...
Their sales projections.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Hence why are they called "projections". I wont make any excuses for the device, and initially I even said I hope it fails, but I think it does well for what it is. Hopefully it will be a nice companion for the PS4 if it can hold out that long. There are still too many barriers for most people, such as the overpriced memory cards, that Sony needs to address.

--
Dakanaf
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by Dakanaf »

Aslanna is right, this post dosn't blong here anyway, carry on!
Last edited by Dakanaf on February 23, 2013, 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Pretty much every game or console these days gives that warning.I really don't think the a playstation game caused you health issues. This is really no different with 360 or PC games. The warning means it could happen when you're playing the game not 10 hours later.

--
Dakanaf
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by Dakanaf »

I haven't hugged an Iksar today, a shame really!
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

This guy on Game Trailers is spot on. Dude needs his own show. He's too good for a crummy video game stuff. I have a feeling we'll be hearing a lot more from him.

http://www.gametrailers.com/videos/qcv4 ... -takeaways

Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Sony considering tiered based PSN:

http://www.videogamer.com/news/sony_con ... vices.html

"As more and more services and contents become available digitally, we'll have more of an option to create attractive packages," said Yoshida. "So hypothetically we can look at different models – like a cable TV company.

"We could have gold, silver or platinum levels of membership, something like that. We can do subscription services when we have more content – especially now that we have the Gaikai technology available. With one subscription you have access to thousands of games – that's our dream."
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Sony 4K movie service will work with PS4, require 100GB-plus downloads

Sony is still being secretive about its forthcoming "world's first" 4K movie download service, but it sounds like it will eventually work with the equally-mysterious PS4. That's the word according to Sony Electronics President and COO Phil Molyneux, who said "I promise you will not be disappointed" when asked if the service would support his company's new console. That certainly makes sense, and it lines up with previous reports that the PS4 would support 4K photos and video, but not games.

And while Sony appears to be moving towards a summer launch for the service, It appears the company still has some work to do in making the 4K download service a realistic option for regular consumers. Molyneux said that typical 4K movies would be "100 gigabytes and plus" depending on length, and added that file size and average broadband speeds are "challenges that we have to work through... we've got some very good ideas that will make that a comfortable consumer experience." That sounds like overnight downloading of huge files, which Sony already does for PS3 games — and Sony CEO Kaz Hirai called adjusting to long download times "a journey" for consumers when we asked him about it at CES. Molyneux did say that work on improved compression for smaller files was "in active progress," but it seems the first generation of 4K products will involve huge files.
100 GB movies.

That would have sounded insane just a few years ago. Even with my 150Mbps connection, if max speed, it would take 90 minutes to download a movie, not to mention the space requirements. I'm not so sure the average Mbps consumer would want to wait like 5-6 hours (probably more like 10 hours) to watch a movie although I suppose you could download it over night. Still, the non "ultimate" cable services have like 200GB caps. Even mine is only 400GB/month. Things will need to change over the next few years.

I applaud Sony for thinking ahead though. I'd download a few choice 4K movies.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Some things I've read lately I'm not a keen fan of though. For one thing the PS4 UI is terrible. I know it's 9 months away but I doubt it will change much in that time. Secondly, the "social integration" with your real name. That better be an option or it's a deal breaker for me. I will more than likely just go back to PC gaming at that point.

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Aslanna wrote:Some things I've read lately I'm not a keen fan of though. For one thing the PS4 UI is terrible. I know it's 9 months away but I doubt it will change much in that time. Secondly, the "social integration" with your real name. That better be an option or it's a deal breaker for me. I will more than likely just go back to PC gaming at that point.
I was going to mention the crappy looking UI they've shown over the last few days. It's no better, and maybe worse than the current Xbox UI so at least that won't be much of a factor in choosing one console over the other. Sony just seems to fail when it comes to that stuff.

No way real names will be mandatory.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Post by Funkmasterr »

Yeah there's no way they're stupid enough to make real names mandatory - it would be a deal breaker for way too many people (myself also included).
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

So, basically RealID (Blizzard's version)
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

A "digest" screen tells you what your PlayStation Network friends are playing at the moment, and you'll have the option to use their real names, which will show up in games. If you link your PSN account to your Facebook account, you'll be required to use your real name (or, presumably, whatever name is on your Facebook account). If some players haven't linked their accounts, then everyone will have to agree to use their real names in order for all players to see them.

In a game, you might see a player's real name overlaid on a part of a race course, for example. According to Norden, Sony wants to put players' real names into games wherever it makes sense. User accounts are tied to a player or controller, not a single PS4 console. And Norden said that Sony is increasing the PSN friend limit — PlayStation 3 users are limited to 100 friends.
Not a real fan of that. But at least it sounds 'optional' although no telling what features you lose by not doing it.

--
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Sony's upcoming PlayStation 4 console will not feature always-online functionality as many countries don't have the robust internet connection necessary to support it, Sony president Shuhei Yoshida told Game Informer Magazine.

According to Yoshida, Sony didn't even consider incorporating this always-connected approach. "Did we consider it? No, we didn't consider it," he said in this week's issue, reported by GameSpot. "The main reason being that many countries don't have robust Internet connections. It makes sense for people to have internet connections to play online games, but for offline games there are many countries that we saw [that] do not really have robust Internet."

Sony unveiled the new console in February, and is slated for a holiday 2013 release. The company's comments follow rumors regarding Microsoft's intentions with its own next-gen console, believed to be revealed on May 21. Months of speculation suggest the new Xbox will require users to be connected to the internet at all times.
Didn't even consider it! Unlike Microsoft who was going to have it in there but recently realized nobody would buy it so (maybe) changed their minds.

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

lol, yeah I totally believe what he says. Sure they didn't consider it!

Months of speculation suggest the new Xbox will require users to be connected to the internet at all times.
Where'd you get that ancient article or does the writer just not have a clue about the latest news?
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Because if I didn't, someone else would have!
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

TV host and industry pundit Geoff Keighley has said on tonight's Bonus Round TV show that, according to his sources, Sony is looking at some form of digital rights management for the sale of used games.

"...The one thing that is amazing to me is that right now we're not hearing a lot from the game publishers about what their view is on this. The console companies are becoming the bad guys. And, you know, Microsoft is getting beaten up a lot on it. Sony, I think, has been seen as this kind of white knight so far that's not going to restrict used games. Based on some of the things I'm hearing, I don't think that's entirely true."
Xbox One may still end up being the better console for used games. Find something new to overreact about!

BTW, is there a way to turn off that annoying blue glow on your crab hand controller? It seems like a potential reflection/glare off of your TV issue waiting to happen. Kind of adding unneeded lameness to an already inferior controller.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Winnow wrote:
TV host and industry pundit Geoff Keighley has said on tonight's Bonus Round TV show that, according to his sources, Sony is looking at some form of digital rights management for the sale of used games.

"...The one thing that is amazing to me is that right now we're not hearing a lot from the game publishers about what their view is on this. The console companies are becoming the bad guys. And, you know, Microsoft is getting beaten up a lot on it. Sony, I think, has been seen as this kind of white knight so far that's not going to restrict used games. Based on some of the things I'm hearing, I don't think that's entirely true."
Xbox One may still end up being the better console for used games. Find something new to overreact about!
It sounds like TV host and industry pundit Geoff Keighley has some shitty sources!

--
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

http://www.viddler.com/v/944416f2?secret=82898940

Hate the PS4 controller all you want Winnow, but the above tech demo is better than anything MS has shown for Kinect. I can see some amazing things coming in the future if the above is just alpha phase testing!
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Fairweather Pure wrote:http://www.viddler.com/v/944416f2?secret=82898940

Hate the PS4 controller all you want Winnow, but the above tech demo is better than anything MS has shown for Kinect. I can see some amazing things coming in the future if the above is just alpha phase testing!
Cool demo.

On a controller, it's all about the ergonomics. Except for the joystick placement of the PS4 controller which is flat out bad, every other controller out there has the 360 placement of the sticks for a reason, I'm going to wait and see how it feels in person. I really hope they at least firmed up the feel of the sticks.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Here's the official trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=idUZpVjF ... e=youtu.be

It looks so good that it looks manufactured. If I hadn't have seen the hands on posted above I would have kept assuming it was fake. The little dudes fly behind people and the lighting on them adjusts to room lighting.

On the downside, by not making the PSEye manditory, I fear it will not get much support and be regulated to gimmic status like the Move and Kinect 1 were. I will buy one though. My girls will lose their shit over this tiny demo.
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Animalor »

Here's a 12 minute demonstration of exactly what the new Kinect can do, including the ability to track who is holding what controller in realtime (~11 minute mark), <troll>without the need for a huge, battery draining LED on the controller</troll>.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bydLSVVuaRM
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

omg get that Kinect crap out of this thread! As far as "battery draining" LEDs go... I thought LEDs were conservative when it came to power usage? I'm sure it will be less than trigger rumble features lol what a dumb feature. Troll fail!

As far as the Playroom thing or whatever. Sure it would be interesting for like.. 10 minutes but after you've seen everything once I'd think it would get pretty old. It is gimmicky just like Move and Kinect and Sony did the right think by not making Eye mandatory.

--
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Animalor wrote:Here's a 12 minute demonstration of exactly what the new Kinect can do, including the ability to track who is holding what controller in realtime (~11 minute mark), <troll>without the need for a huge, battery draining LED on the controller</troll>.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bydLSVVuaRM
But it doesn't do anything so why am I interested if it can see how happy I am or know my heart rate? It's great tech for sure and I can see that being exciting on it's own merits, but it should actually do something with that tech if you have to buy one out of the gate. That's what my issue is. MS hasn't showed us a single example of why I require a Kinect 2.0 by default. Sony has already showed me a cutesy clip that gave me incentive to purchase the Eye Toy because it's something I want to play (my kids, more than me).

Also, I don't think the LEDs are battery draining. The Move Controllers never had battery issues and they were last gen. The MS controllers have an LED under the home button too and it's never been an issue. The only controller with battery issues is the WiiU tablet that gets about 4.5-5 hours tops.
Last edited by Fairweather Pure on June 12, 2013, 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Animalor »

The AR stuff is cute and entertains for kids for about an hour to two. Aside from that though, meh indeed.

My kids love this on the current Kinect and it's as advanced as Playroom. (the two playing it bet annoying real quick).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RSHZmO-gk8

The PS Move gets solid battery life but it doesn't have nearly the amount of stuff the PS4 controller has. And the light also turns off when not actively used (Navigating menus with it relies purely on the gyroscope for example). Not sure how that will work on the PS4. Hopefully Sony's software will be smart enough to not even turn the LED on when no PS Eye is connected to the device.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

What about the reflection off your TV screen from the blue glow on the PS4 controller? Not the best thing to have a light in front of your screen. I wonder how much of an impact it has.
Leonaerd
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Leonaerd »

:vv_banjo: