Gates still richest American

What do you think about the world?
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Gates still richest American

Post by Winnow »

Bill Gates has been the richest person in the country for an entire generation, cinching the top spot on Forbes’ list of the 400 wealthiest Americans for the 19th consecutive year.

That’s what a net worth of $66 billion will do for a guy. Last year, he had $59 billion.

Berkshire Hathaway Inc. head Warren Buffett, again in second place, trailed with $46 billion. The slacker.

Larry Ellison, co-founder of Oracle Corp., was next with $41 billion. The rest of the top 10 was populated with the likes of the Koch brothers, the Wal-Mart Waltons and New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg.
He needs to spend more!

In other news:
The Walton family, heirs to the founders of the Wal-Mart Stores Inc. superchain, are worth nearly as much as the bottom half of American households combined.

The Waltons' value -- $89.5 billion in 2010 – is equal to the worth of the 41.5% of families at the lower end of the income ladder, according to an analysis by Josh Bivens of the Economic Policy Institute. That comes out to 48.8 million households.
What's the GNP of Canada? More or less than the Waltons?
Asheran Mojomaster
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Re: Gates still richest American

Post by Asheran Mojomaster »

I do not know if it is true, but I was told that Bill Gates' will is setup to give almost all of his money to charity when he dies. It leaves his children a decent amount by most people's standards, but its only in the millions.

He needs to invest some of it into the moon expedition and asteroid mining.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Like him or not the guy still gives a lot to charity and starts other worthy causes even now when he's still quite alive. Although I think without Melinda that probably wouldn't have happened. I could be wrong! Anyway, if only more rich people would do that.

Results of the first search I did..
Bill Gates has pledged to give all of his £30billion ($58billion) fortune to charity - rather than leaving it for his children.

The founder of Microsoft, who steps down from his post next week, said he wants to make a 'positive contribution' to the world.

He has promised to transfer his money to the charity he has said up with his wife Melinda, The Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, which funds health and education projects around the world.

His revealed his decision a week before he steps down as executive chairman of Microsoft, the firm he founded more than 30 years ago

The 52-year-old will continue to work as non-executive chairman and will spend just one day a week at the business.

Speaking about the joint-decision he made regarding his fortune with his wife, he said: 'We've chosen not to pass it on to our children.

'We want to give it back to society in the way that it will have the most positive impact.

He said he did not want to leave it in his will for his children and added: 'It's like saying which children are most important.
Last edited by Aslanna on December 5, 2012, 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

George Lucas is giving away the Billions he made on the Star Wars sale to Disney. That's pretty cool even though he ruined episodes 1-3 and maybe feels guilty about it.