The New Golden Age of TV

Movie, DVD, and TV reviews and discussion

Moderators: Abelard, Drolgin Steingrinder

Asheran Mojomaster
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

The New Golden Age of TV

Post by Asheran Mojomaster »

As I watch more and more HBO \ Showtime \ AMC series, I am becoming more and more convinced that the idea of a new "Golden Age of TV" is correct.

When I was growing up, I loved to watch TV, but the shows were mostly bland. I had South Park starting in 3rd grade, and there was Seinfeld (which I like), Friends (which I hate), some random hospital dramas that were really popular, and a few other shows that could be considered truly good TV. Most stuff was crap. As time went on, reality shows took the spotlight, and they were mostly horrible. I had pretty much resigned myself to only watching a few series, off and on, that were ok, and ignoring 99% of everything else.

But, over the past 5-10 years, it seems like there has been a fundamental shift in how television is made.

The idea of using extremely talented, but largely unknown, actors mixed with a few recognizable names in some cases, combined with well written scripts, and large budgets with few limitations placed on the creative vision of the writers, directors, etc seems to have taken hold.

I noticed this in Battle Star Galactica first. It was one of the first of these new age shows, and had me completely hooked. The ending was horrible, but until that point it was spectacular. Then came Rome, Weeds, Breaking Bad, Mad Men, The Walking Dead, Dexter, Game of Thrones, Spartacus, and I know there are others that I just cannot think of. I do not even watch Mad Men or Dexter, because I'm not as interested in the base idea, and I don't want to get addicted to another series. I need to save that space for whatever other new, awesome show comes out that has a basic idea that I am interested in.

Even the shows that are not as good, and do not catch on as well, have made me happy. Sanctuary, Stargate Universe, Terra Nova, Revolution (not canceled yet, and may bloom into something good), Camelot, and countless others have came in and would be worth the time, except there are so many other AMAZING shows that overshadow them.

That isn't even touching the network sitcoms and other shows that are awesome, like The Big Bang Theory.

I am very happy with the direction TV is going. I am so excited about so many series this year, and I hope more are developed.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Re: The New Golden Age of TV

Post by Fairweather Pure »

Adding to this is the fact we can DVR these shows or watch them on Netflix/Hulu/Amazon Prime/Ect at our own pace. I can devour an entire series from beginning to end in just a couple of weeks because I watch stuff while I work. In the past I would have been pretty damn intimidated being 3-4 seasons behind on a particular show. Now it's no big deal at all. No commercials, no waiting on cliffhangers, and instant gratification. Furthermore, because I watch so much "TV" at work, I have absolutely no desire to watch any at home. win/win!
Asheran Mojomaster
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Yeah, it is pretty freaking awesome.
masteen
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by masteen »

Ugg, mention Friends, but not Seinfeld, West Wing, or NYPD Blue.
"There is at least as much need to curb the cruel greed and arrogance of part of the world of capital, to curb the cruel greed and violence of part of the world of labor, as to check a cruel and unhealthy militarism in international relationships." -Theodore Roosevelt
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Seinfeld was awesome. Friends was just a meh generic sitcom.
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Add Deadwood.

Even Modern Family for comedies.
Asheran Mojomaster
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Winnow wrote:Add Deadwood.

Even Modern Family for comedies.
Yeah, Deadwood. There are so many great shows that I can't remember all of them, or haven't had time to sit down and watch through them yet.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

You also mentioned Battlestar Gallactica, a show that many of us liked that seemed to fade from memory after the crappy ending. There are a lot of shows that should have stopped after the first season or seasons. For example, HEROES. The thread on VV discussing season one of HEROES is humongous. HEROES and shows like Lost should get some credit because they kicked ass in the beginning and were worth watching (it's the journey, not the destination that's important after all)
Asheran Mojomaster
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Yep. Battlestar was different though, in my opinion. It was awesome until close to the end. It felt like they forced it to the end. Honestly, I think it would have been better if it had went a full season or two longer to reach a more logical conclusion.
Kaldaur
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Kaldaur

Post by Kaldaur »

BSG's problem was that they didn't have an end, even at the end. Ron Moore thought it up in the shower. As for the rest, couldn't agree more. This is a great time for great TV.
Chidoro
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Chidoro »

A lot of new tv is so good because they aren't tied to a one of the 3 main networks. With all of the channels out there, shows don't need to pull in 15+ ratings to be successful. Throw in that content can be more adult in nature (language, themes, etc), comedies don't have to be shitty laugh track-a-thons, or some kind of CSI or Hospital nonsense. It's amazing that, aside from sports, I dont think we ever watch a major network channel anymore.
Asheran Mojomaster
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Chidoro wrote:A lot of new tv is so good because they aren't tied to a one of the 3 main networks. With all of the channels out there, shows don't need to pull in 15+ ratings to be successful. Throw in that content can be more adult in nature (language, themes, etc), comedies don't have to be shitty laugh track-a-thons, or some kind of CSI or Hospital nonsense. It's amazing that, aside from sports, I dont think we ever watch a major network channel anymore.
The networks have a few things I still watch. I like the Big Bang Theory, The Office, SNL from time to time, Revolution (not great, but I find it entertaining), and a few other things. However, they are quickly losing what is left of their hold.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

I honestly don't know why some sitcoms still use laugh tracks. I find it a bit insulting that they think I need to be told when to laugh.
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Canelek

Post by Canelek »

Major networks are also bound by ad sponsors, many of which are super conservative. A risk for them, money-wise; and they are petrified to lose the big ads.
en kærlighed småkager