Apple - New Phone and Tablet

Support, Discussion, Reviews
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Re: Apple - New Phone and Tablet

Post by Winnow »

Maps is a major issue and they took ownership of the problem. The rest of the complaints are minor bs stuff you can also find on other phones or other minor crap on other phones not found on the iPhone.

Still have:

fastest phone on the market
best quality screen on the market
best app store
easiest "just works" phone

phonejack on the bottom of the phone....BOOOYAAAAHH!
Stonie
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by Stonie »

Winnow wrote: Still have:

fastest phone on the market, four years ago
best quality screen on the market, four years ago
best app store, four years ago

I'll give you the last one. The other three are fixed.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Stonie wrote:
Winnow wrote: Still have:

fastest phone on the market, four years ago
best quality screen on the market, four years ago
best app store, four years ago

I'll give you the last one. The other three are fixed.

Sorry "bro" but that's current info, not four years ago.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Post by Funkmasterr »

Even if it is (I don't care enough to check), it won't be up to date info in like a month when a new Android phone comes out.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: miir1

Post by miir »

Lumia 920 screen is better than iphone5 screen.
I've got 99 problems and I'm not dealing with any of them - Lay-Z
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Funkmasterr wrote:Even if it is (I don't care enough to check), it won't be up to date info in like a month when a new Android phone comes out.
Not hard to check, I linked the benchmarks and screen review on the previous page. Like any other phone, it will be replaced in a year with a better one. You'll find some creaky plasticy phones with various parts that may best iPhone 5 over the next year but as a complete package, it's doubtful. I do think that it will be hard to keep any phone for 2 full years but that's true of Android and Win 8 as well. It wasn't until 1.8 years into owning the iPhone 4 that the Galaxy SIII made a worthy alternative. Since 2008, that's the first time there was even anything close.

Manufacturing quality, battery life, weight, etc etc etc. It's a high quality phone from top to bottom. Don't see any compelling reason to switch, all things considered. Doesn't mean I might not switch in a year for a Win 8 phone if they turn out OK but there would have to be a good reason.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

miir wrote:Lumia 920 screen is better than iphone5 screen.

That would be a Windows 8 phone. As to the screen being better, can you provide a comparison to the iPhone 5 screen similar to this so I can see the differences?

http://www.displaymate.com/Smartphone_ShootOut_2.htm
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

I tried to get the Samsung Galaxy S3 last weekend, but it was sold out everywhere I went...even Wal-Mart was sold out. My money is on everyone that couldn't get the latest iphone at release went and got the S3 instead. This was the first phone that made me want to even try getting another mobile in a couple years.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

Winnow wrote:

That would be a Windows 8 phone. As to the screen being better, can you provide a comparison to the iPhone 5 screen similar to this so I can see the differences?

It's larger and has a higher pixel density.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

miir wrote:
Winnow wrote:

As you can see from my linked comparison, there's more to what determines the quality of a screen than that. When 920 is released, the same site will probably do a similar comparison.
Aabidano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aabidano »

The first rule of the iPhone club is you must tell everyone about the iPhone club.
"Life is what happens while you're making plans for later."
Siji
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: mAcK 624
PSN ID: mAcK_624
Wii Friend Code: 7304853446448491

Post by Siji »

Funkmasterr wrote:I use youtube a ton on them both, and removing that app as a default really irritates me. There is a app in place for it already, but it's getting shitty reviews.
I use ProTube and love it. Not sure if it's in the app store or just Cydia, but it's worth using.

I really don't understand why a company would make such drastic changes without having at least some functional replacements implemented. I mean, they had to know Maps was their most widely used app ever and removing that functionality would really piss off a bunch of people.

I'll never own an iPhone 5 and still haven't seen any urgent reason to ever upgrade to IOS6. I can't see switching to an Android phone, but I can see holding off on giving Apple anymore of my money until a real upgrade comes along.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

So I've had my iPhone 5 since Monday.

Here's my thoughts on it after 4 days of use:

-LTE is fucking awesome. Check the image above for speed test. If I take averages of several speed tests, I get consistently in the high 25-28 Mbps download and about 12 Mbps. I have grandfathered in unlimited data with AT&T.

-Anyone complaining about the iPhone 5 being too light is a fucking moron. The lighter the better. I'm using it without a case and it feels easier to hold/grip than my iPhone 4. Not sure why anyone would complain about it being too light. Just trolling I guess.

-Screen is beautiful as expected. While 3.5 to 4.0" may not seem like much, it's noticeable when using it. I'm also glad Apple finally went with a 16:9 screen. Netflix, etc look outstanding and now fills the screen with the standard aspect ratio TV shows, etc.

-Fast fast fast. First phone I've had that doesn't make me hesitate to access any graphics heavy websites, etc. With the combo of LTE and hella fast CPU/GPU, you aren't waiting around for anything.

-new cable/connector Tiny. The "good" is that it is nice to not really have to think about which way it plugs into the phone. Minor thing but nice. Bad is that I want a second cable for work just in case I'd need to charge my phone and they're backlogged several weeks right now on those cables. Also, it's 19.00 for the USB cable which is high, but at least not as high as the 29-39 for the plug in the wall and converter versions. While 19.00 is still nuts, I thought I'd have to pay 29 so at least better than I thought.

-Speaker. Many may not care but this matters a lot to me. The speaker in the new iPhone is incredible. Clear and loud. I maxed speaker volume on my iPhone 4 as a default and never really touched it. Sometimes in the car, it would be just loud enough to hear while on the Highway with the phone upside down in my shirt pocket listening to podcasts. With the new phone I'm not needing to max it. Can't really assign a number but I'd say it's 3X's as good as the iPhone 4's speaker when loudness and clarity are considered. Emphasis on clarity here because louder is good but while I listen to audio podcasts, I did play some music though the speakers to test them and was impressed with what I was hearing. (of course no bass)

-Siri. First iPhone I've had with Siri. It's cool but don't know how much I'll use it. I tried various easy stuff like "Did the Cardinals Win?" I guess GPS-wise, it was smart enough to recognize I was in Arizona and gave me the Arizona Cardinals score instead of St Louis Cardinals baseball team. I asked it to "find nearest McDonalds" and it complied.

I think Siri is definitely good enough for the basics. Finding restaurants, stores, scores, etc. I haven't used it yet though on the fly so until I actually use it, it's not a major factor and it's not unique as Android has this ability as well.

-battery. So far so good. seems to be as good as my previous iPhone despite being lighter and having a larger screen.

-Wireless. no issues.

-apps on larger screen. Non factor. already had 64 app updates to iOS6 to adjust screen size. The image above is an example of a non updated app. There's black back bars on top and bottom. Hard to see especially with black iphone as it blends in with the color of the phone. Major apps, and majority of apps I use are already updated anyway.

-took a few pictures with the sun directly in the image to see if I had that purple "haze" people mentioned and didn't see it anywhere around the sun. I don't plan on taking too many pictures directly of the sun but figured I'd test it out.

-Look and feel. Overall I like it. I'm not fond of the mulitinted back. I do like the stealthy "all black" look to it with no silver on the sides. I'm satisfied with the 4" inch screen. There is some benefit to having the same width as the previous iPhone. It's very comfortable in one hand to operate. I guess I'll just say that I'm more happy with the size of the screen than I thought I would be.

Bottom line is it's very slick. The combo of a slightly larger screen with much faster data transfer and very fast CPU/GPU make it feel like you have "instant access" to the net as well as apps with a buttery smooth flow to everything and it's still small enough that if you lube it up, you could shove it up your ass. A bonus for prison smugglers.
Last edited by Winnow on October 10, 2012, 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chidoro
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Chidoro »

Aabidano wrote:The first rule of the iPhone club is you must tell everyone about the iPhone club.
:lol:
Chidoro
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Chidoro »

Winnow wrote:
miir wrote:
Winnow wrote:

As you can see from my linked comparison, there's more to what determines the quality of a screen than that. When 920 is released, the same site will probably do a similar comparison.
Something I came across http://www.theverge.com/2012/9/23/33758 ... ed-display

Of course, it’s the web, I’m sure there’s a ‘iamright.com’ for any comparison.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Chidoro wrote:
Something I came across http://www.theverge.com/2012/9/23/33758 ... ed-display

Of course, it’s the web, I’m sure there’s a ‘iamright.com’ for any comparison.
You probably want to wait for an independent comparison like the one I posted above but the 920's screen looks like it will be a good one.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

My speeds are increasing! Not bad for a phone. That upload speed destroys my cable upload speed. Super impressed with LTE on AT&T so far.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

Yawn.
Some of us have had LTE since April... it's really not that big of a deal.
Next year you'll probably be splooging over NFC or some other bit of tech that the iphone gets 6-12 months after everyone else.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Post your speed test.*

*or shut the fuck up
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Canelek

Post by Canelek »

LTE is OK. Depends on location of course. I can watch live NFL games on my phone with directv app. Pretty cool!
en kærlighed småkager
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

Winnow wrote:Post your speed test.*

*or shut the fuck up
I don't think I need to post screenshots to prove my phone 6 months ago was as fast as your new phone is today.

But if posting speedtest screenshots somehow helps you rationalize your purchase of the (somewhat dated) iphone 5... have at it. :)
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Post by Funkmasterr »

The new layout of the iTunes app is next on the list of changes I really don't like. Still pretty sure I'm jumping the iPhone ship.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

Funkmasterr wrote:The new layout of the iTunes app is next on the list of changes I really don't like. Still pretty sure I'm jumping the iPhone ship.
Can't say I'm a fan of iOS 6 either.
Some of the interface tweaks aren't bad, but it's such a pig.
It's no wonder they have to keep putting beefier and beefier processors in iOS devices, there's so much bloat.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

miir wrote:
But if posting speedtest screenshots somehow helps you rationalize your purchase of the (somewhat dated) iphone 5... have at it. :)
Ah, so your LTE speed sucks in your area. Got it!

Somewhat dated? I'm sorry, is there a faster phone out there I'm not aware of? Do you have some sort of custom CPU/GPU in your phone?
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

LTE in Toronto is quite good and since I live in the downtown core, the coverage is exceptional.

Also, WP7 doesn't require a multi core processor to be snappy and responsive.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

It's ok miir, I understand. :roll:
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

You do what you gotta do to rationalize your iphone 5 purchase.

Android and wp users really don't feel the need to do that because we actually get good value and features on our phones... we may not have the "most beautiful and most powerful mapping service" or the "thinnest and lightest iphone ever" but we get no fuss devices that have the features we want at a good price point... not an overpriced phone with features we're told that we want.

I'm glad you like your iphone5.
We like our android and windows phones too.
And we're all happy that you're finally getting some of the features we love on our phones.

cheers!
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

miir wrote: We like our android and windows phones too.

That's the thing. I don't speak for anyone else. Just for myself.

I never claimed iPhone 5 was the best or only choice, just that I've been more impressed with it that I thought I would be. I'm looking forward to how the Windows 8 phones turn out. Hopefully they will provide a worthy alternative.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

Winnow wrote:I've been more impressed with it that I thought I would be.
It's interesting to see iphone users expectations set so low.
Iphone used to be the best (by far).
Now they really only beat Blackberry in terms of features.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

miir wrote:
Winnow wrote:I've been more impressed with it that I thought I would be.
It's interesting to see iphone users expectations set so low.
Iphone used to be the best (by far).
Now they really only beat Blackberry in terms of features.
It's hard to release a completely innovative phone on a yearly basis. It was still released as the fasted phone with the best quality screen with upgrades that I like. I supposed its low expectations by not expecting something amazingly different from an already top-line phone. I knew what I was buying and, as stated, am more impressed than I thought I would be with the screen, speed, speaker, and other improvements.

The rest of the phone market has finally grabbed Apple's coattails and at least are in the same ballpark which helps all consumers since Apple can't sit back and laugh anymore.

For non Apple users, welcome to 2007, the start date which Apple has been kicking your ass for the last 6 years, making constant improvements to the best and only quality smart phone back when it was introduced.

Most people here know I'm a tech geek and will buy all sorts of stuff. Even with my propensity to buy new hardware even if not required, I still haven't bought an Android tablet. I'll probably be buying a Windows 8 tablet though. Not sure if I'll get an RT release or wait a few months for the Win 8 Pro versions to be released.

And if there's any doubt, I still used my iPad(s) all the time. If I was a female cyborg, I'd be constantly on my period using iPads all the time. I have determined that two iPads is enough though. The original one just sits by my bed permanently as part of an iPhone Alarm/Music clock...at least it still has a use!
Leonaerd
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Leonaerd »

Winnow wrote:If I was a female cyborg, I'd be constantly on my period using iPads all the time.
Ahh how did I not consider the female cyborg angle?
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Jedi's don't use shields. Apple wins!
Aabidano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aabidano »

Apple quietly resumes selling out their users:
http://www.entrepreneur.com/article/224 ... cdn=224648
Wonder if they'll say "Oopsie!, We didn't mean it!" this time too?

*Edit - can assume Google is doing the same thing, especially if your WiFi is on.
"Life is what happens while you're making plans for later."
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Post by Fairweather Pure »

The rumors were true: HTC has been working on a new flagship phone with a 1080p display, and we got to see it in Tokyo today. It's the HTC J Butterfly, and it's set for a release this December on AU / KDDI. A follow-up to the previous HTC J, the Butterfly uses the same red and black color scheme and Rhyme-inspired skin, though this time it's running on top of Android 4.1 Jelly Bean. Inside there's a quad-core 1.5GHz Snapdragon S4 Pro APQ8064 processor, 2GB of RAM, and an 8-megapixel camera.

The real attraction, though, is the 5-inch full HD Super LCD 3 screen — it's truly a sight to behold. The Super LCD 2 seen in HTC's previous flagship One X was arguably the best panel on the market, but we think its successor is the new champion. Color reproduction is excellent, the 440ppi resolution is astonishing, and the screen's slightly curved edges make the image look like it's melting off the side of the phone. It doesn't feel overbearing in the hands, either; the phone's 9.1mm thinness and slim bezel make it surprisingly compact, and we found it was easily pocketable. The J Butterfly's 2,020mAh battery is above average in capacity, though we're interested to find out how it'll keep up with powering so many pixels throughout the course of a day.

While this is a Japan-specific model and almost certain to stay that way, HTC reps told us that its display will be making its way into other phones around the world. If the J Butterfly is anything to go by, you should start to get excited.
So much for the iphone having the best screen
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Let me know when you can buy it here in the U.S.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

Apple marketing is becoming a parody of itself.
It's not just a shrunken-down iPad, it's an entirely new design,
Well, except for the fact that it looks exactly the same, has the same screen resolution, does exact the same things and is used the exact same way.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

um, new design also means internally. Less border on the sides as well!

Cars have new designs...but they do the same thing!
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

What kind of idiot is gonna pay $330 for an ipad mini.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

miir wrote:What kind of idiot is gonna pay $330 for an ipad mini.
I suppose someone that wants the best available tablet in the 7-8 inch size range.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Borderlands: Legends

Available only on iOS because Androids sucks:

http://www.joystiq.com/2012/10/23/borde ... lable-oct/
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

All those chumps who dropped $500+ on 'The New iPad" 6 months ago must be feeing pretty fucking ripped off right about now.
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Canelek

Post by Canelek »

miir wrote:All those chumps who dropped $500+ on 'The New iPad" 6 months ago must be feeing pretty fucking ripped off right about now.
I doubt it. Have you seen the lines of people every time Apple releases more slightly-different-versions-of-the-same-devices? That fan base isn't going anywhere for a while, despite the obvious money-grabs every 6 months. It gives them a chance to be with their own.
en kærlighed småkager
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

They actually discontinued 'The New iPad'
The one they released like 6-7 months ago.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

miir wrote:All those chumps who dropped $500+ on 'The New iPad" 6 months ago must be feeing pretty fucking ripped off right about now.

Why? I don't understand why people get upset when newer models are released. How stupid is that? You can just keep on waiting because, surprise! There's going to be another new model and with how fast technology advances, those releases come quicker and quicker...now complete android loving morons like you will quote the specs on every fucking android phone released weekly but then you get all excited about an apple product released less than a year apart? You sir, are an idiot.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

Apple's product life-cycles make sense for the most part..
One year later release a new device at the same price and drop the price on the old device.

This ipad 'upgrade' makes no sense.
My brother in law bought one a few weeks ago and feels ripped off that the new one (according to Apple marketing) is 'twice as fast'. Apple won't even exchange it for a new 'The New iPad'

Winnow, you are nothing but an apple icock ichugging ifanboy.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

It basically has a slightly faster processor and the new lighting port. What's the big deal? It wasn't some major release. I have the new iPad and have no desire to get the latest release and have absolutely zero remorse in my purchase. If there some was something major (such as the monster upgrade in screen quality from the iPad 2, then I'd consider purchasing it, but I still wouldn't feel bad about my purchase.

People (like you) say how, while iPhone 5 is the best out there right now (fastest, best screen, etc) that it won't last for long and then bitch about quicker than 1 year releases? You can't have it both ways fool. That constitutes someone who simply likes to whine about shit.

Hell, I'd love to see a six month release schedule. You can choose to wait out your 2 year contract and you know you're getting the latest each time or upgrade before the two years if you feel like it.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

you misunderstood, it is an ipod maximus touch!
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

Boogahz wrote:
you misunderstood, it is an ipod maximus touch!
Yep, same processor, same cameras, etc.
Still can't figure out why they are still using an obsolete aspect ratio and screen resolution from the 90s.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

wow same jokes? People said the iPad was just a big iTouch as well...100 Million+ units later (30 million projected for Q4 12 alone) and complete domination of the tablet market later...I think it's a pretty funny joke! Good one!
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

iPad now has 52% marketshare (down from 95% 18 months ago). Not exactly 'complete domination'
iPhone is down to 18% marketshare.

Apple has been too busy trying to pressure other companies with obscure patent violation litigation... all the while falling behind on innovation and failing to deliver products that appeal to a wider range of consumers.
It seems like they are just trying to milk the Apple faithful for as much as possible before they fall back into being a minor player in the smartphone/tablet fields.