Ivy Bridge Upgrade Thread

Support, Discussion, Reviews
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Ivy Bridge Upgrade Thread

Post by Aslanna »

Might be nice to keep most of the stuff related to Ivy Bridge in one place!

What chipset will you need? Sounds like Z77 or Z75 for the most part. Only 2 SATA III though? Seems cheap. 4 USB 3.0 also seems weak.
Much has been written about Ivy Bridge, Intel's next generation processors. As is usual for any new processor, there are many new features that are provided by the accompanying chipset, in this case Panther Point. For the desktop computer user that initially consists of 6 chipsets in Q2 2012, with USB 3.0 as standard, Intel Rapid Start technology and a host of other features.

Initially, there will be 6 Panther Point chipsets, 3 for consumer platforms and 3 for business platforms. The 2 performance chipsets for the consumer market are known as Z77 and Z75, while the mainstream consumer chipset is H77. The high-end business chipset, also known as the Stable Platform, is the Q77. Next comes Q75, with a few less features. Lastly, we have B75, the Transactional Platform chipset.

Panther Point is the first generation of chipset to have USB 3.0 integrated, offering 4 USB 3.0 ports on all versions. These are accompanied by 10 USB 2.0 ports on all except B75, which has 8 USB 2.0 ports.

Rapid Start Technology, with a claimed 5-8 seconds resume from hibernate, is available on all chipset. Smart Connect Technology, which provides a smoother cloud experience by constantly updating content, is also available on all chipsets. Smart Response Technology, which was introduced with Z68, is also available with Z77, H77 and Q77 chipsets.

Panther Point also adds wireless display/music ports to the chipset, as well as providing 3 separate displays when supported by an Ivy Bridge processor. Support includes HDMI 1.4a, DVI, DP, eDP and VGA.

On the desktop, there are 16 PCIe lanes available. All boards will be able to use a single PCIe x16 device, while the two Z7x chipsets add the option to use two devices at x8. On Z77 boards there is also the option of using one device at x8 and two more devices at x4 speeds. Information about what PCIe slots will be available on the business chipsets is unclear at the moment. Business chipsets will also have PCI available, which is not available in the consumer chipsets.

All the chipsets will have 6 available SATA ports. B75 and Q75 will have one that is able to operate at SATA III speeds. Other chipsets will have two SATA III ports. Remaining SATA ports will run at SATA II speeds.

Features that will be common accross all chipsets include Intel Rapid Storage Technology 11, single disk migration and RAID 0/1/5/10. An integrated audio codec, supporting HDMI and DP audio, as well as an integrated gigabit Ethernet MAC, are also included. All boards will be able to support 4 DIMMs in dual-channel configuration.

Business chipsets add a few security and manageability features, which vary across the range. Intel vPro Technology, available on the Q77 chipset, with i7 and supported i5 processors, adds a few new features, including Identity Protection, OS Guard and Secure Key. These features provide a level of hardware based security to those that need it. Intel Standard Manageability is available on Q77 and Q75. Finally, Q77 and B75 support Intel Small Business Advantage.
When will they be out? And for how much!
Intel, meanwhile, had originally planned to launch Ivy Bridge this month but production issues caused the chip giant to push the launch of the bulk of chips in its next-generation, 22-nanometer product line to June, Intel executive Sean Maloney said back in February.

Now it looks like a whole bunch of Ivy Bridge processors could show up on the original schedule, after all. Last week, CPU World pointed to reports from SWEclockers and Donanimhaber pointing to an April 29 release date for Ivy Bridge desktop and notebook CPUs.

The processors that are supposed to arrive on that date include several new Core i5 and Core i7 chips for the desktop market, and three Core i7 mobile processors as well (list below). All of the Ivy Bridge parts rumored for an April 29 arrival are quad-core CPUs, with some additional dual-core mobile chips (plus another handful of quad-core desktop chips) supposedly coming on June 3, according to CPU World.

CPU News wasn't initially sure about when Intel would announce that Ivy Bridge was arriving sooner than expected, but noted on Tuesday that the Chinese-language VR-Zone now claims that the company will announce its new products on April 23. That date doesn't seem to jibe with CNET's report on HP's plans, however, so we'll have to wait and see how all of this plays out.

In the meantime, here's the breakdown of specs and prices for Intel Ivy Bridge CPUs that are supposedly going to arrive before the month is out:

Ivy Bridge Quad-Core, Eight-Thread Desktop CPUs

Core i7-3770K (3.5GHz, 3.9 GHz w/Turbo Boost, 8MB L3 Cache, 77W): $332
Core i7-3770 (3.4GHz, 3.9GHz w/Turbo Boost, 8MB L3 Cache, 77W): $294
Core i7-3770S (3.1GHz, 3.9 GHz w/Turbo Boost, 8MB L3 Cache, 65W): $294
Core i7-3770T (2.5GHz, 3.7GHz w/Turbo Boost, 8MB L3 Cache, 45W): $294

Ivy Bridge Quad-Core, Four-Thread Desktop CPUs

Core i5-3570K (3.4GHz, 3.8GHz w/Turbo Boost, 6MB L3 Cache, 77W): $225
Core i5-3570T (2.3GHz, 3.3 GHz w/Turbo Boost, 6MB L3 Cache, 45W): $205
Core i5-3550 (3.3GHz, 3.7GHz w/Turbo Boost, 6MB L3 Cache, 77W): $205
Core i5-3550S (3.0GHz, 3.7GHz w/Turbo Boost, 6MB L3 Cache, 65W): $205
Core i5-3450 (3.1GHz, 3.5GHz w/Turbo Boost, 6MB L3 Cache, 77W): $184
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Canelek

Re: Ivy Bridge Upgrade Thread

Post by Canelek »

B75, the Transactional Platform chipset.
Like Online Transactional Processing(OLTP)? Interesting, but is this a enterprise-level CPU or just a workstation CPU? Alas, since I work for IBM now, there is really no choice as far as hardware procurement. Not sure what we are getting these days--all I hear is IBM and 40-core (assuming IBM BladeCenter). Will need to look up specs to see if the new Intel stuff is an option, or even the standard.

Interested to see all CPU-class benchmarks compared to the current i3/i5/i7 line. Strangely, there is basically zero non-TV marketing around here, even though the headquarters and a few factories are all in the Portland suburbs.
en kærlighed småkager
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

3770Ks are hard to find if you want to not pay full retail ($400). Amazon is out of stock as is NewEgg. Who got some more in around 4:00 PM according to the auto notify email I received but were out of stock at 8:00 when I got around to actually ordering. I'm starting to wonder if I really need i7 anyway. Other than Hyper-Threading (which I hear not a lot of things are programmed to utilize) and 2 extra MB of cache the i5 is $100 cheaper. I don't really plan to overclock so might just go with the 3750.

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

I can't seem to get motivated to upgrade. The new chips are nice but not as big an increase as I was expecting. I'm still eying the Nvidia 680 as my card.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

I went ahead and ordered the Motherboard and Memory since I (think I) got a fairly good deal at NewEgg.

G.SKILL Ripjaws Z Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2133 (PC3 17000) Desktop Memory Model F3-17000CL9Q-16GBZH

ASUS P8Z77-V PRO LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

Normally I go top of the line on MB but I like the features of the Pro over the Deluxe. MB is on sale, $30 off on combo deal, and another $21 off from a 15% promo code on memory which I was surprised still worked on a combo deal. So both for under $300.

SSD is already waiting so pretty much all I need now is a CPU!

--
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Post by Fairweather Pure »

You should be able to run EverQuest with that.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Aslanna wrote:I went ahead and ordered the Motherboard and Memory since I (think I) got a fairly good deal at NewEgg.

G.SKILL Ripjaws Z Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2133 (PC3 17000) Desktop Memory Model F3-17000CL9Q-16GBZH

ASUS P8Z77-V PRO LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

Normally I go top of the line on MB but I like the features of the Pro over the Deluxe. MB is on sale, $30 off on combo deal, and another $21 off from a 15% promo code on memory which I was surprised still worked on a combo deal. So both for under $300.

SSD is already waiting so pretty much all I need now is a CPU!

Not bad. I think I see the 15% coupon for memory from a Coupon email I received from Newegg. It expired 5/11. Bah.

I think there's a motherboard coming out from Gigabyte within a month that has Thunderbolt which might interest me if I go with the $849 Apple 27" Apple Thunderbolt display but I don't think I want to limit myself to that interface.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Asus has a handful of motherboards with a Thunderbolt header although it's not something I'm really interested in. I think the one I got has that. You'll have to get a separate card for it when it comes out though.

As far as the GTX 680 goes. I've read some recent reviews saying the 670 is nearly as good.. And $100 cheaper. So I'll probably go for that once I decide to upgrade video cards.

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Aslanna wrote: As far as the GTX 680 goes. I've read some recent reviews saying the 670 is nearly as good.. And $100 cheaper. So I'll probably go for that once I decide to upgrade video cards.
Hmmm, this article from [H]ardocp indicates that the GTX 670 would be a very good value and reach the same FPS as the 680 with OC.

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2012/05/ ... d_review/1

You don't seem to be missing much except for a few shaders and less clock speed. All other features are enabled. Biggest thing for me is if it can handle 2560x1600 with max settings with ~50-60 fps and it looks like it can.

Hmmm, newegg has a couple 670's in stock. Never heard of the brands but it's tempting to buy one now and replace my Nvidia 285 while I research the rest of my hardware. All 680's and most 670's are out of stock. PCi 2 vs PCi 3 slots mean nothing in terms of performance atm so I can slot it on my current MB. 100.00 difference in price doesn't matter much to me but the lower power consumption is nice. I've budgeted 3K for my PC upgrade if needed but that doesn't mean I want to use that much.

I'm pretty sure Ill be getting the Corsair 600T PC Case as well although I'm still looking around. It's a huge mid tower case. Lots of room with great cable management, no separate PSU compartment BS for cable routing hassles of the otherwise awesome Antec P180 case I've been using for years. Lots of though put into easy installation.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6811139007

http://youtu.be/iFUO_RwTDg8?hd=1 (newegg video review of the 600T) Tons of space, good air flow, monster 20 CM fans with external speed adjustment, lots of USB ports in front, semi cheap at 159.00 ( think that's what my Antec P180 cost back in the day)
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

I just purchased a GTX 670 on newegg for $399.00

For reference, my last build purchase form newegg 2/17/2009

G.SKILL 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9T-6GBNQ
Item #: N82E16820231225
Limited Non-Refundable 30-Day Return Policy

$135.99

Western Digital Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
Item #: N82E16822136319
30 Day Return Policy
This item is serviced by the Western Digital. Please call 800 832 4778 for service.

$79.99

ASUS P6T Deluxe LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard
Item #: N82E16813131346
For Asus Tech Support, Please Call 502-995-0883 or http://helpdesk.asus.com/

$299.99

XFX GX285NZDFF GeForce GTX 285 1GB 512-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card
Item #: N82E16814150334

$354.99

Intel Core i7-920 Bloomfield 2.66GHz LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor BX80601920
Item #: N82E16819115202
--Processors (CPUs) Return Policy

$289.99
More than 3 years out of that build! (with SSD added after initial purchase)

Here's a monster thread on [H]ardocp re GTX 670 vs 680 and other cards:

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1692319
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Nvidia said they'd have a better supply of the GTX 670's but it looks like they're just about out of stock at New Egg:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductLi ... 70&x=0&y=0

One brand left.

680s area ll out of stock:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductLi ... 80&x=0&y=0
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

I can wait. I only buy EVGA cards and they don't have any -AR models out yet which are the Lifetime Warranty variety. I'm probably going to just use the built in graphics on the CPU for awhile so will see how that goes. I'm not expecting much but hopefully for day to day use it will be acceptable.

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Aslanna wrote:I can wait. I only buy EVGA cards and they don't have any -AR models out yet which are the Lifetime Warranty variety. I'm probably going to just use the built in graphics on the CPU for awhile so will see how that goes. I'm not expecting much but hopefully for day to day use it will be acceptable.

EVGA? pffft! Zotac all the way! Actually, I've never heard of them but that's my new card. They havea 5 year extended warranty so that's enough for me considering I'm upgrading after three years.

Here's a 10+ min review of the card from Newegg:

http://youtu.be/i_RdiAsdOok?hd=1
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Zotac! Isn't that the leader of Scientologists or something?

Oh and as far as the cases go.. The Corsair 600T seems OK but I am not a fan of cases with a side panel window. At least it's 'mesh' for the black model but it's still too window-y for my liking. Why do they think everyone wants one of those? I'll be sticking with the P182 for this go as well but I'm not really looking forward to it. At least I wont have to bother with putting in a new power supply.

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Aslanna wrote: Oh and as far as the cases go.. The Corsair 600T seems OK but I am not a fan of cases with a side panel window. At least it's 'mesh' for the black model but it's still too window-y for my liking. Why do they think everyone wants one of those? I'll be sticking with the P182 for this go as well but I'm not really looking forward to it. At least I wont have to bother with putting in a new power supply.

Well you have the option on the black case for mesh or solid panel on the side. The white version is clear or mesh. I'd go Mesh because supposedly it's still quiet and I can use the extra ventilation. With the GTX 670 being a smaller card and power efficient, a larger case is less necessary.

As for Zotac, i thought it was the name of a super villian from the planet krypton or something. It's pretty much a reference card so hopefully not too many problems and this reports shows its very quiet:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/5818/nvid ... -feat-evga ( this is the EVGA card reviewed)
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Winnow wrote:Well you have the option on the black case for mesh or solid panel on the side. The white version is clear or mesh. I'd go Mesh because supposedly it's still quiet and I can use the extra ventilation.
You have that option but not at NewEgg from what I can tell. They only have the mesh version of the case. The White version includes both in the box that you can switch as you wish but for the black version it's two different models.

--
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

NewEgg has the 600T on sale for $139 with promo code EMCNEJE57. And a $20 rebate after that so $119. Too bad Corsair does those stupid prepaid cards and doesn't just send a check.

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Aslanna wrote:NewEgg has the 600T on sale for $139 with promo code EMCNEJE57. And a $20 rebate after that so $119. Too bad Corsair does those stupid prepaid cards and doesn't just send a check.
Wow not bad. I almost never follow through with rebates. Hate anything that isn't instant. 139.00 isn't bad at all though. Is that off one of their email blasts? I haven't checked mine yet.

edit: nm I see the promo code right on the product page. At least I have until 5/21 to decode on it! Free shipping nice as well on product that heavy. The white version cost 19.99 for shipping.
Drolgin Steingrinder
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
PSN ID: Drolgin

Post by Drolgin Steingrinder »

What would be the cheapest build that could run, oh let's say just hypothetically, Diablo 3?

I can't really afford spending money on an upgrade, but really it's been years and years.
IT'S HARD TO PUT YOUR FINGER ON IT; SOMETHING IS WRONG
I'M LIKE THE UNCLE WHO HUGGED YOU A LITTLE TOO LONG
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Good call on the shipping. Not a lot of cases go out with Free Shipping these days. Yeah that's at least a $10 value as well. I wasn't even considering a new case but who knows.. I really do not like the Antec P182. I have a week to think it over!
Drolgin Steingrinder wrote:What would be the cheapest build that could run, oh let's say just hypothetically, Diablo 3?

I can't really afford spending money on an upgrade, but really it's been years and years.
Guess we need to know a couple things.. What are the minimum system requirements for D3... And what is your current system?

--
Drolgin Steingrinder
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
PSN ID: Drolgin

Post by Drolgin Steingrinder »

Dunno! and shit!

Storagewise I'm okay (except maybe for a system drive, but I could always upgrade to a SSD at some later point). I'm guessing I'd need at least an i5 of some kind? I could probably keep the case, but that's all - the psu is ancient, as is mobo, vid card and processor.
IT'S HARD TO PUT YOUR FINGER ON IT; SOMETHING IS WRONG
I'M LIKE THE UNCLE WHO HUGGED YOU A LITTLE TOO LONG
Stonie
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by Stonie »

Winnow wrote:
More than 3 years out of that build! (with SSD added after initial purchase)

I bought almost your identical system, including a GTX285, in April 2009 I didn't buy an SSD for it until January 2012, though. I can't remember any of my other PC builds that has kept up with heavy FPS games this long. I've thought about buying a new video card recently, but just can't justify the cost. Maybe a 500 series when the 600s lower the prices.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Stonie wrote: I bought almost your identical system, including a GTX285, in April 2009 I didn't buy an SSD for it until January 2012, though. I can't remember any of my other PC builds that has kept up with heavy FPS games this long. I've thought about buying a new video card recently, but just can't justify the cost. Maybe a 500 series when the 600s lower the prices.
I'm still happy with the system but the 285 does not support DX 11. Secret World and other games support support DX 9 and 11. I'd like to take advantage of the best graphics available, otherwise the 285 performance is still solid for a 1920x1200 monitor. I'm also considering a 2560x1600 monitor which would require an improved card.

The 670 is three generations advanced from the 285 so it's a monster leap in performance which that I hope will last at least another 3+ years and be able to be placed in a new system I may built soon as well.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Was reading up on the few reviews of the card I'm getting tomorrow.

Looks good so far although I found it funny how Newegg's auto "buzz" quote generator makes even the bad reviews look good!

BTW, I love Newegg and have always received excellent service from them, even when I had to return an item which has only happened once out of many purchases.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Well there were only 2 reviews total so...

NE is alright. They sent me the wrong item once.. And I had to pay shipping to send it back. Pretty shitty imo since it wasn't my mistake but theirs.

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Aslanna wrote:Well there were only 2 reviews total so...

NE is alright. They sent me the wrong item once.. And I had to pay shipping to send it back. Pretty shitty imo since it wasn't my mistake but theirs.
Gotta look at the bigger picture!

I got free shipping on my video card, 3 day UPS, I checked the tracking and it will be here in two. Free and received early. I suppose if they charged more for shipping they'd probably be more accommodating on free return shipping. It's not like they overcharge for their products to give free shipping. They have the best or close to the best prices most of the time.

Overall I can't complain but there is some "luck of the draw" involved. Considering the prices, selection and availability of hardware at my local Fry's Electronics (which is more than most people get that only have Best Buys etc), Newegg is a pretty good deal even with an occasional glitch.

Hoping I don't jinx myself!
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

The bigger picture is the customer should never have to pay for a mistake not made by the customer. Bottom line!

Anyway... I decided I didn't really care for the 600T all that much with the mesh side panel and the white LED for the fan (that supposedly you can't disable). Instead I'll probably go with the Antec P280. It's $119 now with free shipping so basically the same as the 600T without having to screw with lame rebates. It looks fairly roomy inside and not "blingy" on the outside which is what I liked about the P18x cases.

Grats Corsair. You lost out on another potential customer due to your lame prepaid rebate cards!

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Installing GTX 670 went flawlessly. (there's not much to changing a graphics card really)

The card is dead silent. I can't hear it with my ear right up to it and didn't' hear it ramp up during some video tests. My Antec P180 Case/System was quiet to begin with but it looks like my old card was the loudest thing in there because I can't hear anything now.

Gotta give Nvidia major props for creating a high end card that requires less power (170W), is quiet, and runs cooler than its predecessor (and beats out AMD's offerings in those categories as well)

As with everything else, it needs to stand the test of time but otherwise, the GTX 670 is looking good.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Winnow wrote:Image

Was reading up on the few reviews of the card I'm getting tomorrow.

Looks good so far although I found it funny how Newegg's auto "buzz" quote generator makes even the bad reviews look good!

BTW, I love Newegg and have always received excellent service from them, even when I had to return an item which has only happened once out of many purchases.

Interesting. The review that had bad comments about Newegg was removed. My product is back to a perfect 5 eggs!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6814500242

I wonder where the comment went!
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Everything installed and running for about a day now. No issues although getting Win7 installed was a bit of a pain since it didn't want to recognize the mouse and keyboard although they worked fine while in the BIOS so not sure what was up with that. Eventually I had to plug in a PS2 keyboard and use a USB 3.0 connector with the mouse (2.0 didn't work for some reason).

No overclocking but it's running about 30 Celsius at idle which is about 20-30 degrees (F) cooler than my 930. And things seem much quieter in the new case. However that's without a separate graphics card as I am using the onboard graphics at the moment which at least seem decent enough to run EQ!

I am still deliberating on the P280. As far as aesthetics go I prefer the P182 but the P280 was a lot roomier although it seems 'cheap' in some regards but that could be because it's noticeably lighter. The paint job on the top has a gritty feel which I am not a fan of but I can get over. Definitely nice that Antec got rid of that split compartment crap as I don't think it really helped cooling and really made installation (and upgrading components) less than pleasant.

I originally didn't have a new case in the plan (or budget) but I'm glad I threw it in there since it allows me to use my current system until I get everything installed and configured in the new one which I'm sure will be a few weeks. Oh and also glad I read some reviews and decided to throw in some ATX cable extenders since I don't think the stock cables on my PSU would would have reached the connectors otherwise.

I'll probably add a GTX 670 next month (or whenever they become plentiful) and that should do it for this upgrade for the next 3-4 years.

So final build ended up being:

MB - ASUS P8Z77-V PRO LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
CPU - Intel Core i7-3770K Ivy Bridge 3.5GHz (3.9GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 77W Quad-Core Desktop Processor
RAM - G.SKILL Ripjaws Z Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2133 (PC3 17000)
HDD - SAMSUNG 830 Series MZ-7PC256D/AM 2.5" 256GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
Case - Antec P280 Black ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

Oh and also an Antec 920 cooler which I got a couple weeks ago when it was on sale. So I'm not sure how the temps or noise levels would be while using a stock intel air cooler which I have traditionally used. Probably not that much higher I would imagine.

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Aslanna wrote: I'll probably add a GTX 670 next month (or whenever they become plentiful) and that should do it for this upgrade for the next 3-4 years.

So final build ended up being:

MB - ASUS P8Z77-V PRO LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
CPU - Intel Core i7-3770K Ivy Bridge 3.5GHz (3.9GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 77W Quad-Core Desktop Processor
RAM - G.SKILL Ripjaws Z Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2133 (PC3 17000)
HDD - SAMSUNG 830 Series MZ-7PC256D/AM 2.5" 256GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
Case - Antec P280 Black ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

Oh and also an Antec 920 cooler which I got a couple weeks ago when it was on sale. So I'm not sure how the temps or noise levels would be while using a stock intel air cooler which I have traditionally used. Probably not that much higher I would imagine.

Nice. You're set after you get the 670 depending on your monitor situation.

SSD's are finally less than a dollar/GB for the 240-256 GB models. Starting to see faster drops in prices (finally) so I'll be picking up one of those as well sometime soon. I'm still debating on whether I need to do a full PC upgrade. I'm really happy with the GTX 670 and migh just pop in a ~250GB SSD and also keep my 128 GB SSD as well in there for games, etc. then decommission all other spinning HDs except for the four 2TB drives in my SATA raid tower. If the 128 GB SSDs ever get around 50.00, I'm thinking of using them kinda like peeps used to use Zip Drives back in the day and buy a case that has an external hot swap SSD port on top. True Crypting 128GB doesn't take long at all. It would work well for image and comic collections, music, etc. A little small for movies. I really hate spinning drives.

Grats on the new system and the initial heads up on the 670!
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

What was the total cost to upgrade?
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Well some things I didn't have to upgrade such as memory and case.. However with prices:

MB - ASUS P8Z77-V PRO LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard - $200
RAM - G.SKILL Ripjaws Z Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2133 (PC3 17000) - $100 (Got combo deal with MB for $300)
CPU - Intel Core i7-3770K Ivy Bridge 3.5GHz (3.9GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 77W Quad-Core Desktop Processor - $350
HDD - SAMSUNG 830 Series MZ-7PC256D/AM 2.5" 256GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) - $300 (purchased 2 months ago)
Case - Antec P280 Black ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - $120

So... $1,070. And the Antec 920 was $80. Oh and I also had a 1000W power supply I picked up at a Black Friday NewEgg deal two years ago for $100. Weird.. It seems every time I get a new system it always ends up around $1400. However I could have easily upgraded just by purchasing a new MB and maybe an i5 and just use my existing memory and case.

--
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

I asked because I just had a friend text me a new PC he ordered. Mine is almost 2yrs old, so I' completely out of the loop on tech and pricing once again. Anyway, here was his text:
Mid-level Alienware system en route. X51, i7 ivy bridge, 8GB, nVidia GTX 555, 1TB 7.2k SATA. Up to 2weeks before it's at my door, delivery before May 30

$1169 after tax, and will get about $60 in dell credit after arrival

He has a monitor, speakers, keyboard and mouse. I'm not sure if he looked into building his own. This will be his first prebuilt system though. Much like my last PC purchase, he just had no desire to put in the time/effort. He told me on the phone yesterday that something got upgraded for free and delivery was extended by a day but I forgot what it was. I sent him what you got for your price too. Thanks for sharing the info!
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Fairweather Pure wrote:I asked because I just had a friend text me a new PC he ordered. Mine is almost 2yrs old, so I' completely out of the loop on tech and pricing once again. Anyway, here was his text:
Mid-level Alienware system en route. X51, i7 ivy bridge, 8GB, nVidia GTX 555, 1TB 7.2k SATA. Up to 2weeks before it's at my door, delivery before May 30

$1169 after tax, and will get about $60 in dell credit after arrival

He has a monitor, speakers, keyboard and mouse. I'm not sure if he looked into building his own. This will be his first prebuilt system though. Much like my last PC purchase, he just had no desire to put in the time/effort. He told me on the phone yesterday that something got upgraded for free and delivery was extended by a day but I forgot what it was. I sent him what you got for your price too. Thanks for sharing the info!
X51 Video Review

Too small of a case for me! Plus it doesn't look all that upgradable for like sticking in a new video card especially with the 330W power supply. It also seems a bit pricy really for $1169 and what you get but that's just my opinion.

As far as time and effort goes this one was pretty quick and painless really.

--
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

HDD - SAMSUNG 830 Series MZ-7PC256D/AM 2.5" 256GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) - $300 (purchased 2 months ago)
On sale this weekend at NewEgg. $250 with promo code (EMCNEHE29) which seems like a good deal.

--
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Aslanna wrote:
On sale this weekend at NewEgg. $250 with promo code (EMCNEHE29) which seems like a good deal.
On sale for $220!(with promo code). It's not the D model so doesn't come with the mounting hardware and a copy of Norton Ghost but who really needs that. I'm almost tempted to pick up another to use for applications. Cheap!

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Aslanna wrote:
Aslanna wrote:
On sale for $220!(with promo code). It's not the D model so doesn't come with the mounting hardware and a copy of Norton Ghost but who really needs that. I'm almost tempted to pick up another to use for applications. Cheap!
What promo code? the previous one doesn't work!
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

SAMSUNG 830 Series MZ-7PC256B/WW 2.5 Inch 256GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
$219.99
With Promo Code: EMCYTZT1682
Free Shipping!

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

That one worked. Bought it. Don't really "need" it but my SSD is first gen so this will be quite a bit faster and larger capacity. Debating on whether to clone over my OS partition or start fresh. I have so much crap on my PC over the years from upgrading older versions of windows it's probably time to take the time for fresh install and the shitload of additional app installs that goes with it...ug.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

All SSDs are fairly speedy so not sure you'll notice a dramatic improvement in speed but extra capacity never hurts. I didn't really need another either but ended up ordering as well. The price just seemed too tempting. I'll use it for applications and such so it should be roomy for awhile.

--
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Aslanna wrote:Case - Antec P280 Black ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - $120
On sale now too!
Antec P280 Black ATX Mid Tower Computer Case $139.99
Your Price: $109.99
With Promo Code
EMCNEGJ32
$89.99 After $20.00 MIR
I haven't really spent a lot of time with it since putting everything together but I'm fairly happy with the case at this point. It does what it's supposed to. Other than the front door feels a bit flimsy compared to the P18x models. And the top fans seem to have a slight rattle when turned to the high position. I use low and it seems to keep things just as cool.

Also if you're wanting to stick a large radiator along with two fans to the top area it probably wont fit.

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

It was rumored that the updated MacBook would be receiving Samsung’s 830 series SSD. The report from AnandTech seems to be consistent as they narrowed down the choices to the 830 series as the most likely scenario noting the review unit appears to be approaching a read speed of 500 MB/s with a write speed of roughly 400 MB/s
Nice. I haven't used my Samsung 830 yet but it's nice to know Apple thought it worthy of their new Retina MacBooks.
masteen
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by masteen »

I recently added another Crucial SSD, this time a 128GB C4. I moved my steam games and swtor folder, and I'm not sure if it's the extra space on the OS drive or if the C4 is just that much faster, but my game load times do seem smaller.

Thinking about adding THIS to bulk up my storage space for less demanding things like videos and such. It's only 3.0GB/s SATA, but both of my 6.0 ports are full, so not an issue for me. I am definitely buying at least one to replace my current laptop drive.
"There is at least as much need to curb the cruel greed and arrogance of part of the world of capital, to curb the cruel greed and violence of part of the world of labor, as to check a cruel and unhealthy militarism in international relationships." -Theodore Roosevelt
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Aslanna wrote:
SAMSUNG 830 Series MZ-7PC256B/WW 2.5 Inch 256GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
$219.99
With Promo Code: EMCYTZT1682
Free Shipping!
That was a good deal (even though I haven't used mine yet) At least I don't have to feel bad thinking I could have waited and gotten it cheaper when I actually use it!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6820147164

It's 274.99 right now.

Seems like with HD's more than most things, it's worth it to wait for deals.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Yeah I paid ~$300 for one back in March although that came with the mounting stuff which I didn't even use. I installed the second one and moved all the applications to that. Using a HDD for stuff I download but that's fine.

I just need a GTX670 and I'm good for 3+ years. Debating on a 2GB model vs 4GB though. I know nothing now really utilizes more than 2GB but on the other hand I don't really see myself buying another card anytime soon so it's more a 'future proof' thing. Then again I don't really game on a PC so... Might be a moot point!

--
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

$189.99
With Promo Code: EMCYTZT1815
$190! Those things (SSDs) definitely been going doing the past few months.

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Aslanna wrote:
$189.99
With Promo Code: EMCYTZT1815
$190! Those things (SSDs) definitely been going doing the past few months.
Saw that. Will wait for the 512GB SSD drives to come down in price now.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

$159.99
With Promo Code: EMCYTZT2359
Free Shipping!
$160! 24 hours only so be quick if you want one. A lot cheaper than they were 6-7 months ago. The 512GB ones are still too pricey though.
Last edited by Aslanna on October 15, 2012, 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Aslanna wrote:SAMSUNG 830 Series MZ-7PC256B/WW 2.5 In ... Shipping!

$160! 24 hours only so be quick if you want one. A lot cheaper than they were 6-7 months ago. The 512GB ones are still too pricey though.
I still have the one I got for 219 still in its box! I'll be using it for a fresh Windows 8 install the end of this month.

Order it fast or it might drop again in price!