Moderators: Abelard, Drolgin Steingrinder

Kwonryu DragonFist
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Re: The Avengers

Post by Kwonryu DragonFist »

LOL @ Loki dying...

Haven't you seen Loki in the comics?

Even if Loki should get a fatal wound like let's say crushed by Hulk or similar, he'd just tell his daughter Hela to release him again back to the land of the living.

Granted, he hasn't gotten his daughter Hela yet in the movie, but in the comics. :D

No idea who rules the dead in the movies, maybe they changed it to a relative of Odin or similar.
Thanks to Thess
---xx0O0xx---
The best site known to man!
--++http://kwonryu.mybrute.com++--
Siji
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: mAcK 624
PSN ID: mAcK_624
Wii Friend Code: 7304853446448491

Post by Siji »

Kwonryu DragonFist wrote:LOL @ Loki dying...

No, I honestly don't have time for comics. Not in any way a put down to comic readers or comics as a medium, I just don't have the time.

I do have several thousand dollars worth of comics I need to eBay at some point..
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Siji wrote:
Kwonryu DragonFist wrote:LOL @ Loki dying...

No, I honestly don't have time for comics. Not in any way a put down to comic readers or comics as a medium, I just don't have the time.

I do have several thousand dollars worth of comics I need to eBay at some point..

You would if you had an iPad. Time for magazines as well on the shitter.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

can you read .cbr and .cbz files on the iPad? recent searches I've been doing has popped up various Android apps, but nothing solid on the iPad/iPod Touch.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Boogahz wrote:can you read .cbr and .cbz files on the iPad? recent searches I've been doing has popped up various Android apps, but nothing solid on the iPad/iPod Touch.
duuuuuude, iPad is the best for comic book reading:

http://www.veeshanvault.org/forums/view ... 33&t=25746
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Post by Fairweather Pure »

Currently holding an impressive 95% positive on Rotten Tomatoes, with only 2 negative reviews (of which one is an obvious troll). Every personal impression I've read has been 100% positive and extremely happy with the move. I have IMAX 3D tickets reserved for the 5th. I can't wait!
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Fairweather Pure wrote: with only 2 negative reviews (of which one is an obvious troll).
One was probably posted by Joss Whedon hater miir!

Everything's looking good. The only thing that doesn't look right is too much padding in Captain America's helmet.
Chidoro
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Chidoro »

Wife was invited to an IMAX screening in the city on the 3rd. Shame we can't make it
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Funny how all the reviews mention Joss Whedon...because he's AWESOME

Rumors are this movie might break the all time opening weekend record. It already has set opening day records in several other countries...because Joss Whedon is AWESOME What now miir? Possibly the highest grossing opening weekend ever coming up? What now?
In its overseas debut yesterday, The Avengers punched up a terrific $17.1 million from 10 countries. That gross includes $6.2 million in Australia (the second highest opening day of all time), $3.7 million in Italy, $2.9 million in France, $1.3 million in Taiwan (the highest opening day of all time), and $0.8 million in New Zealand (again, the highest opening day of all time). Lucrative markets like England, China, and Russia are still waiting to see the film.
Joss Whedon's Avengers Assemble is equal to the sum of its parts – and for once, that's no faint praise. Suit up.
Whedon and his cohorts have managed to stir all the personalities and ingredients together so that the resulting dish, however familiar, is irresistibly tasty again.
Joss Whedon's buoyant, witty and robustly entertaining superhero smash-up is escapism of a sophisticated order.
It's fun to watch Whedon pitch his heroes against each other.
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Canelek

Post by Canelek »

Whedon and that other dude did a fucking fantastic job on Cabin in the Woods.
en kærlighed småkager
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

178M already and it hasn't even opened in the U.S. yet.
• Biggest opening weekend ever in Mexico, Brazil, Argentina, Ecuador, Peru, Central America, Bolivia, Hong Kong, Taiwan, Malaysia, New Zealand, The Philippines.

• Biggest opening days in New Zealand, Taiwan, Iceland & Malaysia

• Opened #1 in every market.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

And it is still rocking great scores on Rotten Tomatoes.

97% from critics

95% from audiences

Marvel has also shared the release dates for Iron Man 3 (2013), Captain America 2 (2014), and Thor 2 (2014). It looks like they have every intention of an Avengers 2 around 2016ish. No new movie for the Hulk yet though.
Kwonryu DragonFist
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Kwonryu DragonFist »

Hulks interaction with Thor was the best :D

Also Hulks interaction with Loki
Thanks to Thess
---xx0O0xx---
The best site known to man!
--++http://kwonryu.mybrute.com++--
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

As a heads up, there are TWO post movie scenes in the credits. One is half way through the credits, and another is after the credits are over. The last scene will premiere in the US. The foreign market only had the one scene mid credits.

Stay and watch the credits!

Avengers is blowing up the WW box office and is looking at breaking some more this weekend!
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

A friend talked me into a midnight showing tonight. I'm kind of tired as hell right now, but he already bought me a ticket so I'm going no matter what. It looks like Avengers is going to get it's money's worth out of me since I am still going with the wife to IMAX 3D on Saturday as well. At least tonights viewing will be in 2D!
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Avengers was the greatest movie going experience of my life. It was better than any preview made it out to be and I enjoyed this movie more than the first time I saw Star Wars as a child of LotR as an adult. My face hurts from smiling so much. What a spectical. The movie is the perfect storm. Everything works...amazingly so. After seeing it, my mind was in nerd overdrive. My friend and I chatted like ADD school kids the entire ride home.

10/10 hands down. Surprisingly funny, endlessly entertaining, and a ludacris level of great action.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: miir1

Post by miir »

Fairweather Pure wrote:a ludacris level of great action
I've got 99 problems and I'm not dealing with any of them - Lay-Z
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

New shirt for miir!
Kluden
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kluden »

Still trying to figure out why Whedon and the production crew chose to go cheap and not film this in proper 3D and IMAX. Its all post production, like a cheap ass low budget film. I hate it when they pass off 3D and IMAX movies as such, when they aren't. Its ripping off the fans.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Kluden wrote:Still trying to figure out why Whedon and the production crew chose to go cheap and not film this in proper 3D and IMAX. Its all post production, like a cheap ass low budget film. I hate it when they pass off 3D and IMAX movies as such, when they aren't. Its ripping off the fans.
With that knowledge, you should probably watch it in 2D. I wouldn't be surprised if Whedon was forced to use 3D by the studio.
Keverian FireCry
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Keverian FireCry »

One of the most satisfying movies I've ever seen. As a Marvel fanboy I couldn't be happier. Make sure you stay through the credits, not just the initial credits, but to the very end, it's great!

[Show]
THANOS! OMG Can't wait!
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

Like it a lot. The interaction between heroes was fun throughout.
[Show]
There were cheers throughout the theater when Thanos turned around in the mid-credit extra scene. I think I was most worried about how they would work in the Hulk, and I like how they made sure to have some control by Banner. His reaction to Loki's victory speech was awesome.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

The IMAX show was really good too. I liked it just as much the second time and my wife flipped her shit just like I did the first time I saw it.

Funny side note...

After the credits at the midnight show at my local theater a dude was actually on his cell phone describing the final scene to a friend...at 3am...in a dark silent theater. He was loud as fuck too. Everyone in there wanted to murder him. The sheer audacity it takes to do something like that blows my mind.

Then, today at the IMAX sold out show, a woman brought a fucking baby into the movie. Not a kid, we're talking a 6 moths or less infant. The good thing was that IMAX is loud as fuck. The bad news is that sometimes there are quiet parts in movies and also a loud as fuck movie will have a somewhat negative effect on a baby. She was all the way on the other side of the theater and I could here him wailing at the top of his lungs. She let him cry for about 5 minutes before all her neighbors shamed her into leaving. Then, it fucking happened again about 30 minutes later. Incredible.

I swear the general public is getting more stupid and rude every year.

Another side note...

IMAX has assigned seating now. I ordered my tickets awhile back and chose what looked to me like the best seats in the house. A guy sits next to me and says somewhat disgustedly "You know you have the best seat in the IMAX theater, right?" "I come here all the time and H17 is my seat. I sit there every time and you got that seat before I could for this movie". He then proceeds to tell me in great detail, using mathematics and geometry, why the seat I was sitting in was exactly perfect. It was weird as fuck. He really put a lot of thought into this. I think he might have been a little nutty. I just nodded and smiled the whole time and of course made a mental note for future reference that seat H17 is apparently the best seat at my local IMAX theater.

Gee, I wonder why I try not to go to the theater anymore?
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Fairweather Pure wrote:She let him cry for about 5 minutes before all her neighbors shamed her into leaving. Then, it fucking happened again about 30 minutes later. Incredible.

I swear the general public is getting more stupid and rude every year.

I'd like to do what Hulk did to Loki to parents of crying babies at theaters. I don't miss watching most movies in a theater at all and rarely go. The big screen is nice for action movies but it's just not worth it. The quality of home theater is outstanding these days and the general public are mostly morons. A noisy kid in an Action movies sucks but a noisy kid in a drama/suspense movie destroys it. And you're correct, it's not just kids, there are disrespectful people of all ages.

The movie was great. Hulk vs Loki is the best fight scene yet in a Super Hero movie.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

http://www.deadline.com/2012/05/avenger ... -openings/

It’s now official — Marvel’s The Avengers is a monster worldwide hit for Disney ein 2D, Digital 3D, RealD, and IMAX 3D theaters. The studio says 52% saw it in 3D, 40% in traditional 3D, 8% in IMAX, and 4% on premium large format. Exit polls showed the actioner attracted a four-quadrant audience with 50% over age 25 and 50% under 25, while 60% were male and 40% female. Also 55% were couples, 24% families, and 21% teens. Hollywood couldn’t be happier because it kicks off the all-important Summer 2012 movie season with sensational numbers. Avengers lived up to its billing as the ‘Superhero Team-Up Of A Lifetime’ by featuring all-in-one pic the iconic Marvel figures Iron Man, The Incredible Hulk, Thor, Captain America, Hawkeye, Black Widow, and Nick Fury. Disney says it’s looking at a record $69.7M grosses for Saturday after making $80.5M Friday (including $18.7M midnights) from 4,349 U.S. and Canadian locations, including 3,364 plays in 3D. Studio confirms it’s on track to shatter the domestic weekend opening record with $200.3M. (Warner Bros’ 3D Harry Potter And The Deathly Hallows Part 2 finale used to hold that record with $169M.) I believe Disney is being overly conservative and the final figure will exceed that since Avengers should make over $50M on Sunday. (And I thought SNL Kagan’s report predicting that $200M domestic debut before the weekend was nuts. Not now…) Disney will report exact international numbers later Sunday but says the worldwide total is already $640M after playing almost everywhere around the globe for the past 10 days including Russia and now China. Jeremy Renner (Hawkeye) went to the Beijing Film Festival to help open the film Saturday. One more thing to keep in mind: Avengers accumulated a massive foreign number without opening yet in the major market of Japan. Globally, IMAX Avengers grossed $21.1+M this weekend and the global IMAX cume will be approx $31.2M as of Sunday night. IMAX Avengers brought in $6.1 mil internationally (which includes an amazing first day gross in China of $1.1M) on 174 digital-only locations. In North America IMAX had one big issue: it ran out of seats to sell. Avengers grossed $15+M domestically on 275 digital-only IMAX screens, which looks to be a virtual tie with the Harry Potter finale for the highest grossing opening weekend in IMAX’s history. It reports 17 of the top 20 engagements in North America playing the film were IMAX runs, and 110 domestic IMAX locations established a new opening Saturday record. The global pressure was on because Avengers is the first Marvel Studios film from The Walt Disney Studios which took over marketing and distribution duties from Paramount. Disney CEO/President Bob Iger bought the comics entertainment company for $4 billion in 2009. Paramount still gets marquee credit and a portion of the fees. (I’m told that when Disney bought the distribution of Avengers and Iron Man 3, Paramount was paid a minimum of $115M. It gets the higher of the $115M or the combination of its 8% fee on Avengers, plus 9% on next years Iron Man 3. “Looks like there will be overages!” a Paramount exec told me excitedly Sunday. Paramount also kept the pay rights as part of the deal so Avengers will debut on Epix.) Why did this superhero actioner do so well at the box office? As one of my commenters succinctly summarizes: “Note to Hollywood and Miir: This is what happens when you let comic fans do comic book movies. Joss Whedon knocked it out of the park. The right mix of humor without camp, special effects without overusage, and action with good script. Having actors who like and/or know the characters doesn’t hurt either. Props to the casting folks.”
This movie is shattering records. Hitting those demographics at those percentages is pretty fucking amazing. I also believe it will have a nice second week hold over too. Word of mouth on this is off the charts, so it's going to have legs. The wife and I decided to go one more time because she wants to see it a second time and we want our kids to see it too. We'll wait until the 3rd or 4th week to go so the crowds will have died down.

Things to think about... Avengers had almost the exact same budget as Green Lantern. Disney bought Marvel for 4 billion and this is the first movie they've had full control over and it's going to make a billion+ just in it's theatrical run. TDK had a pretty comfortable opening record until Deathly Hallow Pt 2 came out, and it only beat TDK by 10 million. Avengers is beating Harry Potter by 31 million, and that could go up even further once the final tally is in. By the end of it's run, Avengers will have made more money than most of the previous Marvel films cumulative BO totals combined. Insanely good investment on Disney's part.

It now maintains a 94% critic rating and 96% audience rating on Rotten Tomatoes.
Zamtuk
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zamtuk »

Seeing this movie in 3D never even entered my consideration. Why anyone would pay extra to see post production 3D for ANY movie is well beyond my comprehension.

Having said that, this movie is great. Hulk completely dominated the end of the movie. Between his interaction with Loki and that bitch slap at the end, he was tits.
Fuck Michigan!
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

· Biggest domestic opening weekend of all time.

· Fastest film to reach $200M (3 days).

· Highest Saturday of all time: $69.7M.

· 8th biggest midnights opening.

· Biggest superhero midnights debut.

· Passed total domestic cume for Captain America and Thor.

· Passed international box office totals of Captain America ($192M), Iron Man ($266.7M), Thor ($268.3M), and Iron Man 2 ($311.5M) in 12 days of release.

· Biggest opening weekend of all time in Mexico, Brazil, Argentina, Ecuador, Central America, Peru, Bolivia, Hong Kong, Malaysia, New Zealand, Philippines.

· Biggest Marvel opening weekend in Russia (May 3): $17.9M.

· Passed the global box office totals of Captain America ($364M) and Thor ($449M) and Iron Man ($585M) and Iron Man 2 ($624M) combined. (my note: err...)

· 110 domestic IMAX locations established a new opening Saturday record.

· Biggest IMAX domestic opening weekend for a digital only release.

· Highest grossing opening weekend in IMAX’s history

· Domestic weekend estimate from all 4,349 theaters: $200.3M.

· Domestic weekend theater average: $46,063.

· International weekend estimate: $151.5M

· In 52 territories representing about 95% of the international market.

· International cume: $441.5M

· Global cume estimate: $641.8M

· Crossed the $600M global box office threshold today after just 12 days of release.

· Performance to date in key international territories: UK $48.1M, Mexico $40.2M, Australia $32.2M, Korea $31.3M, Brazil $31.0M, France $26.4M, Italy $18.8M, Germany $18.3M, Russia $17.9M, China $17.4M, Spain $14.4M, Taiwan $14.3M, Philippines $11.5M.

· IMAX global total box office: $31.2M

· Cinema Score: A+

· Rotten Tomatoes: 94% positive reviews

· Audience: 50% over 25, 50% under 25; 60% male, 40% female; 55% couples, 24% family, 21% teens.

· Viewing: 52% 3D, 40% traditional 3D, 8% IMAX, 4% premium large format.
When the numbers are finished, it should be the highest grossing Sunday as well.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Zamtuk wrote:Seeing this movie in 3D never even entered my consideration. Why anyone would pay extra to see post production 3D for ANY movie is well beyond my comprehension.
The 3D was pretty good overall. There was very little ghosting and the film is so bright and colorful that the glasses didn't mute anything too badly (unlike Harry Potter 7 part 2, which was already such a dark movie that the glasses made the whole thing almost unwatchable). I went in expecting the worse, but it was surprisingly well done in a few particular places. Also, the action was great for an IMAX experience. I saw Batman Begins there, and while great, that up close, shaky cam fight footage does an action film no justice on a screen that big. I heard all the Transformers movies suffer the same problems. Joss wisely let the camera take it all in and included some great tracking long shots so you could really see everything even in the middle of utter chaos.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

miir wrote: Never understood the cult following this guy has.
Most of what he touches turns to shit.
The financial "failures" of some of his previous movies/TV doesn't meant the shows sucked. They were awesome. Why would you not understand someone liking someone just because their movies weren't financial successes? Isn't it all about whether it's good entertainment?

The reason people are passionate about Joss Whedon's offerings is that they are good and it's frustrating that mainstream people didn't support it, or networks (like FOX) didn't support it.

So now he may have the biggest movie box office of all time. He's been Avenged!
kyoukan
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by kyoukan »

Whedon is a good choice for a movie like this because he knows how to direct action and comedy. He's also really great at marketing himself. I don't mean that in a bad way. One of his big props as a content creator is the way he interacts with his fans. He is always online or at shows asking people what they like. And I don't mean running focus groups and test screenings, but he is actually on forums asking people what they want to see and what they don't, and then he listens to them. Kevin Smith is probably the only director who interacts with his fan community more often.

It is great to see Whedon get some real financial successes under his belt because just about everything he's done has been great and he is due for some good karma.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

I agree with both of you. The question is, what does Joss do next? He is obviously going to be very popular after Avengers, so I'm curious exactly what he is thinking of doing asa follow up project. He has mentioned getting out of television before, but I think this film's success will make that a reality. I really enjoy a wide selection of directors, but most of my favorites are art house guys who do character stories and the like. Joss really scratches an itch that is hard to define for me, but whatever it is I sure do enjoy it. He was the perfect guy for this project. I hope wherever he goes next that he is given the same freedom to create his vision. That is when he truly shines.
masteen
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by masteen »

Time for a Buffy/Angel/Firefly/Dollhouse crossover movie! :lol:
"There is at least as much need to curb the cruel greed and arrogance of part of the world of capital, to curb the cruel greed and violence of part of the world of labor, as to check a cruel and unhealthy militarism in international relationships." -Theodore Roosevelt
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Here are the official weekend total along with an interesting comparison chart.

kyoukan
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by kyoukan »

Its funny watching movie studios manipulate data. Warner Bros. is blaming Buena Vista of not using midnight ticket sales for Harry Potter but using them for The Avengers. When you factor in their data, Harry Potter comes out a little bit ahead. But considering both movies launched to basically a capacity amount of screens, the results are not statistically that different. How can both movies have almost the same number of screens and a difference of nearly 40 million dollars, or 20 percent?

It's like watching politicians fight. I wonder if there is a single honest person left living.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

kyoukan wrote: How can both movies have almost the same number of screens and a difference of nearly 40 million dollars, or 20 percent?
I think it all comes down to the 3D screenings. The tickets cost a good deal more, so I believe that is the bump. There are more 3D theaters now than when Harry Potter 7 Pt 2 came out. Without Harry Potter having as many 3D sales, especially when addressing the overseas market at the time, it loses out. It's the same reason that no matter how well The Dark Knight Rises does, it will not beat Avengers because DKR is not in 3D. In order for any movie to have a shot at The Avengers opening numbers it to have 3D and be mass appeal. That's what took Avatar over Titanic in the end. So this year I think that leaves Spiderman and Hobbit as the only real contenders (and the Spiderman reception has been spotty). So, the perfect storm for beating Avengers will be a 3D movie with mass appeal and a much shorter run time than the 2:40 of Avengers. If the movie was 1:45 you could get in even more screenings, but all of those screenings would also have to sell out. Ugh, to think an executive somewhere would base a movie around this theory is disgusting...

The more interesting statistic for me is overall attendance. Simply put: What movie was the most seen in theaters? The money is too easily manipulated plus you have things like inflation and the 3D tax to fudge things up even more.

As I was following Avengers records this weekend, I found it funny that it beat every single expectation every day of the week. The people who do this for a living failed 4 days in a row, low balling their estimates to the tune of millions every single day. And yes, studio back and forth is always funny to read. It's weird seeing critics keep bringing up DC and Justice League too. The funniest thing to me is that IMAX has a sweetheart deal with WB to show Dark Shadows on it's IMAX screens. That means IMAX will have to pull Avengers and likely will lose millions to the lesser selling Dark Shadows.

I'll also say right now that I do not believe that DKR will do as well as the previous batman. TDK had Heath Ledger's death, a goddamn brilliant and pre hyped performance, the Joker (batman's biggest and most well known villain), and the dark and angst filled world may be running it's course. DKR may well be a better film than Avengers, but I don't see it being nearly as fun. I think the fun part is the reason Avengers will get repeat business and have some legs. I fully intend on seeing Batman in the theater this year, but I can wait past opening weekend.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Joss wrote an open letter to his "fans" and friends.
"YeahbuhWHUH?"

--Kitty Pryde

Dear Friends,

Well, it's been quite a weekend. Someday, long from now, I will even have an emotional reaction to it, like a person would. I can't wait! But before I become blinded by this "emotion" experience, there's a few things I'd like to say. Well, type.

People have told me that this matters, that my life is about to change. I am sure that is true. And change is good -- change is exciting. I think -- not to jinx it -- that I may finally be recognized at Comiccon. Imagine! Also, with my percentage of "the Avengers" gross, I can afford to buy... [gets call from agent. Weeps manfully. Resumes typing.] ...a fine meal. But REALLY fine, with truffles and s#!+. And I can get a studio to finance my dream project, the reboot of "Air Bud" that we all feel is so long overdue. (He could play Jai Alai! Think of the emotional ramifications of JAI ALAI!!!!)

What doesn't change is anything that matters. What doesn't change is that I've had the smartest, most loyal, most passionate, most articulate group of -- I'm not even gonna say fans. I'm going with "peeps" -- that any cult oddity such as my bad self could have dreamt of. When almost no one was watching, when people probably should have STOPPED watching, I've had three constants: my family and friends, my collaborators (often the same), and y'all. A lot of stories have come out about my "dark years", and how I'm "unrecognized"... I love these stories, because they make me seem super-important, but I have never felt the darkness (and I'm ALL about my darkness) that they described. Because I have so much. I have people, in my life, on this site, in places I've yet to discover, that always made me feel the truth of success: an artist and an audience communicating. Communicating to the point of collaborating. I've thought, "maybe I'm over; maybe I've said my piece". But never with fear. Never with rancor. Because of y'all. Because you knew me when. If you think topping a box office record compares with someone telling you your work helped them through a rough time, you're probably new here. (For the record, and despite my inhuman distance from the joy-joy of it: topping a box office record is super-dope. I'm an alien, not a robot.) So this is me, saying thank you. All of you. You've taken as much guff for loving my work as I have for over-writing it, and you deserve, in this our time of streaming into the main, to crow. To glow. To crow and go "I told you so", to those Joe Blows not in the know. (LAST time I hire Dr. Seuss to punch my posts up. Yeesh!) . Boo-yah!

-j., 5/9/12
Ransure
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Ransure »

Never saw serenity on TV, was always working, but downloaded it about a year before the movie... then started reading his stuff in Winnow's comic forum... was totally in love before Serenity the movie came out... saw it the Thursday midnight show alone cause no one I knew would go with me.

/love Joss
This 2cp has been brought to you by DOKURANGER!
Jice Virago
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
PSN ID: quyrean

Post by Jice Virago »

Its a really good movie, probably second only to Dark Knight, though the comparisons are not fair since Avengers was all action and little plot and the scope and tone of both movies is vastly different. I also do not think DKR will match it in terms of sales, but I think that will have much more to do with the fact that this is essentially the movie equivalent of a Rock and Roll Supergroup and people are going to internet hate on DKR just to be hipsters. The only reason I liked DK more is because it had more depth of plot and more cerebral (like all Nolan films).

That said Avengers was an amazing movie and benefitted enourmously from having Whedon's sense of humor injected into it. Banner/Hulk also knocked it out of the park in this movie, particular in his verbal exchanges with Stark and the Bam Bam scene with Loki. My only criticisms are very minor. I really did not care for the obvious eye candy plug of putting Black Widow/ScarJo up on the screen a bunch so the Winnows in the audience would have something to rub one out over, but I understand her appeal and trying to use the Scarlet Witch would have complicated the story telling in ways they were trying to avoid. The Marvel Misunderstanding fight was so cliche that I almost audibly groaned when it started, but it was well executed and did a pretty good job of showing how uber Asgardians are compared to everyone else. Finally, there needed to be more leadership tension between Captain America and Iron Man, instead of Ironman more or less stealing the entire show, but that has more to do with Downey being a far better actor than Evans. Like I said, all minor quips against what was otherwise a perfectly paced action movie.
War is an option whose time has passed. Peace is the only option for the future. At present we occupy a treacherous no-man's-land between peace and war, a time of growing fear that our military might has expanded beyond our capacity to control it and our political differences widened beyond our ability to bridge them. . . .

Short of changing human nature, therefore, the only way to achieve a practical, livable peace in a world of competing nations is to take the profit out of war.
--RICHARD M. NIXON, "REAL PEACE" (1983)

"Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired, represents, in the final analysis, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, who are cold and are not clothed. This world in arms is not spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children."

Dwight Eisenhower
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Mentioning that the Black Window should not be on screen with the Avengers demonstrates you're clueless about the history of the Avengers. While Black Widow was an acceptable choice (although not Scarlett as the actress), Janet van Dyne (Wasp, later Janet Pym after she married wife beater Hank Pym ) should have been the choice although I'm guessing her shrinking powers wouldn't have worked well on screen. Avengers always had weakling heroes mixed in with the rest of the supers.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

I thought it was cool that they once again went to Lou Ferrigno for part of the Hulk voice.

http://movies.yahoo.com/blogs/movie-tal ... 17172.html
"Initially for Hulk, I started using all sorts of animal vocals and tried to create this larger-than-life, territorial rage... And so the feedback coming back from Joss [Whedon] was that it was too much of a monster, too much of a creature. He really wanted to lead with the notion that this is a superhuman, but human in rage."

Boyes goes onto explain that he showed Whedon a bunch of examples that he experimented with, and the one he liked the most "turned out to be [a combination of] Mark Ruffalo, some Lou Ferrigno and a little bit of me and two people from New Zealand. So I led with that."
[Show]
I still think that the part of the movie where Banner explained that he was in control of the transformation conjured up the most comic geek giggles in the theater...aside from the "to-be-expected" Stan Lee cameo.
Jice Virago
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
PSN ID: quyrean

Post by Jice Virago »

Winnow wrote:Mentioning that the Black Window should not be on screen with the Avengers demonstrates you're clueless about the history of the Avengers. While Black Widow was an acceptable choice (although not Scarlett as the actress), Janet van Dyne (Wasp, later Janet Pym after she married wife beater Hank Pym ) should have been the choice although I'm guessing her shrinking powers wouldn't have worked well on screen. Avengers always had weakling heroes mixed in with the rest of the supers.
Scarlet Witch was one of founding members, while Widow was barely ever in the group (Maria Hill has been with the team longer) in the comics. Wasp was never an option because then you have to go into the whole Ant Man bullshit, which is pretty much retarded as anything seen in the Avenger books. Honestly, Spider Woman would have been the best option for a long time female member of the Avengers if they wanted to add in some eye candy while avoiding the wonky crap. Firestar would have been another option, though more obscure, and would have brought some different powers to the group. I just would have prefered Scarlet Witch (and Vision) because they are the only part of the classic lineup thats not in the film, but their powers and origins would have made them problematic. Anyhow, the Black Widow card was in the hand Whedon was dealt after they put ScarJo in Ironman2.
War is an option whose time has passed. Peace is the only option for the future. At present we occupy a treacherous no-man's-land between peace and war, a time of growing fear that our military might has expanded beyond our capacity to control it and our political differences widened beyond our ability to bridge them. . . .

Short of changing human nature, therefore, the only way to achieve a practical, livable peace in a world of competing nations is to take the profit out of war.
--RICHARD M. NIXON, "REAL PEACE" (1983)

"Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired, represents, in the final analysis, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, who are cold and are not clothed. This world in arms is not spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children."

Dwight Eisenhower
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Anirask
PSN ID: Anirask

Post by Animalor »

I'm glad they stayed away from Wasp and Ant man. It wouldn't have made sence to just drop them in. Everyone in this movie had gotten screen time in another flick so it all fit in quote well.

Casting Robin (Cobie Smulders) from "How I met your Mother" as Maria Hill was also a big of genious. She did a great job. Held up her part well against Sam L Jackson.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

]
Scarlet Witch was one of founding members, while Widow was barely ever in the group [/quote]

Wtf? Scarlet Witch was originally part of the Brotherhood of Evil Mutants. She wasnt' even close to being a founding member of the Avengers. Captain America came around in issue #4.

Here's the founding members:

See the Wasp? She's a founding member along with Ant-Man. Where are you getting your info from? Scarlet Witch? She rocks (well before she went wacko)
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

Holy nerdrage, it doesn't matter numbnuts. The Black Widow made perfect sense for the movie based on the comics too...the SHIELD connection vs the Avengers connection.
masteen
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by masteen »

Antman and Wasp were lame. Scarlet Witch would have been awesome, but the next Avenger is Spiderman.
"There is at least as much need to curb the cruel greed and arrogance of part of the world of capital, to curb the cruel greed and violence of part of the world of labor, as to check a cruel and unhealthy militarism in international relationships." -Theodore Roosevelt
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

masteen wrote:Antman and Wasp were lame. Scarlet Witch would have been awesome, but the next Avenger is Spiderman.
Ant-Man and Wasp would be great in an Ultimate Avengers movie with darker overtones.

Scarlet Witch would be a good choice. Her relationship with Vision made for interesting reading. The Vision was my favorite Avenger.

The Beast actually had a long term stay with the Avengers in the 70's and 80's. I could see Joss Whedon having Frasier suit up for a cameo in the next movie.

It would be cool to see Vision, Scarlet Witch and Beast in future Avengers movies. Wonderman had a big part in the Avengers as well but screw him. Never liked his character.

Here's a list of early Avenger rosters:
The Avengers #2 (Nov. 1963) - The Hulk leaves the team after realizing the other Avengers don't trust him.
The Avengers #4 (Mar. 1964) - Captain America joins The Avengers!
The Avengers #16 (May 1965) - The first major change in lineup as founding members Thor, Iron Man, Giant Man and The Wasp all leave, while Hawkeye, Quicksilver and The Scarlet Witch are recruited as replacements.
The Avengers #28 (May 1966) - Hank Pym returns as Goliath and The Wasp also rejoins. In this issue the duo also reveal their secret identities to the rest of the team.
Avengers Annual #1 (Sep. 1967) - Original members Iron Man and Thor return as reserve members.
The Avengers #45 (Oct. 1967) - Hercules is made an official member after fighting alongside The Avengers against The Mandarin.
The Avengers #47 (Dec. 1967) – Captain America quits to create a life for Steve Rogers.
The Avengers #49 (Feb. 1968) – Quicksilver and The Scarlet Witch rejoin Magneto's Brotherhood of Evil Mutants.
The Avengers #52 (May 1968) - The Black Panther (as The Panther) rescues The Avengers from death at the hands of The Grim Reaper and joins the team.
The Avengers #58 (Nov. 1968) - The Vision proves his worth by battling Captain America, Iron Man and Thor. Also having previously rescued the other Avengers from Ultron, he is given membership.
Here's a great breakdown of Avengers through the years:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Avengers_members
kyoukan
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by kyoukan »

who cares, you fucking spaz? go post on alt.virgin-no-woman-will-touch-me-so-I-whack-off-to-kiddie-porn
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

kyoukan wrote:who cares, you fucking spaz? go post on alt.virgin-no-woman-will-touch-me-so-I-whack-off-to-kiddie-porn
You care enough to keep stalking me and still can't come up with anything original. Out of money again?
Drolgin Steingrinder
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
PSN ID: Drolgin

Post by Drolgin Steingrinder »

Winnow wrote:
Wtf? Scarlet Witch was originally part of the Brotherhood of Evil Mutants. She wasnt' even close to being a founding member of the Avengers. Captain America came around in issue #4.
Scarlet Witch was in Avengers before the Brotherhood, in fact.
IT'S HARD TO PUT YOUR FINGER ON IT; SOMETHING IS WRONG
I'M LIKE THE UNCLE WHO HUGGED YOU A LITTLE TOO LONG
Lynks
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: launchpad1979

Post by Lynks »