Movie, DVD, and TV reviews and discussion

Moderators: Abelard, Drolgin Steingrinder

Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Archer on FX

Post by Fairweather Pure »

Well, I have a new favorite animated comedy. I caught both encore episodes last night, and I laughed my ass off during the entire hour. The writing is A+ and super quotable. The jokes are layered and sometimes it takes you a second to get the joke. Meanwhile the show is already on the next one.

In short, it's about a secret agency company and the people who work there. However, instead of focusing on international intrigue, the show focuses on the small office environment of the agency itself. Archer ( H. Jon Benjamin!!) is the main character and he is the "007" of the show. His mother (the actress who played the mother from Arrested Development) runs the agency and hates her son. Archer has a weird oedipal complex with his mother. The rest of the cast is equally fantastic. You have the fat HR lesbian, the girl who no one remembers her name, and the accountant who is dating the female secret agent who happens to be Archers ex and is still strongly attracted to him. So far, the first 2 episodes have really left me wanting more.

I even DLed the 2 episodes from iTunes to watch again at work today, which is a first for me.

I highly recommend this show!
Xatrei
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Re: Archer on FX

Post by Xatrei »

I'll second Fair's endorsement.

The ads for the show that FX has been airing for the last couple of months intrigued me enough to add a season pass on the Tivo for this. I watched both episodes and enjoyed them. I'm a fan of Aisha Tyler, and think she was pretty great in both episodes. Chris Parnell also contributes his voice to the show, and he was pretty funny. I'm definitely going to keep watching this show.
"When I was a kid, my father told me, 'Never hit anyone in anger, unless you're absolutely sure you can get away with it.'" - Russel Ziskey
Leonaerd
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Leonaerd »

Archer is now on Hulu (and FX on demand). If you haven't seen the show yet, go watch. Really.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

The ratings started very high but had significant drop off throughout the series. Thankfully, the show was just picked up for a second season!

Yay!
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Canelek

Post by Canelek »

I think the show gets better every episode.

Season 3 is going now. There was a 3 part "mini-series" in September, but that was not officially S3 (but was fucking great!).
en kærlighed småkager
Tyek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Tyekk
PSN ID: Tyek

Post by Tyek »

LANNNNNNNAAAAAAA

Danger Zooooonnnne!
When I was younger, I used to think that the world was doing it to me and that the world owes me some thing…When you're a teeny bopper, that's what you think. I'm 40 now, I don't think that anymore, because I found out it doesn't f--king work. One has to go through that. For the people who even bother to go through that, most assholes just accept what it is anyway and get on with it." - John Lennon
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

I think I only made it halfway through Season 2. For some reason I just stopped watching. Maybe I'll get back to it later.

I do use the 'Danger Zone' thing sometimes at work! "Call Kenny Loggins.. cuz you're in the Danger Zone"
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Xatrei
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Xatrei »

I thought the second half of season 2 had some of the better episodes of the season. I especially liked the cancer arc and the Barry storyline late in the season. The 3 episode mini-series this past fall was also very good.

The good thing about Archer is that at 20 minutes a pop, it's easy to catch up.
"When I was a kid, my father told me, 'Never hit anyone in anger, unless you're absolutely sure you can get away with it.'" - Russel Ziskey
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: mp72

Post by Sylvus »

I thought the last episode with the Mounties was hilarious. I love Babou!
"It's like these guys take pride in being ignorant." - Barack Obama

Go Blue!
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Xatrei wrote:I thought the second half of season 2 had some of the better episodes of the season. I especially liked the cancer arc
I just finished watching S02E8 and S02E9 (Cancer episodes)...funny shit! Best episodes so far.

rampage!
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

This entire season has been fantastic. The entire cast of characters is amazing.