Anyone still here?... anonymous torrent/newsgroup access?

Support, Discussion, Reviews
Ransure
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Anyone still here?... anonymous torrent/newsgroup access?

Post by Ransure »

So I have been thinking about ways to increase my security for downloading large quantities of items... almost bought into hide my ass VPN service the other day for $6.67/mo for VPN access, but have since begun considering a newsgroup account with one of the majors... would primarily be used for TV and some older movies (dont have a problem paying amazon for movie rentals).

What are your recommendations?... is VPN on torrent with a private tracker a good level of good enough security? or would VPN to a newsgroup be the ultimate... I know that if someone wants to get my info, Im screwed, but Id rather not make it easy.

Thanks as always VV :)
This 2cp has been brought to you by DOKURANGER!
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Re: Anyone still here?... anonymous torrent/newsgroup access?

Post by Winnow »

Recommendation is the same it's been for the past 5-6 years.

Giganews with Newsleecher (Newsleecher's super search being the key). I get a steady 50Mbps download and use their SSL encryption option.

http://www.newsleecher.com/

http://www.giganews.com/

Newsleecher is constantly is updated with new features and improvements:

http://www.newsleecher.com/?id=versionhistory
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: miir1

Post by miir »

:vv_yeahthat:

Also, I can't think of any reason to use VPN if you are using a SSL NNTP connection.

Giganews is good but I switched last year to usenetserver.com which is a bit cheaper. I share with a co-worker and it works out to about $6/month. Both have 3+ year binary retention and I've noticed no difference in speed or reliability.
I've got 99 problems and I'm not dealing with any of them - Lay-Z
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Giganews is overpriced.
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

I don't have an issue with paying for unlimited data using Giganews but if you're price conscious, try another service. If any problems, use Giganews as it's been flawless for years.

Also, giganews (probably others) lets you renew instantly if you are using a less than unlimited plan, so if you happen to go over you're limit, you're not charged anything but have the option to start your next month anytime instead of waiting until the 30 day cycle to end. You can also switch back and forth between unlimited and a lessor/inferior/weaksauce plan as much as you want...daily if it makes you horny to do that or something.

Whatever you do, don't cheap out on Newsleecher/Supersearch. Pay your 2.99/month for it and make life way easier. If you can't afford that, you should probably be waiting in queues for the freebie rapidshare file, using torrents and overworkiong your HD and upload bandwidth, or maybe just give up on piracy and pick up gardening as a hobby.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Gardening can be very relaxing.

My NL/SS expired back in June or something and it's still working. I'm not sure why. I know someone else with the same thing. I'll renew once it actually stops working. Call me cheap but I really haven't used it that much lately.

I used to use APN but for whatever reason a certain networks shows (three letters) always (always!) came back incomplete and even with the pars I was always ~5 blocks short and I just got tired of it. My assumption is they were having them nuked for DMCA violations or something but that's just a guess. I switched to AstraWeb and after two months no complaints so far. $11 for unlmited with 20 connections, SSL and 1229 days retention. APN was $15 so I'm actually saving $4 a month.

--
Xatrei
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Xatrei »

I still use giganews. I don't mind paying their rates for the service I get, and I also use their VyprVPN and Dumptruck storage services that with my diamond package. Their Mimo news reader seems decent, but I haven't really used it more than just to look at it a bit. As for Newsleecher, I rarely use NL/SS anymore, and I probably won't renew it. Lately I use binsearch.info and an nzb grabber. The nzb grabber I use, SABnzbd runs on my media server (linux based, but SABnzbd is available for Windows, too), and has a web-based interface. I drop nzb files into a directory that the grabber monitors and it takes it from there. It can also monitor rss feeds from nzb search engines, but I haven't messed around with that.
"When I was a kid, my father told me, 'Never hit anyone in anger, unless you're absolutely sure you can get away with it.'" - Russel Ziskey
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Post by Fairweather Pure »

I still use the Giganews and Newsleecher combo. No issues to speak of. Works great and is cheap.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Aslanna wrote: My NL/SS expired back in June or something and it's still working. I'm not sure why. I know someone else with the same thing. I'll renew once it actually stops working. Call me cheap but I really haven't used it that much lately.
Is it actually working or just showing results without showing the newsgroup the files are located in and letting you download them? I think you can always do that.

The latest update beta release for Newsleecher is very nice. Supersearch watchdog mode, folder system, etc are nice additions. Even the latest beta is rock solid and the developer continues to revise the code making it faster. For those that pay the 2.99/,month for supersearch with Newsleecher, I recommend using the latest beta release.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Winnow wrote:Is it actually working or just showing results without showing the newsgroup the files are located in and letting you download them? I think you can always do that.
No. It's actually working. SS and all. For whatever reason it seems to think it's still licensed even though I am past the expiration date. I am using v5 beta 5. Good enough for me.

--
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Post by Funkmasterr »

Figured this was as good a place as any to mention this.

I've been buying most of my stuff from iTunes lately but am a bit short on cash and went to grab something off demonoid. Got a virus in the time it took me to find what I was looking for an start downloading it.

Not a huge deal, I'll have it's root-kitting ass off my computer in no time, but I've never had this problem with demonoid until they went to the new site version with the shitter obtrusive ads. Looks like I won't be bothering with demonoid anymore.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Post by Funkmasterr »

After looking at the combofix logs, looks like on of the ads must have used Java and it got in that way. At any rate, f demonoid. Guess I'm sticking to the legal route.
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Canelek

Post by Canelek »

Haven't had issue with demonoid. That is odd.
en kærlighed småkager
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

No issues here.

Use Firefox

use NoScript and Adblock Plus Add-Ons
Funkmasterr wrote:Guess I'm sticking to the legal route.
legal route is a cop out admitting the internet has defeated you!