Poll: Obama rating slips

What do you think about the world?
Metanis
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Re: Poll: Obama rating slips

Post by Metanis »

Nick wrote:It's like watching that overly drunk guy at a party that's shit his pants and doesn't realise why everyone is laughing at him. Then he gets angry that everyone is laughing at him. Then he starts shouting.
Alcohol is bad for those who lack self-control. You should switch to more mellow drugs.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

How do beer glasses affect the whole beer-drinking experience? Some beginner beer enthusiasts say that glassware is just a marketing ploy, but the adept beer drinker knows better. Whether from a bottle or straight out of the beer taps, glassware is an important aspect of the beer drinking experience. For example, beer steins differ from a flute glass in forming a head as the beer is poured in, which makes a big difference in appearance and taste. A darker beer should have a wider brim in order to allow for more release of the volatiles found in the brew, thus enhancing the strong flavor and smell. A bottled beer is pasteurized and needs a taller, thinner pilsner glass for color and pourability. There are a lot of little different things like that that can make a big difference in your drinking experience. Now of course there's a big marketing presence in all these different varieties of beer glasses, but a true beer drinker knows that as the beer is poured in, something else is going on besides the nice looking logo on the side of the glass. The hue of the beer changes, the head forms at the top, and the anticipation of that first cool drink is more profound and complete. Just like any other pleasurable aspect of life, there's a psychology involved here. Flavor, texture, aroma; these are the things that make up the drinking experience. If you're drinking to relax and enjoy yourself, why not do all the things you can to enhance the experience. One of the most important aspects of beer glasses is how the shape affects the formation of the head. This is important because the head acts as a sort of trap for the volatiles in the beer. What's volatile in a beer? Compounds such as hop oils, a variety of yeast byproducts such as spices or alcohol are what make up a beer's aroma and taste. Earlier beer that man drank was darker, stouter, and a lot grainier too, mainly because of the lack of filtration. As glass became more and more popular, so did lighter colored beers and better filtration processes. With so many different kinds of beers, a variety of beer glasses are needed to produce the maximum desired effect of the beer drinking experience. Many people have said that the 16-ounce pint glass is overall the most versatile glass for the widest range of beers. Many people place the importance of a glass because of the shape as they drink. A tall pilsner glass can be tipped up for quick drinking, while the tall narrow glass keeps the entire drink cold the whole time. So which is the correct glass to use with which beer? The answers are vast and varied. Europeans may do it completely different than anyone else in the world, but what it really comes down to is your own personal preference. Go with some recommendations and then branch out and try some on your own. You may be surprised at the experience and find your own preferences to be totally unique to yourself.
masteen
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by masteen »

Beer glasses make fat chicks thinner, ugly chicks prettier, annoying chicks more interesting, and give every man the confidence of Heracles. It's one of the cornerstones of Western civilization!
"There is at least as much need to curb the cruel greed and arrogance of part of the world of capital, to curb the cruel greed and violence of part of the world of labor, as to check a cruel and unhealthy militarism in international relationships." -Theodore Roosevelt
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Obama is out of control!
Kaldaur
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Kaldaur

Post by Kaldaur »

Bush era tax cuts that Obama left in? Lowest tax rate since the 50's? Massive defense spending? Hello idiotic country.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: miir1

Post by miir »

But trickle down economics works!
I've got 99 problems and I'm not dealing with any of them - Lay-Z
Kilmoll the Sexy
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: bunkeru2k

Post by Kilmoll the Sexy »

There is no chance for trickle down or anything else to work. If they want to see the economy start up and start spinning, get the gas prices back down to $1.50. The price of just going to work for the middle class makes their disposable income pathetically small.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

They should retroactively rescind tax cuts for corporations who are shipping jobs out of the country... :lol:
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Post by Fairweather Pure »

Winnow wrote:Image
Carter REDEEMED!
Kilmoll the Sexy
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

miir wrote:They should retroactively rescind tax cuts for corporations who are shipping jobs out of the country... :lol:

I feel dirty agreeing with you, but I absolutely would. I would also tax the dogshit out of any company that moves out of the country and and tries to sell services or goods here.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

Yea but we both know neither is going to happen.
Kilmoll the Sexy
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

I can run for President in 2012.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

Kilmoll the Sexy wrote:I can run for President in 2012.
You got my vote bro! :lol:
Aabidano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aabidano »

Had he been willing to stand up and rally the troops in the healthcare debacle and multiple instances of budget idiocy, etc.. that the RNC has dug in their heels and held the country hostage over I'd have voted for him in 2012.

As it is he and his party have wasted a couple years "wrestling with pigs". Arguing or dealing with fanatics is a waste of time. That's making the very large assumption that the two sides differ in any material way, outside of how they present themselves in soundbites.

As it is I'll in all likelihood vote for him in 2012. Well... against the colossal wall of stupid that the RNC has been building since ~2002 anyway. I don't expect the DNC or "liberal" (snicker) press to point it out at election time.
"Life is what happens while you're making plans for later."
Xatrei
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Xatrei »

My vote for Obama was, and will be against the Republicans. As displeased as I am with Obama, he's better than the alternative. That's what's wrong with our system in a nutshell. At every level of elected office, we are more often than not forced to choose the "less shitty" candidate rather than choosing the best possible person to do the job.
"When I was a kid, my father told me, 'Never hit anyone in anger, unless you're absolutely sure you can get away with it.'" - Russel Ziskey
Xyun
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Xyun »

Obama seemed different. Turns out, he's spineless. I'm tempted to not vote this election or maybe vote for the greater of two evils. Violence is waiting at some point along this current path, maybe we should speed up towards it. Americans today are woefully apathetic and complacent. We need a catalyst towards real change.
I tell it like a true mackadelic.
Founder of Ixtlan - the SCUM of Veeshan.
Kaldaur
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Kaldaur

Post by Kaldaur »

I, too, have been thoroughly disgusted with Obama during the debt ceiling farce.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

At this point we need someone that can make decisions, even if some of them are wrong. We need someone that would be happy with just a four year term, knowing their choices would fail to re-elect them but would stop this wishy washy crap going on in our government. I'd consider a third party candidate but I think that would be even worse for getting things done as neither party would hold allegiance to that President.

Obama is a joke. Always has been. Bought his way in Illinois and then a few Oprah tears later he was President. I hope you people that "vote for change" realize that's not always a good idea unless that person you're voting for is capable of being president. Problem is, even if McCain was president, you people would have voted for Obama this next term thinking he was all that.

Raise taxes. It's a must. Someone needs to "take care" of Grover Norquist.
At the heart of the contentious talks between the White House and congressional Republicans on whether to raise the debt ceiling is a simple, one-sentence document many conservative lawmakers have signed, pledging not to increase taxes.

Ever.

"I _____ pledge to the taxpayers of the state of _____ and all the people of this state, that I will oppose and vote against all efforts to increase taxes," reads the version of the pledge signed by Republican lawmakers.

The driving force behind that pledge -- and perhaps the most powerful man in Washington that you've never heard about -- is a bearded, unassuming conservative activist who has never been elected to a public office.

Grover Norquist, president and founder of Americans for Tax Reform, is both respected and feared in the inner circles of Washington.

He has worked under Ronald Reagan, is close friends with Karl Rove and has been connected to scandals involving onetime Christian Coalition chief Ralph Reed and convicted lobbyist Jack Abramoff.

His group, funded through both individual donations and major corporate dollars, has the grass-roots power -- and has used it -- to raise money, run TV ads and campaign against politicians who violate that pledge. He proudly points to trophies of those who have been brought down, defeated in subsequent elections after voting to raise taxes.

"These are people who voted for tax increases," he said, pointing to a poster hanging in his office, "and were defeated."

A Nixon volunteer

Norquist, 54, got his start in politics early. The son of a Polaroid executive, he grew up in wealthy Weston, Massachusetts, and, at 12, hopped on a train and headed to nearby Boston to volunteer for Richard Nixon in 1968. And, as a player in Republican circles for 25 years, he has held on to his conservative values ever since.

He unapologetically believes in small government, lower taxes and limited government services.

In a black binder are the signed pledges from most of the Republican presidential candidates -- Mitt Romney, Herman Cain, Michele Bachmann, to name a few -- to not raise taxes.

Norquist also has secured the signatures of most congressional Republicans. It is those signatures, he contends, that hold the lawmakers accountable to voters.

"Nobody promises me anything," Norquist told CNN's Wolf Blitzer. "They promise, when they get elected, to the people in their state, in their congressional district, 'I'm not going to raise your taxes.' "

Names on file

He started the pledge campaign in 1985 and now has hundreds of names. He has the originals safely stored away, on file in perpetuity, just in case.

"We keep the originals in a vault that can't be burned, and we have multiple copies that can't be lost. So their pledges will be there forever," Norquist said.

This father of two young toddlers is a study in contrasts. He loves Janis Joplin, has figures from the adult animation series "South Park" on his shelves and dabbles in improv comedy.

But Norquist also has the ear of powerful Republican leaders, many who won't act on sensitive budget issues unless he has signed off.

In a recent comment at the Aspen Ideas Festival in Colorado, former President Bill Clinton made a veiled accusation against the power Norquist wields.

"He was quoted in the paper the other day saying he gave Republican senators permission ... on getting rid of the ethanol subsidies. I thought, 'My God, what has this country come to when one person has to give you permission to do what's best for the country.' It was chilling."

Norquist countered that Clinton took the quote out of context, trying to confuse the subject. He said his organization issued a statement reiterating its position that there should be no net increase in taxes associated with repealing ethanol subsidies.

"We wrote a letter saying, 'No, it's not, it's not a tax increase.' "

Close contact with the party

Every Wednesday morning Norquist convenes a meeting of prominent Republicans, political activists and GOP operatives to plan strategies.

If someone thinks about breaking the pledge, he likes to remind them of President George H.W. Bush who made the famous pledge, "Read my lips. No new taxes."

Bush broke that promise two years later, and lost the election to Clinton.

"The American people were very angry. He had a successful presidency, except for the tax increase," Norquist recalled.

Norquist is using his leverage and clout in the ongoing debt ceiling negotiations. He is pressuring Republicans to hold firm and oppose tax hikes as part of a compromise.

But his position, power and ego have angered some on the other side of the political aisle.

Michael Ettlinger, vice president for economic policy at the liberal Center for American Progress, said that Norquist's arm-twisting and hard-line stance make it more difficult for congressional leaders to legislate.

"Grover Norquist is a big problem," Ettlinger said, "but I think the people whose feet he's holding to the fire are getting tired of it."

Ettlinger contended many Republican lawmakers would be more willing to compromise, if not for Norquist's threats of retribution if they stray from the pledge.

"We're getting to the point where we need serious people to sit down and make serious decisions, and drawing really hard lines in the sand the way Grover does is hurting the country," Ettlinger said, "and I think people who are signing that pledge are starting to recognize that and realize that that kind of hard line just is not in the best interest of the country."
masteen
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by masteen »

Norquist is a zealot, and has no place in politics. It's too bad the companies that fund his dumb ass don't seem to understand the damage he's done to the Republican party in particular or American politics in general.
"There is at least as much need to curb the cruel greed and arrogance of part of the world of capital, to curb the cruel greed and violence of part of the world of labor, as to check a cruel and unhealthy militarism in international relationships." -Theodore Roosevelt
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

DJIA crashed another 630+ points.

We're heading for zero growth with Obama!
masteen
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by masteen »

Yes, clearly it's Obama's fault that Grover's zombie army refuses to even consider raising taxes. :roll:
Leonaerd
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Leonaerd »

"Growth," which is required by stockholders to be infinite and sustainable, is centered around the utilization of a -finite- resource: oil.

:shock:
Avestan
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Avestan »

I expect him to get it done despite there being an army against him. That is what great leaders do.

Posers blame others.
masteen
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by masteen »

We elected Obama because he could string two sentences together without tripping himself up and his ability to NOT pick an empty-headed fundy as a running mate. Not sure where you got the idea he was a great leader.
Aabidano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aabidano »

The script they gave Palin to read cost them the last election, she won't recover from it. The tea party, religious right and 'tards like Rick Perry will cost them the next.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Aabidano wrote:The script they gave Palin to read cost them the last election, she won't recover from it. The tea party, religious right and 'tards like Rick Perry will cost them the next.
Only if the sane people actually go out and vote. There is a lot of crazy in this country so I personally don't think someone like Palin or Bachmann winning would be that far fetched.
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

I want Perry out of Texas, but I don't want him in the oval office at all!
Aabidano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aabidano »

The middle largely put Obama in office, the RNC is still only singing to the same audience that didn't win them anything in 2008.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Aabidano wrote:The middle largely put Obama in office, the RNC is still only singing to the same audience that didn't win them anything in 2008.
Yeah, but this time the voters probably realize that gridlock from a weak/indecisive president is not better than someone that can make decisions even if they aren't exactly what they agree with.

Obama's cabinet blows.
Avestan
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Avestan »

Also worth noticing that that "middle" you talk about is now solidly against Obama in the polls. Things will change when they are comparing him to another person instead of an idea - but he no longer holds the mantle of champion to the middle.

A year ago, I thought there was no chance he would not get re-elected. Today, I believe he loses unless the economy turns around.
Aabidano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aabidano »

I agree to an extent, as in 2008 it's the RNC's election to lose, not the situation I'd have expected this time last year.

That said, beyond the tea partyers who seem to scare more people than they attract the RNC doesn't appear to be willing to run a candidate with any chance of winning.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

The DJIA shot of 600 points from -200 to +400 in less than an hour. That's a hearty "fuck you" to anyone that sold.

That's an insane swing in the market in an hour.
Avestan
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Avestan »

Gold keeps going up :)
masteen
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by masteen »

Winnow wrote:The DJIA shot of 600 points from -200 to +400 in less than an hour. That's a hearty "fuck you" to anyone that sold.

If I had any money, I'd bet a lot of the selling was assholes who were leveraged to the hilt and got eaten by margin calls.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

masteen wrote:
Winnow wrote:The DJIA shot of 600 points from -200 to +400 in less than an hour. That's a hearty "fuck you" to anyone that sold.

If I had any money, I'd bet a lot of the selling was assholes who were leveraged to the hilt and got eaten by margin calls.
The problem with the stock market is that the big hedge funds can take down any small or mid cap stock they want. Any time they want. Almost nothing is based on fundamentals anymore. P/E ratios are insanely low on some stocks. If someone like Goldman Sachs is short on a stock, you may as well forget about that stock. It's not going up until they decide to take it up. I see it happen time and time again. There are major issues with the stock market. A company can have record earnings and plummet the next day...not due to fundamentals or the stock being too high P/E, but simply due to a hedge fund short attack. The only due diligence you need to do these days is determine who's shorting the stock.

Until naked shorting is eliminated, the stock market for small/mid caps is a joke. For those that don't know what Naked shorting is, it's selling short a stock with non existing shares...basically, large companies can short forever. A true short would be borrowing shares from the same broker that had shares on margin or not set to be sold at a certain price. If there was an actual share count on some of these stocks, there'd be way more shares outstanding that actually exist. The SEC enforces nothing.

The US markets are completely fucked. You'd have a better chance buying and selling on one of the foreign exchanges.
Siji
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: mAcK 624
PSN ID: mAcK_624
Wii Friend Code: 7304853446448491

Post by Siji »

Funny thing about the stock market and the level of interest rates for new cars or new mortgages.. unemployed/underemployed people don't care. They're losing their houses, they can't qualify for new loans (assuming the banks would even bother lending money out), and their 401k is most likely what they're living on now.

Funnier thing about companies complaining they can't skip giving bonuses in the millions to CEOs for fear of 'talent drain'.. unemployed/underemployed people don't agree. The current leadership of these companies got us where we are. And this isn't an island fucking paradise.

Hilarious thing about republicans complaining about Obama wanting to bump up millionaires taxes a bit or get rid of the Bush cuts.. Unemployed/underemployed people are singing cry me a fucking river bitches. How exactly are you going to grow anything with no money to invest, and by cutting programs/jobs?

Do you seriously think one of the most well spoken presidents this country has seen in memory is not going to be able to point out a long shit list of facts about the GOP? Guess what, Health Care Reform didn't kill grandma and citizens in general couldn't give a fuck less about it now that it's out of the news. Do you seriously believe that Obama won't be able to display how the fuckmess the US now finds itself in with a lowered credit rating and the resulting problems was not caused by a unrealistic tea party and a GOP willing to cater to such a party like a teenage boy caught masturbating to Teletubbies by his sister? Headline after headline in the news, tv and on the web talked about how the GOP walked away from a better deal than they presented, refused to compromise (as usual), etc.

It's easy to say how fuckwad democrats couldn't get shit done when they held everything (and I'd certainly agree with it), but that's old news now. That's ancient history. People aren't even thinking about what a fucking piece of garbage Joe Lieberman is anymore. What's going to be remembered come election time is the GOP fucking Joe the Plumber in the ass. The GOP protecting millionaire tax cuts and loopholes. The GOP causing the US to lose it's credit rating for the first time in history. The last 3 years have been a constant stream of the GOP being dickwads and Mr. O's going to make sure that shit sticks. And it won't be hard to do.

I'm disappointed with Obama, but he's a shoe in for the next term (and *still* better than the alternative). The only chance the GOP has is if he continues to take the high road with his campaign. After being fucked over by the GOP in this recent debacle and the last 3 years I don't see that happening. What's the GOP going to use as leverage for what they've accomplished?

Bachman? Seriously?
Avestan
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Avestan »

Bachman is a side show fed to people like you to laugh at. Without you, the media does not write about her.

People always blame the President when times are bad. His ability as an orator will not change that. It is just far easier for people to blame an individual as opposed to an amorphous group of people who barely have national name recognition (Congress).

I am not saying that is how it should be, but Obama certainly deserves a chunk of the blame for where we are. Two years ago, I was riding the "he inherited this" bandwagon. No more. Sorry. He should have been focused on jobs instead of health care when he had political capital. That was a bad mistake that might end up costing him this election.

He is perceived as caring about his pet project more than he did about jobs. He refused to get too heavily involved in this most recent debacle in fear of being associated with it and I think it made him look weak - really weak. He is in trouble.

If it is Obama vs. Bachman - Obama gets my vote, but I would vote for Romney in a split second right now. I voted for Obama in 2008.
Aabidano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aabidano »

I didn't vote for Obama on the assumption McCain might be less damaging in the long run, in hindsight no telling.

I like Romney and think he'd make a good president. I'm not sure it would be possible for him to be one though, would need to wait and see how things play out. In other circumstances I'd vote for him without hesitation. Today I'd lean towards any candidate not from the RNC.

Right now I'm guessing the RNC will run some whacko then wring their hands and rake in dollars when they lose.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

at the time McCain wasn't a terrible choice. Until he picked Palin as his running mate. There was no fucking way I was going to consider voting for him at that point.

--
Zaelath
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zaelath »

Aslanna wrote:at the time McCain wasn't a terrible choice. Until he picked Palin as his running mate. There was no fucking way I was going to consider voting for him at that point.
I would dispute the "he picked" part, but yeah, he'd already been pushed from the centre to the far right to be allowed to run, then Palin associated him with the looney far right. Game Over.
May 2003 - "Mission Accomplished"
June 2005 - "The mission isn't easy, and it will not be accomplished overnight"
-- G W Bush, freelance writer for The Daily Show.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

I thought Obama made a decent speech in his State of the Union.

If some whack job gets the republican nomination, we might have to stick with him unless the other guy proposes spending half a trillion on space exploration.
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

No mention of repealing DOMA was a disappointment. Not a surprise, but still, a disappointment.
Make love, fuck war, peace will save us.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

U.S. stocks surged Thursday, with the Dow industrials less than 100 points from the 13,000 level, as the outlook for Greece's bailout improved and American jobless claims slid to a nearly four-year low.
Thanks, Obama!

--
Aabidano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aabidano »

Winnow wrote:If some whack job gets the republican nomination..
Missed this, "If"?
Sueven
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Sueven »

Winnow:

Who would you vote for in a Santorum v. Obama election?
Aabidano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aabidano »

Sueven wrote:Winnow:

Who would you vote for in a Santorum v. Obama election?
Exactly.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Post by Fairweather Pure »

Aslanna wrote:
U.S. stocks surged Thursday, with the Dow industrials less than 100 points from the 13,000 level, as the outlook for Greece's bailout improved and American jobless claims slid to a nearly four-year low.
Thanks, Obama!
It looks like the Republican Party's strategy to cock block Obama at every turn worked! Thanks for turning our country around, Republicans!

(actually said by a co-worker btw)
Leonaerd
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Leonaerd »

#-o
Kilmoll the Sexy
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Obama actually is backing one thing that I actually like! He is wanting to lower corporate taxes and tax companies on their overseas productions, while eliminating loopholes. Wow!

On the other hand, he is standing up and lying to the people here about not being able to do a thing about the gas prices. Newt has said he could get them down to 2.50 and Newt is correct on this one. It is time to end oil speculation. There is zero reason to allow individuals looking to make a quick buck destroy the country's economy.
Leonaerd
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Leonaerd »

One does not simply remove oil's influence over Washington.