Where is your god now?!
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Rift Beta

Post by Winnow »

Rift Beta started today:

http://www.riftgame.com/en/

So far pretty impressed with UI, graphics and characters. Pretty polished for first day of closed beta.

I'll post random screens for the hell of it.

Passes the skimpy clothing test!

Big monsters for level one. I guess better than beating on giant rats!

So far (so far being about 15 mins not including character generation), I can say that it's better than WoW and FFXIV.

Nothing notable yet except that you can save four profiles/builds for your character, making it easy to switch between PvE PVP, Grouping, etc without swapping gear/skills, etc manually.

This should end up being at least another high end MMO alternative if you can't stand WoW like me. There's are EQII creator ties to this game which should make some people happy.
Aabidano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Re: Rift Beta

Post by Aabidano »

D'oh! Forgot to sign up for this :(

Screens look pretty neat so far, hope it goes someplace.
"Life is what happens while you're making plans for later."
Bagar-
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Bagar- »

Herp derp wowkiller.

No but in all seriousness I'd welcome an MMO that can actually compete with WoW. Competition is the foundation of quality. As long as WoW sits on top the Devs have no particular reason to make substantial player-driven improvements.
Going out to play pool now with my fellow klan members. Have a nice night. - Midnyte
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Post by Fairweather Pure »

I think I need to see it in motion. The pics you posted are a bit bland.

I can't believe you hate WoW so much. It's such a great experience. I can honestly say that my WoW experiences have easily moved above my EQ1 memories, which is no small accomplishment because I really treasure my time spent in EQ.

All the redone content in WoW is amazing. You should give it another spin and stop wasting your time on clones!
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

WoW would be better without around 90% of the community.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Fairweather Pure wrote:I think I need to see it in motion. The pics you posted are a bit bland.
Screenshots aren't that great but the game is visually very good.

It's an EQ clone not a WoW clone! I haven't spent much time with this as it's a double XP weekend for the MMO I do actively play which is Aion. Aion's come a long ways. They've been actively making improvements, cutting down on the grind, enchancing the PvE parts while keeping the PvP active. Basically, they are pretty much limiting the PvP to the Abyss as it should have been to start with so the PvE players can go about their business doing quest, leveling, etc, without being ganked constantly. Sorry, there's no skill in waiting for someone to be 10% health while fighting a challenging PvE mob and then dropping in and killing the player that's more than 5 levels below you (or any level for that matter). Aion's been much more enjoyable since the adjustments. It's still the best looking game out there. I've played them all. Guild War 2 should be the game on everyone's list.

As for Rift. It's growing on me. It's your standard MMO but does most things very well so far.

Some more screens.

It has a solid achievement system for those that like filling all the squares.

My Soul Tree. I've picked two of my three specialties. There are about 9 to chose from for the Ranger class. I'm going all ranged so far but there are close combat, traps, stealth, support builds, etc. As you put points into the trees above, you automatically get the skills below.

Pretty views. No complaints about the environments.

Ding! The quest system is pretty standard. It's polished but familiar to anyone that's played recent MMOs.

Some examples of the collections system which is different than achievements. Not sure what you gain from completing them. There seems to be a ton which add on as you first discover an item belonging to a group.

Some more of the pretty scenery. It looks great at full resolution. Same area. Second picture isn't night, it's a Rift rolling in which leads to...

Mapping system works well. With random Rifts from multiple planar factions reigning down in random locations, the map does a good job of showing you where the rift is and the general invasion plan. So you can join in the defense.

Me approaching a new Rift.

Things start out well enough. Stage two complete!

Unfortunately, this one has 4 stages and this is me about to die. Btw, yes the hair is the worst part of the characters. I picked the ugly Blue. There's a wide open two tone color picker for hair and other stuff (gradient picker, not sliders)

Another look at the screen with UI. It's customizable, movable windows, etc.

Summoning my pet.

Some infested crop field location.

I like being able to COD stuff. Pay up! I need to click the CoD button still!

Pets are well done IMO. I'm really liking the Ranger class with it's pets. They tank well. The top bar is the pet bar. Pets have a few abilities and your standard aggressive, defensive and passive modes. I'm not big on pets but am having no trouble controlling mine.

Me using cover while my pet tanks for me. (jk, I don't think cover does anything in this game)

Also, the ranger smoothly switches from ranged to close combat. You'll notice the sculls. As you use certain skills (like Warhammer Online) you build up points and then can release those points using a closing move. I can easily switch to blades if a mob closes in on me and the points continue into the close combat finishing moves so they are not lost if you don't use them if the mob gets by/through your pet.

I'm using a gun but you can just as easily use a bow. Most quests give you the option of choosing similar stat bow of rifles.

I originally tried the Necro type class. It's completely different as it should be. There are three races (six total, two factions), four major classes with each class having 7-9 ish subclass soul tree areas to specialize in (which you choose three, adding the other two early on in the game) No restriction on where you put your points between the three. Seems like a lot to work with for customizing your class and play style with some re-playability in there for sure.

Anyway. It's going to be a solid offering that some people will enjoy that already like this style of MMORPG. Looking forward to playing more. My beta invite is only for this weekend so far so I may not get to play again. I'll be back in the beta pool again for the next event.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: miir1

Post by miir »

Winnow wrote:Image
LOL
I've got 99 problems and I'm not dealing with any of them - Lay-Z
Dregor Thule
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Xathlak
PSN ID: dregor77

Post by Dregor Thule »

I want to check it out, but man the timing just stinks :(
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Post by Funkmasterr »

I might give it a shot, but if it isn't the best MMO I've ever played I'm going to make 3 or 4 threads about how terrible it is. You've been warned.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Here's a few screens of the char generation part.

Middle of the road for selections. Not up there with Aion but a step above your average.

This game (in beta) seems to work fine. It's fun to quest. The Rifts I don't get yet. kinda get mobbed and then you get loot distribution like in Warhammer with chanced improved based on your participation.

So far, I'd say it's fun but there's nothing I've seen yet that would create something unique that would keep you there for more than a month or so. Of course, you've got to give the developers a chance as hey are just starting the fine tuning. For now, I'd call it worth a month or two for sure but only as a stop gap to something like Guild Wars 2 (if it's even released before GW2 comes out).

-----

Here's a good video showing what Rift is about for those curious about the game in motion:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Hc2ZZcu-2o
Bagar-
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Bagar- »

Funkmasterr wrote:I might give it a shot, but if it isn't the best MMO I've ever played I'm going to make 3 or 4 threads about how terrible it is. You've been warned.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Going out to play pool now with my fellow klan members. Have a nice night. - Midnyte
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Bagar- wrote:
Funkmasterr wrote:I might give it a shot, but if it isn't the best MMO I've ever played I'm going to make 3 or 4 threads about how terrible it is. You've been warned.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
What's funny about that is that Funkmasterr and Miir were the ones that kept making new threads about FFXIV to begin with.
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Chidoro
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Chidoro »

Winnow wrote: This should end up being at least another high end MMO alternative if you can't stand WoW like me. There's are EQII creator ties to this game which should make some people happy.
Not sure why you continually hate on WoW. Based off a lot of the pics you submitted, the interface, talent trees, etc seem awfully wow-like.

If it has a sub to play, i'll pass. if it's ftp, i might give it a shot running around as a newbie
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Post by Funkmasterr »

Fairweather Pure wrote:I think I need to see it in motion. The pics you posted are a bit bland.

I can't believe you hate WoW so much. It's such a great experience. I can honestly say that my WoW experiences have easily moved above my EQ1 memories, which is no small accomplishment because I really treasure my time spent in EQ.

All the redone content in WoW is amazing. You should give it another spin and stop wasting your time on clones!
Blasphemy!

Really though, I have fonder memories of noobie zones in EQ than I do of my entire 5~ish years playing WoW.
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Canelek

Post by Canelek »

Looks like a cross between WoW and AO, with slightly better graphics than WoW. :)
en kærlighed småkager
Kwonryu DragonFist
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Kwonryu DragonFist »

The female characters actually look good, they have some thickness and are not anorexic

The undead enemies(Netherlings) looked creepy and well made
Thanks to Thess
---xx0O0xx---
The best site known to man!
--++http://kwonryu.mybrute.com++--
Sartori
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Sartori »

Saw it at PAX. Brings nothing exciting to the table IMO.
Sartori
70 Undead Rogue, Illidan (retired 11/07)
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Sartori wrote:Saw it at PAX. Brings nothing exciting to the table IMO.
I agree with that. Nothing new. It does what is does pretty well. It would be a filller MMO while waiting on some of the more anticipated releases in the works.
Kluden
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kluden »

I signed up for the beta, and was wondering how/when they do beta dispersments. Do they just let you play during these windows they mention of content over a weekend? Or is there open world beta going on, and then during these dates they give out, you do specific junk?
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Kluden wrote:I signed up for the beta, and was wondering how/when they do beta dispersments. Do they just let you play during these windows they mention of content over a weekend? Or is there open world beta going on, and then during these dates they give out, you do specific junk?
You'll get an invite a few days before the beta event so you can download the client and then you'll be able to play for a weekend. The beta forums will remain open to you afterward and you'll be eligible for more beta events in the future.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

I received another weekend beta invite for this game so will check out the other faction of Rift's races this weekend that weren't available before.
Zygar_ Cthulhukin
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Zygar_ Cthulhukin »

Got an invite to the 3rd beta event. Anyone else gonna be playing?
{{{(>.<)}}} (o.o) \\(^o^)// --- I DID IT!!!! -Hiro
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

Is that the one starting on the 28th?
Zygar_ Cthulhukin
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Zygar_ Cthulhukin »

yup
{{{(>.<)}}} (o.o) \\(^o^)// --- I DID IT!!!! -Hiro
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: miir1

Post by miir »

Patcher is worse than FFXIV
I've got 99 problems and I'm not dealing with any of them - Lay-Z
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

Patcher ran fine for me before I came in to work.

Not sure how much time I can actually spend in this stage while work remains crazy.

I only glanced at the server list yesterday, which I assume will be the same when the event starts. Any thoughts on where people might migrate?
Psyloche
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Psyloche »

miir wrote:Patcher is worse than FFXIV
This is unpossible and can not be!?
Hijoputa 80 DK - Undermine
Psyloche 80 Rogue - Hyjal
Baaka 80 Paladin - Hyjal
Churrasco 70 Tauren Warrior - Firetree
Rennard 70 UD Priest - Firetree
Sinjin617 - Ogame.org (More or less Retired)
Seithyr 70 Monk - Veeshan (Retired)
Psyloche Wenusberg 70 Rogue - Veeshan (Retired)
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

I winnow'd the game over my lunch break. Rolled a Druid on the only server that didn't have a queue at the time. Had several video driver resets in the beginning. Will definitely have to check into the way that the classes work later. Are the three choices basically like alternate builds that you swap between, or are they essentially like the multiple skill trees in other games?
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Boogahz wrote:I winnow'd the game over my lunch break. Rolled a Druid on the only server that didn't have a queue at the time. Had several video driver resets in the beginning. Will definitely have to check into the way that the classes work later. Are the three choices basically like alternate builds that you swap between, or are they essentially like the multiple skill trees in other games?
You will be able to pick from multiple sub class types to fill those skill trees around level 5 and then again around level 8-10. You are also able to save three different "spec" setups for fast switching between PvP, PvE, etc (forget the terminology)
Kwonryu DragonFist
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Out of Rift, Tera Online and Blade and Soul, which is best?

Tera
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VM3v3I8Nrqs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5R4X_0R-C4

Blade and Soiled Pants
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EtA1jSreK84
Thanks to Thess
---xx0O0xx---
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Kwonryu DragonFist wrote:Out of Rift, Tera Online and Blade and Soul, which is best?

Tera
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VM3v3I8Nrqs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5R4X_0R-C4

Blade and Soiled Pants
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EtA1jSreK84

Tera Online because Blade and Soul was pushed back to 2012.
Kwonryu DragonFist
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

So, you think Tera is better than Rift then?
Thanks to Thess
---xx0O0xx---
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Tera is better than Rift. Rift is a solid game but there is nothing that stands out. Tera will be a AAA type release.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

You can definitely tell that the old WAR team is behind Rift.
Bubba Grizz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Bubba Grizz »

When is the release date?

For both Rift and Tera?
Last edited by Bubba Grizz on January 14, 2011, 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

Early March....I think. Pre-Orders were made available recently.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Boogahz wrote:Early March....I think. Pre-Orders were made available recently.
March for Rift. Im not sure Tera has announced yet. It just barely went into Beta in Korea a few days ago.

btw, http://www.justin.tv is a great pleace to watch beta games in action. Lots of people stream them there.
Kwonryu DragonFist
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

What server you on Winn?

Or is there only one.
Thanks to Thess
---xx0O0xx---
Bubba Grizz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Bubba Grizz »

Rift Set to Launch March 1, 2011
Retail and Digital Pre-Order Start Today

REDWOOD SHORES, Calif. – January 4, 2011 – Trion Worlds, a global publisher and developer of premium online games, today announced that the upcoming MMORPG Rift™ is scheduled to launch in North America on March 1st and in Europe on March 4th. Today also marks the start of the game’s pre-order program through both digital and retail channels.

“The launch of Rift is the culmination of our tireless efforts over the past several years to bring players the most complete, full-featured, and dynamic online game they’ve ever experienced,” said Lars Buttler, CEO of Trion Worlds. “Through the dedication, creativity, and incredible track record of our veteran development team, we’ve been able to create an exceptionally polished and immersive online world filled with adventure, surprise, and beauty. We can’t wait to share Rift with players around the world.”

Beginning today, customers who pre-order Rift receive their choice of one-of-three exclusive in-game pets, and are eligible to participate in the head-start period anticipated to begin February 24th. Pre-order customers will also be granted access to play in all remaining closed-beta events. Beta details, including a regularly updated event schedule, are available at http://www.RIFTgame.com/beta.

Available for purchase online and at select retail outlets, the Standard, Digital Collector’s and Retail Collector’s Editions of the game will sell for $49.99, $59.99 and $79.99 USD, respectively. The standard monthly subscription rate for the game will be $14.99 USD.
Bubba Grizz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Bubba Grizz »

I played in the 6th beta event this last weekend. I was just starting so I didn't get to experience much. I wanted to try a plate wearer instead of a caster this time around. I created a Dwarf Paladin with a side of Void and Warlord. All in all the game is very much like WoW but where I think it sets itself apart is with the Rifts.

It becomes a whole zone event where everyone works together to stop the invasion in that zone. You need to take out certain areas call Footholds and then you need to take out larger groups. It is all pretty well done. The only problem I can see happening is that when there aren't a lot of people in the zone or when most people have leveled past certain areas and move on. I wonder what happens then.

I only made it up to level 11. Some of the quests are really quite cool and are fun. Overall they are mostly the kill x goblins and bring y objects. Towards the end I felt that my ability to solo as a tank type was taking too long so I created another warrior called a Paragon which is a dual wielding master. Stuff died faster but I also took more damage.

Even though I was on a PVPRP server I didn't experience any PVP or RP. Probably because it was beta so no RP was going to happen and didn't get high enough level to have to worry about pvp.
Dregor Thule
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Xathlak
PSN ID: dregor77

Post by Dregor Thule »

After playing Rift for a bit, my initial impression is better than most betas, not worth leaving WoW for.
masteen
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by masteen »

I was on a regular server, but sometimes at the end of a rift event, an opposing faction player would appear (not sure if this was a phasing bug or something) and get fucking mega-ganked by the raid.

Overall, its a good game, right now. I'd be very surprised if it didn't manage to draw and keep at least a couple 100k subs.

I'm going to buy it, but I am really burnt on the whole fantasy genre ATM, so I don't imagine I'll subscribe. I'm most likely done with WoW as well.
"There is at least as much need to curb the cruel greed and arrogance of part of the world of capital, to curb the cruel greed and violence of part of the world of labor, as to check a cruel and unhealthy militarism in international relationships." -Theodore Roosevelt
Bubba Grizz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Bubba Grizz »

Rift™ Open Beta Event Scheduled to Start February 15th!
On February 15th Trion will lift the veil on their upcoming MMORPG Rift™ with a six-day open beta event, giving all would-be Defiants and Guardians the opportunity to preview the epic world of Telara before the game launches worldwide on March 1st. Servers are scheduled to be open from 10:00 AM PST on Tuesday, February 15th to 10:00 AM PST on Monday, February 21st, giving users a taste of Telara, including two playable factions, the first 42 levels of play, three PvP warfronts, and several zones and dungeons to explore.

Sign up now at http://www.riftgame.com/betasignup for a guaranteed spot in the “Telara the Merciless” beta event, and secure your spot in the Rift head start period (February 24-March 1) by pre-ordering the game now at http://www.riftgame.com/preorder.
Last edited by Abigale; 02-07-2011 at 06:01 PM.