Voting for the lesser evil

What do you think about the world?
Aabidano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Voting for the lesser evil

Post by Aabidano »

This is a first for me, for years I've voted republican not because I agree with them or like their candidates but simply because they were the lesser evil. In the upcoming election they seem to be going for broke in putting up far right loony candidates because of the perception that anyone they want can be on the ticket and beat a democrat.

In the upcoming FL election at least the clowns that are running on the republican ticket may well be past what I can stomach. The senate candidate certainly is. With any luck someone reasonable with show up on the ticket.

Bah.
"Life is what happens while you're making plans for later."
Sueven
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Re: Voting for the lesser evil

Post by Sueven »

What's your take on Charlie Crist?

What district do you live in?
Aabidano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aabidano »

District 10.

I like Charlie Crist, moderate and seems to use common sense rather than party dictate when voting. Recent teacher tenure bill was a good example.

Marco Rubio seems to be a someone who'll do what the party tells him to. No thanks.

Rick Scott looks like a tool, I'm very suspicious of anyone associated with the tea party "movement". His business background makes me very wary of him as well. His appeal lies largely in that people don't think things through.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/8688383.stm

*Edit - More on the same theme:
The Tea Party movement has generated a lot of media talk about “populism,” which gets defined as the battle between Big Government and the Common Folk, but what gets ignored is that the only feasible check on unlimited corporate power would be a democratized and energized federal government.

So, by targeting government, not corporatism, the Tea Partiers serve essentially as “faux populist” front-men for corporate interests
I would say of the rank and file tea baggers; "unknowing front men of corporate interests"

http://www.consortiumnews.com/2010/043010a.html
masteen
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by masteen »

I wish Charlie Christ wasn't homogay so the GOP could finally trot out a national candidate who understands a little bit about fiscal responsibility and appropriate use of public funds. Not to say he's without flaw, but he's clearly a step in the right direction.

I'm afraid that Palin was only the tip of the fundie whackjob iceberg.
"There is at least as much need to curb the cruel greed and arrogance of part of the world of capital, to curb the cruel greed and violence of part of the world of labor, as to check a cruel and unhealthy militarism in international relationships." -Theodore Roosevelt
Xyun
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Xyun »

I think I will be voting for Crist. Yes I know he used to be a Republican, and I'd rather vote for Meek. However, if Rubio looks anywhere close to winning I will have to vote for Crist mostly as a vote against Rubio.

I also live in FL 10. :)
I tell it like a true mackadelic.
Founder of Ixtlan - the SCUM of Veeshan.
Sueven
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Sueven »

Sadly I don't know much about the FL-10 house race.

I kind of like Crist too. I mean, there are plenty of legitimate criticisms to be made of him, but I think ultimately he's a reasonable guy and a good politician. Marco Rubio is just a standard-order far-right conservative who, as far as I can tell, doesn't particularly distinguish himself ethically, intellectually, or otherwise. Kendrick Meek is a bit of a sleazebag. If I lived in Florida, I think I'd vote for Crist despite the fact that Meek is closer to my preferences on the issues.

Also-- Jack Conway versus Rand Paul? Joe Sestak versus Pat Toomey? There are going to be some fun elections this fall.

And one thing that everyone should be happy about but probably went fairly unnoticed last night: Mary Beth Buchanan, crazy overzealous former right-wing prosecutor, lost her primary for the House in PA-4 despite having the backing of the NRCC. Buchanan was a U.S. Attorney in the Bush administration who had a disturbing tendency to use her office as a political bludgeon. Her most egregious prosecution was of prominent Democrat Dr. Cyril Wecht, who she charged with various fraud and theft charges. She was handed a series of stunning and embarrassing courtroom defeats-- she failed to convict Wecht despite the fact that he was not allowed to argue that the prosecution was political, the appellate court froze her retrial, the judge in a retrial threw out all of her evidence as being illegally obtained, and she was investigated by Congress for abusing her office for political reasons. That's not her only rodeo, though-- she's also the person who thought that federal law enforcement and prosecution resources would be best served by going after Tommy Chong for selling bongs, among other absurd cases.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mary_Beth_Buchanan

Anyway, she got clobbered last night, so congratulations to the Republican voters of PA-4.
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

"Joe Sestak and Rand Paul winners. They must now go to the Queen and ask permission to form a government."
Make love, fuck war, peace will save us.
Aabidano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aabidano »

Rick Scott is already running negative commercials talking up how Obama and the evil liberals hate law enforcement, showing the clip of Obama joking about AZ's new immigration stuff.

He's really showing off his tea party roots, I don't think the message makes the transition from his previous audience to the larger world though.
Aabidano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aabidano »

The Rick Scott (teabagger for governor) ads running now focus on how much Obama has increased taxes and how if elected governor he will rescue us from Obama and the evil demoncrats.

No mention yet of his democratic opponent who's doing well in the polls despite being largely silent so far. She seems a decent enough candidate.

At present, I plan to vote for her just because she isn't Rick Scott.
Last edited by Aabidano on July 28, 2010, 7:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tyek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Tyekk
PSN ID: Tyek

Post by Tyek »

When I was younger, I used to think that the world was doing it to me and that the world owes me some thing…When you're a teeny bopper, that's what you think. I'm 40 now, I don't think that anymore, because I found out it doesn't f--king work. One has to go through that. For the people who even bother to go through that, most assholes just accept what it is anyway and get on with it." - John Lennon
Aabidano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aabidano »

I'd trust him farther than most of the right wing FL contenders.

Something like 30% of FL registered voters are Hispanic and historically quite conservative, this was La Florida when many of their ancestors got here.

Running a platform that hints of bias against non-whites doesn't seem to be a winning strategy.
Aabidano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aabidano »

Commercials have markedly changed tone, looks like at least some of the republican candidates have some brains. Or their strategists do at any rate.

Primary tomorrow, will be voting for folks I'm unlikely to vote for in the general election but don't want to see on the ballot come Nov.
Gzette
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Gzette »

Im confused. You're voting for people you wouldn't vote for in November because you don't want to see them on the ballot in November?
Gzette Shizette - EQ - 70 Ranger - Veeshan - retired
Bobbysue - WoW - 70 Hunter - Hyjal - <Hooac>
HOOAC 4 EVAH!

knock knock
who's there
OH I JUST ATE MY OWN BALLS
Aabidano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aabidano »

Didn't word that very well, I'll be voting for people I'm unlikely to vote for in the general election to keep others I'm dead against off the Nov ballot.

School board choices were easy, I just voted opposite my creationist neighbors' yard signs :)
Aabidano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aabidano »

I voted early yesterday, I should be able to opt out of the commercials and the flood of junk mail. I rarely watch local TV except the news at dinner. Even that's turned off until after the election.

The candidates on the tea bag express who've been campaigning for a while have majorly modified their message in an attempt to appeal to the middle\not seem like loonies. The newcomers with shallower pockets apparently didn't get that memo.

Many of the candidates are sleazy, the GOP candidate for governor puts them to shame though.
Siji
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: mAcK 624
PSN ID: mAcK_624
Wii Friend Code: 7304853446448491

Post by Siji »

Aabidano wrote:The Rick Scott (teabagger for governor) ads running now focus on how much Obama has increased taxes and how if elected governor he will rescue us from Obama and the evil demoncrats.

No mention yet of his democratic opponent who's doing well in the polls despite being largely silent so far. She seems a decent enough candidate.

At present, I plan to vote for her just because she isn't Rick Scott.
Same here. Scott and Rubio concern me a lot. I don't generally vote in these elections, but I will be this time. Crist.. I don't know, his whole housing thing he pushed through bothered me. What was that, prop 1 or something - dealt with home owner taxes or something, I can't remember now, just remember it bothered me a lot and made me not trust him.
Aabidano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aabidano »

Rubio while staying to the far right has changed his spots a few times through the campaign. Last commercial I saw he was straying into teabagger territory. Prior to that he was acting like he was the second incarnation of Newt.

Crist isn't perfect, he seems a better choice than Meek and Rubio though.
masteen
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by masteen »

The only thing I fear is that Meek's blackness will draw a lot of support from the ignorant urban masses who don't care how much of a fucking crook he is, only that's he's not white. Not that he'd win (we're not Detroit), but that might draw enough votes away from the centrist Crist to allow the fundy/teabagger bloc to elect Rubio.
"There is at least as much need to curb the cruel greed and arrogance of part of the world of capital, to curb the cruel greed and violence of part of the world of labor, as to check a cruel and unhealthy militarism in international relationships." -Theodore Roosevelt
Tyek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Tyek »

I ended up going against EVERY incumbent. Almost entire vote was libertarian party. I know I threw my vote away, but there was no clear choice...Jerry Brown??? Meg Whitman???? no thanks. Boxer??? Please...
When I was younger, I used to think that the world was doing it to me and that the world owes me some thing…When you're a teeny bopper, that's what you think. I'm 40 now, I don't think that anymore, because I found out it doesn't f--king work. One has to go through that. For the people who even bother to go through that, most assholes just accept what it is anyway and get on with it." - John Lennon
Metanis
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Metanis »

Tyek wrote:I ended up going against EVERY incumbent. Almost entire vote was libertarian party. I know I threw my vote away, but there was no clear choice...Jerry Brown??? Meg Whitman???? no thanks. Boxer??? Please...
I'm most amused by the whole Jerry Brown thing. It is absolutely insane (by definition) that voters would inflict that re-tread upon themselves.

I mean Whitman is no Sarah Palin, but c'mon, Jerry "Moonbeam" Brown?

On the other hand, who better to serve the kool-aid as California commits collective suicide? "Here, have another toke."
Aabidano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aabidano »

Metanis wrote:I mean Whitman is no Sarah Palin...
Whitman having been a very successful businesswoman as compared to Palins' what? She doesn't even remotely have the same level of experience. At anything really.

I'm not one to bash Palin randomly, she was unprepared and way out of her league in the 2008 election. Similar to Fox News and the tea party, they wanted her to trot around read a script.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meg_Whitman
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sarah_palin
Metanis
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Metanis »

Aabidano wrote:
Metanis wrote:I mean Whitman is no Sarah Palin...
Whitman having been a very successful businesswoman as compared to Palins' what? She doesn't even remotely have the same level of experience. At anything really.

I'm not one to bash Palin randomly, she was unprepared and way out of her league in the 2008 election. Similar to Fox News and the tea party, they wanted her to trot around read a script.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meg_Whitman
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sarah_palin
Ummm, didn't you like maybe miss the whole point? The contrast between Palin and Whitman was intended to get you to see and understand the interstellar gulf between Whitman and Brown.
Nick
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Nick »

Could all reasonably intelligent American's start keeping their house in order so anyone visiting this website that isn't a total fucking lunatic might actually feel like it's not a total waste of time?

Thanks.
masteen
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by masteen »

You come to a message board looking to do something other than waste time?
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

yet, that is all he has been
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: miir1

Post by miir »

Nick wrote:reasonably intelligent American
Wouldn't that be like a reasonably sober Irishman?
I've got 99 problems and I'm not dealing with any of them - Lay-Z
masteen
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by masteen »

miir wrote:
Nick wrote:reasonably intelligent American
Wouldn't that be like a reasonably sober Irishman?
I'll take Mythological Creatures for 800, Alex.
Leonaerd
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Leonaerd »

With our votes today, we usher in a new regime. I call it America: Gridlock Edition. May we AGE a couple more years.
masteen
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by masteen »

I can't believe we're sending that idiot Rubio to Washington.
Zaelath
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zaelath »

Leonaerd wrote:With our votes today, we usher in a new regime. I call it America: Gridlock Edition. May we AGE a couple more years.
Unless you get rid of the filibuster it will be gridlock in every government that doesn't have a super majority.
May 2003 - "Mission Accomplished"
June 2005 - "The mission isn't easy, and it will not be accomplished overnight"
-- G W Bush, freelance writer for The Daily Show.
Aabidano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aabidano »

masteen wrote:I can't believe we're sending that idiot Rubio to Washington.
I'm absolutely baffled what would make someone vote for him. Or Scott for that matter.

Couple years of stasis in DC ahead.
masteen
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by masteen »

I can at least comprehend Scott beating Sink. She was one of the weakest candidates ever, almost Dukakis-esque in her awkward splendor.

But how in the hell could anyone vote for a shitbag like Rubio over a guy with a track record of keeping spending in check while balancing the needs of the state like Charlie Crist truly baffles me. He didn't have the "R" next to his name anymore, so I guess the blue-hair trailer park set didn't vote for him.

It's also baffling how the Democrats let Meek continue to run, despite the fact that he had ZERO chance of winning and his presence strengthened Rubio by stealing the black vote from Crist. The Democrats are the most ineffective and worthless political entity on the planet.
Metanis
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Metanis »

masteen wrote:The Democrats are the most ineffective and worthless political entity on the planet.
Metanis
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Metanis »

Some things bear repeating until even liberals figure it out...
masteen wrote:The Democrats are the most ineffective and worthless political entity on the planet.
Bagar-
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Bagar- »

Whenever I read a post like the above, a quote from the great Lewis Black comes to mind.
Republicans have nothing but bad ideas and Democrats have no ideas.
Don't assume that because the opposing party sucks, that yours is any better, you senile old fucking piece of dogshit.
Going out to play pool now with my fellow klan members. Have a nice night. - Midnyte
Metanis
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Metanis »

Bagar- wrote:Whenever I read a post like the above, a quote from the great Lewis Black comes to mind.
Don't assume that because the opposing party sucks, that yours is any better, you senile old fucking piece of dogshit.
Hahahaaha, I guess those sour grapes must be tasting a bit like vinegar right now! :)

Choke on it bitch!
Tyek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Tyek »

Wow, just wow.

Do you think anything changed yesterday, just the names on the desks. All we are in for is more of the same. It does not matter what "team" they play for, all of them are worried about themselves first, contributors 2nd, party 3rd, you 40th.
Bagar-
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Bagar- »

Metanis wrote:
Bagar- wrote:Whenever I read a post like the above, a quote from the great Lewis Black comes to mind.
Hahahaaha, I guess those sour grapes must be tasting a bit like vinegar right now! :)

Choke on it bitch!
No, because I don't vote. You may have noticed from the quote that I posted, Metanis, that I think both your party and the party you oppose are fucking useless. So to deduce "sour grapes" from that only continues to reinforce that you have no logical reasoning skills and could easily be matched for intelligence with one of Kilmoll's shitstains.

Next time you make a post, try contemplating the things you type ahead of time rather than spewing out whatever useless nonesense enters your decrepit, partially-functional fucking brain.
Going out to play pool now with my fellow klan members. Have a nice night. - Midnyte
Metanis
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Metanis »

Bagar- wrote:No, because I don't vote.
You're a bigger loser than I thought.
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
Siji
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: mAcK 624
PSN ID: mAcK_624
Wii Friend Code: 7304853446448491

Post by Siji »

masteen wrote:It's also baffling how the Democrats let Meek continue to run, despite the fact that he had ZERO chance of winning and his presence strengthened Rubio by stealing the black vote from Crist.
Looking at it as pure numbers you're absolutely correct. But forcing the main democratic nominee to drop out in favor of an independent, and being a black candidate at that? How long until some Jesse Jackson pulls the racism card? It was a lose/lose situation.

Plus, people don't actually bother with truth or information these days.. as long as Faux news or Rush or Beck say it, it must be true.
Bagar-
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Bagar- »

Metanis wrote:

Did you even read the rest of that post, you ancient piece of horseshit? Why in the fuck would I drag myself to some shithole polling area and vote when the outcome, whether democrat or republican or - even worse - "tea party" is the same goat rodeo with a different name? Is it apathy? Sure. But it's justified apathy. Especially considering that I live in god damn Tennessee. This state is almost as wholly dipshit republican/conservative as you are.

I'm genuinely curious; when you speak in real life, do you just blurt out the same inane bullshit that you spew on VeeshanVault? And if so, are you estranged from most of your family, or is your family as god damn stupid as you are?
Tyek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Tyek »

Siji wrote:
masteen wrote:It's also baffling how the Democrats let Meek continue to run, despite the fact that he had ZERO chance of winning and his presence strengthened Rubio by stealing the black vote from Crist.
Looking at it as pure numbers you're absolutely correct. But forcing the main democratic nominee to drop out in favor of an independent, and being a black candidate at that? How long until some Jesse Jackson pulls the racism card? It was a lose/lose situation.

Plus, people don't actually bother with truth or information these days.. as long as Faux news or Rush or Beck say it, it must be true.
As bad as Fox News is on the right, MSNBC's coverage was just as bad on the left. Olbermann is a travesty. He says whatever he wants, but heaven forbid some Republican says something he does not like. I know it is cool to rip on Fox News, it's the hip thing, but how does MSNBC get a free pass all the time?
Metanis
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Metanis »

Leonaerd
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Leonaerd »

Bagar- wrote:
Metanis wrote:

Did you even read the rest of that post, you ancient piece of horseshit? Why in the fuck would I drag myself to some shithole polling area and vote when the outcome, whether democrat or republican or - even worse - "tea party" is the same goat rodeo with a different name? Is it apathy? Sure. But it's justified apathy. Especially considering that I live in god damn Tennessee. This state is almost as wholly dipshit republican/conservative as you are.

I'm genuinely curious; when you speak in real life, do you just blurt out the same inane bullshit that you spew on VeeshanVault? And if so, are you estranged from most of your family, or is your family as god damn stupid as you are?
Fucking beautiful.
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

Bagar- wrote:...I live in god damn Tennessee.
I know what you mean. My district has been represented by a Republican since 1867, and represented by the same family since 1965. I voted absentee this year. None of the Above received my write-in vote in three separate races.
Aabidano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aabidano »

I have a business
Installing styrofoam nuns
Fuck a fruitbasket
Bagar-
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Bagar- »

I'll take that as a "Yes."

I will admit that you do bring one useful thing to these forums and to society in general. Compared to you, even the most fanatical fucking morons look like they should be in Mensa. So thanks for giving everyone some perspective.
Dakanaf
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by Dakanaf »

Tyek wrote:Wow, just wow.

Do you think anything changed yesterday, just the names on the desks. All we are in for is more of the same. It does not matter what "team" they play for, all of them are worried about themselves first, contributors 2nd, party 3rd, you 40th.
:vv_yeahthat: