Bye bye Big 12

What do you think about the sports world?
Ashur
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Re: Bye bye Big 12

Post by Ashur »

Winnow wrote:
Ashur wrote:
Yes, he DID say football...
I said "at least" because this thread was about conference moves (entire schools) not just the football teams.

Gooooo Devils!
True. I apologize Winnow.

I didn't mean to be the guy who excludes conversation about other components of the conference realignment. I welcome your comments, as you have to have something to talk about since ASU is irrelevant when it comes to Football and it looks like your "other team" (USC) is for a few years as well. ;)
- Ash
Gzette
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Gzette »

I feel dirty about this whole debacle. My alma mater was much more concerned with $$ than anything else throughout this entire deal. As were all other schools, but with UT at the forefront of this story I feel somewhat ashamed.

I'd rather UT left and cut ties with little brother Aggy. According to Chip Brown from orangebloods.com (who has owned this story since day 1) Longhorns had a deal pretty much inked with PAC-10 until Aggy appeared to be in favor of going to SEC over PAC-12. Still, I wonder why Aggy was so pro-SEC? Great conference and all, but when you finish in the middle of the pack in the Big 12 each year, you gonna be the laughing stock of the SEC. Still, it will be a nice gift every Thanksgiving to watch the Horns pwn Aggy between bouts of turkey.

I'd look for the Little XII to scramble to add some schools. Snatching up TCU would be a great move forward. They're going to want 12 schools to maintain a CCG, cuz that means more $$.
Gzette Shizette - EQ - 70 Ranger - Veeshan - retired
Bobbysue - WoW - 70 Hunter - Hyjal - <Hooac>
HOOAC 4 EVAH!

knock knock
who's there
OH I JUST ATE MY OWN BALLS
Xatrei
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Xatrei »

Gzette wrote:I feel dirty about this whole debacle. My alma mater was much more concerned with $$ than anything else throughout this entire deal. As were all other schools, but with UT at the forefront of this story I feel somewhat ashamed.

I'd rather UT left and cut ties with little brother Aggy. According to Chip Brown from orangebloods.com (who has owned this story since day 1) Longhorns had a deal pretty much inked with PAC-10 until Aggy appeared to be in favor of going to SEC over PAC-12. Still, I wonder why Aggy was so pro-SEC? Great conference and all, but when you finish in the middle of the pack in the Big 12 each year, you gonna be the laughing stock of the SEC. Still, it will be a nice gift every Thanksgiving to watch the Horns pwn Aggy between bouts of turkey.

I'd look for the Little XII to scramble to add some schools. Snatching up TCU would be a great move forward. They're going to want 12 schools to maintain a CCG, cuz that means more $$.
Read this article and focus on one word: Months.
A source close to the Pac-10's expansion negotiations told The Denver Post that Texas insisted on better revenue sharing and its own network, which essentially killed the deal.

"In the 11th hour, after months of telling us they understand the TV rights, they're trying to pull a fast one on the verge of sealing the deal in the regents meeting," the source said. "They want a better revenue sharing deal and their own network. Those were points of principle. (The Pac-10) wants to treat everyone fairly. It's been that way for months of discussions."
LINK
The whole article is read-worthy, but that's a pretty damning paragraph.

Stewart Mandel has had some interesting tidbits on his Twitter page today. Most notably, this one:
Unbelievable. The five "leftovers" (KU, KSU, ISU, BU, Mizzou) agreed to sign over their share of CU/NU's buyout money to UT/OU/A&M.
"When I was a kid, my father told me, 'Never hit anyone in anger, unless you're absolutely sure you can get away with it.'" - Russel Ziskey
Tyek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Tyekk
PSN ID: Tyek

Post by Tyek »

Xatrei wrote:
Gzette wrote:I feel dirty about this whole debacle. My alma mater was much more concerned with $$ than anything else throughout this entire deal. As were all other schools, but with UT at the forefront of this story I feel somewhat ashamed.

Read this article and focus on one word: Months.
A source close to the Pac-10's expansion negotiations told The Denver Post that Texas insisted on better revenue sharing and its own network, which essentially killed the deal.

"In the 11th hour, after months of telling us they understand the TV rights, they're trying to pull a fast one on the verge of sealing the deal in the regents meeting," the source said. "They want a better revenue sharing deal and their own network. Those were points of principle. (The Pac-10) wants to treat everyone fairly. It's been that way for months of discussions."
LINK
The whole article is read-worthy, but that's a pretty damning paragraph.

Stewart Mandel has had some interesting tidbits on his Twitter page today. Most notably, this one:
Unbelievable. The five "leftovers" (KU, KSU, ISU, BU, Mizzou) agreed to sign over their share of CU/NU's buyout money to UT/OU/A&M.

So to all you Texas fans who gave Notre Dame shit over the years FUCK YOU. I hope your program dies and you have nothing (like what happened to ND). I wish those 5 programs would leave now to the WAC and form a 16 team conference and screw your program as much as you have screwed with them
When I was younger, I used to think that the world was doing it to me and that the world owes me some thing…When you're a teeny bopper, that's what you think. I'm 40 now, I don't think that anymore, because I found out it doesn't f--king work. One has to go through that. For the people who even bother to go through that, most assholes just accept what it is anyway and get on with it." - John Lennon
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

huh? I've never seen a Texas fan talking shit about ND. I am still glad that Texas is not going to the Pac10.
Tyek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Tyekk
PSN ID: Tyek

Post by Tyek »

Boogahz wrote:huh? I've never seen a Texas fan talking shit about ND. I am still glad that Texas is not going to the Pac10.
I have seen many people, on here and elsewhere bitch about the ND television contract. Texas proved they were just as greedy and deserve the same level of scorn.
When I was younger, I used to think that the world was doing it to me and that the world owes me some thing…When you're a teeny bopper, that's what you think. I'm 40 now, I don't think that anymore, because I found out it doesn't f--king work. One has to go through that. For the people who even bother to go through that, most assholes just accept what it is anyway and get on with it." - John Lennon
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

um, yeah, right.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: miir1

Post by miir »

I have no idea what you guys are even talking about beyond the that it's US college football.
This thread is totally fucking bizarre to someone who doesn't follow it. :D
I've got 99 problems and I'm not dealing with any of them - Lay-Z
Sabek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: sabek

Post by Sabek »

Winnow wrote:
Ashur wrote:
Yes, he DID say football...
I said "at least" because this thread was about conference moves (entire schools) not just the football teams.

Gooooo Devils!
You kid yourself if you think these moves have anything at all to do with anything but revenues generated by football.
i.e. Kansas, one of the best basketball schools in the country, was going to get left.
Sabek
Just Sabek
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

miir wrote:I have no idea what you guys are even talking about beyond the that it's US college football.

All you need to know is that Texas A&M has male cheerleaders and is the root cause for all the problems in College Football right now.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

Aggies are the root cause for a lot of things. Most are not good.
Kluden
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kluden »

Those other schools should never have cowered like they did...its embarrassing. Should have just left the conference and texas all by itself with their sweet TV deal. instead, they get nothing out of it. They give their money to the bully, and come back tomorrow with more money to give to him again. Unbelievably spineless.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

Yeah, the Pac10 shouldn't have tried to go cherry-picking teams from the conference based on how much money they could bring into their conference either. This was about nothing but money from their side as well, even though people here seem to forget that. There was very little that could have been positive coming out of spreading a conference out that far unless you start talking about the money from television deals stretching across almost half of the country.
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Canelek

Post by Canelek »

Boogahz wrote:Aggies are the root cause for a lot of things. Most are not good.
Agreed!

I miss the old 80s SWC when the Razorbacks would beat the Aggies. Was a great rivalry.

:)

Oh, and PAC-10 totally loses here. Colorado and Utah ain't no Texas, etc...
en kærlighed småkager
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Canelek

Post by Canelek »

miir wrote:I have no idea what you guys are even talking about beyond the that it's US college football.
Oh, and we aren't even talking BCS (Bowl Championship Series) here...that is where things get totally fucked.

That said, college football is quite the interesting phenomenon here, and has been for years. It is crazy!
en kærlighed småkager
Ashur
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Ashur »

I think we need something like those Scandinavian cartoons Kwon posted, but with College Football Mascots to explain it.

EDIT: Found one! (Texas-Centric and NSFW!)

http://www.shaggybevo.com/board/showthr ... n-MS-Paint
Last edited by Ashur on June 16, 2010, 11:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Ash
Xatrei
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Xatrei »

Couldn't we just use Finland as UT?
"When I was a kid, my father told me, 'Never hit anyone in anger, unless you're absolutely sure you can get away with it.'" - Russel Ziskey
Sabek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: sabek

Post by Sabek »

Does anyone not think PAC-10 looks like a big joke in the realignment sweepstakes?
PAC-10 wrote:We are getting the six best teams from the Big XII. We are the super conference! BOW TO US!
PAC-10 wrote:Umm we got Colorado and Utah, but that's still pretty cool.
:lol:
Sabek
Just Sabek
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

Well, Utah has been doing well lately......
masteen
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by masteen »

The PAC-12 will still get a conference championship payday out of their offseason ambitions.

Utah is the hottest non-BCS school entering a BCS conference with the traditional big dog on probation.

Colorado went from being the odd man out geographically (and being extorted by Texas for that privilege) to completing a rocky mountain daisy chain.

It's hard to find a loser in any of that.
"There is at least as much need to curb the cruel greed and arrogance of part of the world of capital, to curb the cruel greed and violence of part of the world of labor, as to check a cruel and unhealthy militarism in international relationships." -Theodore Roosevelt
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

I would have liked to see the Texas schools in the Pac...but fuck those UT greedy bastards! And fuck those other pussy schools for giving their cash to UT.

Colorado and Utah will have to do. They aren't "big name" traditional football schools but times change...he'll, Michigan's losing to AA teams...Irish suck...Miami blows...time for some new teams to head to the top...could end up being someone new.
Kluden
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kluden »

Actually, it looks like Texas is refusing to accept the money proffered to them by the Big12 Survivors, and UT is requesting it goes into a conference pull fund as just in case money. And here I thought UT was all out of steers...
masteen
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by masteen »

That money will be used to pay Texas' fee for leaving the conference next year.
"There is at least as much need to curb the cruel greed and arrogance of part of the world of capital, to curb the cruel greed and violence of part of the world of labor, as to check a cruel and unhealthy militarism in international relationships." -Theodore Roosevelt