E3 2010

Get off the damn computer, and play with your TV, it misses you!

Moderators: Funkmasterr, noel

Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Re: E3 2010

Post by Funkmasterr »

Yeah, here is my history:

Bought first one, a Premium. It went in about 6 months after I got it, and twice more after that. When the elites came out I sold my friend my premium and bought the Elite. Had it for about 6 months and it broke. I'm on my second or third elite since I got it, can't remember for sure.

I mean realistically I'm gonna buy one, I'm not gonna have 90 games sitting on my shelf that are entirely worthless, and there's no way I could bring myself to sell them.. I'm just so sick of it.

Going forward I'm probably going to start buying more cross platform games on the PS3.
Niffoni
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Niffoni »

Might give a shit about the xbox slim after a price drop if there was a way to transfer save games over from my 20 gig. Would like to be able to actually install games.

Go figure the thing won't even obligingly break to give me an excuse.
Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable, let's prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all. - Douglas Adams
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

I have an original xbox, first run but opened it up, loosened the X-backing thingy, applied better thermal paste to the CPU and GPUs, cut out the back grill for better air flow, etc. No idea if it would have failed or not if left in it's original stat. Besides sounding like a jet airplane, it's been great.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Post by Fairweather Pure »

I have 2 elites. The first one got RRoD, no problems with the second one yet. They are both loud as fuck. Thankfully, neither one makes any noise when playing games from the HD, so it's not an issue.

I also have wireless adapters for both of them. Fuck.

Microsoft's E3 was pretty disappointing. Sony better not suck too, but I see a lot of Move and fudged sales figures incoming :(
Kilmoll the Sexy
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: bunkeru2k

Post by Kilmoll the Sexy »

Niffoni wrote:Might give a shit about the xbox slim after a price drop if there was a way to transfer save games over from my 20 gig. Would like to be able to actually install games.

There is a pretty fast easy transfer feature they have for transferring save files from one drive to a new one.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

With the newest dashboard can't you also just use a usb flash drive for doing that? I haven't messed with it myself so not sure.

Anyway, seeing as how they just announced it I'm sure it will be a long time before a price drop happens.
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Niffoni
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Niffoni »

Kilmoll the Sexy wrote:
Niffoni wrote:Might give a shit about the xbox slim after a price drop if there was a way to transfer save games over from my 20 gig. Would like to be able to actually install games.

There is a pretty fast easy transfer feature they have for transferring save files from one drive to a new one.
Kind of hoping they drop the price of the ripoff drives, since the new slims seem to run a different kind. They come with transfer cables I guess. I doubt the new xbox itself does though. Is there another place to get the cables? Or is there another way to transfer?
Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable, let's prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all. - Douglas Adams
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

http://kotaku.com/5563448/how-to-transf ... w-xbox-360

People with the outgoing model will be able to transfer their data to a USB stick, ferrying it from one console to the next. Both versions of the console have USB ports, making such a transfer fairly simple. But If you have many Gigabytes of data on your current 360 — or a stick that doesn't hold much data — that solution won't be much help.

The alternate solution us to use the existing Xbox 360 transfer cable which connects Xbox 360 harddrives to the destination console's USB port. Plugging the transfer cable in will allow the data transfer. The cable runs will run you about $19.

--
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

That was the best Nintendo E3 in ages. A few surprises and the same 5 games they remake over and over, but I still liked it more than Microsoft's presentation.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

I concur. Other than the Zelda presentation that went on way too long and having both the Japanese and English dudes talking at the same time which made it hard to understand in spots. Not really sold on the 3DS though but I'd probably have to see one in person.

--
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Anirask
PSN ID: Anirask

Post by Animalor »

Playstation Move - 80$ for both units (move and offhand thingy)
90$ for a started kit that has both pieces and a camera.

If you want a 4 player game, that's 200$ of hardware just for the wand, another 80 for the offhand thingy.

At least with the Kinect, you only need 1 unit.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: miir1

Post by miir »

That's gotaa be the absolute lamest justification for an overpriced, useless piece of crap.
I've got 99 problems and I'm not dealing with any of them - Lay-Z
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Animalor »

Now now.. No need to be so hard on Move.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

miir wrote:That's gotaa be the absolute lamest justification for an overpriced, useless piece of crap.
How so? You were making fun of the Kinect price yet having to buy multiple Move controllers (they have buttons!) will cost you the same, if not more than the $150 price of Kinect. I'm not interested in either but I think it's a valid point.

--
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Animalor »

Aside from the snide commenting, there are some PSP games where I'm probably going to pick up.

Oooh.. they're talking about the paid PSN now.
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Animalor »

They got the pricing right. 49$ a year. You get early access to Demos and Betas. Some full PSN games and more.

You lose the free stuff once you stop paying.

Qore is thrown in. Stop paying, you lose everything.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

I thought he said $3 a month. But I wasn't really paying attention.

--
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Animalor »

Aslanna wrote:I thought he said $3 a month. But I wasn't really paying attention.
I thought I heard that too but he clearly said 49$/yr prior to that.
We'll find out soon enough.

All in all a much better conference than MS in regards to the game I enjoy. A lot of the stuff they are showing is multi-platform though.
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Animalor »

ROFL. Gabe Newell on stage at the Sony presser.

That was unexpected.
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Animalor »

Gabe Mentionned that Portal 2 on the PS3 would use Steam/SteamCloud. I wonder if this means that the game will forgo the PSN altogether or connect to Steam through the PSN.
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Animalor »

Didn't watch the Nintendo presser but Sony by far had more of the games I'm interested in on display today.

A decent showing overall.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Sony's was the best IMO. I still need more info on the premium service before I bite. Patching existing games to work with the move controller is a fantastic idea. Packaging Dead Space Extraction with Dead Space 2 is also a great idea.

Hmmmm. +1 for Move over Kinect for me. Will wait on more hands on reviews for both.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Most of the Sony presentation I was bored.. 3D.. Move.. PSP.. Don't care! The Sly Collection was the only thing that looked interesting. And they attacked MS and Nintendo a bit too much imo. At least the Nintendo presentation they focused on their own shit and not what everyone else was doing.

PSN+ I'm still undecided on. I doubt I'd pay for that.

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Warhammer 40K:

http://kotaku.com/5563449/finally-a-goo ... er-40k-mmo

10 fold better than WoW?
Lynks
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: launchpad1979

Post by Lynks »

Looks exactly like WoW but with guns and fire.

I'm highly looking forward to Gears 3 with the 4 player co-op. About time but do 2 of the characters have to be women? :p
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Seriously winnow, you need to tone it down a notch. Being an annoyance isn't something to be proud of, contrary to what you clearly believe to be true.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Aslanna wrote:Most of the Sony presentation I was bored.. 3D.. Move.. PSP.. Don't care! The Sly Collection was the only thing that looked interesting. And they attacked MS and Nintendo a bit too much imo. At least the Nintendo presentation they focused on their own shit and not what everyone else was doing.

PSN+ I'm still undecided on. I doubt I'd pay for that.
I'm thoroughly disappointed in PSN+. I figured it would be a granted that they would add features to make it more like Xbox Live, like party chat, parties cross game, etc. I don't know why Sony doesn't feel they need to do that kind of shit. I was planning on making my PS3 my primary console going forward if they did that but I'll be sticking with the xbox now.
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Animalor »

PSN+ is enticing if only for the free games while you are paying for the service. I don't particularly need a patch queing service and I already get early access to demos thanks to Xbox Live. (PS3 Exclusives non-withstanding of course).

Frankly if multiplayer was ripped out of Xbox Live's charge and offered for free, I wouldn't pay for that either but what can you do.

I'm positive they will find a lot of takers with this. I'm definately going to try the free 3 months to see if I can find value to this.
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: mp72

Post by Sylvus »

"It's like these guys take pride in being ignorant." - Barack Obama

Go Blue!
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

That 40k MMO is still 2 years away but I'm impressed with what I saw in the trailer. No UI shown so they seem to be playing thier cards pretty close to thier chest at this stage in development.

The Space Marine console game looks like fun too, but they didn't even give a release window for that one.

Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZnfniAbzYX8
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Here is a link to the NeoGAF E3 thread. The second posts lists every game shown and thier respective link and trailers. It's just easier to link to them rather than redo all that myself here :P It's worth a look for all the trailers and games you may have missed or didn't even know existed.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=397455
Soreali
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Dyerseve 1321

Post by Soreali »

Best part of the conference right here..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGZbJlps ... r_embedded
Timmah.

miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: miir1

Post by miir »

That Kevin Butler/It Only Does Everything ad campaign is all kinds of awesome.
I've got 99 problems and I'm not dealing with any of them - Lay-Z
Siji
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: mAcK 624
PSN ID: mAcK_624
Wii Friend Code: 7304853446448491

Post by Siji »

With my Wii motion stuff I can do it sitting or standing..

With PS3's move stuff you can do it sitting or standing..

With XBOX 360's Kinect stuff you can do it.. standing. Oh fuck off.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Siji wrote:With my Wii motion stuff I can do it sitting or standing..

With PS3's move stuff you can do it sitting or standing..

With XBOX 360's Kinect stuff you can do it.. standing. Oh fuck off.
You can do SOME Wii/Move things standing. Honestly I don't see what everyone is making a big deal about. It's a "motion controller" it's not meant to be used sitting down. They already make controllers for that.

--
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Animalor »

You will be able use Kinect while sitting - http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/109/1099746p1.html

Aaron Greenberg on Kinect Pricing courtesy of Twitter - http://twitter.com/aarongreenberg/status/16420240796
No Kinect price announced yet, retail price estimates are purely speculative, final price & pack-in details are not yet determined
Siji
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: mAcK 624
PSN ID: mAcK_624
Wii Friend Code: 7304853446448491

Post by Siji »

That's good to hear, but since we've only been able to use Kinect standing up so far it looks like Microsoft is still working on making it usable in the sitting position.
Believe it when I see it.. This is Microsoft we're talking about.
It's a "motion controller" it's not meant to be used sitting down. They already make controllers for that.
Perhaps because a couple of the games they're demoing it for are racing games.. who wants to play a racing game standing up?
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Is it bad that in the past few months I've developed a severe intolerance for laziness and fat people?
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Siji wrote:
It's a "motion controller" it's not meant to be used sitting down. They already make controllers for that.
Perhaps because a couple of the games they're demoing it for are racing games.. who wants to play a racing game standing up?
The same people who don't want to use a standard controller I suppose. I'm sure the games will incorporate more than simple steering left and right with your hands. You'll probably have to move your feet or your body in some way as well.

If you can't do simple things like control the UI while sitting then yeah that's a limitation. If you can't play games designed to not be used while sitting when you're sitting there's no limitation there. I just see this as a non-issue.

--
Leonaerd
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Leonaerd »

Funkmasterr wrote:Is it bad that in the past few months I've developed a severe intolerance for laziness and fat people?
Fatties cost America $40,000,000,000.00 a year.
Syenye
Almost 1337
Almost 1337
XBL Gamertag: asian tempest

Post by Syenye »

I got one of the new 360s today. I had been holding off buying an elite in hopes of a slimmer form factor. When I opened it, I flipped the fuck out because it only came with a composite cable, and I didn't notice the HDMI port. I didn't have a spare HDMI cable, but the component cables that came with the original boxes work as well.

The new one is far quieter, shinier, and it has really cool non buttons. I'm having a bit of buyer's remorse though, since my old one was fine.

Kotaku has an article breaking down Gamestop's trade in prices on the old boxes:
http://kotaku.com/5567148/how-to-trade+ ... 360-for-90

I transferred all my save games and some of my DLC using a flash drive without any problems. Just make sure to transfer your licenses as well: http://www.xbox.com/drm.
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Animalor »

I'm planning on trading in my out of warranty, 2006 20GB Pro for the new hawtness once it hits EB up here.
Kluden
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kluden »

It would be way to big of a hit to trade in a hdmi pro for this, so I'll just pick up a wireless adapter and live with it. Besides, I would rather use the money on a ps3.
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Animalor »

Did the trade-in this morning.

Traded an old 2006 Xbox 360 pro with an HDD and a couple of games I got for cheap(Bought Dark Void for 10$ on Amazon.ca and got 25$ trade-in credit back from EB for it. Same with Halo Wars.
Walked out with a 250GB 360 slim and all I paid for it was 130$.

Frankly, that 360 was getting louder and louder, was completely out of warranty and was probably a couple of month from dying outright. For the price of 1 warranty repair, I land with the new hawtness and a completely new warranty and an extra 230GB of HDD space.

I call this a win.
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Animalor »

This thing is so incredibly quiet compared to my old, 2006-era, HDMI-less Xenon model. It's absolutely incredible.
Dregor Thule
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Xathlak
PSN ID: dregor77

Post by Dregor Thule »

Kinect I think is a bigger step in a new direction for gaming than the Wii was, but I think it's also got some serious drawbacks. For non-standard "games" like dancing or fitness it looks like it'll be a big hit. That Ubisoft fitness program looks pretty awesome, and how the system tracks your movement, being able to analyze posture and such, is pretty crazy. But it's not a game.

I can see 6 months after release they'll come out with a small controller with an analog stick and trigger for movement in games. They almost have to if they want to make serious games with the tech. Either way it's not really for me, but I can sure see how some people would be very excited about it.
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Animalor »

Kinect picks up objects you are holding pretty well. Just look at the your shape demo when the UBI Marketing Rep was waving her cardigan on camera. The thing picked up ever movement that shirt made without skipping a beat.
Dregor Thule
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Xathlak
PSN ID: dregor77

Post by Dregor Thule »

Yeah, but that wasn't really what I was talking about. Right now I can see only on-rail games or ones with gimmicky "movement" ie. the Star Wars game where the character force moves up after each encounter. It's very obviously a problem when it comes to a controllerless game. And I sure as shit know I don't want to have to walk/run on the spot every time I want to move a character.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

miir wrote:
Aslanna wrote:Maybe. It's hard to tell based on that. Basically a bunch of cutscenes pasted into a trailer with very little gameplay shown.
Sounds like MGS!
It's bound to be a hit!!
[/quote]

Have seen a bit more on it (Enslaved: Odyssey to the West) and it actually looks like something I'd give a try. Not convinced to pay full price though but probably in the <$40 range if the review are decent enough.

--