Game Trade In's -> Best Value?

Get off the damn computer, and play with your TV, it misses you!

Moderators: Funkmasterr, noel

Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Canelek

Game Trade In's -> Best Value?

Post by Canelek »

I see that Amazon.com has a trade in programme now. Obviously, the values drop quite a bit--but it's not like every single damn game has oodles of replay power(or even single play, in some cases).

Any other places/online stores have a better deal? I like that with Amazon, you can print out a shipping label for free UPS. I need to go through my library and make a big ass pile of shit to trade in.
en kærlighed småkager
Sabek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: sabek

Re: Game Trade In's -> Best Value?

Post by Sabek »

I have not done it, but I know if you have Gamefly you can trade in games towards the monthly fee for the rentals.
Sabek
Just Sabek
Aevian Dreaklear
Gets Around
Gets Around
XBL Gamertag: Bisky Campst

Post by Aevian Dreaklear »

Occasionally Gamestop has real good trade in values for major release games. For the life of me, I can't remember what the deal was exactly, but I think it was 3 games plus $20 for Modern Warfare 2. I believe I traded in MW1, Left 4 Dead, and Halo 3 for the game. I think they did something similar for L4D2. When MW2 was coming out, I wouldn't really have a need for any of the games as I had planned on getting L4D2 later on anyways.

Sometimes the more games you trade in, the extra bonus you get. Like trade in 3 games, get an extra 30% on your trade in value. If you plan on trading in games a lot, I think you can find better places than Gamestop, but worth a look depending on what you want and what kind of special they are running.
Siji
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: mAcK 624
PSN ID: mAcK_624
Wii Friend Code: 7304853446448491

Post by Siji »

Going forward I won't ever use GameStop to trade in games again. The prices are just dumb. A few days after Splinter Cell: Conviction came out, they were only offering around $25 for it. I'll be using eBay myself.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: miir1

Post by miir »

Siji wrote:Going forward I won't ever use GameStop to trade in games again. The prices are just dumb. A few days after Splinter Cell: Conviction came out, they were only offering around $25 for it. I'll be using eBay myself.
Their regular trade-in prices can be pretty bad.
Just wait for a promo to get max value for your games.
I've got 99 problems and I'm not dealing with any of them - Lay-Z
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Aevian Dreaklear wrote:Occasionally Gamestop has real good trade in values for major release games. For the life of me, I can't remember what the deal was exactly, but I think it was 3 games plus $20 for Modern Warfare 2.
So basically getting $13 and change for a game is "real good"? No wonder GameStop loves the used goods business. I'd rather just keep the games I buy then feel like I was getting ripped off.

If anyone wants to sell games to me for $13 let me know!
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Post by Fairweather Pure »

I hate Gamestop so much, I wouldn't trade with them no matter how good a deal they were offering. I don't even step foot in there anymore. Not even to window shop.

I always smile and chuckle whenever I buy a game at Best Buy and they want to sell me 5$ scratch insurance on my games. Are they fucking serious? Do people really buy that? My games go from case to system and back. All cases stay on a shelf that is dusted twice a week like the rest of my home. I'm pretty anal retentive so all my stuff is in mint condition. That's one of the major reasons I cannot buy used games. Well, that and stickers.

I just keep all my games. The return would be minimal at best. If I really wanted to sell them, I would do Craigslist or sell them to Aslanna for 13$.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: miir1

Post by miir »

When I factor in trade-in values and rarely paying full price for a game, I worked it out that I pay on average $18 per game.
Most of my trade-ins go to Gamestop.

That's not even counting the games purchases that I share with co-workers.
I've got 99 problems and I'm not dealing with any of them - Lay-Z
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

I think I will give Amazon's program a try. I'll list them out here first in case someone wants to buy cheap. I need to inventory what I have first...
en kærlighed småkager
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Post by Funkmasterr »

I don't trade games in. I have in the past (I traded in my NES and like 175 games when the SNES came out, fml) and always regret it, plus the values are insulting. I've got friends who will trade in a bunch of games to buy a new one when it comes out, personally if I can't afford the game I just won't buy it.

The only downside of this is I'm running out of places to put frickin games. I've got like 80-90 for the 360 and like 10-15 each for the PS3 and Wii.
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

I hear ya--it is as bad or worse than the old CD-trade-in days.

I don't need the money--I just treat it as a coupon towards my next purchase. Some shit I bought on impulse, like the MLB game that I have 0 interest in playing. :)
en kærlighed småkager
Siji
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: mAcK 624
PSN ID: mAcK_624
Wii Friend Code: 7304853446448491

Post by Siji »

I'll never understand people that would rather get nothing than something for an item that they're getting absolutely no use out of. Ooo.. you're keeping all your unused games collecting dust on the shelf - you sure showed them! There are multiple options for getting rid of your junk that someone else may have a desire for.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Post by Fairweather Pure »

Siji wrote:I'll never understand people that would rather get nothing than something for an item that they're getting absolutely no use out of. Ooo.. you're keeping all your unused games collecting dust on the shelf - you sure showed them! There are multiple options for getting rid of your junk that someone else may have a desire for.
I find your condecending tone a bit odd. Who is claiming some sort of victory over not selling their games?

People hold onto physical items for a variety of reasons. So what?
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

If you can't understand it there's probably no point in trying to explain. People like to hold onto shit that's just the way it is. It's not about "showing them" anything. How many books do people have they'll only read once? How many DVDs do people own they'll only watch once? I don't see why games would be any different.

What I don't understand is why people who just sell games when they are done with them just don't rent them instead.
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--