Apple - New Phone and Tablet

Support, Discussion, Reviews
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Canelek

Re: Apple - New Phone and Tablet

Post by Canelek »

This guy would win the fashion contest at the Mac Store though....

en kærlighed småkager
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

iPad Reviews are looking good:
The first iPad reviews are in and so far they're sounding pretty great with very few reservations. Here are the highlights of what the early reviewers are saying:

The WSJ's Walt Mossberg is in love with the iPad's interface and design:
The iPad is an advance in making more-sophisticated computing possible via a simple touch interface on a slender, light device. Only time will tell if it's a real challenger to the laptop and netbook.
USA Today's Edward Baig was impressed:
Apple has pretty much nailed it with this first iPad, though there's certainly room for improvement. Nearly three years after making a splash with the iPhone, Apple has delivered another impressive product that largely lives up to the hype.
NYT's David Pogue was sure to clarify just where the device excels:
The iPad is not a laptop. It's not nearly as good for creating stuff. On the other hand, it's infinitely more convenient for consuming it - books, music, video, photos, Web, e-mail and so on. For most people, manipulating these digital materials directly by touching them is a completely new experience - and a deeply satisfying one.
PC Mag's Tim Gideon also realizes the iPad's limitations, but praises it nonetheless:
Is the iPad a perfect product? No. And the omissions will give the anti-Apple crowd plenty of ammo. Why do I need this extra device that's not a full-fledged laptop? Where's the camera? What about Flash? Um, how about multitasking? These are all valid complaints, but one thing I can say about most Apple products, and certainly the iPad: There may be things it doesn't do, but what it does do, it does remarkably well. Aside from the aforementioned limitations, there isn't a lot else to gripe about. And to my great surprise, you can actually get real work done with the iPad.
The Houston Chronicle's Bob "Dr. Mac" LeVitus agrees with our thoughts that the iPad is a whole new category of mobile devices:
It turns out the iPad isn't as much a laptop replacement as I thought (though it could easily be used as one). Instead, it's an entirely new category of mobile device. For example, now when I want to surf the Web from the couch or back deck, the iPad is the device I choose. Starbucks? Same thing. Think of the iPad as a new arrow in your technology quiver, an arrow that will often be the best tool for a given task.

I had high expectations for the iPad, and it has met or exceeded most of them.
BoingBoing's Xeni Jardin was thinking ahead while trying out the device:
Maybe the most exciting thing about iPad is the apps that aren't here yet. The book-film-game hybrid someone will bust out in a year, redefining the experience of each, and suggesting some new nouns and verbs in the process. Or an augmented reality lens from NASA that lets you hold the thing up to the sky and pinpoint where the ISS is, next to what constellation, read the names and see the faces of the crew members, check how those fuel cells are holding up.

I like it a lot. But it's the things I never knew it made possible - to be revealed or not in the coming months - that will determine whether I love it.
The Chicago Sun-Times' Andy Ihnatko thought the iPad lived up to all the excitement and hype:
The iPad user experience is instantly compelling and elegant. It's not every computer and every function. It's a computer that's designed for speed, mobility, and tactile interaction above all other considerations.
The Root's Omar Wasow thinks the iPad has something for everyone:
Apple pulled off a remarkable balancing act in that it has designed the iPad in such a way that in can simultaneously appeal to both newbies and nerds. For low-tech users looking for an affordable entry-level PC, the iPad is a computer without all the distractions. [...] For the tech-savvy with $500 to drop on a gadget, the iPad offers a convenient way to consume and enjoy digital media without being tethered to a computer all day.
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Anirask
PSN ID: Anirask

Post by Animalor »

90% of those guys are permanantly fixated to Steve Job's teet. I'll wait for saturday when the level-headed tech media get their hands on it and can give it a proper handling.

Let's face it, if any of these guys were to potentially give this thing a bad review, they would not have been given review units. That's just the way Apple rolls.

(BTW- Have you ever listened to Andy Ihnatko on MacBreak Weekly on the TWIT network. He's pretty close to being as fanboyish as they get.)
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

I'm not expecting miracles with the iPad. I know it will fulfill my basic needs of being a great ebook reader and comic book reader. My other expectations for the device are that it function well for casual internet browsing and function well as a media playing device. I'm also into podcasts and video podcasts will look great on this thing.

It will do so much more than that though. I'm also not expecting to take it outside of my home. I have an iPhone for that that fits in my pocket and will soon have much improved resolution and speed with the 4.0 generation.

I said earlier in this post. Lets look back at this in one year and see how many people have either the iPad or another tablet.
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

Did you get yours yet?

When the price drops substantially, I can totally see this as an awesome universal remote w/additional jukebox GUI for home media control center--in addition to its current utility. Would require some hax0r though.

I'll lol when I see someone hauling this thing around outdoors though! BELTCLIPFTW :D
en kærlighed småkager
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Canelek wrote:Did you get yours yet?
Release date is April 3rd (Saturday)

Here's review overview:

http://gizmodo.com/5507037/ipad-mega-me ... -surprises
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Nice non fanboish overview video review of the iPad

http://vimeo.com/10595371?hd=1
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Post by Fairweather Pure »

I'll be out and about on Saturday with my wife. I think Best Buy is suppossed to have 15 per store or something like that. If they have one when I go, I'll buy it. If not, no big deal.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Fairweather Pure wrote:I'll be out and about on Saturday with my wife. I think Best Buy is suppossed to have 15 per store or something like that. If they have one when I go, I'll buy it. If not, no big deal.

From what I've read, Best Buy is getting about 7-8K total

That breaks down to around 10-15 per store.

I hope I don't have to wait hours in a line. If I can wait 2 hours until 11am and just stroll in and buy my iPad instead of sitting in a line, I'll do that. I'll take some pics if any retarded activities are taking place while I'm there.

I wonder how many are suffering from PIS. Pre iPad Symtoms! ~24 hours before I'm on the iPad!
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

You may try calling ahead and seeing if Best Buy will hold one for you. Doubtful due to the hype, but I have had them hold a Canon G11 camera for me when they launched last year. It was the only one I could find in town!

Doesn't hurt to try. :)
en kærlighed småkager
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Letterman: "What the hell is it?"

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/10 ... ht_tv.html

Letterman makes fun of the iPad : )
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Besides the actual comics being too expensive, the Marvel iPad app looks cool:

http://gizmodo.com/5507860/reading-comi ... s-ipad-app

Anyone familiar with Comixology's Comic App will know how well it works.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

They should charge a monthly fee and let people read all the comics they want.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Fairweather Pure wrote:They should charge a monthly fee and let people read all the comics they want.
I think they'll figure that out soon enough although they probably are still thinking with a collector's mentality where people would want to keep the comics. $2 is too much. $1 would work. Other Comic Publishers went with 1-1.50.

Comixology offers several free comics each month from publishers that want you to get hooked. Marvel's offering a few freebies at launch as well. Hopefully they continue to offer a free comic here and there to help people get comfortable with the format.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Cool elements chart for the iPad:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPUWbVLzVZI
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

4 player iPad game:

http://radiolaris.com/brokenradiogames/ ... index.html

each person controls a corner of the iPad

Looks simple but fun. Looks like grabbing the 100 point stars first is the key!

This is a nice hands on review:
Manic, nonstop use revealed a number of things: battery life is better than I anticipated. I got a full day of constant internet-connected use (it did not leave my hands) on one charge. More than 12 hours, with heavy video and gaming, and screen cranked up to full brightness.
http://www.boingboing.net/2010/03/31/a- ... -ipad.html

Shows some of the accessories.

I already have an Apple Bluetooth keyboard that came with the iMac I can use with it.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Initial impression of my new iPad: Badass

-heavier than I imagined it would be
-extremely responsive (fast)
-speaker plenty loud
-screen, dazzling (super crisp, pictures/videos look outstanding)

I have the iPad sync'd to my iMac so I don't screw up the jailbreak for my iPhone (have to use newer jailbreaking version of iTunes atm)

eBook reader: very very nice. So fast/smooth/easy. no issues with led back lit screen. Easy to adjust brightness. eBook readers will love this thing.

Apple accessories are super overpriced. I paid 29.00 for a little plastic stand that can't cost more than 5.00, most likely more like 2.50 to make. The stand charges but didn't come with cable. Have to use cable that came with iPad. Apple Employees were pushing accessories and services very hard although not being rude. While I did stand in line for about 30 mins, the line for people that didn't reserve an iPad was very long so it looks like any spare iPads will definitely be sold today.

Highly recommend not buying anything but the actual iPad from Apple and then go search for third party accessories.

Writing this on PC but the internet surfing experience is much better on the iPad than the iPhone (size/speed obvious reasons)

Will write more later after have a chance to find the flaws and grab some apps to play with. So far, extremely pleased. Speed and ease of use are excellent.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

I grabbed a 64G version today. So far it's pretty impressive IMO. Very responsive. The touch tech shines on this thing. I've already got a couple of movies on there (Nightmare Before Xmas, Watchmen), wedding photos, and I'm about to import some music. I have a shit ton of apps to DL as well. I already have Plantrs vs Zombies HD, but will likely get Geomotry Wars 2 as well. Hell, I might get C&C Red Alert and Civ too. Of course, then I have to set up bookmarks and all that jazz. I may even DL a few books just to see what this can do as far as being a handy eReader.

I have a fun night ahead of me, that's for sure!

I didn't buy any accessories.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Fairweather Pure wrote:I grabbed a 64G version today. So far it's pretty impressive IMO. Very responsive. The touch tech shines on this thing. I've already got a couple of movies on there (Nightmare Before Xmas, Watchmen), wedding photos, and I'm about to import some music. I have a shit ton of apps to DL as well. I already have Plantrs vs Zombies HD, but will likely get Geomotry Wars 2 as well. Hell, I might get C&C Red Alert and Civ too. Of course, then I have to set up bookmarks and all that jazz. I may even DL a few books just to see what this can do as far as being a handy eReader.

I have a fun night ahead of me, that's for sure!

I didn't buy any accessories.
There's 30k free ebooks so no need to buy to try.

Try out the Marvel Comics app. It rocks. There's 6 free comics to grab to play around with. It's outstanding. I love both the full page view and the cell to cell transition view. I'm also loving this autocorrect typing feature that i don't use in my iPhone.

The wireless n combined with speedy memory and processor on this thing make it so snappy. The apps designed for the iPad also really show great use of the extra screen size. IMDB, for one, is great. ABC's free app is great as well. Just about all the major network shows are avail for free with great interfaces for the pad.very impressed so far. Non stop usage and im at 75% battery still. It's been about 5 hours. Been trying it out in bed for several hours. I'm officially approving it as he best sick day device ever. Soooo glad they included a hard key screen rotation switch/lock. I use it a lot.

Lots more playing to do but this thing is definitely a winner which will win over skeptics when they get a chance to use it and when they have the cash to buy it. I'm ulitmate sloth-lazy multiscreen enabled! I'm playing on pad with iPhone yahoo chat up as well.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Playing with it non-stop for the past 4 hours and it's still at 59% battery. That's with brightness at 100% and volume maxxed. I put more movies (Dark Knight, Hellboy 2, and Wanted) on it to show off the movie player. Very nice. I'm DLing Elements right now and will check that out later. Pretty pricey, but it looks like a great way to show off multiple aspects of the iPad.

The weirdest thing is going back to looking at my iPhone. Fucking strange feeling looking at the tiny screen. I was not prepared for that odd sensation.

The more I use it, the more I love it. I hate to gush, but this thing is fucking awesome. I was prepared for, well, a big iPhone. The way the applications use the real estate and incorporate new features really does make it a whole other ball game.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Fairweather Pure wrote:Playing with it non-stop for the past 4 hours and it's still at 59% battery. That's with brightness at 100% and volume maxxed. I put more movies (Dark Knight, Hellboy 2, and Wanted) on it to show off the movie player. Very nice. I'm DLing Elements right now and will check that out later. Pretty pricey, but it looks like a great way to show off multiple aspects of the iPad.

The weirdest thing is going back to looking at my iPhone. Fucking strange feeling looking at the tiny screen. I was not prepared for that odd sensation.

The more I use it, the more I love it. I hate to gush, but this thing is fucking awesome. I was prepared for, well, a big iPhone. The way the applications use the real estate and incorporate new features really does make it a whole other ball game.
Hmm, interesting. I'm at 52% battery, closing in on 8 hours non stop use. I suppose I'm using less video than you. I just read that this thing has stereo speakers. Don't know how much it helps with the speakers so close but the audio is powerful coming out of it.

I agree the extra screen size is huge. Pandora makes good use of the extra space. The way the news articles/photos/videos are presented to you in apps like AP, Yahoo Entertainment, NPR, etc is unique to the iPad. You don't get that on a regular PC. very cool. WeatherBug is another cool app.

Smiles HD is a free app game just for launch day. It's playable and probably good thing it's free!

Someone did some benchmarks on the iPad. It's twice as fast as the 3GS, and has 512mb of memory.

Another note. For PDF docs, GoodReader (for iPad, there's also one for iPhone) is outstanding. It's the first App I bought for the iPad. I uploaded FFXIII Game Strategy Guide to the iPad....and...ooo la la! Very nice. There are free pdf readers out there but GoodReader for .99 is excellent if you have large PDFS...I have the iPhone version and the iPad is completely different, taking advantage of the screen size.

I may try out Netflix for a month on this thing.

Also, I switched my background to a wet gray surface background that I like more than the default. I was also able to drag a 5th app down to the dock. I'm wondering if there's a way to make the pages have double the app icons. there's enough space in between.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

I just made my first trip to the bathroom with the iPad and the experience was A M A Z I N G!

I was feeling so at ease, I let my guard down and actualy bought an app right there while on the can. NewsRack is the best RSS reader for the iPhone and the developer upgraded/enhanced it (dual binary) for the iPad free for existing customers. Since I'd been pirating it, I felt so moved (no pun intended) by the lack of greed that I paid for it.

TMI? Maybe so!

PS, any eBook you find in ePub format may be imported into iTunes and read on the iPad using the iBooks app. I found a bunch on the newsgroups.

Picture of my iBooks shelf after grabbing some books off newsgroups (some had cover art, some I had to add cover art)

Pride and Prejudice is how freebie books look. The two smaller books already had art so I could find larger Art I guess to make them bigger! I don't plan on reading those Twilight books either.

that's the resolution of the iPad from screenshot.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

I searched Newsleecher for about 30 minutes trying to find the Twilight books you have listed to surprise my wife and found jack squat. Is that what you used? How are you refining your search?
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

I just tried some random books, but itunes won't synch correctly. It gets within a fraction of a full progress bar, then itunes shuts down. I'll have to mess with it more later. I have Easter stuff to do for the time being.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Fairweather Pure wrote:I searched Newsleecher for about 30 minutes trying to find the Twilight books you have listed to surprise my wife and found jack squat. Is that what you used? How are you refining your search?
You'll probably want to switch over from the porn search to the normal search.

I did a 350 day search for "epub" then you can narrow your search from there.

Check the Adventures in Reading forum here. They are posted.

--------------------------

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgHNayVtHkQ
The iPad is already jail broken although it I doubt the jailbreak is released before the 3G is released so Apple doesn't patch too soon.
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

So are you able to rip Blu Ray movies to your iTunes? There a specific iPad format? How about web-based movies? If it is is still just UTube, that kinda sucks.
en kærlighed småkager
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

Netflix streams to the iPad via their new app, and it is being developed for the iPhone and iPod Touch
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Canelek wrote:So are you able to rip Blu Ray movies to your iTunes? There a specific iPad format? How about web-based movies? If it is is still just UTube, that kinda sucks.

I signed up for 2 week free Netflix trial to test it out on the iPad. Works great.

You can stream any HTML5 video on the web. ABC, CBS and HULU are all on board, and of course, netflix. HTML5 is the open standard meant to replace the resource heavy, poorly coded flash hog.

I was watching Angels and Demons via Netflix last night. I fell asleep with iPad propped up on my chest with a pillow. The iPad ended up falling forward, hitting me in the face and splitting my lip. Be careful out there! Ipads have some weight behind them.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

:lol:

Reminds me of the reason my grandfather always said to never go to sleep reading a hardback book.
pyrella
>()))>

Post by pyrella »

You can use calibre to convert just about any book format, to any other format (epub included)

http://calibre-ebook.com/about
Pyrella - Illusionist - Leader of Ixtlan on Antonia Bayle

if you were walking around and you came upon a tulip with tits, would you let it be for the rest of the world to enjoy.. or would you pick it and carry it off to a secluded area to motorboat them?
-Cadalano
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

heh, iPad was apparently jailbroken on Sunday
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

Been reading a lot about folks having issues with USB charging as well as spotty WiFi. Any issues reported from VV?
en kærlighed småkager
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

No wifi issues here, but only used it at home and work.

The USB charging complaint is that it does not charge in a Windows computer while you use the iPad. The iPhone does and I take full advantage of that at work. This would've been a huge deal to me, but it turns out that that battery life is so good that I don't care at all.

I need to see if it continues to charge while in use while plugged into my car adapter.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Canelek wrote:Been reading a lot about folks having issues with USB charging as well as spotty WiFi. Any issues reported from VV?
No issues charging on the little dock I bought, directly plugged into a POWERED USB 2 port. Most complaints that originate about USB ports are retards trying to charge on USB 1 ports or non poweres USB 2 ports which you can't do. iPad takes a lot of juice (big battery, halfway in between size of Mac Air and iPhone battery. You need quality USB port. Im using one of my iMac USB ports to power it. It seems to charge fins while turned on from what I can tell. It takes longer to charge because the battery is about 4X as big as an iphone battery.

Can't comment on wifi yet. Not enough time. I lost connection to the net last night so that wasnt a wifi issue. seems fine so far and fast.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

pyrella wrote:You can use calibre to convert just about any book format, to any other format (epub included)

What size are you using for your PDF files so that they take up all of the iPad's screen? Default leaves everything a little too tiny to read for long periods. I know you can resize them, I'm just looking for a launching off point.

I'm converting all of my Warhammer 40k Codex and Books over to the iPad. I've only done the latest Space Wolves Codex and Horus Rising, the first part of the Horus Heresy series. So far it looks great on my shelf!

This thing is awesome.
pyrella
>()))>

Post by pyrella »

Fairweather Pure wrote:
pyrella wrote:You can use calibre to convert just about any book format, to any other format (epub included)

What size are you using for your PDF files so that they take up all of the iPad's screen? Default leaves everything a little too tiny to read for long periods. I know you can resize them, I'm just looking for a launching off point.

I'm converting all of my Warhammer 40k Codex and Books over to the iPad. I've only done the latest Space Wolves Codex and Horus Rising, the first part of the Horus Heresy series. So far it looks great on my shelf!

This thing is awesome.
http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=78873

Calibre creator mentions there - epub is flexible and should resize automatically - but he's looking in to a dedicated ipad output profile (this guy updates his app like every 2-3 days with bug fixes/feature additions)
Pyrella - Illusionist - Leader of Ixtlan on Antonia Bayle

if you were walking around and you came upon a tulip with tits, would you let it be for the rest of the world to enjoy.. or would you pick it and carry it off to a secluded area to motorboat them?
-Cadalano
masteen
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by masteen »

So how useful is it as a PORTABLE device? I mean half of what makes the iphone so awesome is the fact it lives in your pants. Is it easy to lug around, and I'm not just talking in to work or to the shitter.
"There is at least as much need to curb the cruel greed and arrogance of part of the world of capital, to curb the cruel greed and violence of part of the world of labor, as to check a cruel and unhealthy militarism in international relationships." -Theodore Roosevelt
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

masteen wrote:So how useful is it as a PORTABLE device? I mean half of what makes the iphone so awesome is the fact it lives in your pants. Is it easy to lug around, and I'm not just talking in to work or to the shitter.

This should be pretty obvious Masteen,

It's too big to shove in your pocket so if that's your requirement, move on. If you want an excellent media consumption device, this rocks, for trips, for shitter, for sick days, etc. It's a MEDIA device. Read ebooks, watch movies, surf the web. For that purpose, it's excellent and very fast/intuitive. The specs for the size of the device are on Apples web page.

Go play around with one yourself at a best buy or Apple store. This thing needs to be tried out for you decide if it's worthwhile.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

It's like carrying around a paper notepad. Everyone at work assumes that's just what it is. I would call it "pretty goddamn portable", especially given the scope of what it can do. Very comfortable to hold, read, and surf the Net. It's just fun. I used it all day yesterday watching netflix, listening to music, and surfing the web. When I went to bed at 3am it still had 50% battery life. It has a better battery life than my iPhone.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Live blog of Apple OS 4.0 annoucement

http://live.gizmodo.com/

niiiiice
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

If Best Buy would let me demo one in the shitter, then it may be worthwhile.

Actually, I want one, but I am waiting until the next iteration, as this seems to be a Apple trend to release the first versions without some cool shit that will be on the next (re: iPhone).
en kærlighed småkager
Xatrei
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Xatrei »

Winnow wrote:Live blog of Apple OS 4.0 annoucement

niiiiice
+1 for multitasking, -1000 for iAd.
"When I was a kid, my father told me, 'Never hit anyone in anger, unless you're absolutely sure you can get away with it.'" - Russel Ziskey
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Xatrei wrote:

niiiiice
+1 for multitasking, -1000 for iAd.

What's wrong with iAd? That actually looks cool. Did you see it demonstrated during the keynote?

Skip to near the end:

http://events.apple.com.edgesuite.net/1 ... 5gt/event/

As ads go, these look really cool. The whole idea being you aren't taken out of your app. Everything is done within the app you're presently using and you can close out of the ad at any time. It's not forced on you. You have to click on the banner, same as any other app ad...keep in mind, there ads are there because the Apps are free themselves.

I'd be interested in your opinion after seeing the three Ads Jobs demos in the keynote link above.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

niiiiice
Very nice.
Xatrei
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Xatrei »

Winnow wrote:I'd be interested in your opinion after seeing the three Ads Jobs demos in the keynote link above.
I saw it yesterday, so my opinion is unchanged. Yes, it's a "better" way to deliver apps, but it still another way to push adverts at me (well, not *me* because I'm hooked on Android). I'm sure that it's great for developers and it will be great for Apple with a buhzillion ad opportunities every day, but that's about it.
"When I was a kid, my father told me, 'Never hit anyone in anger, unless you're absolutely sure you can get away with it.'" - Russel Ziskey
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: miir1

Post by miir »

That's pretty pathetic, defending an ad delivery service.
You're a sad little apple fanboy, Winnow.
I've got 99 problems and I'm not dealing with any of them - Lay-Z
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Anirask
PSN ID: Anirask

Post by Animalor »

'nother Apple douche move..

They changed their developper EULA so that Applications can only be made with C or Objective-C. 3rd party cross-compilers like the upcoming Adobe tool that will compile Flash applications into iPhone as well as Novell's MonoTouch that create iPhone apps from C# or .Net are officially banned.

The justification is that they want devs to create apps that take advantage of the iPhone's strengths and don't want to have "just ports".

I hate this company. On the upside, they're in The Consumerist's worst company in america tournament. They beat Microsoft and are now beating AT&T pretty badly in the contest.

http://consumerist.com/2010/04/worst-co ... apple.html
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Xatrei wrote:
Winnow wrote:I'd be interested in your opinion after seeing the three Ads Jobs demos in the keynote link above.
I saw it yesterday, so my opinion is unchanged. Yes, it's a "better" way to deliver apps, but it still another way to push adverts at me (well, not *me* because I'm hooked on Android). I'm sure that it's great for developers and it will be great for Apple with a buhzillion ad opportunities every day, but that's about it.

I still don't comprehend why you don't like this. You are going to get ads. Free apps are not free. They need ads. What issue do you have with this ad delivery system? It looks like by far the least intrusive and most entertaining way to deliver ads while keeping you in the app you're using. Seriously? Would you bitch about any ad delivery system? Because I'd like to know how you'd suggest delivering ads to "free" apps that are ad supported that's better than this. What magical way is it done on android apps that's better?
Xatrei
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Xatrei »

To be clear, I wasn't saying that Android is necessarily better with regard to how it handles ad delivery in ad-supported apps. I was just saying that I won't be affected by Apple's iAds because I'm an Android user. That said, getting booted out of your app by clicking an ad isn't really a big deal in Android because it already multitasks and you can just switch back to your app. I don't use ad-supported apps when I have an alternative. I'd rather pay a few bucks through the Android market for a good app without ads - when they're available. Ads in apps like Pandora, Soccer Livescores, are text based and reasonably non-obtrusive. Yelp, facebook, and most other apps that I use frequently don't (yet) have ads.

As for iAd... Sure, if you're going to have ads, this might be better than the alternative on iPhone OS, but nothing about iAd is that magical, it's just HTML5 documents delivered by the OS on top of whatever you're currently doing. A fully compliant HTML5 browser could just as easily deliver the same "rich content" ads as what Jobs demoed, as could Flash or Java. If the iPhone had already had multitasking available, this wouldn't even be an issue. Don't buy into Jobs' marketing hype and lose sight of the fact that this isn't a fabulous new feature for users. It's awesome for 3 groups: developers, advertisers and Apple. For end users, it's just more consumer-bait that Jobs is trying to spin as a super-awesome-happy-fun-time-change-your-life feature. It's not.