NFL News/Discussion 2009

What do you think about the sports world?
Aardor
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Phoenix612

Re: NFL News/Discussion 2009

Post by Aardor »

Why would Donovan Mcnabb go to the Cardinals over the Vikings?
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Canelek

Post by Canelek »

Aardor wrote:Why would Donovan Mcnabb go to the Cardinals over the Vikings?
The dry, hot climate is preferred by the eldery. If Palm springs had a pro football team, McNabb would totally go there.

As for Tebow....hmmm ... hrmmm. Shit, I bet McDaniels drafts him since he obviously hates Peyton hillis at FB. May be better than Orton as well. ;)

My problem with Tebow is that he is even more retarded than most pro athletes. Keep him away from the fetus-chuckers and he may grow up a touch. :D
en kærlighed småkager
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Aardor wrote:Why would Donovan Mcnabb go to the Cardinals over the Vikings?

McNabb lives in Phoenix. He moved back there awhile ago. Worked out at the Cardinals facility in the off season.
Jice Virago
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
PSN ID: quyrean

Post by Jice Virago »

I seriously doubt he would play in AZ. He would be unlikely to get the kind of money he could net elsewhere and his playstyle is not a good fit for the personell AZ has at the moment. Not to mention he has a glass jaw and would be out half the season with the state of the Cardinal OLine at the moment. If I were AZ, I would be looking at some of the more promissing backups out there or a capable veteren who is a backup but could be a starter. I could see them grabbing one of the Browns QBs and developing him, Flynn from the Packers would be a descent prospect for future development, or (and I expect to be flamed for this) David Carr might not be a bad option to fill the position while the team rebuilds.
War is an option whose time has passed. Peace is the only option for the future. At present we occupy a treacherous no-man's-land between peace and war, a time of growing fear that our military might has expanded beyond our capacity to control it and our political differences widened beyond our ability to bridge them. . . .

Short of changing human nature, therefore, the only way to achieve a practical, livable peace in a world of competing nations is to take the profit out of war.
--RICHARD M. NIXON, "REAL PEACE" (1983)

"Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired, represents, in the final analysis, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, who are cold and are not clothed. This world in arms is not spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children."

Dwight Eisenhower
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

David Carr

Hehehehahahahahha. Isn't he still lying on his back on some football field somewhere, more than slightly concussed?
en kærlighed småkager
Sueven
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Sueven »

If only the Cardinals already had a young, talented quarterback prospect on their roster to develop...
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

Jury is still out on Matt, but he has had plenty of opportunities to be the starter to date.

Keep in mind that he had an incredibl(y huge) O-Line at USC. He was rarely touched. I think Lienart can have some success in the NFL. AZ will just need to suck it up and let him develop properly. If he gets a chance to start next season, we will know a lot more about the lad.
en kærlighed småkager
Sueven
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Sueven »

Jury's definitely still out, but I don't think we're anywhere close to slamming the door.
Leinart had a pretty good rookie year; he started 12 games and played pretty decently. His numbers were substantially better than those of any rookie this year, and they hold up just fine by historical standards, too.

His second year, he was healthy for 5 games, stuck in a difficult situation rotating possessions with Kurt Warner, didn't play well, and eventually got injured. Warner beat him out in the preseason next year-- no shame in that-- and he's started one game since, in which he played well.

In other words, the perception of his career is way worse than the reality. As far as I'm concerned, he's about where a first-round QB who spent three years sharing a roster with a Hall of Fame veteran should be.

That's not to say that Cardinals shouldn't look at the position-- they could stand to add an older veteran who can be a capable backup and role model. They're the perfect place for Matt Hasselbeck.

But to suggest that they should add an equally raw, substantially less promising prospect like Matt Flynn or Brady Quinn or Derek Anderson doesn't make any sense to me. David Carr is actually the most reasonable suggestion, because at least he's a washed-up hack instead of a low-ceiling prospect, but I don't see him doing anything but backing up Leinart in case of injury.
Kilmoll the Sexy
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: bunkeru2k

Post by Kilmoll the Sexy »

We may never know if Carr would have been a good NFL QB thanks to being drafted by a club that had a Godawful O-line. The guy was sacked at a rate of once every 5 attempts...and that does not count the number of times he ran for his life and gained a yard. Drew Brees was not exactly stellar his first couple years, but was only sacked roughly once every 20 throws.

Most guys who come into the NFL highly rated could actually thrive if they had an O-line that was actually decent. If you stick a Carr behind the Indy or NE lines, he probably would have been a viable candidate for Pro Bowls (like that means anything now). It is a real rarity for a guy to be behind a crappy line and thrive : see also Roethlisberger, Benjamin.
Sueven
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Sueven »

Agreed. I don't think that Carr's failure means that he has no talent or couldn't have been successful. He got sacked out of the game. But, looking forward, it doesn't matter why he failed; just that he did.

This is one of those things that's going to bite me in the ass in 2012 when David Carr is having a career resurrection and Matt Flynn is leading Oakland to Super Bowls while Matt Leinart plays for the Montreal Allouettes.
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

Agreed as well. Carr was drafted by Houston, right? I forget. Dude was a regular punching bag, but very sturdy desppite the shitty line.
en kærlighed småkager
Sueven
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Sueven »

Another good option for teams that need a veteran backup quarterback who can teach a young guy and take over competently if necessary: Chad Pennington.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Sueven wrote:Another good option for teams that need a veteran backup quarterback who can teach a young guy and take over competently if necessary: Chad Pennington.
He can't throw the deep ball. Don't want him. He's a crippled QB. If Arizona is going to shift more to a run game next year, they at least need someone that can get it down field to Fitzgerald, Breaston and Early Doucet from time to time on play actions.
Derick Anderson:

Analysis: Tremendous size and arm skills … plays at a high level when he is free and loose … outstanding production in 2007 … can perform when given a vote of confidence, but not when tentative.
Derick Anderson was a nice suggestion.

and then there's this news:
Player News (last updated: January 30, 2010)

News: Carr, who will be an unrestricted free agent this offseason, might sign with Arizona, the East Valley Tribune reports.

Spin: The Cardinals might be in the market for a veteran to serve as Matt Leinart's backup. Leinart would probably have to struggle or get hurt in order to lose his starting job. Wherever he lands, Carr will probably be a backup heading into training camp.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Yay Saints.
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Defense wins Championships! lol. Defense got the unholy crap beat out of it this playoff season. The "better" defense lost almost every time.

Grats Saints. Cardinals, once again are the second best team this year, losing only to the eventual Superbowl winners in the playoffs.

For those preaching on an on about defense...did you hear the stat about the NFC winning 13 coin tosses in a row? The odds of that happening are 1 in 16,384...and yet, for that single coin toss, it was 50/50 heads or tails. Moral? The past don't mean shit. Defense may have had a part in winning some championships. Defense doesn't win championships. Don't be so naive.
Sabek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: sabek

Post by Sabek »

Winnow wrote:Defense wins Championships! lol. Defense got the unholy crap beat out of it this playoff season. The "better" defense lost almost every time.

Grats Saints. Cardinals, once again are the second best team this year, losing only to the eventual Superbowl winners in the playoffs.

For those preaching on an on about defense...did you hear the stat about the NFC winning 13 coin tosses in a row? The odds of that happening are 1 in 16,384...and yet, for that single coin toss, it was 50/50 heads or tails. Moral? The past don't mean shit. Defense may have had a part in winning some championships. Defense doesn't win championships. Don't be so naive.
Only Winnow could make a post about the Saints winning the Superbowl and manage to turn it into a post about how Arizona doesn't suck.

And by the way Winnow if you use the logic you are using to say they are the second best team in the league this year, then they weren't the second best team in the league last year. Who ever lost to the Steelers in the playoffs were.

On a positive note, grats Brees and the Saints. This was a good Superbowl for me, because after my Cowboys were knocked out I just wanted to see a good game. I wouldn't have been upset to see Manning or Brees get the win.
Sabek
Just Sabek
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: miir1

Post by miir »

That was a heck of a football game.
I've got 99 problems and I'm not dealing with any of them - Lay-Z
Kilmoll the Sexy
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Winnow wrote:Defense wins Championships! lol. Defense got the unholy crap beat out of it this playoff season. The "better" defense lost almost every time.

Honest question....are you trolling this forum constantly or do you actually believe the absolutely asinine garbage you spew without even a shred of a clue?

You do understand that the Steelers were the #1 defense in the NFL as recently as last year and won the Super Bowl over an all offense, no defense team? Oh wait, they beat your infallible team. How did they win? Oh yea, they had the number 1 defense in the NFL return an INT 100 yards and they held one of the best offenses in the league to 7 points through 3 quarters before relaxing in the 4th.

Next year, things will be back to normal. The Jets already showed that even with a rookie at QB, you can win in the playoffs with the defense and strong running game formula.

And to the Colts, you got what you deserved for laying down in games that affected the playoffs. That is why you fucks have only won once with Manning and God willing, you will never win another for your worthless lack of guts in playing it out.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Funkmasterr wrote:... Anyone that really thinks the Saints have a chance at winning is clearly delusional. [...] I expect that they are going to get gang raped on national television come Superbowl Sunday.

I'll eat my words if that proves wrong, but I'm exceedingly confident that won't happen.
Happy dining.
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Post by Funkmasterr »

Aslanna wrote:
Funkmasterr wrote:... Anyone that really thinks the Saints have a chance at winning is clearly delusional. [...] I expect that they are going to get gang raped on national television come Superbowl Sunday.

I'll eat my words if that proves wrong, but I'm exceedingly confident that won't happen.
Happy dining.
I hate you :)

I'm still amazed they were able to win. Was kinda disappointed in the commercials overall, too.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Looks to me like the crappiest defense in the playoffs won the Super Bowl.

Cliches like "Defense wins championships" no longer applies.

Long live Offense!
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

Winnow wrote:Yes Kilmoll, I am just trolling this forum
aha!
Kilmoll the Sexy
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

I should have known he was speaking Canadian. There needs to be a built in translator for that.
Kilmoll the Sexy
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

This sounds like a bad bad joke, but it is a reality.....the Bengals worked out 3 convicts recently. Pacman, Dante Stallworth, and Matt Jones....and actually signed Matt Jones to a contract. What is with that front office and gathering up every problem child the NFL can find? Are they lobbying to become the new Raiders?
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

Looks like Stallworth just signed with the Ravens.

I LOLed at the Chris Jones interest...

As far as Matt Jones, all he did was some blow with some old college buddies. Stupid, but not anywhere near as bad as the Pacman clown. Plus, Matt was a Razorback, so that cancels the problem!
en kærlighed småkager
Wulfran
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Wulfran »

I'm still somewhat surprised by LT and Westbrook both getting their releases. You know all careers come to an end but those are two guys who I just couldn't picture playing anywhere else. Yeah I know they've both had some injuries and LT's production fell way off last year but it still feels wierd.
Wulfran Moondancer
Stupid Sidekick of the Lambent Dorf
Petitioner to Club Bok Bok
Founding Member of the Barbarian Nation Movement
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

The LT dump doesn't surprise me at all.
I'm willing to bet he retires then comes back to the Chargers in some sort of front office or PR type role.
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

Much respect for both of these guys, but all the injuries and touches finally took their toll. A 30 year old NFL running back equates to a 50 year old with arthritic knees and hips.
en kærlighed småkager
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Those guys are ancient. Just be grateful they were released, otherwise there would be a few people on this board arguing that LT2 was still better than AP (even with the fumbles!)
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Ouch

Carlos Dansby to Miami
Antrel Rolle to Giants
Boldin to Ravins

So far. Other teams finally getting their hands on the Arizona talent. Dansby is major loss.

They're getting pad nicely:
Miami was Karlos Dansby's only free-agent visit. A chance to play for Bill Parcells and become the league's highest-paid inside LB was an offer he couldn't refuse.
Late Friday night the New York Giants made it official that Antrel Rolle would be joining them via free agency. And judging by his $15 million in guaranteed money, he'll be expected to start for several years.
The Cardinals sent Boldin and a fifth-round pick in this year's draft to Baltimore in exchange for the Ravens' third- and fourth-round selections. Before the deal was consummated, Boldin had reached agreement with the Ravens on a three-year contract extension worth $25 million in new money.
masteen
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by masteen »

So it's March 2010, can we get a new thread going?
"There is at least as much need to curb the cruel greed and arrogance of part of the world of capital, to curb the cruel greed and violence of part of the world of labor, as to check a cruel and unhealthy militarism in international relationships." -Theodore Roosevelt
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Cardinals sign Derick Anderson.

Got our new QB!
Arizona Cardinals head coach Ken Whisenhunt said quarterback Derek Anderson will be given the chance to compete with Matt Leinart for the starting job, but he also made it clear that for now it's Leinart's job to lose.

"Certainly Matt has earned the right to be the guy and that's the way we're going forward as we proceed," Whisenhunt said Wednesday, after the Cardinals announced they had signed Anderson to a two-year contract.

A free agent released last week by the Browns, Anderson, 26, agreed to a deal worth $7.25 million, of which $3.25 million will be guaranteed. If he reaches maximum performance bonuses, the deal could be worth in excess of $18 million.

Speaking to Arizona reporters on a conference call, Anderson said he's looking forward to a fresh start in Arizona after four up-and-down seasons in Cleveland.

He made the Pro Bowl in 2007 during a breakout season in which he passed for 3,787 yards and 29 touchdowns. But Anderson, 6 feet 6 and 230 pounds, struggled the past two years and fell out of favor with the coaching staff. He also switched back and forth as the starter with Brady Quinn, who was traded to the Broncos earlier this week.

As for competing with Leinart for the starter's job here, Anderson was diplomatic when asked about the possibility.

"I've gone into every training camp I've been involved in thinking I'm going to play and get better," he said, "and my job will be to push Matt and make him better, too."

"My understanding was I'm coming there to be the No. 2 and compete and do what I've done over my career."

The Cardinals are still looking to add a third quarterback and will turn to free agency or the draft to find one. Whisenhunt said that may include re-signing a former player, presumably Brian St. Pierre.

As for Leinart, Whisenhunt's comments Wednesday were among his stronger endorsements for the quarterback since Kurt Warner announced his retirement earlier this year.

"Derek will get opportunities, especially with our first unit like we've done in the past," Whisenhunt said, referring to training camp. "But I'm also excited about Matt and seeing how he handles this situation he's in right now."

Whisenhunt said Leinart sent him a text Wednesday morning after reports surfaced that the Cardinals were on the verge of signing Anderson and the coach liked what Leinart had to say.

"He's fired up about where he is and about getting in here for the off-season program and working with the guys," Whisenhunt said, adding Leinart didn't overreact to other reports that suggested Whisenhunt had yet to fully endorse him as the starter.

"Rather than cringe from that, he said he was excited about the opportunity," Whisenhunt said. "He knew there as going to be competition but he was going to show he was ready to play and that, to me, indicated he was in a good place with it."

Asked whether Leinart would have to fail miserably in camp to lose the No. 1 job to Anderson, Whisenhunt said it's too early to even discuss such a thing.

"A lot of things can happen at the quarterback position," he said. "Right now, with us being 4½ months from training camp, it would be premature to talk about that."

Anderson said the Browns ran a similar offense to that of the Cardinals, and he likes the players on Arizona's roster, namely wide receiver Larry Fitzgerald.

"It's pretty cool," he said. "Larry's one of the guys I've watched on tape and over the years. He's a phenomenal player and obviously, I look forward to getting to work him and the rest of the guys. They've got a very sturdy receiving corps."

Whisenhunt said the Cardinals remain in discussion with numerous free agents, but wasn't prepared to say whether any signings were imminent. It's believed the Cardinals have made an offer to Joey Porter, a free agent from the Dolphins who visited last week, but no team official could immediately confirm that.
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

Anderson was pretty good! In college. :)

Then again, he does have some skill, and was playing for an awful team. I have the same hopes for Brady Quinn, who the Broncos signed the other day.
en kærlighed småkager
Taison Earbiter
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by Taison Earbiter »

Winnow wrote:Cardinals sign Derick Anderson.

Got our new QB!
hah..I'm curious how that goes with Leinart having to battle Anderson.

Interested to see the 2010 Cardinals in general with losing Warner, Boldin, Rolle, Dansby, etc...
"The secret of being boring is to say everything."
Sabek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: sabek

Post by Sabek »

Andersen has a nice arm for the long ball.
It's a shame he can't tell the color differences between jersey colors.

I think it's karma that Winnow hates Favre, and what the Cardinals just got is Favre except not as good.
Sabek
Just Sabek
Kilmoll the Sexy
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

That is just not even right. Favre was a winner and made mistakes that kept him from winning even more. He NEVER had a line like Anderson had last year with the 2 of 17 for 23 yards with an INT for a rating of 11. I could have went out at QB that day and taken 17 snaps and threw all of them into the turf and had a QB rating of 33....and I am pretty sure I could have completed more than 2 if I was really trying.