Game Guides

General discussion about other games, links to reviews, demos, etc - let us know about whats up and coming

Moderators: Funkmasterr, noel

Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Game Guides

Post by Fairweather Pure »

I haven't bought one of these since FF3 was releases way back in the day. However, I am strangely drawn to them. I always give them a quick look in stores. Well, I was poking around half.com and put in "game guide" for giggles. Holy shit there are some great deals out there. I impulse bought about 9 guides for games I have yet to finish and the cost was less than 50$, including the cost of shipping. I limited myself to only games that I have yet to beat or put any significant time into.

I'll always remeber a friend fo mine who bought the guide book with every single game he purchased. He would then go through the game page by page. I always thought that was crazy. I won't be that anal about it, but I do look forward to having the books as a form of nostolgia many years from now. I may even keep an eye out on half.com and pick up really cheap guides for all of the games I own. They had the Fallout 3 GOTY hardcover for 25$. That was really tempting!

Anyway, I was just curious if others are into the guide books. I know Winnow DLs them, but i's pretty hard to find what you want while gaming IMO.

Oh, I picked up these guides. Every one was under 5$, including several that were less than a dollar. All these guides are brand new and still sealed.

Halo Wars
InFamous
GTA4
GTA 4 Episodes of Vice City
Prototype
Mass Effect
Prince of Persia (Hard Cover Limited Edition) was only .75!
Mass Effect
C&C Red Alert 3

Hopefully, these guides will give me more incentive to finish off these games.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Re: Game Guides

Post by Aslanna »

I usually just check out online guides at like Gamefaq of whatever. They are usually just text but they get the job done. And are free. I think you got robbed on the Infamous guide though.. There's no guide needed for that!
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

I wouldn't mind the guide for ME 2 but it's such a good game you really don't need one.

I can see it being useful for finding good planets to mine fo rthe rare Element Zero but then again, I found that on a google search.

I know what you mean though Fair, I just like having them to flip through for the art, etc sometimes. I got GTA IV's and didn't use it that much but it looks cool : )
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

I can't think of a game where a guide is required. Whenever I've gotten stuck in the past, I just look up an online guide or a youtube video to get me past the rough spot. It's pretty much just my anal retentive collector side rearing it's ugly head. I'll give these books a test run, but will keep my eyes open for crazy deals on games I've already beaten. I think I saw both Gears Guides for under a buck each. As I mentioned above, with prices that cheap it's worth it just for nostalgia reasons. Winnow is right. It's the art and presentation that gets me interested. I don't need the l33t infoz or anything like that. I can't help but think how cool it would be if I were to have had a guide for all the games I've played, going back a couple of decades!
Leonaerd
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Leonaerd »

The guides I needed most were for fighting games. Our group was really competitive and the guides were good to study. I'll take on anybody using Ivy, Lei, or Akuma.

Without a guide for Final Fantasy VIII, especially, I would have missed several crucial bits of information. Was Gamefaqs even around back then?
Siji
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: mAcK 624
PSN ID: mAcK_624
Wii Friend Code: 7304853446448491

Post by Siji »

Funny thing, I was just talking to Aslanna the other day about some really nice looking guides I saw at Best Buy (Assassin's Creed 2 limited/hard cover is sweeet looking). They're neat, but I usually just look for the PDF versions as once I'm done with the game, I'm done with the guide.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

I've already recieved 2 guides in the mail, GTA 4 Episodes of Vice City and Prototype. As soon as I opened the packages, I knew I made the right decision on ordering these. I can't wait to get the rest now.
Kwonryu DragonFist
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Kwonryu DragonFist »

How much ya want for a Mass Effect 2 guide?
Syenye
Almost 1337
Almost 1337
XBL Gamertag: asian tempest

Post by Syenye »

I have the ME2 guide but nowhere to upload it. I was avoiding it until I finished the game. Not the best quality but readable. I'll post it if anyone has suggestions on where to upload it.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Syenye wrote:I have the ME2 guide but nowhere to upload it. I was avoiding it until I finished the game. Not the best quality but readable. I'll post it if anyone has suggestions on where to upload it.

Not sure if this is same one you have but here's the guide. Quality seems good if you view 100% Except for the very first page, the text is crystal clear even at 200%.

289 pages with pics! 27mb

Mass Effect 2 Guide

I just downloaded it. Didn't use it for first play through.

There's a lot of good history in the guide. Some parts interesting to read even if not using for help. Those that didn't play ME 1 would probably benefit from the early parts of the guide relating the history of the Protheans.
Syenye
Almost 1337
Almost 1337
XBL Gamertag: asian tempest

Post by Syenye »

Same guide, but yours is better quality. Thanks!
Kwonryu DragonFist
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Kwonryu DragonFist »

Thanks WInny!

I have almost already completed the game though , but thanks! :D
Thanks to Thess
---xx0O0xx---
The best site known to man!
--++http://kwonryu.mybrute.com++--