Movie, DVD, and TV reviews and discussion

Moderators: Abelard, Drolgin Steingrinder

Aardor
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Phoenix612

District 9

Post by Aardor »

Peter Jackson + Director who did awesome Halo 3 commercial (and seemingly, nothing else) + aliens = super win.

So far, the movie is tearing up reviews: http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/district_9/

Trailer 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfem7wKeNaU

Trailer 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6PDlMggROA

Short film movie is based on: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlgtbEdqVsk

I am pretty excited.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: miir1

Re: District 9

Post by miir »

Going to see this on saturday.
I've got 99 problems and I'm not dealing with any of them - Lay-Z
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Post by Fairweather Pure »

Everyone I know that has seen this has been blown away. I really want to see it in theaters now.
cadalano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by cadalano »

saw it tonight. great movie- its got some slow parts and the plot isn't very deep but its a good psychological action movie- really amazing effects work throughout. would be disappointing for people expecting a spooky alien type thriller, though.
I TOLD YOU ID SHOOT! BUT YOU DIDNT BELIEVE ME! WHY DIDNT YOU BELIEVE ME?
Zamtuk
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zamtuk »

I just saw this tonight, and was really blown away. The beginning was a bit slow on establishing the actual plot, but when the action started around halfway through, it didn't slow down until the credits. Great movie, and sweet ending. Given the fact that the budget was $30 million, the movie was simply amazing.

What are the odds of a sequel?
Fuck Michigan!
Tyek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Tyekk
PSN ID: Tyek

Post by Tyek »

Movie This Weekend Box total
1 N District 9 $37,000,000 $37,000,000
2 G.I. Joe $22,500,000 $98,753,000
3 The Time Traveler's Wife $19,205,000 $19,205,000
4 Julie & Julia $12,400,000 $43,684,000
5 G-Force $6,908,000 $99,049,000
6 The Goods $5,350,000 $5,350,000
7 Harry Potter $5,155,000 $283,893,000
8 The Ugly Truth $4,500,000 $77,502,000
9 Ponyo BV $3,506,000 $3,506,000
10 (500) Days of Summer $3,025,000 $17,955,000
11 Funny People $3,023,000 $47,923,000
12 A Perfect Getaway $2,796,000 $11,496,000
I am guessing a lot better then the chances of a "The Goods" sequel, although they will probably make a direct to video one for that I am sure.
When I was younger, I used to think that the world was doing it to me and that the world owes me some thing…When you're a teeny bopper, that's what you think. I'm 40 now, I don't think that anymore, because I found out it doesn't f--king work. One has to go through that. For the people who even bother to go through that, most assholes just accept what it is anyway and get on with it." - John Lennon
valryte
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by valryte »

After about the first 5-10 minutes I told me wife, if the movie was like that the whole time we're walking out. Thankfully it wasn't. The effects were great and the action picks up really nicely. So, if you see it, just stick around, it does get better :)
When the world is mine, your death shall be quick and painless.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Not trying to be a contrarian or anything but I didn't enjoy this movie.

I felt like I was in an episode of The Office gone bad for most of the picture with the way the lead character played to the camera.
[Show]
I didn't feel any attachment to the roaches. I didn't feel moved one way or the other if they lived or died or went away.

Whatever message they were trying to get across by having this set in South Africa didn't work.
First three quarters of the movie was dreadful but I stuck it out because I read Val's comment before watching. Last quarter, while having more action, was still just passable.

Didn't like the camera work, the acting, or the story which really wasn't fleshed out much. I tend to like most Sci Fi movies in general and give them a little more leeway but this one i'd give a 4/10.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

Whatever message they were trying to get across by having this set in South Africa didn't work.
Uhhh, the message is that nearly everyone invoved with the movie are South Africans, you fucking moron.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

miir wrote:
Uhhh, the message is that nearly everyone invoved with the movie are South Africans, you fucking moron.
It's a documentary style suckfest. I didn't care for that approach to making the movie but those that liked Cloverfield and Blair Witch might.
MNU's eviction and relocation of the aliens is based on District Six, a former inner-city residential area in Cape Town, South Africa. The district was declared a 'whites only' area by the apartheid government in 1966 and the population of 60,000 forcibly removed to Cape Flats, 25 kilometres away during the following years.
There you go asshat. That's the message dipship, not that a bad South African directed it with crappy South African actors and fillers.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

Did you finish the movie? Only the first third or so was in the documentary style.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

Yea go figure, a South African makes a movie set in South Africa. :roll:

You should actually go out to watch movies on a big screen. Cam jobs still look and sound like shit no matter how expensive your home theatre system is... I get the feeling that you rarely leave your house.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Boogahz wrote:Did you finish the movie? Only the first third or so was in the documentary style.
Winnow wrote:
First three quarters of the movie was dreadful but I stuck it out because I read Val's comment before watching. Last quarter, while having more action, was still just passable.
yeah, I sat through the whole thing.
Trek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Trek »

I thought overall the movie was ho-hum all the way through. I was left with way more questions then answers. 4/10
Hesten
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Hesten »

I just saw it, brilliant movie, nice to see that REC wasnt the only good "documentary" style movie in a sea of suck.
"Terrorism is the war of the poor, and war is the terrorism of the rich"
Leonaerd
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Leonaerd »

So many conflicting opinions. I'm interested to see it for that reason. The last movie I saw in theatres that Metacritic really liked was The Descent, though I doubt anybody would give that as low as a 4 / 10. It's just tough to spend $20 to see what's essentially a free movie, given time. :(
Psyloche
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Psyloche »

I really enjoyed the movie, and the documentary style didn't bother me at all. I haven't really seen a movie shot like it that I've liked between Blair Witch and Cloverfield, in fact I hated both of those.

The influence of video games cracked me up. The gore, which usually repulses and disgusts me had me actually laughing, probably due to me looking at it more like a half-life 2 movie, than anything. I was thoroughly disgusted with some of the attitudes of the characters in the movie, and it made me think they did a good job acting if I felt that way. I mentioned HL2, but I also thought pretty strongly of Unreal Tournament, tech-wise.

Humans can be pretty fucking disgusting, if you don't agree with that idea, you probably won't like the movie.
Hijoputa 80 DK - Undermine
Psyloche 80 Rogue - Hyjal
Baaka 80 Paladin - Hyjal
Churrasco 70 Tauren Warrior - Firetree
Rennard 70 UD Priest - Firetree
Sinjin617 - Ogame.org (More or less Retired)
Seithyr 70 Monk - Veeshan (Retired)
Psyloche Wenusberg 70 Rogue - Veeshan (Retired)
Trek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Trek »

The only reason I liked it at all was because of the humans treatment of the aliens. The 'documentary' style didnt bother me at all, I had huge problems with the story. I guess overall the movie was 'pretty' but I wanted more then that.
Xouqoa
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Xouqoa

Post by Xouqoa »

My wife and I both really liked this. We took my dad and he seemed to enjoy it as well. I thought the guy playing the main character was great.

I am hoping if they do a District 10 movie that it explains the back story of the Prawns a little bit.
"Our problems are man-made, therefore they may be solved by man. No problem of human destiny is beyond human beings." - John F Kennedy
Lalanae
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Lalanae »

Loved it!
Humans can be pretty fucking disgusting, if you don't agree with that idea, you probably won't like the movie.
Agreed! I think the movie did a really good job of paralleling the story to how we treat the less fortunate in this world. Humanity is rarely humane.
I was left with way more questions then answers.
Like what? Genuinely curious, because I can't think of any questions that were posed and not answered (beyond the obvious question at the end)
Lalanae
Burundi High Chancellor for Tourism, Sodomy and Pie
Unofficial Canadian, Forbidden Lover of Pie, Jesus-Hatin'' Sodomite, President of KFC (Kyoukan Fan Club), hawt, perververted, intellectual submissive with E.S.P (Extra Sexual Persuasion)
Bubba Grizz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Bubba Grizz »

I enjoyed the movie. The special effects were a lot of fun. I shouldn't be laughing at people getting blown up but I was. What bothered me about the movie the most is the thought that if this were to really happen in the near future, it would be just like the movie. That saddens me.

Upon leaving we felt that we'd love to see a District 10 as well.
Kwonryu DragonFist
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Kwonryu DragonFist »

Enjoyed seeing the Halflife 2-Weaponry in action!

This movie gets 7.5 / 10 .
Thanks to Thess
---xx0O0xx---
The best site known to man!
--++http://kwonryu.mybrute.com++--
Kaldaur
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Kaldaur

Post by Kaldaur »

Bubba Grizz wrote: What bothered me about the movie the most is the thought that if this were to really happen in the near future, it would be just like the movie.
That's why the movie was so gripping to me. It was like we were watching our possible future unfolding. It's certainly already been our past.
Lynks
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: launchpad1979

Post by Lynks »

I thought it was one of the best movies of the year. It had an independent movie feeling to it but with a big budget.

The main character was a fantastic actor. His IMDB profile says this his is second movie. The first being back in 2005!
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

Lynks wrote:It had an independent movie feeling to it but with a big budget.
District 9 was definately NOT a big budget movie.
It only cost $30 million.

Heck, the Time Traveller's Wife cost $39 million.. and The Hangover cost $35 million.

The two big budget summer blockbusters, GI Joe and Transformers had somehwere in the range of $200 million budgets
Lynks
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: launchpad1979

Post by Lynks »

Well, big budget for an independent movie (even though I dont think it was).
Aardor
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Phoenix612

Post by Aardor »

Lynks wrote:Well, big budget for an independent movie (even though I dont think it was).
Isn't an independent film any film produced outside the original 8 major studios (maybe they've added some since)? If so, it qualifies because all the money came from QED International (who later entered into a distribution deal with Sony, but after all the money was done and filming started).
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Canelek

Post by Canelek »

I really enjoyed this as well. Granted, it was lacking somewhat in character development, but that really was not the film's objective. I think what was most impressive was an action movie that was quite low-budget, given its competition. It is a far cry from "best film of the year" but at least this studio beat Hollywood to a remake of 'Enemy Mine'.

;)

7/10 and worthy of a Blu Ray purchase
en kærlighed småkager