Facebook: The Movie

Movie, DVD, and TV reviews and discussion

Moderators: Abelard, Drolgin Steingrinder

Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Facebook: The Movie

Post by Spang »

More than 200 million of us are active Facebook users, but will that social networking addiction convert to a blockbuster movie? Columbia Pictures sure hopes so, as it advances its plan to bring Facebook’s founding story to the big screen.

The movie, titled “The Social Network”, is scheduled to start production later this year, and Columbia is in advanced talks to put David Fincher, director of The Curious Case of Benjamin Button in the director’s chair, reports Variety. “Scott Rudin and Michael De Luca are producing with Trigger Street’s Kevin Spacey and Dana Brunetti”, adds the industry mag, and Aaron Sorkin (A Few Good Men, The American President, Malice, Charlie Wilson’s War) wrote the script.

The film will tell the story of Facebook founder Mark Zuckerberg as he scaled the site from a Harvard dorm room to the world’s most popular social network.
The Source
Make love, fuck war, peace will save us.
Fash
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: sylblaydis

Re: Facebook: The Movie

Post by Fash »

... retarded.
Fash

--
Naivety is dangerous.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Post by Funkmasterr »

Retarded is a understatement.
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Canelek

Post by Canelek »

Easy money. Plenty of bad writers in Hollywood for this. All they need is one A-List star and they are guaranteed 1st-weekend money. It is all a numbers game, of course. If they can capture both the teen demographic, plus the straight-up retarded demographic--who will go to see a movie because they think so-and-so is "dreamy"--it is a win-win. I am sure a sequel is in the works!
en kærlighed småkager
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

Funkmasterr wrote:Retarded is a understatement.
An understatement. Retard.
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: mp72

Post by Sylvus »

Just to play devil's advocate here, there are plenty of movies about the birth of ubiquitous technologies, why is this one "retarded?"

Facebook has like 200 Million users, and over 100 Million people log in each day. And that's just Facebook. There have been fictional movies and documentaries about the birth of TV, Automobiles, Radio, The Space Program, the military, personal computers, etc. Good or bad, social networks are one of the biggest things to hit the world in the last 20 years, it's inevitable that movies will be made about them. I see nothing retarded about the birth of this phenomenon being the subject of a movie.

And seeing how it's written by the guy who brought us Sports Night, The West Wing, Studio 60, A Few Good Men, The American President and Malice (among others), I think it's got a chance at being a decent movie. I see nothing retarded about their choice of a screenwriter.

The director did Seven, The Game and Fight Club, so that right there makes him a bad-ass director in my book, not to mention some other decent flicks (Zodiac) and scores of commercials and music videos. I see nothing retarded about their choice of a director.

Please, enlighten me why you think this is retarded, other than the fact that you're probably not Facebook users?
"It's like these guys take pride in being ignorant." - Barack Obama

Go Blue!
Fash
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Fash »

I am a Facebook user, but I can't imagine how they could make this interesting. Coding is not action-packed, and most uses of Facebook are entirely pointless... Where is the action, intrigue, or drama? A love story perhaps? Oh yeah, a real blockbuster in the making... guy makes website, website takes many years to become popular in colleges, website goes public, website explodes.
Fash

--
Naivety is dangerous.
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

Fash wrote:I am a Facebook user, but I can't imagine how they could make this interesting. Coding is not action-packed, and most uses of Facebook are entirely pointless... Where is the action, intrigue, or drama? A love story perhaps? Oh yeah, a real blockbuster in the making... guy makes website, website takes many years to become popular in colleges, website goes public, website explodes.
You're not a very good screenwriter.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Sylvus wrote:Just to play devil's advocate here, there are plenty of movies about the birth of ubiquitous technologies, why is this one "retarded?"

Facebook has like 200 Million users, and over 100 Million people log in each day. And that's just Facebook. There have been fictional movies and documentaries about the birth of TV, Automobiles, Radio, The Space Program, the military, personal computers, etc. Good or bad, social networks are one of the biggest things to hit the world in the last 20 years, it's inevitable that movies will be made about them. I see nothing retarded about the birth of this phenomenon being the subject of a movie.

And seeing how it's written by the guy who brought us Sports Night, The West Wing, Studio 60, A Few Good Men, The American President and Malice (among others), I think it's got a chance at being a decent movie. I see nothing retarded about their choice of a screenwriter.

The director did Seven, The Game and Fight Club, so that right there makes him a bad-ass director in my book, not to mention some other decent flicks (Zodiac) and scores of commercials and music videos. I see nothing retarded about their choice of a director.

Please, enlighten me why you think this is retarded, other than the fact that you're probably not Facebook users?

I am also a facebook user.

I would start by saying I am pretty much a scrooge about pop culture (refer to the American Idol thread). I don't see any way they can make a movie about a social networking site interesting. Fuck, the site is barely interesting enough to hold my attention. I don't go see movies just because I know what they are about, because I like the director or because the actress in it is hot.. I see movies that look good and any of those factors listed above would just be a bonus.

I don't care if the director is one of the best out there and they have an all-star cast, I don't see any way a movie about Facebook could be entertaining.
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

Funkmasterr wrote:I don't see any way a movie about Facebook could be entertaining.
That's probably why you're not a filmmaker.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Spang wrote:
Funkmasterr wrote:I don't see any way a movie about Facebook could be entertaining.
That's probably why you're not a filmmaker.
Any other keen observations you'd like to share with us while you're on a roll?
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

Funkmasterr wrote:Any other keen observations you'd like to share with us while you're on a roll?
Not at this time, thank you.
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

I just get this "You've Got Mail" vibe is all.... MORE MEGRYAN AND TOMHANK
en kærlighed småkager
Gnomies
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by Gnomies »

Conan O'Brien quote.."some say a waste of time, others say an incredible waste of time."
Gnomies Tinkerbeans~
Braxter
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Braxter »

Hi.

Read the "History" and "Litigation" sections of the Wikipedia article about Facebook. There's plenty of drama there for a film. If you disagree, you must not have enjoyed Pirates of Silicon Valley (86% on Rotten Tomatoes). The two films will probably prove to be similar, both centering on the advent of a new technology created by Harvard geeks. I agree with Sylvus - given the names involved, this will probably be an unexpected hit.
Lynks
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: launchpad1979

Post by Lynks »

They can make it like Tron 8)

or Quantum Leap. Hoping each time, the next leap would be the leap home.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Lynks wrote:They can make it like Tron 8)

or Quantum Leap. Hoping each time, the next leap would be the leap home.
<3 Quantam Leap!
Ashur
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Ashur »

It should star Kevin Spacey and he can be a REAL MAFIA GUY behind MAFIA WARS (join my crew dammit!).

:lol:
- Ash
Xouqoa
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Xouqoa

Post by Xouqoa »

On one hand, I want to dismiss this movie as stupid right off the bat.
Fash wrote:I can't imagine how they could make this interesting.
On the other, and in direct response to Fash's comment, I argue this: Modern Marvels. It is a show that constantly takes completely mundane things (eg: corn, bridges, steel) and can make an entertaining and interesting 1 hour program on them on a consistent basis. I would imagine there is at least something interesting in how Facebook was conceived and created.

That said, it could be completely retarded like many before me have said.
"Our problems are man-made, therefore they may be solved by man. No problem of human destiny is beyond human beings." - John F Kennedy
Fash
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Fash »

Points well taken... it could be awesome. that is all.
Fash

--
Naivety is dangerous.
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: mp72

Post by Sylvus »

I can't wait for Facebook: The Movie: The Ride.
"It's like these guys take pride in being ignorant." - Barack Obama

Go Blue!
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Sylvus wrote:I can't wait for Facebook: The Movie: The Ride.
:lol:
cadalano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by cadalano »

modern marvels is great. the most seemingly boring topic i've seen them do so far is runways. like airplanes land on. for an hour. it was a great episode
I TOLD YOU ID SHOOT! BUT YOU DIDNT BELIEVE ME! WHY DIDNT YOU BELIEVE ME?
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

Yes, Modern Marvels is a good show. However, I will not watch it in the theater! If Facebook:The Movie was on discovery HD or History Channel, I'd watch it for sure.
en kærlighed småkager
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

A lot of good points being made, very strange for vv ;) I could see this movie going either way (lol) to be honest now that I think about it..
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

Spang wrote:
Fash wrote:I am a Facebook user, but I can't imagine how they could make this interesting. Coding is not action-packed, and most uses of Facebook are entirely pointless... Where is the action, intrigue, or drama? A love story perhaps? Oh yeah, a real blockbuster in the making... guy makes website, website takes many years to become popular in colleges, website goes public, website explodes.
You're not a very good screenwriter.
Aaron Sorkin is. Go see this movie.
Gonzoie - Luclin
Almost 1337
Almost 1337
XBL Gamertag: tjevolved

Post by Gonzoie - Luclin »

Sorkin said an amazing quote on the Colbert Report. "Social networking is to socializing, as reality tv is to reality."
Darttanion Romances, 70 bard (Retired)
Gonzoie Eatsalot, 65 Druid (Long been Retired)
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Surprised there aren't more comments about this movie.

The movie is very watchable. Not great but I think it does an excellent, and rare in film, job of portraying a tech nerd. This guy has smarts, having scored 1600 (perfect) on his SAT scores.(may need to be verified) He's a perfect example of a non people person genius. It appears that even when he knows he's wrong, he can't stop himself. He has very little charisma and horrible speaking skills.

He totally screws his partner. Not even a buyout attempt or anything but a deliberate stock diluting screw-over.

I don't think the portrayal of Mark Zuckerberg is far off in this movie. Basically focused on whatever project he's on and uncaring about who gets crushed. Rumors are that Apple could use a big chunk of their 51 billion in cash to buy Facebook. Zuckerberg could end up with ~20 billion before he's 30. Not bad.

It's a movie worth watching.