Terra Cotta Smoker

Recipes, Reccomendations, and Reviews
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Canelek

Terra Cotta Smoker

Post by Canelek »

About a month ago, I was watching Food Network and that goofy guy Alton Brown was demonstrating a smoker made out of terra cotta pots. Great idea! So, I decided to Google that shit and came up with quite a few good ideas--guess it has been popular for some time now!

http://www.naffziger.net/blog/2008/07/0 ... ot-smoker/

I found the hotplate at Walgreens and was able to take it apart from the plastic base. This also allows the controls to be outside of the pot (the drainage hole is perfect for this!)

Just got back from Home Depot, where I bought the rest of my materials. Here is the full list:

2 X 16" plain terra cotta pots
3 X terra cotta feet
3 X bricks (to go under feet)
1 X broken brick (to support hotplate and keep center hole clear for air and wires)
1 X Replacement grill thermometer (fits nicely in the drainage hole for inverted pot cover)
1 X Replacement charcoal grate for Weber grill (the smaller one where you put coal)
1 X Hotplate
1 X Heavy pie tin (for wood chunks)

Going to do a test run this weekend. Pork shoulder or brisket. :D
1 X 10lb bag hickory chunks
en kærlighed småkager
Canoe
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Re: Terra Cotta Smoker

Post by Canoe »

Let me know how it works out!

I've been debating getting a smoker, and just haven't pulled the trigger yet (I do all my jerky in the oven, and add liquid smoke for the flavor). This sounds like it might be fun to do, and pretty cheap.

Let me know!
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

I applied a thin layer of yellow mustard to a 5lb pork shoulder and then coated liberally with a dry rub that I concocted last night. It will go in the smoker tomorrow AM. The mustard actually does not contribute to the flavor, but holds the rub on nicely and promotes a nice crust.

Can't wait!
en kærlighed småkager
Chidoro
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Chidoro »

That is a pretty cool idea if it works out. Making fajitas with the shoulder?
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

Pulled pork, so pretty much the same idea, except my rub is more Texan than Mexican. I suppose nobody would complain if I provided tortillas as opposed to hard rolls.

Going to use apple juice mixed with a touch of apple cider vinegar to "baste" every hour or so.

Did a heat test this evening. I am a bit concerned that the grating is too close to the wood chunks, so may need to have it in foil more than I want. I have another larger grate on order.

Conversely, I can make a foil tent over the wood chunks, or use a steamer tray to enclose the wood. With a bit larger of grating, however, it will provide a much better buffer--resting closer to the top.
en kærlighed småkager
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

I must say....that was pretty fucking awesome! Never smoked any food before...ever. Luckily, it is pretty easy--you just have to pay attention to temps.

The pulled pork came out fantastic. I think it will be even better once the 15" grate comes in, so it will sit up higher. Smokey goodness!
en kærlighed småkager
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

Tomorrow--tri-tip!
en kærlighed småkager
Ashur
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Ashur »

Yellow Mustard is le puke :(
- Ash
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

On a long smoke, the mustard is non-existant. It is only there to hold the rub and help with the crust.

Obviously, it can be left out.

Oh, and I will never use it again. I tried the same rub on the tri-tip, and it was destroyed. :( I think I will stick with a grill for the tri-tip since it cooks quick and does not need slow cooking. Lesson learned!
en kærlighed småkager