Rebuilding

No holds barred discussion. Someone train you and steal your rare spawn? Let everyone know all about it! (Not for the faint of heart!)

Moderator: TheMachine

Which WTC rebuilding design do you like the most?

Poll ended at July 19, 2002, 10:20 pm

Memorial Plaza
5%
Memorial Square
9%
Memorial Triangle
5%
Memorial Garden
18%
Memorial Park
23%
Memorial Promenade
41%

Total votes: 22

Chidoro
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Rebuilding

Post by Chidoro »

Well, the 6 selected rebuilding designs are available. I have no idea how much interest there will be in this but what the hell. I see it daily and it interests me so here it goes.

http://www.renewnyc.com/plan/concepts.htm
Revs
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Revs »

Neither.
Put up the skeletal remains of both towers then we'll see if ANYONE will forget :evil:
Add that to the poll please...
Akaran_D
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Akaran_D »

I personally vote for them to rebuild.

That's what americans have done every time there is pain or strife. We pick up the pieces, we work it over, we make it again yet this time we make it better.
dalur
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by dalur »

Hrmm

I think they all look pretty similiar. So I guess I can't pick one to choose.
Dalur Stouthealer
60th Dwarven High Priest
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Post by Fairweather Pure »

I'm with Dalur. They are all just buildings afterall. The point should be to rebuild. That is the hardest decision for many, not what type of building will be build in it's place.

Rebuild, move on, remeber.
Voronwë
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Voronwë »

i like #6 i think.

the most important thing is that the center of world finance is rebuilt on that spot in lower Manhatten. You can't make it a graveyard. I understand that many thousands of people lost a loved one, and i can't imagine the grief they feel. But it is important for the psyche of the country that there is a literal healing of the wound.

i like the one with the two towers. i think it is important that all of them have a memorial park type of space. i think that will be nice for tourists as well as people who will work there on a day to day basis.

the first priority needs to be getting that spot of New York City prepared for another 100+ years of being the center of finance on this planet.

i hope the politics over design proposals doesnt get nasty, i think it is more important for them to make a good decision and not use this opportunity for political grandstanding, etc.
Madren
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by Madren »

I recently visited the ground zero site for the first time. since the day it happened people wanted to go down and look, but i have stayed away from it.

Now that i have seen it, the twisted steel removed, im not glad that i did. It just reminded me why i have stayed away from it.
It was crushing to see it.

Anyone that has been down to the WTC OMGIAMRETARDEDCAUSEALOTISTWOWORDS remembers the area, what it was. Seeing that hole in the ground where my sister worked, where my friends died, fills me with too many emotions at once.

Rebuild it, any of them will do. But dont let those fucking cocksuckers stain my city and leave it there. Fix it.

May Allah have no mercy on their rectums as he rapes them with a razorbladed steel condom for eterity.
Valiant Madren Steelhand
Cestus Dei - Luclin server
" You start playing with your head... thats 3 feet above your ass " - Jimmy Dougan
Nick
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Nick »

I remember visiting the WTC in '96.

/comfort Madren
Kylere
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kylere »

Personally I think they should build new towers to the same specifications but with larger dimensions, 20% wider, taller etc.
She Dreams in Digital
\"Led Zeppelin taught an entire generation of young men how to make love, if they just listen\"- Michael Reed(2005)
Trek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Trek »

Dare I say im with Kylere on this one, build it bigger.
Voronwë
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Voronwë »

i agree in principle with Kylere, but I don't think the orignial specifications should be used.

The opportunity is there to build something better, and that is what should be done.

If it is more visually stunning than its predecessor, that would be great, because I think that would do a lot for the psyche of people.
Revs
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Revs »

And LOTS of fireproofing :wink:
Voronwë
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Voronwë »

and SAM turrets
Chidoro
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Chidoro »

Problem is, who would you get to work there? Just the gathering for the announcement was under high security, what about the people that just want to work?

The constraints placed on the designers were pretty brutal: keep the same amount of commercial/hotel/retail space, don't build on the footprints (even though 3 designs did), don't make it too much of a "target", acreage reqs on the memorial, etc etc.

I'm sorry for your loss Mad. Lost 1 friend and 2 less-contact friends and it is pretty horrible to think about it. Unfortunately, there's not going to be a whole lot of above ground construction for awhile. It's really going to all be underground transportation reconstruction for the next 2-3 years.

My building is, at least 50% vacant right now. Floors 3, 4, 7, and 11-24 save 18 and 19 (out of 24) are all empty. Building is going at a furious rate in Jersey City because of the demand. It's sad really. I feel bad for all of the food locals. The entire business is based on employee breakfast and lunches. If I get stuck at work and am there past 7pm, the whole place is shut down. I mean most all of it. Even the stores in the mall under the trade center all closed at 7 (they were open at 7 as well though). Tourism is such a tiny factor to the economy down there.

I liked square because it was the least cluttered. The tradeoff was that the buildings were all over 60 floors.