Moderators: Abelard, Drolgin Steingrinder

Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Post by Fairweather Pure »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMArJEhVn3A - Teaser

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7yvmL1ndG8 - Full Trailer

Well, those are pretty cool trailers IMO. The cast is pretty good too. The problem? The director is Roland Emmerich, that's the fucking problem. He has given us such gems as 10,000 BC, The Day After Tomorrow, and Independence Day. You can see that he gets chronologically worse, and with 10,000 BC has his last effort (?!), I fear for this movie.

Will 2012 be a a vapid fucking disaster like 10,000 BC, a limp dick although "not bad for a summer blockbuster" like Day After Tomorrow, or will he make another passable film on the same level as Independence Day which was enjoyable despite it's many, many flaws?

He makes good trailers though. Credit where credit is due.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Re: 2012

Post by Winnow »

After my last trip to Costco, I may now have enough toilet paper stocked up to last until 2012...no need to ever get TP again!
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

10 Ways the World Might End:

http://science.discovery.com/videos/way ... might-end/

A light hearted look at the subject.
sarlen
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by sarlen »

Trailer looks pretty decent.
Trek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Trek »

should be fun to watch, always good to see how the world ends for most of us!
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Canelek

Post by Canelek »

Wow. What a blistering, steaming and bubbling pile of shit.

Let me get this out of the way first though--the special effects were very well done, as one can expect from the Disaster Film subgenre of asstastic movies.

Back to the program:

Apparently they were so happy with what their FX people did, they decided to subcontract the screenwriting out to a steno-bum who was a huge fan of every other cheesenut disaster flick. Continuity, character development, originality and suspense were completely out the window. Sitting there for nigh 2.5 hours watching characters that I cared nothing for, doing things that I didn't give a fuck about, made this one boring ass cocksucker of a movie.

Like I said, the CGI was fantastic. The diegetic sound was great as well. Everything else was a outright disaster (oh, the irony).

Also, who the fuck dug up Danny Glover?

2/10 because they didn't create anything new in the CGI department--they just did more of it.
en kærlighed småkager
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

I agree with Canelek.

Bad writing, bad performances. Special Effects were nice but it was more like Three Stooges outrageous on a grand scale because even if the world was ending, it wouldn't look like that and I have no idea how their plane flew so low that they kept having to fly between falling buildings. They also waited comically long while sitting on runways, etc to make their great escapes at easy stop along the way.

We all know what's going to happen in the next few years but this isn't the way it's going down!
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

2 and a half hours!

And what's wrong with Danny Glover? Is he getting too old for that shit?
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

Aslanna wrote:2 and a half hours!

And what's wrong with Danny Glover? Is he getting too old for that shit?

Yes. 2 and a half hours! Maybe that is why they copy & paste so much between screenplay scenes (I love you dad! I love you kids!).

And yes, Mr. Glover was too old for this shit when he said he was too old for this shit. :) Wasn't that like 1987? And I do like Glover. He had absolutely nothing to do in this movie though, just like everyone else.
en kærlighed småkager
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Best line form the movie:

Actor 1: "Aren't you bringing your ex wife?

Actor 2: "She said she never wanted to see me again. So be it!"
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Need a thread merge!
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

Ack. Sorry Fair. I did a search and didn't come back with any hits in this section. The other sections returned too many! :D

I agree on a merge, as this piece of shit movie does not deserve multiple threads! :P
en kærlighed småkager
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

I actually did a search too and came up with nothing but crap. I knew I had mentioned this in the past, but wasn't sure it was on this board or not. I did a manuel search and found it about 3 deep on our movie board :)
Kwonryu DragonFist
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Kwonryu DragonFist »

Heh
Thanks to Thess
---xx0O0xx---
The best site known to man!
--++http://kwonryu.mybrute.com++--
Kwonryu DragonFist
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Kwonryu DragonFist »

Heh
Thanks to Thess
---xx0O0xx---
The best site known to man!
--++http://kwonryu.mybrute.com++--
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: mp72

Post by Sylvus »

Search is still broken from now back until about 2006 or 2007... Rebuilding indices fails a lot, so I have to babysit it. We're about 80% of the way there I'd say.
"It's like these guys take pride in being ignorant." - Barack Obama

Go Blue!
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

The movie was more like Day After Tomorrow and less like 10,000 BC. Every actor was deathly serious in thier role, and since it was so implausible, it kind of made me chuckle instead. Also, 2.5 hours is way too long for a movie like this. 2 hours tops is all that was needed.

I love how no one in the main family seemed to give a shit about any parents, siblings, or close friend they may have had. They never shed a tear or gave them a second thought. Oh look, California is dropping into the ocean. We're literally watching millions of people die. Anyway, let's fly to Yellowstone!

Too bad it was such a mediocre film. The concept always has potential, yet no one seems to be able to pull it off.
Tyek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Tyekk
PSN ID: Tyek

Post by Tyek »

I suppose if I had watched this thinking it was a comedy then maybe it would have been enjoyable, but the amount of stupidity was extreme. Not sure why I am going to spoiler these things, I should point them out so others may avoid the 2.5 hours of frustration I had.
[Show]
RV gets back blown off my falling debris, but tires still there and functioning.

Gordon has a couple lessons, then can fly like a seasoned pro throughout the movie.

Africa has somehow remained the same shape yet has now grown about twice its size

Everyone cheers that the guy who almost killed them survives.

We need to know the little girl has a bladder problem why? It did nothing in the movie, then suddenly they start talking about it.

Hey the boat is going to sink if we don't hurry. Wait it is time for life lessons with mom and dad. Ok now go quick, wait. Even though your boyfiend was just crushed, lets have a tender moment between John and his ex wife. Ok good now go save everyone, WAIT. The son has come to help, lets talk more about the situation.

John Cusak falls to his death in an RV with no clear means of escape, yet somehow he climbs out of the hole and his ex wife can see the knuckles of his finger even as they were cruising down the runwaystopping the plane from taking off and leaving him.

The blonde Russian drowns, yet the other two adjoining areas stay shallow enough to let our hero's live.

I could go on, but what is the point.

Look, I love stupid movies. I don't mind suspending belief, but 2012 just went with the throw action on the screen. "Oh Shit we need a plot" concept.
When I was younger, I used to think that the world was doing it to me and that the world owes me some thing…When you're a teeny bopper, that's what you think. I'm 40 now, I don't think that anymore, because I found out it doesn't f--king work. One has to go through that. For the people who even bother to go through that, most assholes just accept what it is anyway and get on with it." - John Lennon
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Even with what you just wrote, I could add another couple of paragraphs of similar criticisms. It really wasn't a very good movie.
Tyek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Tyekk
PSN ID: Tyek

Post by Tyek »

oh, I fully agree. I just pointed out some of the more obvious.

On IMDB, someone said this one joins the list of movies so bad that they become awesome. I just did not get that from this movie. I like Independence Day, despite the stupid things like giving alien technology a computer virus with a Mac, but this one was just so stupid and pushed me so far I could not enjoy the mindless action. I mean do we really need 3 "almost died" plane takeoffs? As someone pointed out no one seems to give a crap about the people who died, and the dramatic moments were like a bad SNL skit.
When I was younger, I used to think that the world was doing it to me and that the world owes me some thing…When you're a teeny bopper, that's what you think. I'm 40 now, I don't think that anymore, because I found out it doesn't f--king work. One has to go through that. For the people who even bother to go through that, most assholes just accept what it is anyway and get on with it." - John Lennon