NHL Playoffs '09

What do you think about the sports world?
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: mp72

Re: NHL Playoffs '09

Post by Sylvus »

"It's like these guys take pride in being ignorant." - Barack Obama

Go Blue!
Xouqoa
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Xouqoa

Post by Xouqoa »

I hope Darren Helm gets a raise next year.

Pens/Wings should be a good series.
"Our problems are man-made, therefore they may be solved by man. No problem of human destiny is beyond human beings." - John F Kennedy
Wulfran
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Wulfran »

I was kinda disappointed in the conference finals. The playoffs to this point had been exciting but it seemed that both the Blackhawks and the Hurricanes just didn't have anything left against the Penguins and Wings. I think this should be a good matchup for the final though. One of the emerging young teams against the team that has probably been the most consistent in the last decade.I heard a guy in sports bar saying "The Wings are almost the New England Patriots of the NHL minus the dickheadedness of Bill Belicheck" and I sorta agreed :p

Here's my breakdown.

Forwards - Crosby, Malkin, Staal and Co. vs Franzen, Zetterberg, Datsyuk and Co. Wow. One of the deepest forward groups in hockey against two of the top three players in the game. The talent level is simply amazing. The Pens have an edge in scoring while the Wings have an edge in defensive commitment. Crosby has emerged in this post season as the player I think the scouts all saw he could be and fans wanted him to be: his determination is visibile. Malkin is enigmatic at times but he's found his stride and is making a lot of plays and showing confidence as well. Franzen's streak may be over but the man is a playoff scoring machine, and you can never underestimate Holmstrom and Zetterberg in front of the net (its not just goalie interference :p). Overall I'll give the edge to Pittsburgh, mostly because Datsyuk is hurting and no one can simply pretend that doesn't create a hole in your game plan.

Defense - I'm liking the Wings here. Even without Nick Lidstrom, the Wings have a lot of talent and experience, and IMO experience matters most at this point in the season. Add that the Pens number one guy, Sergei Gonchar is hurtnig a bit and it makes this one of the easiest categories to compare.

Goaltending - On bare bones, talent and ability, I'd take Marc-Andre Fleury over Chris Osgood any day of the week. That doesn't say it all though. Osgood again has the experience factor, both as a starter and back up and although he may not be the flashiest or most talented guy to ever strap on goalie pads, he has a tremendous competitive streak and almost an aura: he just wins games somehow. It may be spectacular or it can be ugly as sin but Osgood seems to find a way to elevate his game when he's needed most. Fleury has had some consistency issues in regular seasons but in the post season has looked very good, setting the tone for his team as well against a very high powered Washington Capitals offense. Call this a draw to me.

Special teams - The Detroit powerplay is humming at 25.7% but their penalty killing is pretty weak in the playoffs at 73.6%. Conversely Pittsburgh is struggling a bit on the PP at 19.3% but their penalty killing is stronger at 83.6%. The teams are coming in almost dead even on PIM per game (11.1 and 11.2 minutes). If you rate the numbers as equal it shows a slight edge to the Pens, but I think that scoring on the PP is always tougher to fix than killing penalties so I'll give a slight nod to the Wings here but I think these numbers show its important to stay out of the penalty box for both teams.

Intangibles - Detroit is the defending champions. They played a slightly longer semi-final series (or conference fina if you prefer) but have played one less game. The injury bug is arguably more severe to Detroit but it also lands on their depth: they have a wealth of quality forwards to insert for Datsyuk and defense for Lidstrom. Pittsburgh's depth, especially at defense may be a weakness, especially if Gonchar's knee isn't 100% or he hurts it again. The experience factor is firmly on the Wings' side but last year's run helped even that a bit and losing gives the Pens a bit more of the hunger factor. Gonna give the edge to the Wings.

In the end, I'm cheering for the Pens but I think the Wings will win in 6.
Wulfran Moondancer
Stupid Sidekick of the Lambent Dorf
Petitioner to Club Bok Bok
Founding Member of the Barbarian Nation Movement
Kluden
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kluden »

I think the "semi final" round was fantastic. No, it didn't have the drama of first two rounds, but the two teams moving on to the cup finals showed for damn sure why they are going. Not a soul alive can say neither team earned it 100%, and proved it 100%.

Pullen' for the Pens again, black and gold till I die, so obviously, hoping for a different result than last year! Best of luck to both teams of course, let's see some good, clean, hockey.
Trek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Trek »

I hope to god the Pens pull it off, I dont need to see another Redwing championship in my lifetime
Wulfran
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Wulfran »

shit Trek you just jinxed the Pens. Your teams ALWAYS lose *cough*LA Queens*cough*
Wulfran Moondancer
Leonaerd
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Leonaerd »

It's been another year of Red Wing youngins outplaying established teams' front lines. The potential for further championships is frightening when you consider how good they already are and how well they grow talent.

Wings in 5. Ozzie throws game 4 so they can win in Motown.
Leonaerd
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Leonaerd »

Abdelkader > Crosby + Malkin
Wulfran
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Wulfran »

Leonaerd wrote:Abdelkader > Crosby + Malkin
No.

Abdelkader is playing on a team that is functioning as one unit. Crosby and Malkin look like superstars trying to carry a team. Big difference and fatal one unless the Pens can get on the same page. Not sayign its over, because the Washington Penguin series started in similar fashion, but Washington didn't have Lidstrom, Rafalski et al (or a certain Rodney Dangerfield type in net who just finds ways to win...)
Wulfran Moondancer
Xouqoa
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Xouqoa »

lol @ Rodney Dangerfield comment, because it's true.

I read a lot about "Chris Osgood isn't that great", and maybe it is true, but he gets the job done. Truth is, with the rest of the team in front of him he doesn't NEED to be that good. He makes the saves when they count though, and has been particularly good this year in the playoffs I think.
"Our problems are man-made, therefore they may be solved by man. No problem of human destiny is beyond human beings." - John F Kennedy
Trek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Trek »

Leonaerd wrote:Abdelkader > Crosby + Malkin

So if the Pens replaced Crosby and Malkin with him the would be up 2-0 on the wings? Do you seriously think the Pens would have made the playoffs? Im guessing they would have made the lotto instead
Wulfran
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Wulfran »

Xouqoa wrote:lol @ Rodney Dangerfield comment, because it's true.

I read a lot about "Chris Osgood isn't that great", and maybe it is true, but he gets the job done. Truth is, with the rest of the team in front of him he doesn't NEED to be that good. He makes the saves when they count though, and has been particularly good this year in the playoffs I think.
Wulfran wrote:All he does is win.

Thats why I've never understood the Detroit front office attitude, bringing in Hasek, Cujo et al. If the team in front of the goalie quits, you lose: it doesn't matter who it is. That was the problem with Cujo in Detroit too: it wasn't that he didn't play well but the players in front of him didn't want to win enough. Now the guys like Holmstrom, Zetterberg, Datsyuk et al have learned the Gospel of Stevie Y and it gives the goaltender a chance, especially when they are a fighter like Osgood. All that being said, I still hope Pittsburgh rallies and wins :p but I just don't see it.
Wulfran Moondancer
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: mp72

Post by Sylvus »

Wulfran wrote:All that being said, I still hope Pittsburgh rallies and wins :p but I just don't see it.
I think I heard that after a team goes down 2-0 in the Stanley Cup Finals, that team has won 1 out of 32 times. So there is still a chance! ;)
"It's like these guys take pride in being ignorant." - Barack Obama

Go Blue!
Xouqoa
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Xouqoa »

Well, if Pitt wins tomorrow night the series is even. If they can steal game 5 in Detroit, suddenly it is 3-2 Pittsburgh. Last year, no chance. This year, it is possible.

I think the series will go 7 with the home team winning every game, though.
Kluden
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kluden »

That sounds about right to me too, xou. Obviously I'm hoping Pitt can "steal" one in detroit, but I could see Detroit stealing one right back at Pitt.
Xouqoa
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Xouqoa »

God, what a horrible second period for Detroit in that game. SH goal and two defensive gaffes that lead to goals. I think that was the worst I've seen them all playoff season.
Trek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Trek »

I dunno Xou, I thought the Wings played that game perfectly! :D
Xouqoa
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Xouqoa »

What a blowout tonight. Be interesting to see if the Penguins can get back on track at home or not. I think they can, but we'll see.
Xouqoa
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Xouqoa »

Xouqoa wrote:I think the series will go 7 with the home team winning every game, though.
Part of that statement has come true. I hope the second part does, too.
Leonaerd
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Leonaerd »

If Cleary had scored that breakaway goal with < 2:00 left, I and about 50 other people in the bar / restaurant would have started a violent riot, overturning tables, breaking pool cues and causing many children to cry. (Un)fortunately, we settled on coining the name McCauley Malkin.
Wulfran
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Wulfran »

Wulfran wrote:In the end, I'm cheering for the Pens but I think the Wings will win in 6.
I'm wrong on the number of games, so I hope I'm wrong on the pick too! Die Swedes IRL!111!!!
Wulfran Moondancer
Kluden
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kluden »

Game Seven...everything the NHL ever wanted. I wish these games were on Versus...I can't stand NBC's coverage, its a joke.

So, this season's playoffs have been the highest rated in how long? I'm happy to see hockey is back! Let's go Good Guys!
Xouqoa
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Xouqoa »

Well that was a bit anti-climatic seeing how the Wings didn't bother to do a whole lot until the last 10 minutes of the game. Again.

Oh well. How much does it suck to be Marian Hossa right now? I can't imagine the anguish he is feeling.

OH IRONY, THOU ART A CRUEL MISTRESS!
Kluden
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kluden »

Yeah, I feel bad for him...but he made the choice...and let's face it, there's a pretty F'ing good chance the wings will be there again in 12 months.

I thought that was a great, edge of your seat, game seven. Amazingly great goaltending tonight by both netminders. I couldn't have asked for more out of this series.
Leonaerd
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Leonaerd »

i was in downtown d-town for the game, watching from the best seat in the fillmore. I got hammered somehow, made it home somehow, and cried myself to sleep.

next year! abdelkader / helm / franzen will explode our superstar team into the next tier of legend.
masteen
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by masteen »

And without Sid for most of the game. Go Pens! Put that Cup next to the Super Bowl trophy.
"There is at least as much need to curb the cruel greed and arrogance of part of the world of capital, to curb the cruel greed and violence of part of the world of labor, as to check a cruel and unhealthy militarism in international relationships." -Theodore Roosevelt
Kluden
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kluden »

Detroit has a few unrestricted and restricted free agents coming up this year...will be interesting to see if they can keep them. My thought would be, Hossa is out, and his money goes to the raises and contract renegotiations that will take place.

Overall, Detroit is in a better position than most teams.

The penguins, on the other hand, have an absolute shit ton of free agents this year that are on the 1.5+ mill payroll. I don't see this penguins team staying together for the next season, unless other teams have no interest in their free agents...but lets face it, they won a cup, so all their values will be artificially inflated due to that alone.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: miir1

Post by miir »

What a great series.
Truly, hockey at its best.
I've got 99 problems and I'm not dealing with any of them - Lay-Z
Wulfran
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Wulfran »

My big thing was I wanted a good series and we got a very good if not great one. Almost the entire playoffs were a lot of fun to watch (unless you were a fan of one of the teams who was swept :p) and the sports media seemed to take notice. Its time it was over but it was a nice run. I'm not sure I'm betting on Detroit to necessarily be the Western finalist again next year but you have to respect what they have done as an organization: they will still be a contender. The Pens, it will be interesting to see. Crosby and Malkin are locked up long term, so it comes down to if guys are willing to take a little less than they might get from free agency as a chance to play on a team that has proven to have the ability to get there and now win.

The one sour note for me was I read the Edmonton papers yesterday (was up there visiting a friend) and some jackass from the Canadian Press gave Osgood a "B" as a grade on his performance. The poor bugger was Detroit's Conn Smythe guy, from the way he played but STILL people don't want to give him any love...
Wulfran Moondancer
Kluden
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kluden »

I think the penguin free agents I would worry about most would be Guerin (assuming he doesn't retire), Fedotenko, Zigomanis (he was injured, so no one knows him still...so that's good), and for defence Gill and Scuderi. I think the rest could leave and be replaced with equal. Guerin, Fedotenko, and Gill are all 2+ mill guys...so it will be interesting to see what kind of offers they get, and if they are willing to stay in Pitt for less money.

I'm almost positive that Satan won't be a problem to sign up for less than what his contract was when they got him at the trade deadline. I don't think there's a boatload of teams looking for him.

Gill and Fedotenko got a lot of "air time" and commentator talk during the entire playoffs...so they are hyped and primed to cash in...I just pray they stay for the raises they will undoubtedly be offered by the pens.