Another Euro Imprisoned Story

What do you think about the world?
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Another Euro Imprisoned Story

Post by Winnow »

What is it with Euros and captive people in basements? This one's pretty sad.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/WORLD/europe/04 ... index.html
'House of Horror' children never saw daylight

AMSTETTEN, Austria (CNN) -- Three children freed from a cellar in which their mother had been imprisoned and raped by her own father for 24 years had never seen daylight, police in Austria have confirmed.

Police spokesman Franz Polzer told CNN that 73-year-old Josef Fritzl admitted holding his daughter, Elisabeth Fritzl, 42, hostage in the windowless cell and fathering seven children by her.

"The mother had memories [of the outside world] and got used to the situation," Polzer told a press conference Monday afternoon. "The others knew nothing else."

The main question reverberating from the small Austrian town: how could a man keep his daughter locked in his basement for 24 years, where she gave birth to seven of his children while her mother and three of those children lived upstairs without an inkling of the horrors in the cellar?

Fritzl explained Elisabeth's disappearance by saying she had run away from home, a story backed up by letters he forced Elisabeth to write, including one that begged her parents not to look for her.

Other letters made it seem the missing daughter had left the three children on the parents' doorstep -- when in fact they had been born in captivity in the family's basement.

Elisabeth told police that she and her three children Kerstin, 19; Stefan, 18; and Felix, 5, did not see the light of day during their entire time in captivity underneath the building in Amstetten, a rural town about 150 km (93 miles) west of Vienna.

Elisabeth is described as "very disturbed" and having trouble talking to police about her ordeal, reports CNN correspondent Fred Pleitgen. She went missing in 1984, when she was 18 years old, police have said.

More details also emerged at the news conference about the basement dungeon in which the daughter and her children were kept -- and how her father managed to keep them captive for more than two decades. VideoSee inside the cellar prison »

The authorities have revealed that the prison, constructed in the basement of the 1960s building, ran underneath both the building itself and the garden outside.

The entrance was via a small door, hidden behind cupboards in the basement, controlled by an electronic keyless-entry system. Polzer said that the prison was hard to find, even if someone was looking for it, and had been soundproofed.

"Even though they shouted and called they were not in a position to let anyone hear them," Polzer told the press conference.

Polzer said that Fritzl made clear to his wife and other children that the area was out of bounds and they were not to go into the basement. He bought food and took it to his captives in the evening.

Detectives made the grim discovery about the cellar earlier this month after Kerstin was hospitalized in Amstetten after falling unconscious and taken to a hospital in Amstetten by her grandfather with a SOS note from her mother hidden on her.

A DNA test was later carried out which revealed her grandfather, Josef Fritzl, was also her father, according to ORF, Austria's state-run news agency.

That sparked a police investigation, which revealed that Fritzl fathered at least six children with his daughter, forcing her and three of the surviving children to live in the cellar of his house, according to ORF's Peter Schmitzberger. VideoWatch police describe the captives' jail »

On Sunday, police searched the hidden rooms where Fritzl admitted he kept his daughter and their children, including sleeping quarters, a kitchen and a bathroom, which Fritzl told police he built, Polzer said.

Amstetten police say they were put on Fritzl's trail following an anonymous tip off. They apprehended the pair on Saturday near the hospital and once police assured the daughter that she would never have contact with her father again, "she was able to tell the whole story," Schmitzberger said.

Elisabeth said her father began sexually abusing her at age 11. On August 8, 1984 -- weeks before she was reported missing -- her father enticed her into the basement, where he drugged her, put her in handcuffs and locked her in a room, she told police.

For the next 24 years, she was constantly raped by her father, resulting in the six surviving children, she said, according to the police statement.

She also told police she gave birth to twins in 1996, but one of the babies died a few days later as a result of neglect, and Fritzl removed the infant's body and burned it in an oven.

She told police that only her father supplied her and her children with food and clothing, and that she did not think his wife knew anything about their situation

Fritzl lived upstairs with his wife, Rosemarie, who police said had no idea about her husband's other family living in the cellar. The couple adopted three of the children that Fritzl had with his daughter, according to police. He told his wife that his missing daughter had dropped the unwanted children off at the house because she could not take care of them, police said.

When Kerstin fell ill, Fritzl apparently told his wife and the hospital that his "missing" daughter had dropped off the sick girl on his doorstep.

In an effort to find out about Kerstin's condition, the hospital and police asked the media to put out a bulletin requesting any information about the girl or her missing mother, attorney general Gerhard Sedlacek told NTV.

Sometime later, Fritzl brought Elisabeth out of the cellar, telling his wife that she had returned home with her two children after a 24-year absence, police said.

He took Elisabeth to the hospital to talk with doctors about Kerstin's condition, and at that point, authorities became aware of her situation, Sedlacek said.
Ashur
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Re: Another Euro Imprisoned Story

Post by Ashur »

Whew, I thought it was going to be another Gitmo story...

Yeah, what a freakshow/nutball. Those poor kids (including/especially his daughter).
- Ash
Siji
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: mAcK 624
PSN ID: mAcK_624
Wii Friend Code: 7304853446448491

Post by Siji »

How does an 18 year old not overpower some old man that's holding them captive?

I call bullshit.
Ashur
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Ashur »

I wondered the same thing, but given the cramped conditions and lack of sunlight (and the horrible inbreeding....) I doubt he's the strapping young man he could be. I also factored in the fact that there's likely mental conditioning and this huge steel door he has the code to.

I could see it happening (and it did)...

I still have to wonder that his wife didn't pick up on all this for 24 years.
- Ash
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

Ashur wrote:I still have to wonder that his wife didn't pick up on all this for 24 years.
Especially when the "missing" daughter supposedly kept dropping random kids off on the doorstep, which only the father saw happen.
masteen
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by masteen »

Never underestimate the power of denial.
"There is at least as much need to curb the cruel greed and arrogance of part of the world of capital, to curb the cruel greed and violence of part of the world of labor, as to check a cruel and unhealthy militarism in international relationships." -Theodore Roosevelt
Noysyrump
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Noysyrump »

20 years in a cellar, with no sunlight nor excercise. Did the cellar have a fully fuctional lavoratory? What was the food intake like? All the rats she could catch? Or was 'daddy' sending down full square meals without mom finding out? Either way, 20 years in a cellar, popping out 7 kids? With all this in mind, I must call BULLSHIT. As noone could find this attractive. Not even something a father could 'love'. Rape? god no. I couldnt even get payed for it.
Sick Balls!
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: mp72

Post by Sylvus »

Most of your questions are answered in the article that is quoted at the top of this thread.
"It's like these guys take pride in being ignorant." - Barack Obama

Go Blue!
Kilmoll the Sexy
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: bunkeru2k

Post by Kilmoll the Sexy »

At least this answers the question of where kyoukan has been
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Nick
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Nick »

Unfathomably horrific.
Metanis
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Metanis »

Kilmoll the Sexy wrote:At least this answers the question of where kyoukan has been

OMG, Cart would have sooooooooo loved this post!!!!!

:)
Siji
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: mAcK 624
PSN ID: mAcK_624
Wii Friend Code: 7304853446448491

Post by Siji »

Good thing he's locked in a cellar somewhere.

Being banned.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Austria's Fritzl gets life in psychiatric prison
ST. POELTEN, Austria – Josef Fritzl was sentenced to life in a psychiatric ward Thursday for one of Austria's most notorious crimes: Locking his daughter in a dungeon for 24 years, fathering her seven children and letting one die in captivity as a newborn.

Fritzl, 73, sat calmly and bowed his head as a jury convicted him of all the charges against him — homicide, enslavement, rape, incest, forced imprisonment and coercion. After locking eyes with his lawyer, he waived his right to appeal, ending a case that has drawn revulsion worldwide.

The homicide count — "murder by neglect" in German — was the most serious charge, and the jury gave Fritzl the maximum punishment allowed.

"I regret it with all my heart ... I can't make it right anymore," Fritzl told the court hours before the verdicts were announced.

Fritzl remained under a suicide watch, according to Erich Huber-Guensthofer, deputy head of the St. Poelten prison where Fritzl has been held.

Court spokesman Franz Cutka said Fritzl would eventually be taken to a secure psychiatric ward for mentally deranged criminals. Other court authorities said the exact facility had not been chosen yet.

Officials said Fritzl would not be eligible for parole for at least 15 years and judges and psychiatric experts would have to concur with any decision to free him. He will also have to pay court costs. The 11 months Fritzl already has spent in pretrial detention will count toward his parole.

Huber-Guensthofer said Fritzl will remain jailed in St. Poelten, west of Vienna, until he is transferred to Vienna's Mittersteig prison for assessment. There, experts will determine how dangerous Fritzl is and whether therapy might help ease the threat he poses.

During the trial, psychiatrist Adelheid Kastner told the court that Fritzl had a serious personality disorder and would pose a threat to others if freed.

Fritzl will undergo treatment as well as yearly assessments in the psychiatric ward of the prison he ends up in. Still, officials said if he was deemed cured, he would be transferred to the prison's general population to serve the remainder of his sentence.

Fritzl abruptly changed his stance and pleaded guilty Wednesday to all counts against him after Elisabeth — the daughter he locked in a cramped, windowless cell when she was 18 — showed up in court as 11 hours of her prerecorded testimony were played.

Lawyer Rudolf Mayer said Fritzl decided to stop contesting the homicide and enslavement counts after seeing his daughter and watching her heart-wrenching videotape.

In her closing argument, prosecutor Christiane Burkheiser urged the jury to think about Elisabeth's long and harrowing ordeal and deliver the maximum sentence.

"Don't be duped like Elisabeth was 24 years ago," she said, referring to the moment when Fritzl tricked his daughter and locked her into the rat-infested dungeon he built beneath the family's home in Amstetten.

Elisabeth, now 42, and her six surviving children, who range in age from 6 to 20, have spent months recovering in a psychiatric clinic and at a secret location. Prosecutors described her as a "broken" woman after enduring constant rapes — some in front of her children.

The homicide charge stemmed from the 1996 death in captivity of her infant son. Prosecutors contend the ailing newborn — a male twin called Michael — might have survived if Fritzl had arranged for medical care.

"Any amateur could have determined that the child was in the throes of death for 66 hours," Burkheiser said, arguing that Fritzl should be locked up for the rest of his life for refusing to intervene and save the baby's life.

Police say DNA tests prove Fritzl is the biological father of all six surviving children, three of whom never saw daylight until the crime was exposed 11 months ago.

The three other children were brought upstairs to be raised by Fritzl and his wife, Rosemarie, who was led by Fritzl to believe they were abandoned by Elisabeth when she ran off as a teenager.

Mayer, his lawyer, never argued that Fritzl was innocent. At one point in Thursday's closing statement, he even admitted that Fritzl had raped his daughter 3,000 times.

Like Fritzl, Mayer seemed resigned to the outcome.

"The life sentence was a consequence of his confession," Mayer told reporters after the jury's decision.

At a news conference after the verdict, court officials said Elisabeth could bring a separate civil case against Fritzl to seek damages for her suffering, adding there was no limit to what she could request.

They said the Austrian government would join in on bankruptcy proceedings that Fritzl recently initiated, and said the process could involve selling his seven real estate holdings — including the house in Amstetten where he held his daughter.

They also said Fritzl would have to secure permission from Austria's Justice Ministry if he wanted to write and sell his memoirs.

The Associated Press normally withholds the names of victims of sexual assault. In this case, withholding Elisabeth's name became impractical when her name and her father's were announced publicly by police and details about them became the subject of publicity both in their home country and around the world.

Obviously her fault for going down into the basement to begin with. Where's the personal responsibility!
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Bubba Grizz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Bubba Grizz »

Yeah I couldn't read this. I got through the first paragraph and stopped. Too sad for me. :(
Gzette
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Gzette »

Aslanna wrote:Obviously her fault for going down into the basement to begin with. Where's the personal responsibility!
As horrific as this story is, I LOLd bigtime at this one. I mean, obviously the attic was a bad part of town, she should've known better.
Gzette Shizette - EQ - 70 Ranger - Veeshan - retired
Bobbysue - WoW - 70 Hunter - Hyjal - <Hooac>
HOOAC 4 EVAH!

knock knock
who's there
OH I JUST ATE MY OWN BALLS
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Mayer, his lawyer, never argued that Fritzl was innocent. At one point in Thursday's closing statement, he even admitted that Fritzl had raped his daughter 3,000 times.

That's only a raping every 2.19 days. Over half the days down there she wasn't being raped.
rhyae
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by rhyae »

I wonder if Fritzl had a contingency plan if he got hit by a bus or died of a heart attack, or if he would have just let them all slowly starve to death in the cellar.
Ashur
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Ashur »

I'm guessing Option 2. He was not a nice man.
- Ash
Nick
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Nick »

It's a really terrible story. I am glad his daughter is now free and his kids can at least begin the slow road back to some sort of normality in their lives. This is a really awful story by any standards, nice to see Winnow going down the national route, talk about throwing stones from glass houses.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Pipe down. St Patty's Day is over. Back to irrelevance for you.
Nick
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Nick »

It's spelled Paddy's you dopey twat. Maybe you could impress whatever mongoloid family you have with that new shared fact.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Nick wrote:It's spelled Paddy's you dopey twat. Maybe you could impress whatever mongoloid family you have with that new shared fact.

You are correct.

There are more pictures of drunk assholes when I search for St Paddy's as opposed to St Patty's.
paddy wagons," the large vehicles used for rounding up drunks.
Nice.
Nick
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Nick »

Hey Winnow, go look up Chomsky so you can start contemplating any issue at all with any degree of knowledge with the rest of the boys in the playground, you dumb fuck.

It's Off topic I know, but with morons like you, this advice is always on topic.
Drasta
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Drasta »

crazy people .... didn't something like this happen earlier in 08?
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

This is from early 08... Just the sentencing was recent.
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--