Fallout 3 (360)

Get off the damn computer, and play with your TV, it misses you!

Moderators: Funkmasterr, noel

Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Fallout 3 (360)

Post by Winnow »

I just got done playing this game for about three hours. (not out for another 2-3 weeks but the newsgroups have the 360 version)

First impressions:(no spoilers)

Character Generation

Very cool. Best yet IMO. You start making choices about your character right when you pop out of your mother's womb. You don't just get flooded with screens with decisions to make. They integrate it into the story. As with Bioshock, the UI and menus are outstanding and far from the generic stuff you typically see in games.

There are some presets for male and female characters but there is a Tiger Woods depth type face generator if you want to take the time to make a very detailed face the way you want it. Detail on the faces is high with blemishes, etc. The interface for doing this is nice and keeps you in the atmosphere of the game.

Your initial ability choices are presented to you in a cool way as well.

Progression

The story is much more interesting than Oblivion's right off the bat. (I can't even remember what that storyline was). I compare it to Oblivion because there are some similarities. You spend about 2 hours of game time learning about things before you head off into the rest of the world. This equates to the time in Oblivion that you spend in the sewers although it's a hell of a lot more entertaining in Fallout 3.

Like Oblivion, when leaving the sewers, you have the option in Fallout 3 to change your gender and modify all of your stats before you make your final exit into the world.

Fallout 3 offers many ways to develop your character so there's no concern in that department. Your Pipboy 3000 is very well done and doesn't take long to get familiar with.

There is a test you take, again integrated very well into the story, that asks you multiple questions and you are assigned a job depending on your answers. The questions are whacky so it's not easy to try and guess which way to answer and you don't know what the outcome is anyway.

The initial time spent before you start the rest of the game still doesn't give enough experiences to figure out which stats and abilities are best for how you want to play your character. One thing's for sure, your charisma and speech talents are important in this game so don't ignore those.

Feel of the Game

It's got the high quality look and feel of Bioshock. Excellent graphics. One thing I was happy to see was that the NPCs faces and uniqueness look much much better than Oblivion's. Each NPC you run into has a varied look that you'll remember. So far, even the wandering NPCs are memorable.

The first ~2 hours (may take you less if you rush but I like to take my time) is pretty linear. Not so after you hit the open world. Your radar has an indicator of where you should be heading (depending on what quest is active) but the world is wide open.

I started a female character in this game but might switch to male. I think everyone in the game is killable. It does have the feel that your choices matter and aren't in a linear fashion. I killed someone and it definitely had an impact on someone I had known since I was 10. Your age stops are birth, 1 year old, 10 years, 16 years and 19 years I think. (not sure on the last one)

You can certainly be a ruthless bastard in Fallout 3, be a nicer type, or anywhere in between. I don't get the feeling that you have to stay on one path or the other. I did notice "you gained some karma" text float off the screen when I did something though so it matters.

Combat

Not bad. typical melee, ranged, hand to hand type options as well as specialties in weapon types like laser/plasma, big guns, small guns, melee weapons, explosives, or hand to hand bonuses.

What's different is the stop action VAT system. While in combat, you hit the right bumper to stop time, you can then select areas of your target's body that you want to attack. These areas have varying percentage chances to hit as well as specific health bars associated with them. After you select what you want, a slo mo Matrix type sequence is carried out. The results are pretty gory. They didn't hold back on the blood and guts. This VAT system is governed by Action Points. If you use it, you lose some of those.

With four or five combat types to train in, it's hard to figure out where to put your points early in the game. Each level, you also get to choose a "perk" these perks do different things and can be leveled up as well. So you've got XP points, ability points, points to go toward your DnD type stats, perks to choose, repair and creation skills for weapons, etc.

I haven't even gotten my pooch "Dog Meat" yet.

Voice acting is very good IMO.

I don't know if you can do it from the start of the game, but it took me until near the end of the initial intro part before I could see myself in third person view. After trying both, staying in first person view is the best for most of the time IMO.

Items you can wear seem varied. I already have three or four things I can wear that offer different stats. I took a drink out of a toilet and got hit for -14 RADs.

------------

Verdict: WINNER!

This is a no brainer for anyone that lkes RPGs with lots of character development and stats to work over. A lot of kill stats are tracked for you as well.
Hesten
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Re: Fallout 3 (360)

Post by Hesten »

Sounds great . Of course, i only expect great from Fallout 3, i think i need to buy a new PC before it come out :)
"Terrorism is the war of the poor, and war is the terrorism of the rich"
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

:twisted:

Early on, there some resource issues to deal with. You can't go firing away like mad as ammo is in short supply. Even your melee weapons seem to degrade pretty fast.

I made a choice and got some caps (game money) but before that, I was eating rat meat, etc to try and keep my health up. Your health does not regenerate over time except when you sleep which makes eating all sort so stuff necessary to regain health.

I'm hoping resource management lightens up a bit. Right now it's more stringent than Bioshock was with ammo.

Figured out how to view yourself in 360 mode while in third person. Hold down the left bumper and you can rotate around your character.

Everything looks great in this game except for your own animation while walking/running around. You kind of run sideways and look gimpy. Plenty of different clothes to wear and try out. There's a way to change your hairstyle later in the game (at least with the route I took). Night and day cycles seem pretty fast. You can click the back button and enter how long you want to wait though. Important if you're heading out into the Wastelands. Night seemed a lot more active with critters.
Kryshade
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by Kryshade »

Need more Winnow review goodness for this game!!

It's weird, between work, a 16 month old daughter, home etc, I get MAYBE 1 hour a week to play video games anymore. I don't get the chance to try out games like I used to, and I find myself less and less excited about games.

Everynow and then though, one comes along that I'll make time to play, and this looks like one of them. I'm really looking forward to the release date, so until then, need more Winnow writeup with screenshots if possible!
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Kryshade wrote:Need more Winnow review goodness for this game!!

It's weird, between work, a 16 month old daughter, home etc, I get MAYBE 1 hour a week to play video games anymore. I don't get the chance to try out games like I used to, and I find myself less and less excited about games.

Everynow and then though, one comes along that I'll make time to play, and this looks like one of them. I'm really looking forward to the release date, so until then, need more Winnow writeup with screenshots if possible!
It's that time of year when a bunch of good games are released in a short span of time.

I plan to get back to Fallout soon but had to try Fables 2 and maybe Farcry 2. Don't like scary stuff or I'd try out Dead Space which looks good. Unfortunately I can't take screenshots with the 360 unless I took a real screenshot with my camera.

Fallout 3 is the one to look forward to the most so far.

I'd rank the recent games I've tried:

1. Fallout 3: best overall game. graphics, story, depth, different than the norm
2. Fables 2: high quality overall, story, too soon to tell depth and consequences from choices. (you find that out quick in Fallout 3)
3. Saints Row 2: best pick up and have fun whenever game. Doesn't take itself seriously, lots to do, GTAIV clone with less story but more chaos, couple glitches with the graphics and controls, outstanding character and other customizations. I find the thuggish gangster stuff funny as opposed to a turn off in the game.
4. Mercenaries 2: also a fun game to pick up and play, more of a story than Saints Row 2. Some control glitches. Both SR2 and Merc 2 will satisfy your needs to cause mayhem but it seems more fun to cause chaos in the city of SR than jungles, etc in Merc2.
*~*stragi*~*
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: kimj0ngil

Post by *~*stragi*~* »

this game is a giant piece of shit just like the first one
*~*stragi*~*
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: kimj0ngil

Post by *~*stragi*~* »

oh sorry i thought this was fable 2 nevermind
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Post by Fairweather Pure »

I've been enjoying this so far for the 360. Having only recently gotten into Oblivion, I'll say that they are similar in a large number of ways. You can tell they are made by the same company. I'm finding myself drawn more into the Fallout 3 backdrop. My wife is even interested in starting her own character because she liked how the character was introduced into the game setting.

I just walked out into the world and found Megaton, so we'll see where the game goes from here!

I've bought 5 games within a couple of weeks, so I'm spreading my play time around a lot. I'll get back to Fallout 3 soon though.
cadalano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by cadalano »

fallout 3 is similar to oblivion but really the only reason you'd even think to draw a comparison is because they were the same developer. i personally hated oblivion, and for anyone that felt the same way i did about it.. i'll just say that there's nothing to be afraid of in fallout 3.

fallout 3, unlike oblivion, does not blow ass. it has respectable graphics... but far from perfect.. character animations are pretty basic and completely unrealistic.. and the modeling is somewhat bland.. but its lightyears beyond the SHITSTORM modeling and animations in Oblivion. You'll want to play this in first person so you don't have your character's goofy animations destroying your immersion constantly. characters aside, they did a fantastic job with the environment considering how much they had to create for the enormous playing area. you'll see ruined cities, obviously.. but also abandoned baseball fields.. drive-in movie theatres.. old army housing communities.. picnic areas.. the remains of superhighways and bridges.. all extremely well executed. These are just a few of the things that I discovered after 8~ hours of playing.

more departure from oblivion... Fallout 3 has actually stimulating content. compelling characters & story, well-written dialog that you will actually not want to click through, lots of talented voice acting, and its in a setting that is not totally overdone, unlike the fantasy RPG.

some of the downsides that carry over from oblivion are there... the interface is somewhat poor in general.. and there's a few dumbfuck retarded design decisions that blow my mind.. like having no buttons to quickly pull up submenus.. maps, inventory, quests, character, etc.. you pull them all up via your point-and-click pip-boy simply because they didn't make hotkeys for them. WTF.

you can only have one weapon out at a time, if you want a new weapon you have to open up your pip boy, click to the weapons section if you aren't already looking at it, and then scroll+click on your new weapon. theres no hotkeys at all.

also, you'll spend apalling amounts of time searching through mounds and mounds of garbage items and empty containers looking for things that you might need.

the best feature is combat. the VATS system is everything they huffed it up to be- just flat out awesome. not sure if an explanation can do it justice, but there's plenty of videos out there. its like bullet-time action injected into what would otherwise be a boring ass turn based hybrid combat system.

all in all, i think the game is fantastic, but there are too many glaring braindead-stupid design decisions for the game to be receiving the insane near-perfect ratings its been getting. but that piece of shit oblivion could get such great ratings then this has to do even better, i spose.
I TOLD YOU ID SHOOT! BUT YOU DIDNT BELIEVE ME! WHY DIDNT YOU BELIEVE ME?
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: mp72

Post by Sylvus »

cadalano wrote:you can only have one weapon out at a time, if you want a new weapon you have to open up your pip boy, click to the weapons section if you aren't already looking at it, and then scroll+click on your new weapon. theres no hotkeys at all.
You can hotkey up to 8 weapons to the different directions on the D-pad (if you're playing on 360).

While in the pip boy, (I think - going from memory here) you have to hit the right shoulder button, and it'll open up the d-pad mapping menu.
"It's like these guys take pride in being ignorant." - Barack Obama

Go Blue!
cadalano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by cadalano »

my mangled ape thumbs prevent me from playing anything on the 360 that i can get on the PC. maybe someone will make a mod
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Sylvus wrote:You can hotkey up to 8 weapons to the different directions on the D-pad (if you're playing on 360).
Just like spells in Oblivion. The map and quest interface is just like Oblivion. The text options and travel mode/map markings are just like oblivion. The menus are almost a carbon copy, right down to the button actions. Your melee swings and blocks are the exact same too. It makes this game a very nice transition for me.
Kluden
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kluden »

The non hotkey weapon changing for the PC is an annoyance, yes, but not a huge problem, since the game does "pause" when you open up the ole pip-boy-3k.

I barely use the VATS system. I play it like stalker, where as a first person shooter, you can and will die easily if you don't take cover properly, aim for the head, etc etc. I use the vats when supremely outnumbered in close range...then its combat shotgun, VATS, boom, head shot, boom head shot...

The game is a lot of fun. Much better than oblivion...but instead of the hellgates of oblivion, you have the same damn metro station after metro station.

Living in DC puts this game in an interesting light to me. I enjoy finding the things that the developers obviously had first hand knowledge of, and designed them that way...some of the metro stations are very similar, its scary. Haven't been "downtown" yet in the game, still putsing around west and north west of DC with all the side quests. I'm really in no hurry with this one.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

I've gone through the super mega mart and realized quickly that sneak + head shot is the way to go. You get a critical bonus, just like in Oblivion. I dropped almost everyone in there in a single shot, but only after failing a couple of times by treating the game like an FPS :P I really like the ranged combat of Fallout more than the melee in Oblivion. In both games, the stealth ability is put to good use and is fun to sneak around with. The VAT system makes the game. If they could retro that into Oblivion, it would make the game so much better.

I'm now over at the fire ant area. Those bastards are tough. I just got a clue how to kill them easier, so I look forward to doing a little more sneaking around. I think I'm going to be maxxing out the sneak skill. That first shot bonus is too good to pass up!
Kluden
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kluden »

Definitely. By effectively not using vats that much, I almost need the sneek/head shot combo. Using the laser pistol and rifle are the most fun, because they just turn into a smoldering pile of ash from the sneak attack. Works on the ants too. Luckily, those are the only ants that breath fire...the other ants in the game have been normal melee so far for me...thank god. God damn fire ants.

I should probably just use the vats more often. When I do use it, and run in nice and close, it saves ammo :)

edit: here's a question...how the hell do you get a house with no bed in it?!?! Seriously, the place has a butler robot...but no bed. Thank god it was free I guess.
cadalano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by cadalano »

i went with melee and i'm having fun with it. i picked up a one-handed chainsaw after finishing the fire ant area. those guys are insanely tough- lots of health and you can't get close to them without getting torched. i ended up having to use melee + circlestrafe and it worked well

the chainsaw is awesome. it actually has a different mechanic than the other melee weapons-- in vats mode i swing it normally but other than that it works like a doom chainsaw where you hold the button down and it does constant damage. only downside is it loses durability very fast so I save it for tough fights and use a sledgehammer otherwise.

Just last night I built a sword that has propane fire jets shooting up the length of it.. called the Shishkebob. When i wield it my guy carries an old motorcycle gas tank on his back to fuel the thing. and it lights dudes on fire when i stab em with it. very cool!

melee is pretty fun so far- but this game's enemies have almost no cornering ability- just like in Oblivion.. so its almost cheating to just run around them in circles where they can never even get a single swing off.

oh- and i highly recommend the "Bloody Mess" perk.
Hesten
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Hesten »

I still need to buy a new PC, and get the game for the PC. so i haven't tried it yet.

But DAMN, giant mutated ants? IT CAME FROM THE DESERT!!!! Im SO there.

And yeah, Bloody Mess is a cornerstone of the fun in Fallout :)
pyrella
>()))>

Post by pyrella »

Sylvus wrote:
cadalano wrote:you can only have one weapon out at a time, if you want a new weapon you have to open up your pip boy, click to the weapons section if you aren't already looking at it, and then scroll+click on your new weapon. theres no hotkeys at all.
You can hotkey up to 8 weapons to the different directions on the D-pad (if you're playing on 360).

While in the pip boy, (I think - going from memory here) you have to hit the right shoulder button, and it'll open up the d-pad mapping menu.
RTFM wrote:HOTKEYS
In the Inventory Menu, define Hotkeys by holding one of the
1- 8 Keys while simultaneously selecting the weapon, apparel,
or Aid you want in that slot by Left Clicking the desired selection.
Note, you can still change menus with the Hotkeys open,
and the item will be assigned when you Left Click.
While playing, use 1- 8 Keys to select any of your eight
Hotkeyed items.
Pyrella - Illusionist - Leader of Ixtlan on Antonia Bayle

if you were walking around and you came upon a tulip with tits, would you let it be for the rest of the world to enjoy.. or would you pick it and carry it off to a secluded area to motorboat them?
-Cadalano
cadalano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by cadalano »

why are they hiding these secrets in the manual? awesome people don't read those

good shit anyway, one less con on a very short list
pyrella
>()))>

Post by pyrella »

Ya im surprised they didn't do a quick in game tutorial on how to hotkey shit, when just about every other function had a quick run through on it.
Pyrella - Illusionist - Leader of Ixtlan on Antonia Bayle

if you were walking around and you came upon a tulip with tits, would you let it be for the rest of the world to enjoy.. or would you pick it and carry it off to a secluded area to motorboat them?
-Cadalano
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

I've read a couple of comparisons on how Fallout 3 ranks for the consoles, and the 360 has won everytime over the PS3. PC has easily defeated the 360 though. The 360 and PC versions will also get DLC, but nothing is planned for the PS3 atm. The PS3 version doesn't even support their trophy system.

It seems whenever a game is released on both consoles, the 360 wins every time.
Dregor Thule
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Xathlak
PSN ID: dregor77

Post by Dregor Thule »

I'm like 40 hours or so into Fallout 3 and love it. Playing it on the 360. There's a few technical problems that can be annoying: NPCs randomly disappearing (Walter the water treatment guy in Megaton just vanished), NPCs randomly dying (Lucy West fell off a catwalk to her demise), and I've had my machine freeze up about 5 times while playing, once two time in fairly quick succession. I hope an RROD isn't around the corner :(
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Dregor Thule wrote:and I've had my machine freeze up about 5 times while playing, once two time in fairly quick succession. I hope an RROD isn't around the corner :(

I read something about the being deep in the subways causing freezes so if that's where you are, it might be why.
Dregor Thule
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Dregor Thule »

Hmm, I believe I was in the subways for at least one of the freezes, possibly the 2 that were really close together. As long as it's a game problem and not my machine taking a shit then I'm fine with it, autosave guarantees minimal loss of time.
cadalano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by cadalano »

my power supply blew out while playing. this game wrecks technology, i think.
Dregor Thule
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Dregor Thule »

This game freezing has become unbearable and I've shelved the game. I'll get back to playing it again after WotLK loses its shine and they patch this shit.
Sabek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: sabek

Post by Sabek »

Saw this in a FAQ:
FAQ wrote:If you run into a bug, and you have the X-Box version of the game, you should
try to clear your cache as previously stated. To do this, you need to reset
your system, and hold the "A" button till the Bethesda logo shows up on your
screen. This should clear everything, and help to bypass bugs. Thanks to
phill0037 for info on how to do this, as I don't have an X-Box =)
Sabek
Just Sabek
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Canelek

Post by Canelek »

I had that problem quite often with Oblivion.
en kærlighed småkager
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Here's the massive 468 page guide for Fallout 3. It's huge and crammed full of info. There's also a few extra map files included:

Fallout 3 Map 1.jpg
Fallout 3 Map 2.jpg
Fallout 3 Prima Guide.pdf
Fallout3 Raster Map v2.pdf
Fallout3 Vector Map v2.pdf

It's 133mb but the quality is much better than the Fable guide.

Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Haven't played it myself but was wathing someone else playing the PS3 version for about an hour.. Looked rather boring to me. But then again I was never much into Sci-Fi RPG games.
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Aslanna wrote:Haven't played it myself but was wathing someone else playing the PS3 version for about an hour.. Looked rather boring to me. But then again I was never much into Sci-Fi RPG games.
I don't think any RPG is fun to watch someone else play. My wife does seeom to enjoy watching me play Fallout 3 (as she reads, of course :P). I think it is because she is not used to the post apoclypse world in video gaming, and it has a lot of eye candy. I'm trying to get her to start her own character. I think she's still into Bioshock whenever she feels the desire to game.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Just to add:

Out of all my new games, this is my least played. Not because it's bad in any way, it's just that Fallout 3 requires me to be more involved and "into it" to get the max effect. I can just jump in and play games like CoD5 and Left 4 Dead. I think I'll have more freetime after the holidays to get back into Fallout 3. I rella ylook forward to it because I have loved what I've seen so far.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: miir1

Post by miir »

Fairweather Pure wrote:Out of all my new games, this is my least played. Not because it's bad in any way, it's just that Fallout 3 requires me to be more involved and "into it" to get the max effect. I can just jump in and play games like CoD5 and Left 4 Dead.
This is the exact reason I've put only minimal time into Fallout3.
I've got 99 problems and I'm not dealing with any of them - Lay-Z
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Anirask
PSN ID: Anirask

Post by Animalor »

I swear this year was worst than last as far as quality titles that have come out for the holidays.
There's so much stuff that I want to play that I have no idea where to begin.

I will probably go through Fallout 3, Infinite Undiscovery and Last Remnant in the first quarter of 09 though.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Animalor wrote:I swear this year was worst than last as far as quality titles that have come out for the holidays.
There's so much stuff that I want to play that I have no idea where to begin.

I will probably go through Fallout 3, Infinite Undiscovery and Last Remnant in the first quarter of 09 though.
We can only hope next year is as "bad" :P
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Anirask
PSN ID: Anirask

Post by Animalor »

Err That was supposed to be quantity, not quality =)
Kilmoll the Sexy
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: bunkeru2k

Post by Kilmoll the Sexy »

I am pretty sure I have already put 40+ hours into Fallout 3 now and doubt I am close to done with the game. I think it is one of my favorite gaming fracnhises ever...and they did a super job on this one.

CoD 5 I just am still not liking so much....I think the only reason I have kept it was to possibly do co-op play and I don;t know anyone that does it. I am thinking it is getting traded in on Left 4 Dead this week so I have something else to mess around with when I am not on CoD4 or FO3.

On the next year's game front....I hear Activision is making the sequel to CoD Modern Warfare!
Chidoro
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Chidoro »

I am about 10 hours into the game but it is great so far. I really think I may finish this game, something I haven't done since FF 7
Kwonryu DragonFist
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Kwonryu DragonFist »

Is it viable with pure melee / hand to hand combat?

Can you defeat one o those superhuge mutants with the art of Kara-Te or The Marquis of Queensbury?
Hesten
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Hesten »

No clue Kwon, i went so far as to permanently stash my Ripper and my Shishkebob sword in my weapons locker, didnt really find the "lets run up to this super mutant armed with a minigun or missile launcher, and try to hit him" idea.
Neither did the supermutants with the missile launcher for that matter, those guys hurt.
Dregor Thule
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Dregor Thule »

Melee combat is pretty shallow and bland in the game, I don't recommend it.
Kilmoll the Sexy
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

I restarted with a pure melee spec. I have no doubts that it can be done, but it definitely is tougher seeing as how most of the NPC's have guns. In some respects it is almost easier to pummel down certain creatures that also only melee, like mirelurks, but I have a real bad feeling that deathclaws are going to be insanely difficult.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Post by Funkmasterr »

So the other weekend I bought the Broken Steel DLC. It was awesome, I definitely recommend it to anyone who hasn't got it yet. I haven't actually got the other two yet but plan on it soon, and I have a piece of advice for anyone in the same/similar situation. Buy Broken Steel first if you don't buy them all at once, this way you can use the quests/content in the other two to help get you to level 30. This will be a big help, cause with the Broken Steel content alone I only got to like level 24.

In other Fallout news:
Game Informer wrote:With the recent release of Broken Steel, the last of the three announced DLC packages for Fallout 3, it would be easy to assume that Bethesda might take a break. Never! The company today announced a pair of additional DLC, set to arrive in June and July. The first, Point Lookout, is set in a new swampland area that includes new missions and other unnamed content. Alien enthusiasts may want to watch out for Mothership Zeta, which brings aliens back to the wasteland with a hankering for abduction. (With any luck, it’ll include some extra ammo for the Alien Blaster weapons, too.) Both sets of DLC will be available for 800 Microsoft Points for the Xbox 360 or for $9.99 on PC. As before, PlayStation 3 owners are left out. Or are they?

Turns out, that “exclusive” DLC wasn’t quite so exclusive. PlayStation 3 owners will finally have access to the expanded content starting in late June, with Operation: Anchorage, followed up by staggered releases of the Pitt and Broken Steel. Exact release dates are still unannounced, but at least we know that they’re on the way. After that batch has been released, Point Lookout and Mothership Zeta will hit the PS3 as well.

The expanded content will be hitting store shelves in the future, too, with a pair of add-on packs that add the Pitt and Operation Anchorage or Broken Steel and Point Lookout on an Xbox 360 or PC disc. (Bethesda says that disc-based expansions aren’t possible on the PS3, so those folks are going to have to scrounge up an Internet connection to score the content.)

Finally, a Fallout 3 Game of the Year edition will be hitting shelves in October, bundling the original game and all five add-ons for $59.99. (With each of those DLC bundles costing about $10, that’s a pretty slick deal, if you can wait that long…)
Source

Also - there is another Fallout game announced to be coming out next year, Fallout New Vegas.
Hesten
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Hesten »

Fallout 3 is hold for me till they fix it. They broke the PC versoin BEFORE any of the DLC came out, then ignore that for a while (VATS not working, 5-6 sec lag every time you open the (broken) VATS, not able to get back in game after alt tabbing to desktop, mouse speed and 117 other things), they recently made a patch that fixed VATS, but i still cant ALT tab out, which i could till patch 1.4, and after the new "fix" patch, i got a 50% crash rating when saving.

So when they make it playable, ill consider buying the first DLCs.
Tyek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Tyekk
PSN ID: Tyek

Post by Tyek »

Operation Alaska was so-so. If you are a completist get it, if not, I would skip it.

The Pitt was better, much better and makes you have to make some tough choices which is more like the actual game.

I need to buy the third one.
When I was younger, I used to think that the world was doing it to me and that the world owes me some thing…When you're a teeny bopper, that's what you think. I'm 40 now, I don't think that anymore, because I found out it doesn't f--king work. One has to go through that. For the people who even bother to go through that, most assholes just accept what it is anyway and get on with it." - John Lennon
Kilmoll the Sexy
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

IMO you get Alaska first and for only two reasons.....the Guass rifle and the never have to repair armor of doom. Other than that, that DLC sucked monkey ass. I am going to have to get the other 2 at some point this week and start hitting that shit up. Fallout makes me sweat in my daddy spots.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

I just could not get into Fallout 3 for some reason. The graphics (360 version) seemed to suck ass as soon as I got out of the shelter. The ground textures were horrible, and character animations just seemed to make me feel like I was back in "pre-luclin" eq1. This kept me from being sucked into the world at all once I left the shelter, while the story kept me involved for the short amount of time that I was in it. I was glad that I had just rented it in the end.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Post by Funkmasterr »

Kilmoll the Sexy wrote:IMO you get Alaska first and for only two reasons.....the Guass rifle and the never have to repair armor of doom. Other than that, that DLC sucked monkey ass. I am going to have to get the other 2 at some point this week and start hitting that shit up. Fallout makes me sweat in my daddy spots.
All weapons are crap compared to the Tesla Cannon from Broken Steel. It's pretty much a 1 shot kill gun 99 percent of the time even if your skill in energy weapons sucks.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

I'm laid up for the next couple of days and have chosen Fallout 3 as my game to play during that time. I'm 16 hours in and absolutely fucking loving it. Amazing. Amazing. Amazing.

Once you get through the first 5ish hours, things turn around fast for your character. You have money. You can kill shit in a shot or 2. You have plenty of health packs and items to eat. The exploration is great fun. I think my favortie thing is that once you kill shit, it stays dead. No repops at all.

I DLed all of the DLC as it was released, but I have yet to play any of it. I'm focusing on the survival guide quest at the momment, but should finish that within the hour. After that, I was thinking about doing the Mothership Zeta DLC since I heard you get some great weapons from there. After that, perhaps Anchorage, since I heard the armor from there is nice. I understand those are the 2 weakest DLC out of all of them, but it's all the same to me since I am playing everything at once and not adding on to game I already defeated.

One thing is for sure, if you are after gamer score, this game probbaly has the worst time to point ratio of any game I have ever played. 16 hours in and I have 80 points I think?
Hesten
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Hesten »

Do the Point Lookout one. Its HARD (not sure if they adjust to level, but at level 30 the inbred bastards in the swamp could take a LOT of damage), but fun as hell, and a few nice rewards. Completed it in a weekend, but had a lot of fun.