College Football Talk 08

What do you think about the sports world?
Tyek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Tyekk
PSN ID: Tyek

Re: College Football Talk 08

Post by Tyek »

Kluden wrote: Part of me wants Texas, Bama, and Pennstate to go undefeated, that way the playoff system will be brought into light full force and possibly the stupid BCS will be done away with. The BCS killed college football for me.
If the last few seasons did not have enough scenarios to force a playoff, then that scenario won't. JoePa alone has been screwed like that 3 times already I think.
When I was younger, I used to think that the world was doing it to me and that the world owes me some thing…When you're a teeny bopper, that's what you think. I'm 40 now, I don't think that anymore, because I found out it doesn't f--king work. One has to go through that. For the people who even bother to go through that, most assholes just accept what it is anyway and get on with it." - John Lennon
Kluden
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kluden »

The funny thing is, I get the bowl game thing...I get the money distribution aspect of it, and allowing more teams to play in a post season game, etc.

I am, and always will be, OK with a split national champion in *college* sports...its college sports...amateur sports still...so does it matter that much to say one team is better than others when they don't play each other? If there were only 32 teams in college football, a single champ would be fine...but there are hundreds of teams.

And yes, Joepa has been screwed by undefeated seasons not being national championships (not even shared) four times.
Sueven
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Sueven »

Penn State has gone undefeated under Paterno five times and has one national championship in those undefeated seasons. They have another title from a one-loss season at some point.
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: mp72

Post by Sylvus »

Just FYI, if anyone is ever looking for football data, Stassen's site is an invaluable resource.
"It's like these guys take pride in being ignorant." - Barack Obama

Go Blue!
masteen
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by masteen »

Kluden wrote:I am, and always will be, OK with a split national champion in *college* sports...its college sports...amateur sports still...so does it matter that much to say one team is better than others when they don't play each other? If there were only 32 teams in college football, a single champ would be fine...but there are hundreds of teams.
But only a dozen or so each season can legitimately claim to be top in the nation. And it's not like a playoff would make LESS people watch the fucking Weed Eater Bowl or Bag of Nuts Bowl, or any of those lowest tier bowls that help direct cash into some of the less established schools.
"There is at least as much need to curb the cruel greed and arrogance of part of the world of capital, to curb the cruel greed and violence of part of the world of labor, as to check a cruel and unhealthy militarism in international relationships." -Theodore Roosevelt
Kluden
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kluden »

I agree...but the "complaint" would be that Southern Eastern Turd State would not get as much coverage as LSU getting three post season playoff games. The schools that are in that top 12, half would get more than one game of post season coverage.

Of course, we all know that bowl earnings are split between the conference teams, so yes, I already know that, in the example above, LSU doesn't get to keep all the money from those games.

I just don't understand the fervent need for a BCS champion. I never thought the old system was broken as much as it is now. Split titles are fine.
Sueven
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Sueven »

The anti-playoff argument that I take most seriously is that it would dilute the regular season. I really do believe this is true. Would hugely anticipated games like OSU/USC, UT/OU, PSU/OSU, UGA/FLA, etc, have nearly the resonance if we had, say, an 8 team playoff? Absolutely not...
Tyek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Tyek »

If the payoff is winning those type of games puts you in the drivers seat for a position, but losing doesn't necessarily hurt you, I would anticipate it may actually encourage more of those types of games. With 8 teams in you would definitely have some 1 loss teams, possibly even a 2 loss team.

Also how does that arguement hold up when you have a bunch of 2 loss teams and a bunch of media types get to decide which 2 are the best 2. Those losses last year by LSU and OSU really did not hurt them. How about the Oklahoma game where they were blown out on their last game of the season and were awarded a shot at the National Title? I am far more comfortable with the media deciding the 7th and 8th position then the 1st and 2nd one. Realistically most season you can tell the top 5 teams, just not necessarily what order they belong. The next three can be determined by the media.
When I was younger, I used to think that the world was doing it to me and that the world owes me some thing…When you're a teeny bopper, that's what you think. I'm 40 now, I don't think that anymore, because I found out it doesn't f--king work. One has to go through that. For the people who even bother to go through that, most assholes just accept what it is anyway and get on with it." - John Lennon
masteen
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by masteen »

That's a good point, Tyek. There's a lot of mid range teams that the top tier schools are hesitant to schedule because they have nothing to gain from playing them, but could possibly lose and take a huge hit in the rankings from it.

Thank you, Pirate Captain Leach for knocking off Texas and setting up a possible SEC title game featuring the Gators against #1 Bama. This season just got a little more interesting. This was possibly the most amazing day of college football in my life.

p.s. Enjoy your lack of bowl game this season, Sylvus.
"There is at least as much need to curb the cruel greed and arrogance of part of the world of capital, to curb the cruel greed and violence of part of the world of labor, as to check a cruel and unhealthy militarism in international relationships." -Theodore Roosevelt
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Sylvus »

masteen wrote:p.s. Enjoy your lack of bowl game this season, Sylvus.
Eh, it's only news because it's snapping the longest streak in the country, that has stretched back since before i was born. I can live with that.

We'll be back in a year or two.

Go Blue!
Kluden
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kluden »

Can't be on top every year...the good news for MU fans is that indeed, they will be back. No chance they mire in the muck for eternity.

PSU still #3...product of the bye week or product of Big10 hate?
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

Product of easy schedule.
Make love, fuck war, peace will save us.
Sabek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: sabek

Post by Sabek »

Kluden wrote:Can't be on top every year...the good news for MU fans is that indeed, they will be back. No chance they mire in the muck for eternity.

PSU still #3...product of the bye week or product of Big10 hate?
Also Texas Tech being over PSU is a complete non-issue anyway. If they win out they were going to jump PSU anyway based on their schedule, and if they don't win out they will drop under PSU.
Sabek
Just Sabek
Zamtuk
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zamtuk »

How's Lloyd Carr enjoying Syracuse, Sylvus? :)
Fuck Michigan!
Kluden
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kluden »

This is also assuming Alabama wins out. They have to play Florida in the SEC champ game, right?

Texas Tech definitely would have deserved it if they can win out too. That is the hardest 3 weeks of college football I've ever seen for them last week through 2 weeks from now. Plus, they have to play Mizzou at the end of the season for the Big12 champ game... If I were a betting man, I would not be betting on Texas Tech.

Weak Big10 schedule eh? Looks about the same as Florida's schedule this year. Obviously, the Big10 needs a conference champ game or something.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

Kluden wrote:Weak Big10 schedule eh? Looks about the same as Florida's schedule this year. Obviously, the Big10 needs a conference champ game or something.
I heard that the reason they would not add a 12th team is that they would then need the championship game.
masteen
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by masteen »

Well, it only took a decade longer than I imagined and a change of venue, but Spurrier finally showed Fulmer the exit from college football.
Kluden
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kluden »

I'm sure they are waiting on one team to join the Big 10, and that would be Notre Dame. I'm doubting there is anyone else they "want" for the 12th team, personally. But that's purely my opinion and speculation.
Momopi
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Momopi »

When the dust settles it seems most likely that the title game will be UF vs Penn St. I would think florida can beat alabama two times and TT will most likely lose in norman.
Momopi Down warder of PD
Naala Momokitty Raid Assassin of PD Meow Meow
Naala the Breeder in Ted Club
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Sylvus »

Kluden wrote:I'm sure they are waiting on one team to join the Big 10, and that would be Notre Dame. I'm doubting there is anyone else they "want" for the 12th team, personally. But that's purely my opinion and speculation.
While this article is pretty dated (it's from before the '07 season), I think he makes some good points about who we'd want in the Big 10(12) and who we'd realistically get.

Go Blue!
Kilmoll the Sexy
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: bunkeru2k

Post by Kilmoll the Sexy »

Maybe my memory is off, but didn't Michigan whip Florida in their bowl last year? Wasn't that bowl also basically a home game for Florida? Yea...shut up retards. I feel dirty for having to defend Michigan.
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Sylvus »

Kilmoll the Sexy wrote:Maybe my memory is off, but didn't Michigan whip Florida in their bowl last year? Wasn't that bowl also basically a home game for Florida? Yea...shut up retards. I feel dirty for having to defend Michigan.
:vv_lilhearts:

Go Blue!
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

Even Obama supports a playoff system for NCAA football per last night's interview on Monday Night Football!
Sueven
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Sueven »

I think Michigan will also win their bowl game this ye--- oh wait.
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Canelek

Post by Canelek »

Go Blue!
en kærlighed småkager
Kilmoll the Sexy
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Sueven wrote:I think Michigan will also win their bowl game this ye--- oh wait.
Philadelphia wins their first championship since Christ signed with them as a free agent and all of a sudden their fans pop off about other teams not winning. You are only going to have a 1 year reign in the east sir.
masteen
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by masteen »

I'd hardly call a 41-35 shootout a whippin. If you think that our defense is even remotely the same unit as last season, I think there are a few people in Athens and Baton Rouge who would disagree with you. Losing to Ole Miss was definitely the shakeup this team needed.
Kilmoll the Sexy
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Anyone that give up 41 points to Michigan took a whippin. They normally barely can put up 30 on MAC teams.
masteen
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by masteen »

As usual, you know jack shit. They scored 30+ in 8 games last season, and 27+ 3 other times.
Kilmoll the Sexy
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Are you looking at the same Michigan team? I am not talking basketball moron.

They scored 32 against App St in a loss to a Div 2 team
7 against Oregon
38 in their win over Division 3 Notre Dame
9 against Penn St
28 against Northwestern
33 against Eastern Mich (MAC)
48 against Purdue
27 against Illinois
34 against Minn
28 against Mich St
21 against Wisc
3 against Ohio St
and then 41 on Florida of the unbeatable SEC

That is 6.
Sueven
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Sueven »

Kilmoll wrote:Philadelphia wins their first championship since Christ signed with them as a free agent and all of a sudden their fans pop off about other teams not winning. You are only going to have a 1 year reign in the east sir.
It's possible, but I guarantee that we won't be losing the East to the Braves.
masteen
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by masteen »

My memory is bad, but even your list still looks like a decent scoring offense who blew up after a month of rest with all their playmakers finally together against an awful Gator defense, and still barely managed a win.
Zamtuk
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zamtuk »

I remember that game being a lot worse than the score indicates. I think Florida got a couple bs touchdowns at the end of the game.
Fuck Michigan!
masteen
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by masteen »

Zamtuk wrote:I remember that game being a lot worse than the score indicates. I think Florida got a couple bs touchdowns at the end of the game.
You remember incorrectly. There were 6 lead changes, and the game was tied 3 different times. Michigan went ahead with 4 minutes left in the 4th.
Kilmoll the Sexy
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

masteen wrote:My memory is bad, but even your list still looks like a decent scoring offense who blew up after a month of rest with all their playmakers finally together against an awful Gator defense, and still barely managed a win.

And my quote was
They normally barely can put up 30 on MAC teams.
I notice in my list that they put up 33 on their MAC team of the year. Which means I was dead accurate. So if your team can't even defend as well as the MAC's bottom rung teams, why were you in a bowl? It also bears pointing out that you gave up the 2nd highest point total all year to that Big 10 team.

Now by my calculations, they averaged 26 points a game against the big 10, a division 2 school, god awful notre dame, and a MAC team. Yet against the reigning national champs and from the all powerful SEC, they dropped 15 points above their average.....and you say I don't know jack shit? Heh.
masteen
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by masteen »

Kilmoll the Sexy wrote:So if your team can't even defend as well as the MAC's bottom rung teams, why were you in a bowl?
Because we had the Heisman winner leading an offense that averaged around 40 points a game? Yeah, clearly that group didn't deserve to be bowling :roll:

To give Meatchicken a little credit, they held us under forty. I believe that Henne and Hart were both finally healthy for the bowl, which could have a little to do with their scoring increase and ability to keep Tebow off the field. I give you credit for this: you can find espn.com and add. Grats.
Zamtuk
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zamtuk »

I would say the main reason UM won that game is because they blitzed EVERY down.
Fuck Michigan!
Xanupox
Almost 1337
Almost 1337
PSN ID: TheRealScarr

Post by Xanupox »

SEC SUX
I probably gave you virtual items once upon a time...
masteen
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by masteen »

Yeah, those last two BCS titles are clear indications of a sucky conference.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

The Big 12 South division is just confusing as hell right now...
Kluden
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kluden »

I actually feel bad for all three of those schools...knowing 2 will be getting "screwed", so to speak. If Mizzou wins the big12 championship game...then the other two will feel even more slighted, since they would have "known" they would beat Mizzou...confusing is an understatement.
Xatrei
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Xatrei »

Misery is lucky that their other south team this year was Baylor (who almost embarrassed them) or they'd be 0-3 against the south. I'm still hoping KU beats them this weekend, too. It's a shame that we can't just have the championship against the two best teams in the conference rather than forcing the south team to play a 2 (hopefully 3) conference loss Misery team. I'd love to see a Texas v. OU rematch. I think it would be ugly for the horns a second time around. Since the Huskers still probably have a year or two before fully recovering from Bill Callahan and returning to normal, I'm hoping the Sooners can get into the championship game. I'd love to see them play (and beat) Alabama, but it will probably be Florida.
"When I was a kid, my father told me, 'Never hit anyone in anger, unless you're absolutely sure you can get away with it.'" - Russel Ziskey
Tyek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Tyek »

Anyone who argues against the playoffs saying that every game counts under the BCS system can now shut the hell up. Apparently every game counts as long as some random coaches and computers think it counts.

Texas beat Oklahoma under the BCS system, so they should play in the championship game. Do I think Texas is better the Oklahoma? I don't know. A Playoff system would definitely tell us if Florida, USC, Oklahoma, Alabama, Or Utah deserve the title. Under this system we will never know if USC's tough defense could stop Oklahoma's offense.

Stupid.

Go get them Obama.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

In Sunday's BCS poll, Alabama, the only undefeated team from a major conference, was first at .9713. Oklahoma was second at .9351. Texas was third at .9223, followed by Florida at .8851.

That is how much Oklahoma was ahead in the BCS poll. Texas has beaten each of the teams in the BCS Championship. It sucked that it came down to the 5th tiebreaker which (apparently only in the Big 12) is the BCS rating itself. It sounds like other conferences with a conference championship would take the top two teams in the BCS and then compare their head-to-head record.

This hasn't been a bad year for what many around here did not expect to end as well as it did before the season started.

but... .0128 :(
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

hehe, the local paper had this commentary:

http://www.statesman.com/news/content/n ... kelso.html
BCS declares Motel 6 top U.S. hotel, names McCain Time's Man of the Year
Monday, December 01, 2008

The Bowl Championship Series computers have announced a new surprise upset winner for World War II.

In a close one, the victory goes to Germany because it had better lookin' helmets.

Hey, don't be stunned if the BCS geeks actually announce that reversal, then declare that the Dave Clark Five were better than the Beatles.

Despite Texas' 10-point stomping of Jokelahoma THIS SEASON up in Dallas, the BCS has ranked the Okies ahead of Texas in its rankings, 0.9351 to 0.9223 . Looks like a figure skating score, doesn't it? The difference? The Polish judge likes OU, looks like.

You know you've got a messed up football rating system when you're using fractions an OU defensive lineman couldn't figure out with a tutor from Stillwater.

Adding to the hilarity is that the Big 12 has put Mobilehoma in the league title game, since it finished ahead of Texas in the BCS ratings. What this means is that two teams Texas beat by double figures — OU and Mizzou — will be playing for the league championship.

This tells me two things: 1. Texas should drop out of the Big 12 and consider joining a more respectable organization, like the Bandidos . And 2. the Longhorns should start scheduling stronger teams than Oklahoma.

Maybe if Texas had beaten a more highly regarded team like, say, Ohio State by 10 points back in October, the BCS would have given Texas more points.

And we wouldn't be having this diatribe. I mean discussion.

That's fixing to be quite a matchup for the Big 12 title up in K.C. Saturday, huh? You got Missouri, a team with no D, against Oklahoma, a team that got its fanny laminated by UT up in Big D. What's the matter with Iowa State, for gosh sakes? How come the Big 12 didn't pick them? Were they busy this weekend?

Oh well, this is America, where anybody can become president, and any football team can aspire to a national title, even if they've had their butts waxed by the team behind them in the BCS standings.

Of course, if the Big 12 had used player literacy as a tie-breaker, OU would have been toast. PS: If this joke ticks you off, and you're from Okrahoma , someone read it to you. So blame him.

Seriously, if the BCS is declaring winners based on opinions, and, yes, computers have opinions since the info they use is fed in by humans, it should base its ratings on, say, a swimsuit competition.

No, I personally don't want to see Colt McCoy and Sam Bradford in a Speedo contest. But at least the gals would like it. As it is now, nobody likes what the BCS is doing.

Or how about a talent show? I'm sure OU can come up with a linebacker who can play "Surrey with the Fringe on Top" on the saxophone.
Sabek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Sabek »

The best thing about about this football season is that the Sundevils just need to win teh best rivalry in all of sports to get to 6 and 6 to get a shot at maybe going to the Poolan Weedeater We-suck-a-whole-lot bowl.
Sabek
Just Sabek
Zamtuk
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zamtuk »

Meanwhile, with Oregon State losing (perhaps winnow's osu?), OSU sneaks into a BCS game.
Fuck Michigan!
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Sylvus »

Zamtuk wrote:Meanwhile, with Oregon State losing (perhaps winnow's osu?), OSU sneaks into a BCS game.
Please win, and stop embarrassing our conference!

Go Blue!
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Canelek

Post by Canelek »

Ducks put a bitchslappin' on the Beavs....would have been different with Jaquizz Rogers, but hey...
en kærlighed småkager
Sabek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Sabek »

Sylvus wrote: Please win, and stop embarrassing our conference!
Rich Rod did enough of that for us this year.
Sabek
Just Sabek