TurnItInBot

No holds barred discussion. Someone train you and steal your rare spawn? Let everyone know all about it! (Not for the faint of heart!)

Moderator: TheMachine

Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: mp72

TurnItInBot

Post by Sylvus »

Here's something that is news to me, and may be of interest to some of you out there. I noticed that there was a bot crawling the site, and it was called "TurnItInBot". A quick googling pointed to this page.
TurnItIn.com wrote:Chances are that you are reading this because you found a reference to this web page from your web server logs. This reference was left by Turnitin.com's web crawling robot, also known as TurnitinBot. This robot collects content from the Internet for the sole purpose of helping educational institutions prevent plagiarism. In particular, we compare student papers against the content we find on the Internet to see if we can find similarities.
So if you're stealing the content of posts here to turn in as your own work, be warned. Big Brother is watching!

(I suppose we could setup our robots.txt to exclude that bot, but I can't do it from work and I'm not sure if I'll remember to do that when I'm in front of a non-work computer.)
"It's like these guys take pride in being ignorant." - Barack Obama

Go Blue!
Sargeras
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Re: TurnItInBot

Post by Sargeras »

I'm sure the political commentary on the Current Events forum would be excellent data for someone's research paper.

Damn you TurnItInBot! :shock:
Sargeras Gudluvin - R.I.P. old friend - January 9, 2005
Mak
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Mak »

What a coincidence. My wife and I were looking at turnitin.com just last night for possible use with her students. That it has a bot makes me happy.
Makora

Too often it seems it is the peaceful and innocent who are slaughtered. In this a lesson may be found that it may not be prudential to be either too peaceful or too innocent. One does not survive with wolves by becoming a sheep.
Truant
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Truant »

I'm a bot. Does that make you happy?
Toalin
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by Toalin »

bok bot?