Foo Fighters @ Red Rocks - Postponed

Music/concert reviews and discussion

Moderators: Drolgin Steingrinder, Truant

Xyphir
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Foo Fighters @ Red Rocks - Postponed

Post by Xyphir »

I'm bummed. =( This was my birthday gift to myself.

Oh well. Looking forward to seeing them in September. :vv_jam2:
Nick
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Re: Foo Fighters @ Red Rocks - Postponed

Post by Nick »

I saw them last year. I was thoroughly underwhelmed. I love the Foo Fighters as well, it was a bit of a bummer.

They were equally billed with Nine Inch Nails, who I was never a massive fan of. Nine Inch Nails were a substantially more entertaining band, with better and more varied songs.

Dave Grohl was an annoying Jack Black wannabe prick throughout the whole set, which virtually ended the concert after the crowd (20,000) starting chanting "Dave shags sheep" after whatever hundredth shitty joke he was trying to tell that went on for about 10 minutes. He almost left the stage, but he'd already played Everlong, so no one really cared. He didn't though. He wasn't funny, but he thought he was gods gift. It was actually embarrassing. The crowd realised it, he realised the crowd realised it, got pissy, nearly stormed off, eventually sucked it up and played a mediocre set.

He appeared more interested in being worshipped by thousands than rocking us all the fuck out (which we were all hoping he would). And he did somewhat, but its the "somewhat" that ruined it for me. I expected true greatness. Maybe I shouldn't have. I wouldn't pay to see them again.

Foo Fighters have about 3 good songs to every 10 bad ones. Except the first album which is awesome. Grohl seems more intent on making a career out of making the same song over and over again than doing anything interesting.

Bizarrely, I am a fan, even though it may not sound like it. But the Silversun Pickups and Nine Inch Nails played at the same gig, and in comparison the Foo Fighters, with the exception of about 3 songs, ended up sounding like a shitty motorhead tribute band fronted by a Jack Black wannabe.

So maybe the postponement is a lucky thing :P

Never meet your heroes I guess (or watch them from 100metres away I guess) :(
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: mp72

Post by Sylvus »

I saw Foo Fighters and Weezer on their tour a couple years ago, and it was an amazing show. Foo Fighters rocked my fucking face off.

Your mileage may vary.
"It's like these guys take pride in being ignorant." - Barack Obama

Go Blue!
Xyphir
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Xyphir »

Odd, but I've never seen them live. To me, Foo Fighters are a bit of a guilty pleasure. They're one of the few rock bands I like these days. I've never been a fan of short songs. I'm much happier when songs are jammed out a bit, with some improvisational licks/riffs thrown in and a different set list every night. I already got the set list and bootlegs of shows they've done this year and I expect Red Rocks to be nearly identical. It must get pretty monotonous as a performer to do the same shit night after night. I was hoping they'd perform Low. Oh well.

I saw NIN at Red Rocks last year and remember being more impressed by the showmanship than the music. The last time I saw them was Lollapalooza in 1997.

Foo Fighters was rescheduled for Sept. 8th, so looking forward to the make up.
Xyphir
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Xyphir »

The show last night was a bit chilly (50 F) but not too cold. Being from Colorado, we know how to prepare for Sept. shows at Red Rocks. I thought it was decent, but I wasn't blown away. Dave G. proved he could scream, but it didn't really impress me. I understand what Nick was saying about Dave wanting to be worshiped. He kept saying "Fans" in a condescending tone. Not that it changes my attitude, but he just wasn't as funny as he thought he was. I wasn't there to listen to his rants, I was there for the music, and I don't think it disappointed. I loved the Everlong acoustic solo. I thought it was ironic that the drummer sang a song, considering Dave was the drummer for Nirvana and never got to sing his songs when he was in the band. I do have to applaud them for opting to drum solo through the set break. There was very little down time. Dave acknowledged and repeatedly apologized for post-posing the show. I forgive him.
Truant
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Truant »

Dave Grohl sang on a hidden track on a limited number of copies of the Nevermind release. I don't know the specifics off hand, but i can find it if you're interested.
He and Taylor are pretty close and do a lot of stuff together just the two of them. They also duo on drums occasionally for a song. Dave also really encourages everyone in the band to do their own thing. The other guitar player just released a record with a side band he leads.

Also, re: Dave's vocals live...Dave very carefully (and masterfully) double tracks his vocals on albums. One track singing, and one track screaming which he blends so well that it's hard to catch. That's how he gets such amazing pitch definition with a scream voice on so many songs. You obviously can't do that live, so he either sings, or screams. That's one of the things I admire about him recordingwise, because it's very clever and very well done.