For discussion about Warhammer Online.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Warhammer Online (new forum?)

Post by Winnow »

Here's the beta ordering info for Warhammer:

http://www.warhammeronline.com/preorder/

Like, AoC, depending on where you order the game, you get different stuff.

Anyone play during beta to know if this game is any good?
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Re: Warhammer Online (new forum?)

Post by Fairweather Pure »

I still have no desire to pick this up, and I've followed Warhammer for 20+ years through every addition. It looks too much like WoW, and as I've said many times before, I'm sick to death of fantasy based MMORPGs.

If everyone plays it and says it's the greatest thing in the world, I guess I'll try it out though.
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

I have no interest in this game, but I feel it needs its own dedicated forum. Let's not wait until people are actively playing the game to consider this. Let's create it now, before they play the game. This will increase traffic to the forums while also building cohesion among our fellow members of this fine, well-established community.
Make love, fuck war, peace will save us.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

This video covers what the game is about pretty well:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-t6klZ97pJY

Unfortunately, the graphics do look like WoW's which mean they look bad. Gameplay looks like it would be better than EQ Clone WoW though.

Could probably merge the WoW and Warhammer forums.
Fash
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: sylblaydis

Post by Fash »

i saw cutscenes of warhammer movies, but it looked like the dude talking was standing in front of someone playing wow.
Fash

--
Naivety is dangerous.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Winnow wrote:Gameplay looks like it would be better than EQ Clone WoW though.
I hate to take this obvious bait, but WoW is a clone of EQ?!? Last I checked in on EQ2, it had copied as much of WoW as it could get away with (which really improved the game from release days), and WoW is as much like EQ1 as EQ1 was of Ultima Online (ie: foundation only).

You didn't play very much WoW, did you?

That gameplay footage makes me want to play it even less.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: miir1

Post by miir »

If I wanted to play WOW, I would play WOW.
I've got 99 problems and I'm not dealing with any of them - Lay-Z
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

Fairweather Pure wrote:I hate to take this obvious bait, but WoW is a clone of EQ?!? Last I checked in on EQ2, it had copied as much of WoW as it could get away with (which really improved the game from release days), and WoW is as much like EQ1 as EQ1 was of Ultima Online (ie: foundation only).
EQ2 and WOW have copied equally from each other.

Having played WOW again recently, I was shocked at how much they had totally ripped from EQ2.
I wish they would copy EQ2's inventory management and quest journal. :(
Ashur
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Ashur »

My old roommate is in the WHO beta. It does indeed look a lot like WoW.
- Ash
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

The correct acronym is WAR.
Warhammer: Age of Reckoning

fucking colons
cadalano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by cadalano »

i'm in the beta. it is essentially Warcraft with a clumsy interface. the content is much, much more humorous and interesting and the snoozefest that has become Warcraft's lore. the gameplay is much more straightforward which could be good or bad.. you pretty much just either do damage to something, or heal it.. effects like snares, stuns, CC, fears, etc are almost nonexistent. the talent trees and skill sets are equally straightforward.

they've really put a shitload of work into it, and its certainly a better game than AoC's release at this point, in my opinion. but i think their problem is that, by emulating warcraft, they set themselves up so that if they dont totally dethrone blizzard with a knockout punch, they have virtually nothing new to offer.
I TOLD YOU ID SHOOT! BUT YOU DIDNT BELIEVE ME! WHY DIDNT YOU BELIEVE ME?
Ashur
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Ashur »

I like "WHO" better :)
- Ash
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

I've seen both.

Also, isn't Warcraft essentially a Warhammer ripoff to begin with?
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Boogahz wrote:I've seen both.

Also, isn't Warcraft essentially a Warhammer ripoff to begin with?
The races and arrangement of some lore is a ripoff of Warhammer, but Warhammer is ripping of the video game aspect of WoW. If Blizzard were making a table top dice game with miniatures, it would be an better example of copying Warhammer.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Warhammer > WoW

Blizzard's been ripping off the Game's Workshop since the original Warcraft. They should sue.

You can't really blame Warhammer for the look of the game since that IS the fucking look of Warhammer, and has been long before the Blizzard fruit cakes started stealing from them.
The first edition of Warhammer Fantasy Battle (WFB) was released by Games Workshop in early 1983.
Warhammer has developed a very recognizable stylistic image set which has influenced other works, like Warcraft. Skulls feature prominently, as well as gothic architecture, absurdly large weapons and shoulder-armor, and bizarre imagery reminiscent of director Terry Gilliam's work.
God damn WoW (and Warcraft) lamers!
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Winnow wrote:Warhammer > WoW
For lore and look/feel, I agree. But when it comes to video games, Warhammer dosen't have a great track record. I believe WoW > Warhammer for MMORPGs, but having not played it I can't say for sure. One thing that is for sure, WAR has a long way to catch up.
masteen
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by masteen »

So if there aren't a lot of combat effects, is PvP either spike or be spiked? I thought this was supposed to be a PvP focused game.
"There is at least as much need to curb the cruel greed and arrogance of part of the world of capital, to curb the cruel greed and violence of part of the world of labor, as to check a cruel and unhealthy militarism in international relationships." -Theodore Roosevelt
cadalano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by cadalano »

i dont feel like it'd be fair to judge how the PVP is going to be right now since no one really has any idea what theyre doing and most people are low level... its basically just a brawl where you run around and do damage to whoever you want.. and if people want to heal you thats great. so far though i've found that healing is a lot easier as you have separate defensive and offensive targets.. which is a fantastic system that every MMO needs to copy, btw.. its basically like warcraft's focus system except a lot more intuitive... and as such you seem to get healed and buffed more often by others.

but the PVP that i've done so far i cant help but think that Warcraft's pvp would be just as simplistic if everyone was only level 20ish.. so again.. cant really judge it fairly.

you can queue up for BG's from anywhere, anytime too.. and when youre done it spits you out wherever you ended up joining from... big one up on warcraft there.
I TOLD YOU ID SHOOT! BUT YOU DIDNT BELIEVE ME! WHY DIDNT YOU BELIEVE ME?
Xanupox
Almost 1337
Almost 1337
PSN ID: TheRealScarr

Post by Xanupox »

I'm in the WAR beta, have been since February. I've played it on and off, mostly off lately. Lots of changes have went in based on feedback but I think the game will just be a nitch game. Mythic has thier fanbase of DAoC customers, WoW haters and EQ haters that will flock to it by the masses on release... seems like a good time to come out with it as well, nothing to compete with it seems.

40 levels, same equipment drops. Green, Blue, Purple etc. Spell casters rule the world, melee has no chance unless they get the jump on a caster but even then most casters have roots/stuns/crowd controls out the ass. So if they don't want to die they can get away from melee pretty easy.

Melee healers are way OP, one on one against melee and if they can close the distance on a caster the caster cannot kill them. However the melee healer cannot really kill anyone else either if they decide to just run away.

The time to kill was increased across the board on the last patch, all spells/attacks damage was reduced by a 3rd, mana pools were increased by about 25%.

Yeah, I'm breaking the NDA but guess what... I don't care. It isnt my beta account to start with, it was given to me by someone else who hated it. So I guess I am not actually breaking an NDA since I never agreed to one right? blah blah blah.

The 6 races are matched up, 3 good and 3 evil. When you start out it is basically 1v1 race wars right off the bat. I think I had full blown PvP at level 4.

There are instance scenarios for level 1-10, 11-20, 21-30, 31-39 and 40. You can queue up on these anywhere in the world at anytime, no need to speak to any NPC or go anywhere. When you enter you just vanish from the game world, when you leave the scenario you pop right back out in the world where you were. So if you cleared an NPC camp and joined up, you are hosed when you come out because the NPCs will be respawned and rape you. Plan smartly before you click "Enter Scenario". Think safe spot.

The 1v1 race wars carry over to level 10 or so, then at level 11 you need to move to the next area or zone. This area is quest/level based from 11-20ish and in this area you will join up with the other 3 races for your side good or evil. Then at the same time you face other races in combat, so it is a big change, not all race/classes have the same combos, so if you were awesome at PvP from 1-10, you need to learn how to beat new classes/race combos from 11-20.

There are 2 more transitionzones from 21-30 and 31-40, things just get bigger, badder and more complicated. The last area is full blown castle wars, sieges, huge boss NCPs outside, etc.

The unique thing to the game is public quests or PQs as they call them. I think each quest zone has 3 sub PQs, with a total of 12 or 15 total PQs in each full zone. Basically it is a stage type quest/event that occurs and if you are inside the radius of the event you can get credit for what you do while there. You dont have to be grouped, everyone can get credit. You get points for how much you kill, heal, pickup, complete... there are many variations of quests. They get harder in each stage and the last stage usually requires at least 10 players to beat, some more and some less. You get reputation for hanging out and doing these quests, once you get 33-66-100 percent rep you can turn in for a reward from the local NPC in charge. usuually the max rep reward is a nice item, the lesser 33-66 rep items are mostly junk, potions, stuff like that.

You can have fun solo but by the end you will want to be in a guild or have a solid group to roll with otherwise you are going to just die a lot in the castle stages. There are some raids as well, I really dont think i will play this as the satisfaction level is pretty low, even if you rape/pillage and destroy the other side.
I probably gave you virtual items once upon a time...
Fash
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Fash »

You made it sound good. :lol:
Fash

--
Naivety is dangerous.
Sartori
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Sartori »

I probably won't be playing this mainly because I don't want to get sucked into another MMORPG (ever), but the CGI trailer is rad.

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/38373.html
Sartori
70 Undead Rogue, Illidan (retired 11/07)
Kaldaur
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Kaldaur

Post by Kaldaur »

I made the invite to Preview Weekend starting tomorrow. I'm so excited about this game, especially the RvR combat. I'll let you all know how it is after the weekend is over.
Sargeras
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Sargeras »

Very original indeed :lol:

Sargeras Gudluvin - R.I.P. old friend - January 9, 2005
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

cool, warhammer copying wow which is a copy of warhammer :roll:
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

not to mention that the map type is used in various other games. Most RTS games I have played have it too.
Sartori
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Sartori »

BF1942 conquest mode *cough*
Sartori
70 Undead Rogue, Illidan (retired 11/07)
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

I turned down a Beta invite for this because I'm already doing the WotLK and Red Alert 3 betas. I don't want to spread myself too thin.
Fash
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Fash »

I can't tell if that's a WoW screenshot or a Warhammer one... holy fuck.
Fash

--
Naivety is dangerous.
Kaldaur
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kaldaur »

I enjoyed myself immensely during the preview weekend. RvR is different from WoW in that it takes much longer to kill people, and healing, at least at the lower levels, keeps people going a lot longer. As a result, there were some serious battles that took a great deal of time to conclude. It might seem boring to some, but that added a level of excitement for me, because that time would allow for reinforcements from one side or another to arrive and possibly turn the tide of victory.
Destruction outnumbers Order, but for right now it's too early to tell if that will be the trend at release. I have a feeling Destruction will be more plentiful, but I could be wrong.
Many of the game's features are not currently implemented, so I'm wondering if they'll be able to put them all in by release. The economy is pretty fragile, and there aren't many (read: one) tradeskills currently implemented. That was a severe blow for many I grouped with, but not so for me, so to each their own.
The most fun I had was creating a team of six dwarves and journeying into the RvR lands. We captured a defensive point and waited for Destruction to arrive. In waiting, we spread ourselves out across the area, using the grass and pillars to mask our presence. In this dwarves have an advantage, because we blended in with the background. When Destruction finally arrived, we jumped out from multiple areas and scared the players into running, even though they had a numerical and level advantage. We were able to rout them, using the land around us as an ally. That pretty much sold it for me that I would want to buy this game.
Agree or disagree, take my opinion for what it's worth: nothing. Just thought you'd all like to hear another review.
Kwonryu DragonFist
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Kwonryu DragonFist »

Kaldaur wrote: The most fun I had was creating a team of six dwarves and journeying into the RvR lands. We captured a defensive point and waited for Destruction to arrive. In waiting, we spread ourselves out across the area, using the grass and pillars to mask our presence. In this dwarves have an advantage, because we blended in with the background. When Destruction finally arrived, we jumped out from multiple areas and scared the players into running, even though they had a numerical and level advantage. We were able to rout them, using the land around us as an ally. That pretty much sold it for me that I would want to buy this game.
That's just great Kaldaur! Less quantity of warriors being able to use the terrain to their advantage and winning? :D
Thanks to Thess
---xx0O0xx---
The best site known to man!
--++http://kwonryu.mybrute.com++--
Kwonryu DragonFist
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

So what you think of this game my american peeps?

Better than WoW?
Thanks to Thess
---xx0O0xx---
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

It is not WoW.
They are not the same game, but a lot of people may buy it expecting it to be similar due to the art. That is the best comparison you can really get. It is closer to DAoC (especially the RvR) than anything else.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

The fucking login queues are exactly like WOW :(
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

miir wrote:The fucking login queues are exactly like WOW :(

except the WoW servers weren't even up at launch :P
Dregor Thule
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Xathlak
PSN ID: dregor77

Post by Dregor Thule »

Weird, the WoW servers were up at launch for me! They did put up like 500 more of them later that day.
Truant
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Truant »

Dregor Thule wrote:Weird, the WoW servers were up at launch for me! They did put up like 500 more of them later that day.
for emphasis.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

Dregor Thule wrote:Weird, the WoW servers were up at launch for me! They did put up like 500 more of them later that day.
Right, and how stable were they? I ended up with almost a full month of credited time on my account due to the fact that the servers were sometimes down for days at a time.
Aardor
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Phoenix612

Post by Aardor »

Boogahz wrote:
Right, and how stable were they? I ended up with almost a full month of credited time on my account due to the fact that the servers were sometimes down for days at a time.
I played on 3 servers at the start of WoW, none of which had any problems, or really an long queue waits. But yeah, if you were unlucky enough to get on one of the bad servers, there were tons of problems. The WoW launch (and the expansion) were still 1000000x better than any EQ expansion launch, at the time.
Kaldaur
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kaldaur »

I have been playing Warhammer every chance I get. I am part of a dwarven guild that tested closed beta, so now we're out of the gate and churning along. So far, we've had a blast taking all of the tier 2 keeps. If anyone is looking for a home and wants to play a dwarf, come to Ostermark and drop me a tell. I'm playing Kaldaur the Ironbreaker, and would love to have anyone else join up with my guild, the Granite Guard.

This game is not WoW. There's really no comparison, except, as stated above, they use typical fantasy characters. Omigosh, weird!!
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Does this sum up Warhammer Online pretty well?
I personally really enjoyed this. It's a little something old, a little something new, and altogether wonderful. Grinding is easy, yet entertaining, PvP is simply amazing. The gear scale in this game doesn't reach to meteoric heights like in WoW, and the best stuff is always within reach of the average player, all it takes is a few hours of hard work. The classes are for the most part wonderfully balanced, and a team of complementing and varied classes will beat a zerg rush of DPSers any day. Rather than huge endgame quests that take hours of shitsocking to complete and almost force you to join an elitist guild of no-life neckbeards, you get slightly more mellow, but in my opinion more fun, public quests, where anyone can join, loot is assigned somewhat randomly, with bonuses to whichever player did the most work. So all in all, if you were tired of the hopeless grind and unbalanced classes of WoW, and tired of falling behind in gear because you only casually play the game, this is the one for you.
Kwonryu DragonFist
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Overall it sounds great fun Winnow!

And the gits look cool too! :D

Thanks to Thess
---xx0O0xx---
Kaldaur
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kaldaur »

Yes Winnow. That review sums it up nicely.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Kaldaur wrote:I have been playing Warhammer every chance I get. I am part of a dwarven guild that tested closed beta, so now we're out of the gate and churning along. So far, we've had a blast taking all of the tier 2 keeps. If anyone is looking for a home and wants to play a dwarf, come to Ostermark and drop me a tell. I'm playing Kaldaur the Ironbreaker, and would love to have anyone else join up with my guild, the Granite Guard.
I bought the game today. Not sure if I'm playing a dwarf as I need to research the character races and classes but I'll start on Ostermark in an attempt to keep VVers on the same server. I'll spend the weekend between football games familiarizing myself with the game before settling in on a character/class.
Kwonryu DragonFist
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

What's nice is that you have real knockback/knockdown-skills.

Check 00:45 in this clip when the Black Orc tosses Winnows Stuntie! :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-ZbG5nT5Yw

EDIT: It actually was a Greenskin Shaman ability called "Eeek!" that sent the Stunty flying! :D Either way, good control of the battlefield with knockdowns,knockbacks and whatnot!

Down Ya Go
Action Points: 60
Range: 0-10 ft
BUILDER:
A melee attack that knocks your target down for 2 seconds and makes them unable to defend themselves for 7 seconds. Only usable after you block an attack.

Outta My Way!
Action Points: 130
Range: 0-10 ft
Knocks an ally away and causes them to detaunt all enemies around them, reducing the damage that the enemies deal to that ally by 50% for 10 seconds.

as well as various root/disarms/disorients etc...
Thanks to Thess
---xx0O0xx---
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Pretty cool so far.

The intro movie was even better than AoC's IMO.

Chose a female Witch Hunter to get acquainted with the game. After setting the resolution correctly to my screen size, the graphics looked nice. Not as cartoony as WoW's but nowhere near as nice as AoC's. Like the colors though and it looks like the equipment customization has a lot more to offer than AoC.

Like the UI/menus

Like the look and feel of the game. Easy to jump into.

Character Race/Classes are pretty diverse. Looks like it might be fun game to play through several character types:

http://warhammer.gameamp.com/info/showClasses

There's really no tutorial although the little help ?'s you click on take you through the UI and options pretty fast as you go through the first few quests.

Like how the ranged pistol is handled so far. Killed a rabbit. Will check it out more after the ASU game!

I'm on the Ostermark server.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Someone describing a few differences between WoW and WAR:
* WAR is low fantasy. Magic is obviously a powerful force in Warhammer, and several classes sling it around like hash at a buffet, but generally the world is much grittier and brutal than what we see in Warcraft.

* One faction is evil. No, actually evil, not just 'misunderstood'. The Orcs want to eat babies, the Dark Elves are sadists, and the Chaos Marauders want everyone dead or corrupted. You are playing a very bad person if you fight for Destruction.

* The humans are deeply religious. The worship of Sigmar is a driving force for their culture, and religiosity is present in the game in a way very much absent from Warcraft. Not that this doesn't make the humans virtuous - in truth, they're every bit as conniving as the residents of Stormwind.

* War is now. In Warcraft, the war has been over for a bit. The world as a whole is in a state of relative peace, though there are obviously plenty of border skirmishes and political problems. In Warhammer what little peace and prosperity people can find is beset on all sides by violence. There are famines, plagues, and war is everywhere.

WoW to WAR classes:

Warrior: Ironbreaker, Black Orc, Swordmaster, Chosen
Rogue: Witch Elf, Witch Hunter
Mage: Bright Wizard, Sorceress
Priest: Rune Priest, Zealot
Druid: Marauder
Hunter: Squig Herder, White Lion, Shadow Warrior
Shaman: Goblin Shaman, High Elf Archmage
Paladin: Warrior Priest, Disciple of Khaine
Warlock: Dwarven Engineer, Chaos Magus

As was probably obvious in our discussion of world setting above, Warhammer is a much more 'serious' place than Azeroth. You won't find pop culture references thick on the ground, no Paris Hilton stand-ins selling merchandise in a tavern. This isn't to say that Warhammer is without humor. Quite the opposite, actually - the game is full of black humor and fart jokes. The tone is just very different than what you're used to from WoW.

The graphics are an equally big departure. Bright colors and rounded edges are the exception in Warhammer, not the rule. The most 'pleasant' places you're likely to see in Warhammer are in the High Elf areas, and even there the ravages of war have left their indelible mark. The world as a whole is a pockmarked land of old battlefields and burned villages. Colors are muted and toned to match.

Questing

Instead of the typical yellow exclamation points, players new to Warhammer should be on the lookout for green circles. They're hanging over the heads of NPCs with stuff to do, and much of the questing experience in WAR will feel very familiar to a WoW veteran. What is different is that your questing experience creates an actual story for you, which you can follow via the Tome of Knowledge. Looking back through the Tome at past quests you've accomplished gives a real sense of an ongoing tale, one which is well worth exploring.

There are also a few different types of quests in Warhammer Online, most of which are fully explored in the famous 'bears bears bears' Mythic podcast. Kill Collectors have been implemented in the game only for certain creatures, and the collectors are located in specific hubs. Look for their distinctive markers on the map to get credit for your kills. The most talked-about new quest type is the Public Quest, an epic event that bands numerous players together to accomplish a unique story-based objective. Be sure to read up on PQs in one of the couple of features we've done on the subject.

Crafting

Though WAR crafting will feel somewhat familiar to WoW players, the act of crafting occupies a very different role than it does in Azeroth. Crafting in Altdorf and Inevitable City isn't the full-fledge hobby you have in Stormwind or Undercity. There are only two actual creation crafts, potion-making and talisman-crafting, and a handful of collection/gathering crafts. Full details on the WAR crafting process can be found in our in-depth interview on the subject. Suffice it to say that if crafting is your favorite thing about World of Warcraft, you might be a bit disappointed by its backseat role in Warhammer Online.

UI

Warhammer's user interface is as customizable as Warcraft's, and within months you're sure to see user-generated mods from the community. Alongside those external mods, though, Warhammer features a user-changeable interface. Elements can be rescaled, resized, and moved with almost limitless freedom. However you want the screen arranged, you're going to be able to create the experience you need. Each class, too, has a unique UI element on the hotbar at the bottom of the screen. This UI element ties directly into class's mechanics, and informs you how you should be playing the game.

PvP

Without a doubt the biggest departure from the World of Warcraft experience is the role of Player vs. Player combat. Where competition with other players is a sideline activity to inject some differentiation into your experience in WoW, it's one of the primary things to do in Warhammer Online. That's not to say you have to PvP, of course, but it's a much more important part of the WAR experience. Players who choose to engage in PvP will gain experience, money, and a sort of PvP experience called renown for doing so. Gaining levels in renown allows player the opportunity to select tactics, slottable improvements to your character that change and shape your play experience.

The most familiar WoW PvP element is probably the battleground, known in Warhammer Online as RvR Scenarios. Scenarios are short, 15-minute long directed experiences in instanced maps. They're joined by entering a queue, something that's as easy as clicking on the tiny Warhammer symbol to the left of your mini-map. Each Tier of content in each racial pairing has its own Scenario, and you automatically join the Scenario associated with the tier you're in and the zone you're in. Low level Greenskins and Dwarves join the Gates of Ekrund, for example, and a high elf, human, chaos or dark elf in either the dwarven or greenskin zones would join the same queue.

RvR also takes place in the game's open world, in what are called "RvR lakes". These are special areas of the map, highlighted in color, in which RvR combat is always enabled. Within these lakes are special objectives, including huge landmarks like fortresses and keeps. Warhammer features a full-fleshed out siege gameplay component, and capturing these landmarks is all a part of the game's ongoing struggle between Order and Destruction.

The 'end-game' activity for Warhammer Online is entirely focused around this struggle. At level 40 players compete over the highest tier zones, seeking to control them for their faction. By pushing the enemy back on all fronts, players open up the possibility of invading and sacking the opposing side's capital city! This elaborate endgame scenario is discussed in full in yet another of our in-depth articles. Despite some changes to how this mechanic works (there being only two capitals in the game at launch), the gameplay is still compelling and a very different experience.

Fash
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Fash »

Despite being more busy in life than ever, I walked out of Best Buy with this tonight and it is installing. I know absolutely nothing about it at this point, I just can't resist checking out an MMO.
Fash

--
Naivety is dangerous.
Kwonryu DragonFist
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Know anything about Games Workshop Fash? :)
Thanks to Thess
---xx0O0xx---
Kaldaur
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kaldaur »

You won't be disappointed, Fash. I haven't had this much fun in a long time. The best part is, the game is so accessible right from level 1. If you want to get involved in PvP, just start searching for a scenario. Yeah, you won't be as good as a lvl 5 or 10, but the bolster effect of pumping everyone up to lvl 8 stats helps those beginning levels.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Here's a couple screens showing a public quest and stats, captured enemy points blowing up, some basic combat, dying clothes options, and some abilities for Sorceress

Spoiler due to size: (some cropped/resized so hard to read, screens are clear at full res)
[Show]

I switched to Sorceress and am having a blast. So far, love the way the Sorcerer's abilities are set up. They have a very long range. One of the bigger magic attacks takes awhile to get to the target from long range, while that bolt is traveling, you can follow up with a instant hit long ranged DOT, and then with another medium cast attack. All of these attacks build up your dark magic levels. You can cast these dark magic points as a ranged damage spell (fairly quick cast). The longer you wait (building up dark magic points casting other spells), the higher the damage. It's a perfect kill shot type attack as you use it or lose it after the fight so you just need to judge when you think the mob will die from the dark magic attack and then unleash it. So far all of my spell attacks have a chance to backfire doing me damage. I'm also not sure that if I let my Dark Magic Points build over 100 that I won't overload and hurt myself. Kinda nice trade off for the heavy damage you can cause.

I didn't even realize I could melee with my staff up through level 4.

The public quests look like fun. I was really too low a level (as you can see from the screens) to be in there but as long as I ran near the action, I got some renown points and experience. This game has several types of points you can work on acquiring which allow you to buy or be rewarded with various things.

I couldn't create an evil character on he same server my good character is on so my sorcerer is on one called Saphery. (character name: Winnow)