Underrated and overrated actors + your favourite actors

Movie, DVD, and TV reviews and discussion

Moderators: Abelard, Drolgin Steingrinder

Nick
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Underrated and overrated actors + your favourite actors

Post by Nick »

In a world seemingly fixated on Brad Pitt, Angelina Jolie and George Clooney we have plenty of room for the less acknowledged actors of our generation.

Those who are known for their acting skill in the current crop of Hollywood stars/starlets include (in no particular order) Russell Crowe, Denzel Washington, Leonardo Di Caprio, Daniel Day Lewis etc etc - (this is a very short list and just an example). Feel free to add your own.

This thread is really just about who your favourite actors would be at the moment, if you have any. Also, who you think are overrated actors and underrated actors. This would mean current actors working in films released nowadays. (I'm simply arbitrarily laying this rule down, we could make another thread for past actors).

Actors means both men and women in this case (Thread title is too damn short) :O

My favourite actors in no particular order

Russell Crowe - Gladiator was a true epic. Crowe is pretty much superb in anything he does. I wish he did more films.

Peter O'Toole - A living legend. Both on screen and stage. The definitive Shakesperean superstar. If any of you haven't seen any of his recent work, go and download or rent Venus. It's one of the best films of recent times and just to make it even better it was written by the superlative Hanif Kureshi.

Ian Mckellen - Gandalf. Nuff said.

Denzel Washington - This guy is really starting to come into his own as he matures. He did the whole "cool cop" thing for a few times, and cool seems to be the word here. Denzel Washington is just cool as fuck.

Cillian Murphy - For my yank friends you probably know him as scarecrow in the new Batman films, where he puts on a terrible American accent yet remains fairly interesting regardless. I'm a terrible film addict, and Ireland has some truly fantastic films - if you saw them I'm pretty sure you would agree. I'm not just saying that out of "patriotism" - it's true. Ireland is pretty good at art! Murphy is in a few fantastic Irish films, the most notable of which are Intermission (An absolute must see), Breakfast on Pluto (an absolute must see), The wind that shakes the Barley (An absolute must see).... You see where I'm going with this. Don't let that piece of shit Red Eye taint your impression of this guy's brilliance.

Cate Blanchett - I watched the film I'm not there a while back. It's the one about Bob Dylan, sort of. In a steller cast including Bale and Ledger, Blanchett is easily the star of the show. This woman is fantastic.

Christian Bale - A little bit of a vanilla choice here. But he's Batman for christ sake. Also, American Psycho, The Machinist and the little fact that he's John Connor in the new Terminator. He's a solid lead, but I do hope he doesn't become a moron and start doing simple big budget films and does a little more oddball acting like that seen in American Psycho. Otherwise I'll have to remove him (oh I'm sure he'll care so much :o )

Jack Nicholson - Ok he was better when he was younger but he's still Jack Nicholson for christsake.

Leonardo Di Caprio - He was superb in the fantastic Romeo and Juliet. I hated Titanic, but I was young and haven't seen it in about 8 years. He's getting better as he gets uglier. This guy is probably underrated because of his looks. Which is a shame. He is a class act.

Robert De Niro - Yes, like Nicholson his best days are behind him, but he's surprised everyone by being almost alarmingly good at being funny and not just a total hard motherfucker.

Gary Oldman - Oldman has been amazing in so many films there is no point even going into this choice in any further detail.

Clive Owen (mainly for Sin City) - Shoot'em'up was shit though. I think he's a quality lead though. Not as good as most of the other people on this list though (maybe he will prove me wrong though - he is fairly likeable)

Kevin Spacey - American beauty is one of the best films of our generation. He does a lot of duds, but he's a great stage actor too, I appreciate that. He is also just "cool". (Also very definitely gay).

Ok there are more but I'll maybe add some more or go into more detail if there are any replies that don't include Winnow or Midnyte shitting up the thread.

Overrated actors - I'll explain why

Brad Pitt - I was never a fan of Seven like so many others were. Yes it was a good film, but not a great film. He was Tyler Durden, so for that reason alone Brad Pitt is awesome. But frankly I am sick of seeing him in shitty gossip magazines at my girlfriends house, or see yahoo news shitting itself everytime he even so much as picks his hoop near Angelina Jolie. Also, the "oceans" films were fucking awful. Way to get a load of talented actors and do nothing but show them being smug idiots for what, nearly 5 hours of screentime? Pitt looks like he has an ounce of self respect and should be appearing in a few actually good films in the coming year. Hopefully.

Angelina Jolie - Tomb Raider, Wanted, Mr and Mrs Smith. This woman hasn't been in a good film in almost 20 years. She is of course hot, but so are lots of women, big fucking deal over nothing. Wow, she has tattoos and is alternative because she has children from places most of us haven't travelled to. Yawn. Not so much an actor as wank bank material (true).

Al Pacino - Sorry everyone! But Pacino should try making a film worth watching that wasn't made 15 or more years ago. Also stop being "Al Pacino" in every film you're in. I also apply this to De Niro to a degree, but at least he has a quality comedic streak. If De Niro is tired of the hard hitting acting jobs I can accept that - he's proven himself. As has Pacino in the past. But the past isn't now, yet he's still churning out the same old increasingly rusty looking garbage.

Shia LeBouef - Connected silver spoon child that looks a little lost and vulnerable which women and closet homosexuals (I'm looking at you Spielberg!) seem to love. There's no excuse for Disturbia. Although I still haven't seen the latest Indiana Jones film, so maybe he is good in that? I enjoyed Transformers but not because of him. (Megan Fox + Optimus Prime 8) )

Tom Cruise - My main issue with Cruise stems mainly from the fact that he is a total and utter lunatic who needs to shut the fuck up and make a film that's enjoyable without the audience having to consciously ignore the fact that a dwarf in a mental cult is somehow the superhero/athletic protagonist.

Johnny Depp - Johnny Depp is a great actor. Really he is. Apart from that piece of shit Fear and loathing in Las Vegas that celebrated the life of a moron counter culture fuckwit. I actually really quite like Johnny Depp. The problem is that I'm just bored watching him volunteering to play out whatever cinematic fucking threesome goth fetish Tim Burton has in his head this week that involves Depp being married to that untalented ugly motherfucker that is Helena Bonham Carter Burton Depp whatever her name is. If there's a more stale formula for a blockbuster around than seeing Burton direct Depp and Bonham-Carter through a two hour romantically linked "wow ITS VERY BLACK AND SORT OF CREEPY AND UNNERVING BURTON HAS A SICK MIND" kind of film then I haven't seen it. (I liked Sweeney Todd, I'm only joking, but the point remains). Also, Pirates of the Caribbean is not as good as everyone thinks it is. The last one was fucking awful and had a play time of about 5 months. For that matter, Orlando Bloom is shit too. So is Keira Knightley.

Mike Myers and Eddie Murphy - Riding on former glory's isn't working. Both of these assholes need to stop making films. Wayne's World was genius, Shrek 3 is not. Morons.

Those assholes who make films like Knocked Up and Superbad - Michael Cera is marginally interesting because he is comically inept and goofy, and the chick from Juno is maybe interesting because she is hot but doesn't act like it and has a clear voice. Hollywood sees money in an ALT FART JOKE TEEN WITH A TINGE OF EMOTION INDY genre so these morons, to the virtual exclusion of everyone else, are being given blank cheques to make movies that are unfunny and about an hour too long. Self indulgent, mindless, pseudo intellectual bullshit. I especially detest that unfunny fat little fuck who drew cocks in Superbad - he needs to die in a fire. Anyone who's typecast for essentially dragging out the following joke for 2 hours over about 3 films is a fucking embarrasment.

"CUNTS LOL PUSSY BITCHES I DRAW DICKS AND I SAY RUDE WORDS EVEN THOUGH IM YOUNG AND ON SCREEN DICK DICK DICK PINKEYE DICK ABORTION"

Yeah we get it tubby, you're edgy and don't play by anybody's rules, Hi fucking larious. Except not at all. American Pie was funnier and more relevant than anything these assholes shit out. The worst one is Seth Rogen. How this asshole became a hollywood star is fucking beyond me. "Mclovin" was funny.

For like 2 minutes.

I'll probably get criticized for that but hey, subjectivity, get over it.

Underrated Actors

Viggo Mortenson - Obviously. He's Aragorn! (Yes I like LOTR - although not Peter Jackson, but that's for another thread). He's been in some films that fly under the radar. He is always a total badass/hero.

Brendan Gleeson - Another Irish actor who is in a load of really fantastic films. 28 days later, In Bruges etc etc

Paul Giamatti - Hey, I liked Lady in the Water ok? And Sideways is a great film. (let's ignore shoot'em'up for the moment). Giamatti is a master of the "middle aged lonely 'good guys always come last' role.

Woody Harrelson - Cmon wise up, he's good........ sometimes.

Ron Livingston - Why is this guy not in more films?

Val Kilmer - Most people probably think Val Kilmer is shit. Most people probably haven't seen The Salton Sea.

Other musings

Edward Norton should make a good film sometime instead of phoning in every fucking character he ever plays.

Pearce Brosnan needs more opportunities outside of being typecast as a James Bond character (See The Matador for more reasons why this is so)

Samuel L Jackson should have retired after Pulp Fiction. It's actually embarrassing to watch now. He even made a film with the "lol im very very jewish and try to be down with the kids" american pie dad. Jesus fucking christ. I repeat, Jesus fucking christ. Sort it out Jackson, are you that poor that you need to do this? Also, you only have one character, and although it was funny, telling the same joke to people over and over is not.

Ewan Mcgregor should stop cashing in on Trainspotting and make a decent film. He's likeable, that's not an excuse to make shit films - Also he should stop making his motorcycle adventures less about his on again/off again romance with Charlie Boorman and more about the spirit of travelling.

Scarlett Johansson is hot but untalented.

Kiefer Sutherland should get more chances to play diverse roles because Jack Bauer is virtually the coolest character ever and extremely well acted. He's also a partying alcoholic drink driver in real life and if we are honest with ourselves we pretty much hope and expect that sort of thin from our rockstars and actors. (Paris Hilton not included because Paris Hilton is a fucking asshole who should be erased from everyones collective experience asap).

Christian Slater is underrated and needs to start appearing in films again that aren't shit.

Will Smith has the potential to be a truly great actor if he wants to be. The problem is he doesn't appear to be want to (I am legend should have been a stepping stone to more than cocking Hancock)

Thank fuck Peter Jackson isn't making The Hobbit, we won't have to endure an extended homo-erotic bastardisation of a cinematic interpretation of arguably some of the most beloved and interesting literature of the last century.

.....yeah ok, got a bit carried away. Boredom + drunk eh? (lol irish stereotype if you're a moron) This could be an interesting thread. Fire away if you want to contribute :)
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Re: Underrated and overrated actors + your favourite actors

Post by Fairweather Pure »

This has the potential to be a good topic. I will think on it and post my opinions and reasoning later.

My issues with your listing of overrated actors is that you let too much of the media and it's sensationalism affect your judgement. I believe an actor sould be judged strictly by his or her body of work, and that alone. I do not follow tabloids or an actor's lifestyle because I just don't care in the slightest. It dosen't matter if they are crazy, rich, queer, or druggies. I care about what they bring to the table in terms of acting and my facination with them stops there.
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

Here are some of my favorites in no particular order:

Daniel Day-Lewis
Bill Murray
Morgan Freeman
Benicio del Toro
Philip Seymour Hoffman
Jeffrey Wright
John Turturro
Clifton Collins Jr.
Chris Cooper
R. Lee Ermey
Denzel Washington
Jack Nicholson

I enjoy their acting.
Make love, fuck war, peace will save us.
Kaldaur
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Kaldaur

Post by Kaldaur »

Patrick Stewart deserves every credit he gets. Even in cash cows like X-Men, he still manages to bring forth interesting sides to a character. And the smaller, British productions he participates in are absolutely wonderful.
Ryan Gosling is up there as well. I've loved and been creeped out by him on more than one occasion. Excellent actor, looking away from Notebook.
Lynks
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: launchpad1979

Post by Lynks »

Clive Owen is overrated, Brad Pitt is not and as for DeNiro, I'm getting pretty tired of the things he does now (the serious guy who has quirks). The rest of Nick's list is alright. I also agree with the Christian Slater comment and look forward to watching his new tv series (looks pretty bad though).

Oldman and Spacey are the best.
Xatrei
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Xatrei »

I can't really say that I spend enough time thinking about film actors (or any other kind of actor for that matter) to have a well thought out list of favorites or ones that I think are over/underrated. Generally, I either like a film or I don't, and who is in it doesn't really enter into the equation much. It is, however, virtually impossible to get me to sit through a Julia Roberts or Sandra Bullock movie. As for stuff like Superbad or Knocked Up, I certainly wouldn't want to live on a diet of Seth Rogen comedies alone, but I do think movies like this have their place. Sometimes, the vulgar humor featured in these films is just what's called for.
"When I was a kid, my father told me, 'Never hit anyone in anger, unless you're absolutely sure you can get away with it.'" - Russel Ziskey
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: miir1

Post by miir »

Brad Pitt I think is a great actor who has been in some very good films and plays a wide range of characters.

Seven
12 Monkeys
Fight Club
Snatch
Babel
True Romance
The Assassination of Jesse James (he was the only reason that film was watchable)

Tom Cruise frustrates me... he's a total fucking lunatic but he's been so good in so many good films.
If I met him in real life, I'd probably want to punch him in the face for being such an idiot... but I wouldn't hesitate to watch any of his movies.
I've got 99 problems and I'm not dealing with any of them - Lay-Z
Bubba Grizz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Bubba Grizz »

I don't know if I can go into the detail that Nick did but I can make a list of those I like and those I don't.

Actors I like and would want to see in movies. (disclaimer - I don't care about their off-screen bullshit)
Mel Gibson
Bruce Willis
Tom Selleck
Russel Crowe
Clive Owen
Ryan Reynolds
Dwayne Johnson - The Rock
Christopher Walken
George Clooney
Sean Connery
Vanessa Williams
Charlize Theron
Ashely Judd
Kevin Bacon

Actors I try to avoid if possible
Jim Carey - though perfectly cast as the Riddler
Julliette Lewis - though she was good in Dusk to Dawn
Dennis Hopper - I really like this guy as a person but I just can't get into his acting
Woody Harelson - I loved this guy up until Natural Born Killers. That ruined anything else he was in for me.

There are far too many actors I really like to see to list them all. Also, a lot depends on the genre of the film. The women I listed are mainly because they are really hot and I like what they did in the movies I saw. I guess for me it is easier to list those that I really wouldn't go out of my way to see them in a movie, especially in the starring role.
Ashur
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Ashur »

Nick wrote:Ron Livingston - Why is this guy not in more films?
I was just saying this yesterday when some friends and I were discussing Band of Brothers, where he had a supporting role.
- Ash
Trek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Trek »

I only have a list of overrated actors/actresses:

Tom Cruise
Julia Roberts
Angelina Jolie
Kirsten Dunst
George Clooney
Keanu Reeves

They probably all have movies that I liked a lot, but that was dispite them not because of them....they suck
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Canelek

Post by Canelek »

Ron Livingston was brilliant in Band of Brothers. That reminds me--I need to watch the series yet again. Best DVD set I have ever bought.

As for Brad Pitt, I'd hardly call him overrated, unless you are talking about smoozefest hammy crap like Ocean's 12, 13 etc. Kalifornia and 12 Monkies were great roles.
en kærlighed småkager
Trek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Trek »

I have to agree that Pitt is awesome, I really want to hate on him but I cant.

Band of Brothers is probably the best thing ive ever watched.
Nick
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Nick »

:shock: I completely forgot about 12 monkeys and Snatch. :shock: My bad. Pitt really can be fantastic at times. I guess its just the "Mrs and Mrs Smith" sort of stuff that detracts from his other fantastic work.

I agree with Patrick Stewart, he's pretty awesome. Both on screen and stage. He's also in American dad right? That makes him even cooler.

Tom Selleck was awesome as Magnum, I watched Magnum loads when I was about 10. It was funny and exciting :)
But for the life of me the only film I can ever really remember him from is 3 men and a baby. But he is another of those "likeable" sort of guys. This was used specifically in his "Richard" role in Friends.

I always think Keanu Reeves gets a bad press. About how wooden he is and such. The Matrix was a fantastic trilogy, and I, unlike about 99% of the rest of the internet, thought he was pretty badass. Virtually anyone would have been awesome as Neo. I always think the criticism of Reeves in The Matrix is to a degree the result "internet critics gone mad" syndrome. Not that he was worthy of an Oscar or anything, I just don't think he was the wooden plank so many made him out to be.

I also liked Constantine, in that odd, mindless, stupid sort of way.
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

Ah yes, he was excellent in snatch as well.

Aside from Mr and Mrs Smith and the Oceans crap, he pretty much is the shit.

As far as Patrick Stewart....well, he flat out owned Excalibur.
en kærlighed småkager
rhyae
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by rhyae »

Greg Kinnear is underrated imo.
Trek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Trek »

I forgot to add Kevin Costner to my overrated list. He has a few movies I enjoyed but I dont think he is a great actor.
Bubba Grizz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Bubba Grizz »

My favorite movie that include Kevin Costner is Silverado. He was really cool in that one.

About Tom Selleck. I think he did a large number of westerns and such. I can only remember him from two other movies, one where he plays a gay reporter and the other, Runaway, where he chases robots. (Kirsti Alli when she was hot was in that)
Burke
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Burke »

I always think Keanu Reeves gets a bad press
Maybe so, maybe not. Watch his performance in Point Break. I know, its just a mediocre actioner.
But one of his little speeches to his partner in the movie made me want to stab him to death with a crystalized spear of his ineptitude.
Drinsic Darkwood
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Drinsic Darkwood »

Nick wrote:I always think Keanu Reeves gets a bad press. About how wooden he is and such. The Matrix was a fantastic trilogy, and I, unlike about 99% of the rest of the internet, thought he was pretty badass. Virtually anyone would have been awesome as Neo. I always think the criticism of Reeves in The Matrix is to a degree the result "internet critics gone mad" syndrome. Not that he was worthy of an Oscar or anything, I just don't think he was the wooden plank so many made him out to be.
This is exactly why so many people trash Keanu. The film wasn't good because of him; I don't hate him or anything, but it wasn't so much Reeves as it was the movie itself that made The Matrix so badass.
Do unto others what has been done to you.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Keanu's OK but he's a little one dimensional.

Take a look at his movie, A Walk in the Clouds to see how bad he is in a normal role:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0114887/
Trek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Trek »

Bubba Grizz wrote:My favorite movie that include Kevin Costner is Silverado. He was really cool in that one.

About Tom Selleck. I think he did a large number of westerns and such. I can only remember him from two other movies, one where he plays a gay reporter and the other, Runaway, where he chases robots. (Kirsti Alli when she was hot was in that)

I like Silvarado and Field of dreams, Sellek was also in Quigly down under.....but really he is only Magnum PI!
Momopi
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Momopi »

I think John Malkovich, Gene Hackman, Christian Bale and Phillip seymore hoffman are some of the best.
Only actor that irritates me is that Statham guy who always makes bad movies where he is in the lead role.
Momopi Down warder of PD
Naala Momokitty Raid Assassin of PD Meow Meow
Naala the Breeder in Ted Club
Bubba Grizz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Bubba Grizz »

I like that guy though too. Transporter 3 comes out in October I think. I wonder how Death Race will be.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

Winnow wrote:Keanu's OK but he's a little one dimensional.

Take a look at his movie, A Walk in the Clouds to see how bad he is in a normal role:

I read a bunch of user reviews and they were overwhelmingly positive.

Some comments:
Keanu Reeves was great in his part and so was the rest of the cast, I never knew Keanu Reeves can be a romantic and sensitive guy.

Keanu Reeves is often ridiculed for his acting ability, but he does well here.

I was never a huge fan of Keanu Reeves, but he really lit up the screen with this role.

Keanu Reeves plays his part extremely well, as does Anthony Quinn. This is a must see movie for anyone who enjoys a good romance.

Anthony Quinn was superb and Keanu Reeves could not have been more believable as a simple man with a good heart and high values.

They are many roles that Reaves is not suited for. I am not a fan of his Matrix acting and please keep him away from Shakespeare. However playing a humble straight forward guy with some nobility he can do.
I think he's an awful actor, but this looks like it's far from his worst movie.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

miir wrote:
Winnow wrote:Keanu's OK but he's a little one dimensional.

I read a bunch of user reviews and they were overwhelmingly positive.

Some comments:
Keanu Reeves was great in his part and so was the rest of the cast, I never knew Keanu Reeves can be a romantic and sensitive guy.

Keanu Reeves is often ridiculed for his acting ability, but he does well here.

I was never a huge fan of Keanu Reeves, but he really lit up the screen with this role.

Keanu Reeves plays his part extremely well, as does Anthony Quinn. This is a must see movie for anyone who enjoys a good romance.

Anthony Quinn was superb and Keanu Reeves could not have been more believable as a simple man with a good heart and high values.

They are many roles that Reaves is not suited for. I am not a fan of his Matrix acting and please keep him away from Shakespeare. However playing a humble straight forward guy with some nobility he can do.
I think he's an awful actor, but this looks like it's far from his worst movie.
Perhaps you should watch the movie yourself instead of relying on anonymous reviews!

I didn't say it's his worst movie but it's a run of the mill romance movie at best. To be fair, Russell Crowe was in a similar movie (about wine and romance), A Good Year, and it sucked as well.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

Romance flicks have their audience... just like action flicks.
If by romance movie standards A Walk in the Clouds is judged a good film, who am I to argue. I don't like and don't watch romance films.
It was nominated for a couple of awards and won a golden globe... it musn't have been complete crap.

Compare that to Johnny Mnemonic.
I like Sci-Fi and action movies... I like William Gibson's writing... I think I'm a pretty good judge/critic of that particular genre.
That being said, Johnny Mnemonic was one one of the worst sci-fi/action flicks released in the 1990s... and is in my opinion the worst Keanu Reeves movie.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Post by Funkmasterr »

I'd just like to add, because I saw his name mentioned above, that I loathe Phillip Seymour Hoffman. He did too good of a job playing his role in The Talented Mr. Ripley, I'm thinking his character in that movie (douchebag) isn't too far off from how he really is.

It was just one of those roles for me. They actually did a good job acting but it made me dislike them (for the reason listed above). Another example of this would be Joaquin Phoenix.
Fash
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: sylblaydis

Post by Fash »

Funkmasterr wrote:Another example of this would be Joaquin Phoenix.
Seconded. I never really saw him in anything until Gladiator, and I disliked the character so much the feeling transferred to him. That may mean he did an incredible job acting, or he may be a complete douchebag. I think Walk the Line only reinforced this.
Fash

--
Naivety is dangerous.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

miir wrote: Compare that to Johnny Mnemonic.

I like Sci-Fi and action movies... I like William Gibson's writing... I think I'm a pretty good judge/critic of that particular genre.
That being said, Johnny Mnemonic was one one of the worst sci-fi/action flicks released in the 1990s... and is in my opinion the worst Keanu Reeves movie.
I liked Johnny Mnemonic. It's not going to win any awards or be nominated for a golden globe (which I guess makes a movie good no matter what according to your romance movie theory), but it was entertaining in the same way Hackers was entertaining with a suspension of belief and knowing that it's exaggerated (or low budget). People don't want to see a hacker looking at numbers on a screen. It doesn't translate well to the screen unless you visualize it. (same thing they did in Swordfish)
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Winnow wrote:
miir wrote: Compare that to Johnny Mnemonic.

I liked Johnny Mnemonic. It's not going to win any awards or be nominated for a golden globe (which I guess makes a movie good no matter what according to your romance movie theory), but it was entertaining in the same way Hackers was entertaining with a suspension of belief and knowing that it's exaggerated (or low budget). People don't want to see a hacker looking at numbers on a screen. It doesn't translate well to the screen unless you visualize it. (same thing they did in Swordfish)
I love Swordfish, but that was one of my biggest gripes about it (and other hacker movies). I don't care if people won't find it as interesting to watch the dude type a bunch of nonsensical shit into notepad, it will be an accurate representation of how it's really done, and people that know how to program/hack will appreciate it.. And they are probably the only crowd that gives a shit honestly.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

a suspension of belief
lol?
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

miir wrote:
a suspension of belief
lol?
Christ, people are reading my posts. note to self: start making more sense.

there's more bs where that came from!

Funk:

While I agree that seeing a real hacker at work would be interesting for some, including me, it's not going to sell a lot of tickets. I don't want to see fat ugly people on the screen. They're good for a laugh (that fat computer guy in Jurassic Park for example) but I'd rather see good actors fake it unless it's a documentary.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

I always read your posts, winnow. :D
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

Phillip Seymore Hoffman was fucking great in The Big Lebowski.

Keanu.. well... I like the first Matrix movie. He was pretty cool in that. I just can't get past his acting in every other movie.

Dracula (luckily he wasn't able to truly fuck up the rest of the movie)
Speed (I can't stand Sandra B either)
Point Break
en kærlighed småkager
Lynks
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Lynks »

If Matt Damon does some type of comedy and pulls it off well, I would consider him a great actor too. He kicked ass in the Bourne Trilogy and in Good Will Hunting.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

Lynks wrote:If Matt Damon does some type of comedy and pulls it off well, I would consider him a great actor too. He kicked ass in the Bourne Trilogy and in Good Will Hunting.
I thought he was pretty good in that I'm Fucking Matt Damon video.
laneela
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by laneela »

I want to hate Tom Cruise so badly. I succeed most of the time. But then he does something like his character in Tropic Thunder and I'm left hating myself for not being able to hate him.
Laneela
You may take our lives, but you will never take our trousers!
laneela
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by laneela »

miir wrote:
Lynks wrote:If Matt Damon does some type of comedy and pulls it off well, I would consider him a great actor too. He kicked ass in the Bourne Trilogy and in Good Will Hunting.
I thought he was pretty good in that I'm Fucking Matt Damon video.
He was pretty funny as the closet-cased straight guy who pretends to be gay to get in the all-male choir in Will & Grace.
Laneela
You may take our lives, but you will never take our trousers!
Lynks
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Lynks »

I meant more in a movie but not Stuck on You.
Kaldaur
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Kaldaur

Post by Kaldaur »

For a long list of Matt Damon comedy:
http://www.youtube.com/results?search_q ... type=&aq=f
He likes to do a lot with the Kimmel show where he makes fun of himself. Pretty much all those videos are hilarious and are one of the reasons I like Matt Damon so much.
Bubba Grizz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Bubba Grizz »

Dogma!

Keanu is in The Day the Earth Stood Still coming on Dec 12th. I am really excited to see this one. I remember the original but just barely. (I'm old but not that old...I think)
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Funkmasterr wrote:I love Swordfish, but that was one of my biggest gripes about it (and other hacker movies). I don't care if people won't find it as interesting to watch the dude type a bunch of nonsensical shit into notepad, it will be an accurate representation of how it's really done, and people that know how to program/hack will appreciate it..
Uh, real hackers don't use Notepad. Duh.
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

They use TextPad, dumbass.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

TextPad does rule I'll give you that!
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

:lol:

I actually use UltraEdit, but I just program, not hack :)
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

I open a DOS window and edit everything using only a command line and a toothpick.
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: mp72

Post by Sylvus »

vi 4 lyfe
"It's like these guys take pride in being ignorant." - Barack Obama

Go Blue!
Fash
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: sylblaydis

Post by Fash »

The Swordfish 'cube' animation was good for a laugh.. I agree that sometimes it's lame how they dumb down the computer stuff, but I don't see any other way of making it interesting on film. If they made an accurate portrayal of hacking or virus creation, 99% of the audience won't understand a lick of it. They have to dumb it down to explain it, just as we would have to in order to explain it to our parents.

I used to like pico/nano, but now I like vi. and notepad. and edit.com. 8)
Fash

--
Naivety is dangerous.
Ashur
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Ashur »

<3 TextPad - got a license in the mid 90s and work has a license now. It rules.
- Ash
Bubba Grizz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Bubba Grizz »

Actually Die Harder looked much better for computer geekiness than those other movies. I love the whole 3 fingered salute and get blown up thing.