Source of Diabetes in US Discovered

Recipes, Reccomendations, and Reviews
noel
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Source of Diabetes in US Discovered

Post by noel »

Paula Deen is the fucking devil. Talk about food for the lowest common denominator. I've used two of her recipes to date. The first was some kind of praline french toast, and yesterday a peach cobbler. In both cases the sweetness would be enough to wake a coma victim, and make you beg for water (or a lemon) to get the concentrated sugar taste out of your mouth. All of her recipes are sugar + butter + cream. I don't really have a huge problem with that because I'm smart enough to eat those types of recipes in moderation, but when I do make something like that, I expect it to fucking taste good and not just impress me with how concentrated the sweetness can be.

There's quite a few really good Food Network cooks who provide some great recipes to work with, some are healthy some aren't. I'm a big Emeril fan (I'm well aware you don't like him Pherr), and even he has his moments with similarly unhealthy cooking, but the difference is, his shit tastes good.

Anyway, all I'm saying is... avoid her recipes like the plague, or save yourself some time and eat a bag of sugar.
Oh, my God; I care so little, I almost passed out.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Re: Source of Diabetes in US Discovered

Post by Aslanna »

I'm a big Gordon Ramsay fan.

"Fuck me now we're in the shit!"
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Canelek

Post by Canelek »

As much as I do not like Emeril's schtick, he makes some tasty foodses.

I can't stand Paula Dean.
en kærlighed småkager
Midnyte_Ragebringer
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Daellyn

Post by Midnyte_Ragebringer »

Here nasal voice is very hard to listen to, but she does make tasty food. Problem is, there is nothing healthy at all in the shit she makes. I make a lot of her recipes, but I healthify them.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Post by Funkmasterr »

I'd say her style of cooking is pretty typical "down south" cooking. I would be willing to bet she could make a mean fucking dish of mac n cheese that wouldn't be too sweet :)
Keverian FireCry
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Keverian FireCry »

I prefer Barefoot Contessa's recipes by far. I have only made one of Paula's sweet recipes and like you said, it's way over the top. I did have make a great corn bread from one of her recipes, with lots of whole corn in it. Was really yummy with BBQ ribs.

As far as southern cooking goes, she's good, but it's definitely not for the health-conscious eater. It's pretty common knowledge that southern food is generally not very subtle and not very healthy.

As far as food network goes, I like a lot of Barefoot Contessa's recipes. I pretty much live off her "green goddess salad dressing". It's not the healthiest dressing, but if you're like me and don't like to use much dressing anyhow, then it's quite tasty.I also get rave reviews from absolutely everyone who tries the guacamole I make from one of her books.

Guacamole

4 ripe Haas avocados
3 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice (1 lemon)
8 dashes hot pepper sauce
1/2 cup small-diced red onion (1 small onion)
1 large garlic clove, minced
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 medium tomato, seeded, and small-diced

Cut the avocados in 1/2, remove the pits, and scoop the flesh out of their shells into a large bowl. (I use my hands.) Immediately add the lemon juice, hot pepper sauce, onion, garlic, salt, and pepper and toss well. Using a sharp knife, slice through the avocados in the bowl until they are finely diced. Add the tomatoes. Mix well and taste for salt and pepper.
Don't mix it up so much that you lose the texture from big chunks of avocado, onion, and tomatoes. It's fucking fantastic if you do it right.

Green Goddess Salad Dressing

1 cup good mayonnaise
1 cup chopped scallions, white and green parts (6 to 7 scallions)
1 cup chopped fresh basil leaves
1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice (2 lemons)
2 teaspoons chopped garlic (2 cloves)
2 teaspoons anchovy paste
2 teaspoons kosher salt
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 cup sour cream
3 heads Bibb lettuce
2 to 3 tomatoes

Place the mayonnaise, scallions, basil, lemon juice, garlic, anchovy paste, salt and pepper in a blender and blend until smooth. Add the sour cream and process just until blended. (If not using immediately, refrigerate the dressing until ready to serve.)
It's meant to be served with crunchy lettuce, but works wonders on any mix of greens. I prefer a simple wedge of iceberg lettuce with the dressing on top. Add some sliced tomatoes on the side and any other additions you prefer.
Xouqoa
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Xouqoa

Post by Xouqoa »

Alton Brown 4 lyfe, dawg.
"Our problems are man-made, therefore they may be solved by man. No problem of human destiny is beyond human beings." - John F Kennedy
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Xouqoa wrote:Alton Brown 4 lyfe, dawg.
My girlfriend is really into cooking shows, and of the ones she watches I'd say he is my favorite. The only thing I'd change about the show is the attempts at humor - they are almost always about as far from funny as you can get, and I usually find myself wishing he would have just told me the facts in a normal way.
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

Dude's GIANT MOLE kinda freaks me out.
en kærlighed småkager
Hesten
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Hesten »

There are only ONE real TV cook: Floyd.

I can only respect a guy that manages to get himself half drunk on the local booze while making dinner :)
"Terrorism is the war of the poor, and war is the terrorism of the rich"
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

When I used to watch a lot of TV, I really enjoyed The Naked Chef and Taste with David Rosengarten.
Make love, fuck war, peace will save us.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

I miss the Frugal Gourmet :(
Tyek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Tyekk
PSN ID: Tyek

Post by Tyek »

Has anyone seen the "Take Home Chef" show? The chef goes to a grocery store and picks someone there to help make them dinner for their spouse or friend. Typically it is a very nice looking woman he picks out. It is kind of funny how he happens to always be in the store that has the hottie shopping AND she agrees to bring him and his crew to her house to make dinner. It is on TLC if you have not seen it, check it out.
When I was younger, I used to think that the world was doing it to me and that the world owes me some thing…When you're a teeny bopper, that's what you think. I'm 40 now, I don't think that anymore, because I found out it doesn't f--king work. One has to go through that. For the people who even bother to go through that, most assholes just accept what it is anyway and get on with it." - John Lennon
Zamtuk
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zamtuk »

No, don't check it out. That may be my most hated cooking show, ever. It is some fey Australian (or something) chef with frosted hair who prowls around supermarkets and always singles out the hot desparate housewife to cook for. It is the cheesiest and most retarded premise for a cooking show. The surprised looks on the husbands or significant others is supposed to resemble shock when they get home, but half the time it's what the fuck is this douchebag doing in my kitchen cooking in the tightest clothes he could find at Kids R Us?
Fuck Michigan!
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Zamtuk wrote:No, don't check it out. That may be my most hated cooking show, ever. It is some fey Australian (or something) chef with frosted hair who prowls around supermarkets and always singles out the hot desparate housewife to cook for. It is the cheesiest and most retarded premise for a cooking show. The surprised looks on the husbands or significant others is supposed to resemble shock when they get home, but half the time it's what the fuck is this douchebag doing in my kitchen cooking in the tightest clothes he could find at Kids R Us?
Wait so you are complaining that he preys on sexy women to cook for? Jesus, there are so many of these damn cooking shows that I have to suffer through that sexy housewives at least give me something to look at, never a complaint here! Great show!
Arborealus
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Arborealus »

He's the shit! Then again I like to understand why...

I guess my absolute favourite TV chef is Julia Childs...She is all that and a bag of chips...A true epicurean, cordon bleu trained chef, samrt as hell and funny as hell...If only I were 80...
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

And a grave robber?
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

Arborealus wrote:
He's the shit! Then again I like to understand why...

I guess my absolute favourite TV chef is Julia Childs...She is all that and a bag of chips...A true epicurean, cordon bleu trained chef, samrt as hell and funny as hell...If only I were 80...
you just have a thing for spies, don't you?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080813/ap_ ... s_revealed
Documents detailing early spy network released

WASHINGTON - Famed chef Julia Child shared a secret with Supreme Court Justice Arthur Goldberg and Chicago White Sox catcher Moe Berg at a time when the Nazis threatened the world. They served in an international spy ring managed by the Office of Strategic Services, an early version of the CIA created in World War II by President Franklin Roosevelt.

The secret comes out Thursday, all of the names and previously classified files identifying nearly 24,000 spies who formed the first centralized intelligence effort by the United States. The National Archives, which this week released a list of the names found in the records, will make available for the first time all 750,000 pages identifying the vast spy network of military and civilian operatives.

They were soldiers, actors, historians, lawyers, athletes, professors, reporters. But for several years during World War II, they were known simply as the OSS. They studied military plans, created propaganda, infiltrated enemy ranks and stirred resistance among foreign troops.

Among the more than 35,000 OSS personnel files are applications, commendations and handwritten notes identifying young recruits who, like Child, Goldberg and Berg, earned greater acclaim in other fields — Arthur Schlesinger Jr., a historian and special assistant to President Kennedy; Sterling Hayden, a film and television actor whose work included a role in "The Godfather"; and Thomas Braden, an author whose "Eight Is Enough" book inspired the 1970s television series.

Other notables identified in the files include John Hemingway, son of author Ernest Hemingway; Quentin and Kermit Roosevelt, sons of President Theodore Roosevelt, and Miles Copeland, father of Stewart Copeland, drummer for the band The Police.

The release of the OSS personnel files uncloaks one of the last secrets from the short-lived wartime intelligence agency, which for the most part later was folded into the CIA after President Truman disbanded it in 1945.

"I think it's terrific," said Elizabeth McIntosh, 93, a former OSS agent now living in Woodbridge, Va. "They've finally, after all these years, they've gotten the names out. All of these people had been told never to mention they were with the OSS."

The CIA had resisted releasing OSS records for decades. But former CIA Director William Casey, himself an OSS veteran, cleared the way for transfer of millions of OSS documents to the National Archives when he took over the agency in 1981. The personnel files are the latest to be made public.

Information about OSS involvement was so guarded that relatives often couldn't confirm a family member's work with the group.

Walter Mess, who handled covert OSS operations in Poland and North Africa, said he kept quiet for more than 50 years, only recently telling his wife of 62 years about his OSS activity.

"I was told to keep my mouth shut," said Mess, now 93 and living in Falls Church, Va.

The files will offer new information even for those most familiar with the agency. Charles Pinck, president of the OSS Society created by former OSS agents and their relatives, said the nearly 24,000 employees included in the archives far exceeds previous estimates of 13,000.

The newly released documents will clarify these and other issues, said William Cunliffe, an archivist who has worked extensively with the OSS records at the National Archives.

"We're saying the OSS was a lot bigger than they were saying," Cunliffe said.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Post by Fairweather Pure »

I like Paula. She cooks stuff that normal people eat. I think most of those cooking shows are way too pretentious, with cooks making food that I wouldn't see myself eating on a regular basis or would have to choke down.

For the record, out of all the homemade food I have ever eaten in my life, my wife's food is by far the best. She is gifted. All my family and friends agree. She has a very wide range of abilites, from baking to grilling, and can cook anything from seafood to rack of lamb. She can throw a hell of a party, theming all the food and decorating to boot. I think it kind of hurts my mother's feelings a bit because my wife's Thanksgiving and Xmas dinners go over so much better than hers :( Our Halloween parties are legendary, and they get better every year.

I lucked out, because I sure didn't date her for her cooking! She's just the absolute total package, and I consider myself the luckiest man in the world.

(I'm going to go reheat and eat some of the prime rib and cheesy potatoes left over from dinner right now)
noel
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by noel »

noel wrote:Talk about food for the lowest common denominator.
Oh, my God; I care so little, I almost passed out.
Xatrei
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Xatrei »

With a couple of exceptions, I pretty much hate all of the female personalities on the food network. The only one that I really like, Anne Burrell (an actual chef, and formerly Mario Batali's sous chef on Iron Chef America), just had a 4 or 5 episode run of test programs on Sunday mornings. Who knows whether she'll be picked up for more. I used to really enjoy Sara Moulton's shows as well as Gale Gand's program (again, both actual chefs), but both left the network a few years ago. I would seriously like to see Rachel Ray's head explode on live TV, and feel similarly about Paula Deen, Giada De Laurentiis and that annoying headcase Sandra Lee. I can tolerate Ina Garten, but her annoying laugh grates on my nerves by the end of an episode, and I don't mind Ingrid Hoffmann, but that's mainly because it's entertaining to watch her nonexistent knife skills.
"When I was a kid, my father told me, 'Never hit anyone in anger, unless you're absolutely sure you can get away with it.'" - Russel Ziskey
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Xatrei wrote:With a couple of exceptions, I pretty much hate all of the female personalities on the food network. The only one that I really like, Anne Burrell (an actual chef, and formerly Mario Batali's sous chef on Iron Chef America), just had a 4 or 5 episode run of test programs on Sunday mornings. Who knows whether she'll be picked up for more. I used to really enjoy Sara Moulton's shows as well as Gale Gand's program (again, both actual chefs), but both left the network a few years ago. I would seriously like to see Rachel Ray's head explode on live TV, and feel similarly about Paula Deen, Giada De Laurentiis and that annoying headcase Sandra Lee. I can tolerate Ina Garten, but her annoying laugh grates on my nerves by the end of an episode, and I don't mind Ingrid Hoffmann, but that's mainly because it's entertaining to watch her nonexistent knife skills.
Giada De Laurentiis is also hot, therefore I find more value in watching her show as opposed to others.
Midnyte_Ragebringer
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Funkmasterr wrote:
Xatrei wrote:With a couple of exceptions, I pretty much hate all of the female personalities on the food network. The only one that I really like, Anne Burrell (an actual chef, and formerly Mario Batali's sous chef on Iron Chef America), just had a 4 or 5 episode run of test programs on Sunday mornings. Who knows whether she'll be picked up for more. I used to really enjoy Sara Moulton's shows as well as Gale Gand's program (again, both actual chefs), but both left the network a few years ago. I would seriously like to see Rachel Ray's head explode on live TV, and feel similarly about Paula Deen, Giada De Laurentiis and that annoying headcase Sandra Lee. I can tolerate Ina Garten, but her annoying laugh grates on my nerves by the end of an episode, and I don't mind Ingrid Hoffmann, but that's mainly because it's entertaining to watch her nonexistent knife skills.
Giada De Laurentiis is also hot, therefore I find more value in watching her show as opposed to others.
Her tits are two of the greatest spheres of goodness I've ever laid my eyes on.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Midnyte_Ragebringer wrote:
Funkmasterr wrote:
Her tits are two of the greatest spheres of goodness I've ever laid my eyes on.
You won't here a single argument from me there :)
Xatrei
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Xatrei »

I don't watch cooking shows to ogle women, so I don't care what they look like as long as they show me something interesting in the kitchen (I'd rather watch Julia Child than any food babe). Even so, as I've said before in another thread, I don't find her particularly attractive. I think she's strangely proportioned and odd looking, plus I find her presentation on her shows to be terribly annoying, so I don't watch her.
"When I was a kid, my father told me, 'Never hit anyone in anger, unless you're absolutely sure you can get away with it.'" - Russel Ziskey
Midnyte_Ragebringer
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Yeah. What an ugly broad.
Aardor
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Phoenix612

Post by Aardor »

Looks to me like she eats souls.
Xatrei
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Xatrei »

I didn't say she was ugly, just that I personally don't find her to be all that great. I think it's mostly the fact that her head seems too big for her emaciated body, she has a big fake/forced grin constantly and her boobs are way to big and gravity-defying for a person of her age and with such low body fat to be real, and fake boobs are an immediate and definite turnoff for me. We all have "types" and she definitely isn't it for me.

Oh, and to be fair, I hate most of the male personalities on the food network as well. I especially hate that idiot Guy Fieri that they scrounged up on one of their "win a tv show" contests, although he's more tolerable on his Diners, Drive-ins and Dives show than on his cooking show which is unwatchable, imo. I like Bobby Flay pretty well, but I don't care for his current show Throwdown. Alton Brown is entertaining, but his schtick on Good Eats can get old. I really like Mario Batali and Michael Chierello, but neither are doing new shows for the network (Malto Mario and Easy Entertaining with Michael Chiarello are still playing reruns during weekdays).
Midnyte_Ragebringer
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

I don't watch the show for the beauty or lack thereof of the host either. It's just a bonus. I learn from all the shows. I've gotten to a point now where I just glance over a recipe and then go freestyle. It's really a lot of fun. I'm thinking I really should have gone to school for culinary back when I was a kid.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

I do :) If I want to know how to cook a specific dish I will research it online. I only watch them because my girlfriend does (same with reality shows, medical shows, etc.) If it were up to me, I'd probably watch Heroes, and something on discovery/science/history channel here and there, and that's it.
Xatrei
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Xatrei »

I can honestly say I've never learned anything from Paula Deen, Rachel Ray or De Laurentiis (unless you count the times that I've said to myself, "I'll never, ever do that" while watching one of their shows. I've cooked since I was a kid, and long before there was a Food Network, I watched a lot of cooking shows on PBS. I am a good cook, and I don't do recipes (except when baking). I know how to create the flavors and textures that I want, and I'm pretty handy with the knives. I like the Food Network as background noise while I do other stuff, but don't really regularly watch many of their shows. I do get some ideas from some of the shows that I do enjoy, and occasionally a technique that I haven't seen or tried before. More often than not, however, it's just something in the background while I do other stuff around the house. If I'm actually sitting down watching it, I'd rather the presenter be a knowledgeable, skilled cook that looks like the elephant man than a vacant, annoying personality.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Funkmasterr wrote:Giada De Laurentiis is also hot, therefore I find more value in watching her show as opposed to others.
She's good looking, but annoying IMO. Everytime she says "spaghetti", I cringe.

Sandra Lee is MILF-a-licious, but I don't think she's the greatest cook. She's also too skinny IMO. Ever notice that she has to have alcohol with everything? It's pretty funny.

Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Xatrei wrote:I think it's mostly the fact that her head seems too big for her emaciated body, she has a big fake/forced grin constantly and her boobs are way to big and gravity-defying for a person of her age and with such low body fat to be real, and fake boobs are an immediate and definite turnoff for me. We all have "types" and she definitely isn't it for me.
I understand we're a nation of cynics, but christ dude, some woman just have really nice tits! Enjoy beauty, don't search for flaws.
Midnyte_Ragebringer
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Fairweather Pure wrote:
Xatrei wrote:I think it's mostly the fact that her head seems too big for her emaciated body, she has a big fake/forced grin constantly and her boobs are way to big and gravity-defying for a person of her age and with such low body fat to be real, and fake boobs are an immediate and definite turnoff for me. We all have "types" and she definitely isn't it for me.
I understand we're a nation of cynics, but christ dude, some woman just have really nice tits! Enjoy beauty, don't search for flaws.
Word. Sandra Lee is also extremely gifted in that area. In some shirts she wears you can see those wonderful juggs just shifting around ever so gently. Damn, I love titties!
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Fairweather Pure wrote:
Funkmasterr wrote:Giada De Laurentiis is also hot, therefore I find more value in watching her show as opposed to others.
She's good looking, but annoying IMO. Everytime she says "spaghetti", I cringe.

Sandra Lee is MILF-a-licious, but I don't think she's the greatest cook. She's also too skinny IMO. Ever notice that she has to have alcohol with everything? It's pretty funny.

Kinda like every time Rachel Ray says E-V-O-O, it makes me want to punch her in the throat before she can then say that E-V-O-O is extra virgin olive oil. :lol:
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

Indeed.

Just say olive oil you dirty slut! Everyone uses extra virgin anyway! OLIVE OIL! SAY IT! SAY IT! SAAAAYYY ITTT!

I also enjoy titties while watching mundane cooking shows.
en kærlighed småkager
Truant
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Truant »

this thread got out of control real quick.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Truant wrote:this thread got out of control real quick.
YOU AIN'T SEEN NOTHIN YET!!!11!1

just kiddng

Seriously though, she is fucking sexy. :lol:
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Midnyte_Ragebringer wrote:Damn, I love titties!
We are often on the opposite side of any given argument, but it's good to see we share at least a small bit of common ground :P