Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Anirask
PSN ID: Anirask

The Mojave Experiment

Post by Animalor »

http://www.mojaveexperiment.com/

So Microsoft is starting to advertise Vista again. With this site, they apparently took ~120 people and gave them a 10 minute preview/demo of the next version of Windows called "Mojave". Then after people are suitably impressed with the OS, they then let them know that they have in fact been looking at Vista. Apparently, 90% of the people in this group had a very favorable view of Vista coming out of these interviews, where all of them thought it sucked going into it.

While some of the reactions were interesting, a lot of it fell kinda flat to me. The people just didn't really seem geniune or enthusiastic enough to be viable for commercials. I'm a big fan of Vista personally and I love the OS, but there has to be a better way of promoting the thing than pulling the bait and switch on a bunch of everyday folks.
Last edited by Animalor on July 29, 2008, 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Re: The Movaje Experiment

Post by Boogahz »

I don't know...I hear people say how bad Vista is every day, yet the majority of them have either forgotten how bad most versions of Windows were immediately after release, bought into the flaws that might affect a minute portion of the users, or heard about it from a friend of a friend of a friend that heard it on some random gaming message board. None of these people will really ever go into it with any kind of "open mind" unless they don't realize what OS they are using.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

People fear change. Vista is fine. Some don't like to learn new things even if they're better.

I suppose on old shitty computers, XP might be better but if you have any kind of decent computer, Vista works great. Just turn off UAC. I turned that off the first day.

If you have 2GB of RAM and a 6800 or higher nVidia card or whatever ATi is equivalent to that, (probably 4870 X2 OC'd ), take the week or so transition time for getting used to the improvements that are better but different than XP and you'll forget all about XP.
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Animalor »

I havta disagree about the UAC. Sure turn it off when you're configuring your system to your preferences but after that is done turn it back on.

It's about as intrusive as a Mac asking for your password to do admin stuff and really does improve your security quite a bit.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Animalor wrote: It's about as intrusive as a Mac asking for your password to do admin stuff and really does improve your security quite a bit.
UAC is pointless if you have some computer knowledge.

When you want to install something, you don't need intrusive warnings popping up. Firefox 3 scans shit for virus, etc. I'm the king of downloading pirated shit (newsgroups and torrents when needed) and have zero problems. Again, this is for those people with a clue about computers. If you know someone that will click on any executable they see, then UAC probably won't matter anyway as they'll keep on a click'in. It's like car alarms. People ignore them as they are fucking irritating.

You should be backing up your OS partition once a week anyway. Only takes 10 minutes with Acronis True Image and works in the background. (if you have wisely limited the size of your OS partition to 50-75GB. (or smaller).
noel
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by noel »

Animalor wrote:I havta disagree about the UAC. Sure turn it off when you're configuring your system to your preferences but after that is done turn it back on.

It's about as intrusive as a Mac asking for your password to do admin stuff and really does improve your security quite a bit.
You're misinformed. The Mac ONLY asks that if it's installing software or a major software update. OS X also allows you to 'trust' an application. In this way you don't have annoying popups every time you want to run Wireshark or your fan/temp control software. UAC as implemented is a piece of shit. Unfortunately it's still a good idea so turning it off isn't a better option than being constantly annoyed by it.

It is sad and pathetic that they are even in a position that they have to do this. That's the bottom line. MS had a great operating system with Windows XP. They should have focused on improving XP instead of convoluting it, because that's what Vista is. A convoluted version of a good operating system. I use it on a daily basis, but it's in no way better than its predecessor.
Oh, my God; I care so little, I almost passed out.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Re: The Mojave Experiment

Post by Winnow »

Still can't stand Apple:
Apple's recent misadventures with loading its software onto users' machines without their knowledge has Microsoft partners grumbling about the existence of a double standard when it comes to how the marketplace views the two companies. Earlier this month, Steve Clayton, a Microsoft engineer, noticed that Apple had packaged MobileMe software in its most recent iTunes 7.7 update when a 'MobileMe Preferences' icon mysteriously appeared in his Windows control panel, even though he hadn't signed up for the service.

In April, many Windows users complained that Apple was quietly loading its Safari Web browser onto their PCs without their permission through its Software Update service, as well as through the Windows versions of iTunes and Quicktime. The controversy caused Apple to alter the service to give users more visibility into what they're downloading. It's an old debate, but Microsoft partners feel it's more valid than ever in light of Apple's ongoing attempts to paint itself as a progressive purveyor of technological goodness, and Microsoft as a plodding, nerdy behemoth incapable of getting out of its own way.
grats on the already resource hog iTunes now running a completely unnecessary resource, Mobile Me with iTunes 7.7 or higher.
In Add/Remove, it should be listed as Apple Mobile Device Support, just fyi.

What annoys me is, this is a subscription-based service that got shoe-horned onto my system without so much as a peep that it was being installed. Also, I first mentioned this little nugget of info in the BPN post for iTunes 7.7. Old news.
Not to mention the Safari install lameness Apple pulled just recently.

I hate those bastards. I cringe every time I load iTunes.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: miir1

Post by miir »

I totally fucking despise updating any apple software.
Apple is getting to be worse than adobe for installing shit that you don't want on your system...

Apple Mobile Device Support: I don't own an iphone, why does it install this shit without asking if I even want it installed
Bonjour: What the fuck is this and why is it installed on my PC.
Apple Software Update: I specifically unchecked the box during the Itunes install... it installed anyway

Fuck apple.
I've got 99 problems and I'm not dealing with any of them - Lay-Z
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Post by Funkmasterr »

I totally agree with everything the canadian and the biker said, in the same thread. If you would have asked me a week ago, I would have told you that was impossible.
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Animalor »

miir wrote:I totally fucking despise updating any apple software.
Apple is getting to be worse than adobe for installing shit that you don't want on your system...

Apple Mobile Device Support: I don't own an iphone, why does it install this shit without asking if I even want it installed
Bonjour: What the fuck is this and why is it installed on my PC.
Apple Software Update: I specifically unchecked the box during the Itunes install... it installed anyway

Fuck apple.
A couple of companies are getting on my nerves with shit like this. Sun, Adobe and Apple are the worst though.
Every installer that asks me if I want the Google Bar also can suck a dick. (Seriously, IE and Firefox have a built-in search bar. Give it up!)
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

I tolerate the google toolbar shit... The install always prompts and it won't install if you don't want it to.
noel
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by noel »

I wholeheartedly agree that installing random shit is inexcusable.

I've mentioned this before, but as critical as Apple has always been of MS, they're handling their shot at the spotlight on the PC front VERY poorly.
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Canelek

Post by Canelek »

I thought it was the Yahoo toolbar that auto-installed. I like google toolbar.

Fuck Yahoo
Fuck Apple
en kærlighed småkager
Xouqoa
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Xouqoa

Post by Xouqoa »

The media (and Microsoft itself) did a pretty good job of trashing Vista when it first came out. At release, it was garbage.

Since then, it has come a long way. I have been running the 64-bit version of Ultimate since the beginning of the year with no issues. It is as fast (maybe faster) and as stable as XP ever was.
"Our problems are man-made, therefore they may be solved by man. No problem of human destiny is beyond human beings." - John F Kennedy
Ashur
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Ashur »

I hate all those fucking toolbars.

Every last one.

I can customize search in Firefox, so why the fuck would I want a toolbar.
- Ash
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

Someone get that man a toolbar!
en kærlighed småkager
Ashur
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Ashur »

I'll hit you with a toolbar!
- Ash
Truant
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Truant »

You're a toolbar.
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

I heard Maynard James Keenan is forming a new band - A Perfect Toolbar.
Make love, fuck war, peace will save us.
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

Your Mom's a toolbar.

And I do not want iTunes if I buy a Crapple.
en kærlighed småkager
Soreali
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Dyerseve 1321

Post by Soreali »

Winnow wrote:Still can't stand Apple:
Apple's recent misadventures with loading its software onto users' machines without their knowledge has Microsoft partners grumbling about the existence of a double standard when it comes to how the marketplace views the two companies. Earlier this month, Steve Clayton, a Microsoft engineer, noticed that Apple had packaged MobileMe software in its most recent iTunes 7.7 update when a 'MobileMe Preferences' icon mysteriously appeared in his Windows control panel, even though he hadn't signed up for the service.

In April, many Windows users complained that Apple was quietly loading its Safari Web browser onto their PCs without their permission through its Software Update service, as well as through the Windows versions of iTunes and Quicktime. The controversy caused Apple to alter the service to give users more visibility into what they're downloading. It's an old debate, but Microsoft partners feel it's more valid than ever in light of Apple's ongoing attempts to paint itself as a progressive purveyor of technological goodness, and Microsoft as a plodding, nerdy behemoth incapable of getting out of its own way.
grats on the already resource hog iTunes now running a completely unnecessary resource, Mobile Me with iTunes 7.7 or higher.
In Add/Remove, it should be listed as Apple Mobile Device Support, just fyi.

What annoys me is, this is a subscription-based service that got shoe-horned onto my system without so much as a peep that it was being installed. Also, I first mentioned this little nugget of info in the BPN post for iTunes 7.7. Old news.
Not to mention the Safari install lameness Apple pulled just recently.

I hate those bastards. I cringe every time I load iTunes.

Holy shit I couldn't agree more.. WTF is with this? Why would I want Apple's crappy web browser installed on my windows PC thats running firefox? I swear the first time I saw this on someone's computer I was cleaning out I thought it was spyware. Same thing with Bonjour.. WTF is that?

I hate apple, Itunes, Quicktime, Ipod and any other crap they have.

/rant off
Timmah.

miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

Soreali wrote:I hate apple, Itunes, Quicktime, Ipod and any other crap they have.
I love my Ipod and Itunes. I really like Mac laptops and their hardware in general. OSX is great... That's why it bugs the fuck out of me when their software pacakges install shit I do not need or WANT on my computer.

It's getting more difficult to recommend or suggest Apple products when they continually pull shit like this.
Soreali
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Dyerseve 1321

Post by Soreali »

miir wrote:
Soreali wrote:I hate apple, Itunes, Quicktime, Ipod and any other crap they have.
I love my Ipod and Itunes. I really like Mac laptops and their hardware in general. OSX is great... That's why it bugs the fuck out of me when their software pacakges install shit I do not need or WANT on my computer.

It's getting more difficult to recommend or suggest Apple products when they continually pull shit like this.
It seems to be happening with more and more companies these days though, sadly. Hell even my Antivirus (AVG) wants to install the f'ing yahoo toolbar and make it my default search engine.. give me a break.

As for Macs, I can't really bash them because I dont use them much, so i'll retract that. I still stand firm on the Itunes/Ipod front though.
Timmah.

noel
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by noel »

A few things...

Installing shit without permission is ALWAYS a bad thing. Even if Steve Jobs himself were to come to my house and do it, I'd be fucking pissed off.

The Safari browser is actually pretty good (on the Mac). I still use Firefox on the PC and for a few specific sites on the Mac that do non-standard shit (streaming radio stations), but it's a good browser. Now that I can synch my bookmarks across platforms with the me.com service (more on that in a second), I might use Safari on the PC (I think you can synch from your iPhone/Mac to IE7, Firefox or Safari on the PC, but I haven't set it up yet).

The Bonjour thing you're seeing gets installed for a variety of reasons, but most often to promote file-sharing between Apple and Windows devices. This includes Time Capsules, Apple TV, and Apple computers.

The Me.com thing in the control panel has NO BUSINESS being there for the vast majority of PC users who will never have a .me account, but for anyone with a PC and an iPhone, it can be very useful in keeping your PC's calendar, contacts and maybe something I'm forgetting synched with your iPhone. I'm a subscriber to it, and it's a nice service now that they've gotten the bugs (which were MANY) worked out. If they end up making good on all of the suggested features from the WWDC (specifically those involving file sharing from your iDisk), it'll be an excellent feature. Still no reason to auto-install.