Movie, DVD, and TV reviews and discussion

Moderators: Abelard, Drolgin Steingrinder

Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Dark Knight's impact on other films this weekend

Post by Fairweather Pure »

So, my wife and I made a date for Saturday. We're dropping our daughter off with the folks, then headed to the Imax for Hellboy 2, lunch, Dark Knight, and dinner. It's kind of a geeks day out.

Anyway, guess what? Dark Knight is taking over every theater this weekend like a plague. Imax is playing Dark Knight on every screen except 2. Hellboy 2, which came out last week, isn't even available in my town anymore as of Friday. Today, there are 21 theaters within 70 miles carrying Hellboy 2. On Saturday, there are 3. One theater in a neighboring town, one in Ohio, and one in Indiana.

What is crazy, is that when they announce second week earnings for Hellboy 2 the buzz will be "it dropped 68% in second week sales", while ignoring the fact that theaters aren't even carrying it during it's second weekend. Same goes for Wall E, Hancock, Hulk, ect. It's all Dark Knight, all the time. Hell, a local 10 screen theater has Dark knight on 9 of 10 screens.

I just hope they bring Hellboy 2 back. I really want to see that in the theater. If this has happened with other huge releases, I never noticed until now.

Btw, glad we orderd our Imax tickets online. Sold out show.
Drinsic Darkwood
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Re: Dark Knight's impact on other films this weekend

Post by Drinsic Darkwood »

That definitely sucks for Hellboy. I haven't seen it yet. I want to, but I'll be giving the Dark Knight my money first. To meet with demand, our local theaters usually just play the film in question on every screen at midnight on Thursday and Friday nights (and continue to do so until it's no longer worth it), but that obviously caters more towards the college demographic.

Can't say I remember box office toppers almost disappearing entirely the following week due to a big release. I'm really curious to see what kind of numbers this film is going to bring in.
Do unto others what has been done to you.
Kluden
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kluden »

Hellboy 2 actually looks better than the new batman to me...but that just my opinion. I still really want to see both.

Studios are making a mint off of Heath's death for that movie, that's for sure, and that's why its such a big deal to put it on every screen possible...create further hype from the hype created by his death. So much hype you can eat it with a spoon. God I hope that movie is good.
Midnyte_Ragebringer
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Daellyn

Post by Midnyte_Ragebringer »

Fash and I are going to a midnight showing tonight. Normally they'll have one midnight showing for these big movies. As of last ngiht when I ordered our tickets there were 4, at 12:01, 12:03, 12:04, 12:05. I just looked a few minutes ago and they've added a 12:06 and 12:07. Holy shit! This could end up being the highest grossing movie evar!
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

The only thing hurting it's record setting chances is the long run time. You just can't sqeeze more showings in during business hours. Although, they seemed to be making up for that in the sheer number of screens that it's running on. Oh yeah, the local Imax theaters have added 4am and 6am showings for this weekend only. Yep, that's 24 hours of Dark Knight to fill demand. That will add more showing power as well.

WB is estimating between 90-100 million, which is so low ball it's not even funny. I'm thinking 140-150 million. I also see second weekend grosses staying abnormally high for a summer action flick. Although, Dark Knight sounds as though it will be a strange hybrid of tent pole release action, riveting drama, and psychological thriller.

If When this movie starts breaking box office records, it will be very interesting to see what types of movies it will be surpassing. The ultimate goal is to smash down Spiderman 3, the current record holding in opening weekend sales.

So, it's Batman vs Spiderman, Marvel vs. DC, and Warner Brothers vs Sony Pictures. It's pretty cool for those that are watching.

I'm still pissed about Hellboy though!
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

This weekend, THE DARK KNIGHT is finally here, and we're celebrating this cinematic milestone of a moment at all three of our theaters!

Each theater will have the same amazing menu specials, so take a minute to check out these specials you'll only find at the Alamo!

Sloppy Joker
Toasted Ciabatta piled high with angus beef in a sweet and savory ancho tomato sauce topped with red onions, roasted red bell peppersand blue cheese. Served with cheesy queso fries!

Two Face
One pizza, two sides. Pepperoni, canadian bacon and sausage on one side with spinach, tomatoes, artichoke hearts, red peppers, onions and portobellos on the other. The best of both worlds.

Bruce Wayne
Peppercorn seared ahi tuna on a bed of frisee and baby spinach with marinated artichokes, sundried tomatoes, kalamata olives and fresh leek with a sour cherry-white vinaigrette.

Batwings
Fried wings in a dark and spicy sauce of reduced soy sauce, chile arbol, toasted sesame and ginger plum sauce for dippin'.

Plus, only at the Ritz, we'll have special liquor drinks, featuring THE DARK KNIGHT Frozen Margarita - with a raspberry liqueur floater!
omg, I think I have to have a Sloppy Joker...the Two Face would be a bitch to eat without a knife and fork
Midnyte_Ragebringer
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Just got back. It was fucking great. I'm so sleepy. Heath Ledger's perfromance was insane. He should win an oscar.
Fash
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: sylblaydis

Do Not Click This Spoiler if you have not seen the movie.

Post by Fash »

What a show! This movie is like 10 hours long*, and totally worth it. I love this vision of Batman. I am not sleepy, though, which is a problem since I have work in 4 hours.

* actually 2 hours, 32 minutes.

Really, Do Not Click This Spoiler if you have not seen the movie.
[Show]
They did a great job of keeping us mostly in the dark with the trailer and marketing for this movie... I think it could have done without the clip of Dent face down in the diesel, honestly, why not just show a clip of two-face dead too!

So... I thought he said he was going to save her and was pleasantly surprised when he showed up to save Dent, who would've been fine had he just stayed in his chair. (who kicks over a barrel of explosives, really?)

The performance by Ledger was fascinating... I wouldn't guess in a million years the actor behind the makeup.

There wasn't much explanation given to Gordon's fake death... like how he pulled it off, or what he was doing until he showed up, etc.

I appreciate the point made by Fox about privacy and invasive technology, and don't know if I could do the same.

Maybe it's just me, but during the scene on the boats I was wondering why nobody used the detonators. I was fearing for the innocents, wondering what was taking them so long, and I definitely thought Zeus was going to use it. After the scene, I understand that it's not that easy of a decision to make. They handled it extremely well, and made us participate in the 'social experiment' as well. This is a movie that speaks to you, and challenges you with many dilemmas.

There is a major theme of hope and opportunity in the series, mixed with highly moral and selfless vigilantism (not only by Batman, but Dent and Gordon too)... Is it too bad that characters like this are limited to the realm of fiction?
Fash

--
Naivety is dangerous.
Sartori
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Sartori »

I'm in the same boat with work in a few hours, but it was worth it. Good god, go see this if you haven't yet. Sucks so bad about Heath :(
Sartori
70 Undead Rogue, Illidan (retired 11/07)
Zamtuk
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zamtuk »

Amazing movie all around. The bad side of Two Face's face, was absolutely appalling, I loved it.
[Show]
My one complaint about the movie, even more so after Heath's death, was the fact he didn't die in the end. They should have just let him fall off the tower (even though that was eerily similar to Jack's demise in the first Batman). Other than that small complaint, it was such a great movie.
Fuck Michigan!
Midnyte_Ragebringer
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

My only complaint is the severe raspy, Dirty Harry, voice Bruce Wayne does when speaking as Batman.
Zamtuk
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zamtuk »

I was semi annoyed about that, but then realized that he can't talk in his normal voice, or people would recognize he is Bruce Wayne.
Fuck Michigan!
Drinsic Darkwood
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Zamtuk wrote:I was semi annoyed about that, but then realized that he can't talk in his normal voice, or people would recognize he is Bruce Wayne.
Likewise. I remember during Batman Begins thinking it sounded cheesy as shit, and then it clicked.
Aardor
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Phoenix612

Post by Aardor »

Drinsic Darkwood wrote:
Zamtuk wrote:I was semi annoyed about that, but then realized that he can't talk in his normal voice, or people would recognize he is Bruce Wayne.
Likewise. I remember during Batman Begins thinking it sounded cheesy as shit, and then it clicked.
The Batman Growl is a very important part of the Batman character, at least in the comic books, and in my opinion.

I thought Heath Ledger was absolutely stunning. Christian Bale also did a fantastic job, but Ledger was the real star of the screen. This movie met and surpassed my very high expectations.
Gonzoie - Luclin
Almost 1337
Almost 1337
XBL Gamertag: tjevolved

Post by Gonzoie - Luclin »

I went and saw this in the theater twice since the first time they had to terminate the showing due to a seizure in the audience 15 minutes before the ending. ( Left me shaking all night until i got to see it again this morning )

I found Heath's performance to be more than just a performance but a damned masterpiece. I really felt that he put everything he had into that role, and just knocked it out of the park.

I agree that there isn't much else for them to do, and i doubt they will top this movie.
[Show]
With Dawes dead im betting we see a return of Ra's Al Ghul in order to bring Talia Head into the story line as a love interest for Batman. I was also expecting to see some Mr. Zaasz in this movie since he was cameo'd in the first, but i guess they will save him for later. Im happy they let the Joker live, even though we won't be seeing Heath's joker ever again, you can't kill him off.
Darttanion Romances, 70 bard (Retired)
Gonzoie Eatsalot, 65 Druid (Long been Retired)
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Mind blowing. Everytime I was expecting a right, the film threw me a left. This was wonderful on the Imax. At the end, the audience applauded. I haven't witnessed that since I was a child.

Ledger was just... wow. His screen time was captivating. The Joker was horrible, genius, disturbingly funny, and totally convincing.

I'll spoiler some more in depth discussion later.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

But the surprise was 5th place Hellboy II: The Golden Army's 77% fall from grace after finishing a big No 1 last weekend. This Friday, it made only $3.2M for what should be just a $10.3M weekend.
IT WASN'T PLAYING IN ANY FUCKING THEATERS!!11!1!

ps. I knew it.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

All of the Hellboy 2 and Dark Knight shows were sold out at the Drafthouse that I go to. I went to Hellboy 2 today (loved it) and had the Sloppy Joker mentioned above. That is one hell of a sammich. I am thinking that I need to go back for the Dark Knight just to try the pizza now :P
Gzette
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Gzette »

[Show]
So... I thought he said he was going to save her and was pleasantly surprised when he showed up to save Dent, who would've been fine had he just stayed in his chair. (who kicks over a barrel of explosives, really?)
I thought this too. I'm pretty sure it was just another one of the Joker's games. He knew who Batman would save from their earlier encounter and chose to send him to the opposite.

Highlights:

In Imax the opening bank robbery and flight from the building in Hong Kong were fucking awesome.

My favorite though was seeing the Joker in the nurses outfit with that gleeful skip in his step as he blew up the hospital. Hilarious, disturbing and scary! What a great performance!
Gzette Shizette - EQ - 70 Ranger - Veeshan - retired
Bobbysue - WoW - 70 Hunter - Hyjal - <Hooac>
HOOAC 4 EVAH!

knock knock
who's there
OH I JUST ATE MY OWN BALLS
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

The record breakdowns:
1 - LARGEST NUMBER OF OPENING THEATRES WITH 4,366 (MORE THAN THE 4,362 DEBUT THEATRES OF PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN: AT WORLD'S END IN 2007).

2 - BIGGEST MIDNIGHT PREVIEW GROSS WITH $18.489 MILLION IN 3,040 THEATRES (BEATS STAR WARS EPISODE III: REVENGE OF THE SITH AND ITS $16.9 MILLION IN 2,915 THEATRES IN 2005).

3 - BIGGEST IMAX MIDNIGHT PREVIEWS SET AN NEW RECORD WITH $640,000 (INCLUDED IN THE $18.489 MILLION PREVIEW NUMBER).

4 - BIGGEST SINGLE-DAY GROSS IN BOX-OFFICE HISTORY WITH $67.850 MILLION (BESTS THE $59,841,919 SET BY SPIDER-MAN 3 IN 2007).

5 - BIGGEST OPENING WEEKEND GROSS IN BOX OFFICE HISTORY WITH $155.340 MILLION (BESTS THE $151,116 MILLION SET BY SPIDER-MAN 3 IN 2007).

6 - BIGGEST OPENING WEEKEND GROSS FOR AN IMAX RELEASE IN BOX OFFICE HISTORY WITH $6,214,061 MILLION IN 94 THEATRES WITH $66,107 PER THEATRE. (BESTS THE $4.7 MILLION SET BY SPIDER-MAN 3 IN 2007.) IMAX SHOWING AT FULL CAPACITY $1.9 MILLION ON SATURDAY ALONE.

7 - BIGGEST OPENING WEEKEND OF 2008 WITH $151.340 (BEATS INDIANA JONES AND THE KINGDOM OF THE CRYSTAL SKULL'S $101.137 MILLION FROM MAY 23-25, 2008)

8 - BIGGEST JULY OPENING EVER (BEATS PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN: DEAD MAN'S CHEST'S $135,634,554 ON JULY 7, 2006).
Fash
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Fash »

[Show]
I thought this too. I'm pretty sure it was just another one of the Joker's games. He knew who Batman would save from their earlier encounter and chose to send him to the opposite.
Wow! I didn't catch that... I just watched it again and you are correct, he intended to save Rachel and the Joker switched the addresses. :twisted:
Fash

--
Naivety is dangerous.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Good show. The raspy voice was annoying on Batman. I know he has to disguise his voice but it was annoying how they chose to do it.

Heath was great.
[Show]
It was nice to see key people die in the movie. The darker mood of the movie suits Batman's character.
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: mp72

Post by Sylvus »

Looks like they are already working on the next sequel.

http://www.datelinehollywood.com/dateli ... t-seq.html
"It's like these guys take pride in being ignorant." - Barack Obama

Go Blue!
Gzette
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Gzette »

I smell bull on the Uwe Boll as director. They can't be that stupid, can they?
Gzette Shizette - EQ - 70 Ranger - Veeshan - retired
Bobbysue - WoW - 70 Hunter - Hyjal - <Hooac>
HOOAC 4 EVAH!

knock knock
who's there
OH I JUST ATE MY OWN BALLS
Fash
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Fash »

Bull Shit on that!
Fash

--
Naivety is dangerous.
Aardor
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Phoenix612

Post by Aardor »

Sylvus wrote:Looks like they are already working on the next sequel.

I almost threw up when I read that.
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: mp72

Post by Sylvus »

I thought the same thing when I read that. I have to assume that site is a joke, nobody could actually be that stupid. I was just trying to scare you guys!
"It's like these guys take pride in being ignorant." - Barack Obama

Go Blue!
Chidoro
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Chidoro »

Sylvus wrote:Looks like they are already working on the next sequel.

The whole "report" was a joke. Quotes from execs about driving the series into the ground? Comeon people
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

The site itself looks about as credible as quoting The Onion about current events.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: miir1

Post by miir »

It's a comedy site... durrrrr...
I've got 99 problems and I'm not dealing with any of them - Lay-Z
Clatis
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Clatis »

I have a theatrical hard on the size of texas after seeing this film.
Clatis Shizam/Fogdog Deeznutz -rocking no longer

When I leave come togetha like butt cheeks
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Anirask
PSN ID: Anirask

Post by Animalor »

Saw the film in IMAX today. Really enjoyed it.
[Show]
My only real gripe about the movie is that Chris Nolan needs to get aquainted with some editors. The movie was overly long and I thought it dragged in certain areas.

Ledger did a great acting job but I wasn't fond of this imagining of the Joker. This Joker was somewhat of a crazy sociologist as opposed to outright psycho jester. I also thought the character's actions were somewhat contradictory from the anarchist speach that he gives Two-Face in the hospital. For someone what wasn't a fan of people with plans and schemes, he certainly did a lot of planning himself.

What I did really enjoy however is how they developped the Harvey Dent/Two Face character and handled him overall. Kinda bummed they killed him but since this is a comic book movie, you just never know.
Again, I really enjoyed the overall package regardless of a few minor gripes. Money well spent.
Drinsic Darkwood
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Animalor wrote:Saw the film in IMAX today. Really enjoyed it.
[Show]
My only real gripe about the movie is that Chris Nolan needs to get aquainted with some editors. The movie was overly long and I thought it dragged in certain areas.

Ledger did a great acting job but I wasn't fond of this imagining of the Joker. This Joker was somewhat of a crazy sociologist as opposed to outright psycho jester. I also thought the character's actions were somewhat contradictory from the anarchist speach that he gives Two-Face in the hospital. For someone what wasn't a fan of people with plans and schemes, he certainly did a lot of planning himself.

What I did really enjoy however is how they developped the Harvey Dent/Two Face character and handled him overall. Kinda bummed they killed him but since this is a comic book movie, you just never know.
Again, I really enjoyed the overall package regardless of a few minor gripes. Money well spent.
I can't help but disagree with a few things you pointed out. First, I've always been a fan of longer films - I fucking hate when execs force directors to cut down their films for the sake of the dollar. Even at 2.5 hours, I never felt like the movie dragged once. Once things started rolling with the Joker, it was going at full speed and never let up. Hell, it felt like they had cut it down from what was originally a 3 hour film.

The Joker was perfect. It was as if they lifted him (psychologically, not physically of course) straight out of The Killing Joke, trying to prove that all it takes is "one bad day" to drive anyone over the edge (in this case, Harvey Dent). Yes, his actions were contradictory; he's an agent of chaos. He lied, and did so quite often.
Gonzoie - Luclin
Almost 1337
Almost 1337
XBL Gamertag: tjevolved

Post by Gonzoie - Luclin »

Drinsic Darkwood wrote:
Animalor wrote:Saw the film in IMAX today. Really enjoyed it.
[Show]

I can't help but disagree with a few things you pointed out. First, I've always been a fan of longer films - I fucking hate when execs force directors to cut down their films for the sake of the dollar. Even at 2.5 hours, I never felt like the movie dragged once. Once things started rolling with the Joker, it was going at full speed and never let up. Hell, it felt like they had cut it down from what was originally a 3 hour film.

The Joker was perfect. It was as if they lifted him (psychologically, not physically of course) straight out of The Killing Joke, trying to prove that all it takes is "one bad day" to drive anyone over the edge (in this case, Harvey Dent). Yes, his actions were contradictory; he's an agent of chaos. He lied, and did so quite often.
I agree with the disagreeing points.
Darttanion Romances, 70 bard (Retired)
Gonzoie Eatsalot, 65 Druid (Long been Retired)
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Canelek

Post by Canelek »

Watched this today. I really enjoyed the film, and Ledger was fantastic. Let us not forget an excellent job by Oldman, as usual.
[Show]
Why was the scarecrow guy in this (28 Days Later dude)? I did not understand the point of the cameo at all. Also, it seemed ale was limited here--figured on some more personality from him, although I am not familiar with comic canon at all. Otherwise, I thought it was a very well done film all around. Joker in nurse outfit, ftw.
en kærlighed småkager