Hancock

Movie, DVD, and TV reviews and discussion

Moderators: Abelard, Drolgin Steingrinder

Bojangels
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Hancock

Post by Bojangels »

New Will Smith superhero movie coming out next month, looks pretty good.

http://www.hancock-movie.com/
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Re: Hancock

Post by Fairweather Pure »

This has been plagued with reshoots and panned by test groups all over the world. Apparently the movie has a real identity crisis and people aren't connecting to either the comedic, dramatic, or the super hero side of the movie. It's not great at any of them, which is a dangerous place to be. It's going to be hard to market this because no matter how they advertise it, the vast majority of people are going to get something different than what they were expecting. Advertising and hype have been pretty much nil on Hancock likely due to that reasoning alone.

I'll wait for it on DVD for sure. I don't think it will be a great movie though, and certinaly not worthy of a tent pole summer release.

Still, it's Will Smith, so it will likely make good money. I'm betting the critics will have a field day with it.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

I'm always up for a super hero movie but I watched the preview of this and came away not knowing what the movie was about.

They should have made a movie out of the Luna Brother's Ultra series instead!

http://www.veeshanvault.org/forums/view ... 33&t=17909

great non Marvel/DC hero mini series that would work well on screen IMO.
Midnyte_Ragebringer
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Daellyn

Post by Midnyte_Ragebringer »

I saw a preview last night and it seems to be about an alcoholic superhero who is depressed about who he is, what he is, and comes to some sort of realization and turns himself around. Not all that complex, but might be entertaining.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Midnyte_Ragebringer wrote:I saw a preview last night and it seems to be about an alcoholic superhero who is depressed about who he is, what he is, and comes to some sort of realization and turns himself around. Not all that complex, but might be entertaining.
This was one of the best Iron Man plot lines ever, called "Demon in a Bottle". However, due to the not-so-subtle similarities between that story and the Hancock movie, it will not be used in the Iron Man sequel. That's a strike against Hancock already!
Ashur
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Ashur »

wtf Hancock screwed Iron Man out of the Tony Stark is an alcoholic storyline??? That's it, BOYCOTT
- Ash
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Post by Funkmasterr »

Fairweather Pure wrote:
Midnyte_Ragebringer wrote:I saw a preview last night and it seems to be about an alcoholic superhero who is depressed about who he is, what he is, and comes to some sort of realization and turns himself around. Not all that complex, but might be entertaining.
This was one of the best Iron Man plot lines ever, called "Demon in a Bottle". However, due to the not-so-subtle similarities between that story and the Hancock movie, it will not be used in the Iron Man sequel. That's a strike against Hancock already!
I think Hancock looks entertaining. I also think you are kind of a movie snob :shock: :D 8)
Gonzoie - Luclin
Almost 1337
Almost 1337
XBL Gamertag: tjevolved

Post by Gonzoie - Luclin »

Hancock looks to be a great movie from what i have seen so far.

Superhero is drunken bum, superhero tries to help and only causes problems, superhero gets sent to jail, city needs him so they let him go free.

That seems the story line to me, don't see whats so confusing about it.
Darttanion Romances, 70 bard (Retired)
Gonzoie Eatsalot, 65 Druid (Long been Retired)
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

I downloaded the Blue-Ray quality movie trailer on my PS3 and have changed my mind about this movie. I think it might be an entertaining movie. The trailer was longer than the one I had seen before.

I hope they didn't show too much of the movie

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pndUOvkiy2A

The whale thing cracked me up.
Zamtuk
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zamtuk »

At least show the proper trailer if you're going to show anything.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gkFCesgExjk&NR=1
Fuck Michigan!
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

I will probably be seeing this one in the theater. It just reminds me of Wildcards for some reason.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

http://www.darkhorizons.com/reviews/hancock.php

Review from Garth, my favorite movie reviewer.

This review backs up my original post. Here are some quotes from the above review that get to what I was trying to communicate.
The tone is strange. The frequent swearing and the surprisingly brutal final action sequence set around a hospital are simply way too rough for the kids, yet the rest of the film plays it far too safe and juvenile to be considered a more mature work either.
Too many behind-the-scenes forces have each tried to pull the film in a different direction - with the resulting hodge podge satisfying no-one. Too dark for kids, too dull for teens and too dumb for adults
I'll buy it, but it's not going to get me into a theater to see it.
Midnyte_Ragebringer
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Daellyn

Post by Midnyte_Ragebringer »

I just got back from seeing this with my son. We both enjoyed it. It was a good movie to see in the theater. Some good actions sceens, pretty funny moments, etc. Definitely a unique take on the superhero. I could see it becoming a TV series on SciFi.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

I didn't think it was that bad. And apparently it should be in the "too dumb" category for me. I didn't really notice the 'frequent swearing' that Garth (party on dude!) mentioned other than early on in the movie with the exception of 'asshole' but hey you hear that on TV so no big deal. Although the end sequence was rather harsh if you're a wee lad.

Here's something to look out for though:
The most blatant problem right from the start however is Berg's choice of visuals - with the exception of a few landscape wide shots, the entire movie is shot with 'kinetic handicam' and intense close-ups. Whereas that kind of trick worked with the quick fire "Bourne" films, the far more sporadic pacing of "Hancock" feels very ill-suited for the technique. The style ultimately ruins the film's biggest set piece involving an FX-filled mano-e-mano fight between Hancock and another character, whilst the quieter dialogue scenes become almost nauseating to watch.
I didn't like it in 'Bourne' and I don't particularly like it here either. I sure wish movie studios and directors would get over that shit already because it doesn't really add anything to a movie other than annoyance.

Anyway.. Not saying it's a great movie. But was ok for what you'd expect.

6.5/10
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Kwonryu DragonFist
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Kwonryu DragonFist »

It was ok!

It would have preferred to see other kind of "villains" though, with a bit more povar.
Thanks to Thess
---xx0O0xx---
The best site known to man!
--++http://kwonryu.mybrute.com++--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Saw it. Enjoyed it. Solid Summer action/hero movie.

76/100

It would rate a point or two higher without a few of the shaky cam scenes.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: miir1

Post by miir »

Winnow wrote:It would rate a point or two higher without a few of the shaky cam scenes.
Maybe the guy who did the cam job you watched had epilepsy.
I've got 99 problems and I'm not dealing with any of them - Lay-Z
Truant
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Truant »

miir wrote:
Winnow wrote:It would rate a point or two higher without a few of the shaky cam scenes.
Maybe the guy who did the cam job you watched had epilepsy.
lmao :lol:
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Can someone confirm the there were shaky cam scenes and it wasn't just the dude filming it in the threater?

thx!
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: miir1

Post by miir »

Winnow wrote:Can someone confirm the there were shaky cam scenes and it wasn't just the dude filming it in the threater?

thx!
:lol: :lol:
I've got 99 problems and I'm not dealing with any of them - Lay-Z
Drinsic Darkwood
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Drinsic Darkwood »

I want to murder Paul Greengrass and every other asshole that keeps employing that godawful excuse for cinematography.
Do unto others what has been done to you.
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Canelek

Post by Canelek »

Winnow wrote:Can someone confirm the there were shaky cam scenes and it wasn't just the dude filming it in the threater?

thx!
:lol: :lol: Sometimes I watch the whole bad cam movie....
en kærlighed småkager
Kwonryu DragonFist
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Kwonryu DragonFist »

First half had potential, didn't like how it turned out second half.

Thanks to Thess
---xx0O0xx---
The best site known to man!
--++http://kwonryu.mybrute.com++--
Bubba Grizz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Bubba Grizz »

It was alright. Not what I expected really. Actually I guess I didn't go into the movie with any expectations. There were some really funny points though. I kind of reminded me of Heroes if Heroes were to examine the real human story behind some of their characters.
Nick
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Nick »

Only got round to watching this tonight. It was actually pretty entertaining :)
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

I never got around to actually going to see this one when it was showing, and I just watched it last night from Netflix. I went into it with very low expectations, and I ended up liking it quite a bit. I had forgotten about the shaky camera complaints here, and I honestly did not notice this while I was watching. Maybe I just don't get motion sickness like others who complain about it, or perhaps I shake enough as it is that I don't notice it at all. :P
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

It doesn't give me motion sickness. It's just fucking annoying and I'm tired of every 'action' movie thinking they need to do it.
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

Aslanna wrote:It doesn't give me motion sickness. It's just fucking annoying and I'm tired of every 'action' movie thinking they need to do it.
I was referring to many of the comments here starting about halfway down the first page.
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Canelek

Post by Canelek »

[Show]
This was definately a movie with an identity crisis. While entertaining for the most part, the story appears to have been at the ugly end of a war between producer, director and writers.

The tried to jam a backstory into the final minutes of it, for the love of Pete! And a tornado? Really. The story was so disjunct that it was next to impossible to have any sort of tension. At one point it probably was working nicely though (Director's Cut maybe?). Pasty Jason Bateman was ok as the sappy fellow, but once again, it was hard to care about any of the characters since they were just sort of there.

Also, am I missing something or was the Bateman character the richest out of work charity PR guy in the world? Nice fucking house and vintage BMW.

I'd like to see this franchise in the hands of a capable group of people. The effects were well done, just grossly misplaced. The Hancock character certainly has potential. It is not often when a superhero has the unique ability to become sober in the period of a couple weeks! ;)
en kærlighed småkager