Bonnaroo

No holds barred discussion. Someone train you and steal your rare spawn? Let everyone know all about it! (Not for the faint of heart!)

Moderator: TheMachine

Clatis
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Bonnaroo

Post by Clatis »

I'm going to this event June 12-15th. This is my first time going and I was wondering if anyone has ever been and if so maybe some tips.

If you don't know what it is and are interested it's a 4 day outdoor concert with a bunch of bands along with other things to do.

Here's the website: http://www.bonnaroo.com
Clatis Shizam/Fogdog Deeznutz -rocking no longer

When I leave come togetha like butt cheeks
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: mp72

Re: Bonnaroo

Post by Sylvus »

Per Xyphir in the Audiophilia forum (where this post should have been made!):
Xyphir wrote:Regarding Bonnaroo, are you driving? If you are, and can afford to take some additional time off, get there early... as early as you can. They've added more space so it accommodates >100,000 people. If you don't show up early enough, you could end up camping about a mile from the concert site. Some people rent RVs. The first year we went, we drove from DC to Manchester all night and arrived early on Friday. We sat in traffic for a while, but I've heard it can get pretty bad. Be prepared to wait hours. Also, it gets really hot so be prepared for the heat. There is little shade in the camping area, so bring another shelter to cover your tent if you want to sleep in. If you don't cover your tent, you'll wake up to a baking experience, and not the good kind. When we headed out for the day, we came back to our site maybe once because the hike was so long. Bring a backpack with some essentials (water, food, sunscreen, sunglasses, hat, etc.).

If you've never gone to a musical festival, be prepared for the conditions. I remember the port-a-potties being full, literally overflowing, after the first day. It was one of the most disgusting things I have ever witnessed after opening door after door only to see piles overflowing the seat. Also, you're going to get sweaty, dirty, and feel gross. Get used to it! Hygiene goes out the window for the most part. You can bring food in as well, but like I said, you'll be away from your campsite for most of the day. Plan accordingly. First thing you need to do is get your music schedule and plan what you want to see. I can't stress this enough. Some of the best music is on the side stage and late night. If you haven't seen The Flaming Lips, I recommend them. Wayne Coin is an interesting character. Michael Franti is also an energetic show with a great positive message of love and peace.

From what some friends of mine have said, the past few years have been pretty bad with police busting people and locals coming in and stealing so lock your shit up. If you buy any illicit substances, be careful. The first year, anything and everything could be had. It was crazy! Be careful and have a great time. Personally, I like smaller music fests, like High Sierra and Rocky Grass Bluegrass Festival. Langerado has a great line-up this year, and 10,000 Lakes Festival and Wakarusa look good too.
"It's like these guys take pride in being ignorant." - Barack Obama

Go Blue!
Clatis
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Clatis »

ugh, corrected by a michigan fan....

O-H O-I

Xatrei
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Xatrei »

On one hand, I'd like to go to Bonnaroo because it seems like it would be a pretty incredible time. The wife isn't down with the conditions & such, though. I used to be pretty uptight about crowds and crazy settings and I now regret having missed a lot of really good shows in my life. On the other hand, Bonnaroo really pisses me off because they force artists appearing at the event to sign a non-compete agreeing not to perform within a certain radius of the event for about a 60 day window. That completely fucks a smaller music festival here in Birmingham, City Stages, whose quality has tanked since the non-compete crap started. Of course that's not the only problem that the City Stages faces. It's been managed pretty poorly the last 8 years or so, but Bonnaroo is the biggest hurdle that it faces going forward.
"When I was a kid, my father told me, 'Never hit anyone in anger, unless you're absolutely sure you can get away with it.'" - Russel Ziskey
Xyphir
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Xyphir »

The Rothbury Music Festival looks awesome! If I were planning to go to one music festival this summer, and didn't have a baby, I'd go to that one. Unfortunately, I'm already going to two (smaller) summer festivals much closer to home. Personally, I like the smaller music festivals. Bonnaroo is just too many damn people, but some people in that line-up look absolutely awesome (Levon Helm (The Band), Bluegrass Allstars (Bela Fleck is Jimmy Page on Banjo), Ben Folds, Metalica, Pearl Jam, Alison Kraus and some old dude, ABB) vs. the other awesomeness of Rothbury (DMB, Panic, 311, Primus, Mickey Hart with Kimock & George Porter, Derek Trucks with Susan Tedeschi, MMW, Bisco). If I were more into mainstream, I think Bonnaroo would be more appealing. Rothbury, with the VIP package, sounds like a whole lot of fun. One of the organizers is on one of the other boards I post to and another festival they help set up is/was always a great time. I expect as much with Rothbury, but considering it's the first year expect some bumps in the road.
Clatis
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Clatis »

dang, i'd like to go to that, but I will never set foot in michigan. not to mention it's really far away, even so i won't set foot in that state

Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Canelek

Post by Canelek »

I must be getting old. That sounds like an absolutely horrible time.

Then again, I thought warped tour was getting rather retarded several years ago--and I love me some punkrock! Of course, warped tour is more commercial pap like 311 and various ad nauseum...

To each their own though (and don't forget wet-naps!) :D
en kærlighed småkager
Clatis
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Clatis »

well I'm only 21, and it seems like an amazing time to me!

Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Canelek

Post by Canelek »

Good point! :D Also make sure not to bring anything of value (including good camping gear)! I have friends that go out to the desert in CA yearly for Cochella--they always have a blast, but come well prepared as far as sun protection and water (and booze, etc). ;)
en kærlighed småkager
Zamtuk
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zamtuk »

Xyphir wrote:The Rothbury Music Festival looks awesome!
I already have my tickets!
Fuck Michigan!
Pherr the Dorf
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Pherr the Dorf »

Coachella ftw

Saturday night... Portishead's only US Show
The first duty of a patriot is to question the government

Jefferson
Aardor
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Phoenix612

Post by Aardor »

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/7456250.stm

I would boo just about anyone 2 hours late to a show.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Post by Funkmasterr »

Aardor wrote:http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/7456250.stm

Oh I bet Kanye had a temper tantrum. He is such an obnoxious, arrogant prick.
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Sylvus »

Funkmasterr wrote:

While you're absolutely right about him being an obnoxious, arrogant prick, I saw the Glow in the Dark tour in Detroit about a month ago, and it was about as tight a rap show as I've ever seen. Everything was on point from the lights and the stage setup, to his performance and the performances of Lupe Fiasco, N.E.R.D. and Rihanna. I've seen numerous live rap shows before (including Wu Tang, Snoop, Ice Cube, Beastie Boys, A Tribe Called Quest, Cypress Hill, The Pharcyde, Eminem, Run DMC, some local/underground acts, more that I'm forgetting), and this one had to be up near the top, even though none of the performers at Kanye's show are my favorites by any means.

Too often rap shows are marred by poor sound or (what I hate more than anything) too much crew on stage or a hypeman always talking over the star. Glow in the Dark suffered none of those problems, and was very entertaining. I went into it not expecting much, as I was just going because my friends wanted to go, and I left quite impressed.

Kanye was an egotistical asshole throughout the show though.

Go Blue!
Aardor
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aardor »

Was he on time for the show =P?
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Sylvus »

Aardor wrote:Was he on time for the show =P?
Yeah, he was! :p

I don't know if you can totally fault him for being late at Bonnaroo. I read something about it yesterday that said he was originally scheduled for like 8:15pm, and it was a last-minute switch to put him at like 2:30am. Then, the linked article said it took over an hour to take Pearl Jam's set apart. What's a guy supposed to do?

Go Blue!
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Sylvus wrote:
Funkmasterr wrote:

While you're absolutely right about him being an obnoxious, arrogant prick, I saw the Glow in the Dark tour in Detroit about a month ago, and it was about as tight a rap show as I've ever seen. Everything was on point from the lights and the stage setup, to his performance and the performances of Lupe Fiasco, N.E.R.D. and Rihanna. I've seen numerous live rap shows before (including Wu Tang, Snoop, Ice Cube, Beastie Boys, A Tribe Called Quest, Cypress Hill, The Pharcyde, Eminem, Run DMC, some local/underground acts, more that I'm forgetting), and this one had to be up near the top, even though none of the performers at Kanye's show are my favorites by any means.

Too often rap shows are marred by poor sound or (what I hate more than anything) too much crew on stage or a hypeman always talking over the star. Glow in the Dark suffered none of those problems, and was very entertaining. I went into it not expecting much, as I was just going because my friends wanted to go, and I left quite impressed.

Kanye was an egotistical asshole throughout the show though.
I don't doubt he is a good performer or that he is creative with themes/etc, just like I don't doubt his ability to make tight beats, but the ego is just tough for me to get past, tbh.

I have seen tons of rap shows too, and to this day I think my favorite performer was Busta Rhymes.. Dude just has so much damn energy. When I saw him the whole stage was a big massive castle, and it was really cool. Puffy is good too.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Sylvus wrote:
Aardor wrote:Was he on time for the show =P?
Yeah, he was! :p

I don't know if you can totally fault him for being late at Bonnaroo. I read something about it yesterday that said he was originally scheduled for like 8:15pm, and it was a last-minute switch to put him at like 2:30am. Then, the linked article said it took over an hour to take Pearl Jam's set apart. What's a guy supposed to do?
The only reason I have to doubt he had nothing to do with the delay is this: Kanye complains when shit doesn't go his way, and he makes sure EVERYONE hears him. SO if he really had nothing to do with the delay I think he probably would have made some statement about how unacceptable it is for them to keep the best rapper since the big bang waiting.
Al
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Al »

A couple of guys I know went this year, they said it was mostly Pearl Jam pulling a normal several encore show (and I've been to 3 PJ concerts, only 1 was normal length, and the longest was over 4 hours). The last encore one of them said Eddie came out and told the crowd he had certain people backstage who weren't happy with the length of the show. He said, "I don't fucking care", then they played "All along the Watchtower" and called it a night.

I wish I could have afforded it, though the gas bill alone would have been too much on this budget. Split 6 ways it was still $100 a person from western NY down and back.
valryte
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by valryte »

I don't doubt he is a good performer or that he is creative with themes/etc, just like I don't doubt his ability to make tight beats, but the ego is just tough for me to get past, tbh.
Who the fuck cares about his ego/personality, it's not like anyone is trying to be his friend hehe. Do you actually not listen to an artist just because you don't like his personality? Come on...That's like saying you won't watch a Tyson fight because you don't like how stupid he is or a Lakers game because you don't like Kobe.
Too often rap shows are marred by poor sound or (what I hate more than anything) too much crew on stage or a hypeman always talking over the star.
I also saw the Glow in the Dark show down here in Miami and it was great. All the acts were solid. My only complaint was N.E.R.D, that sounded like the typical rap show. The sound was horribly loud.
When the world is mine, your death shall be quick and painless.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

valryte wrote:
Who the fuck cares about his ego/personality, it's not like anyone is trying to be his friend hehe. Do you actually not listen to an artist just because you don't like his personality? Come on...That's like saying you won't watch a Tyson fight because you don't like how stupid he is or a Lakers game because you don't like Kobe.
Too often rap shows are marred by poor sound or (what I hate more than anything) too much crew on stage or a hypeman always talking over the star.
I also saw the Glow in the Dark show down here in Miami and it was great. All the acts were solid. My only complaint was N.E.R.D, that sounded like the typical rap show. The sound was horribly loud.
Yes, I really have a hard time listening to his music because his arrogance is a huge presence there, and I have a hard time stomaching it in such large doses. :(
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

valryte wrote:
Yes.

I don't listen to Kanye, and will purposefully change the channel if he shows up on tv or XM. I will do the same for 50 Cent and P-diddy (or whatever his name is today). I will also not watch sporting events that have players I don't like, unless it is in some kind of championship stage. I do the same with people around me. If their ego/personality is shitty, I don't associate with them. I might say 'hello' in passing, but that is it.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Boogahz wrote:
valryte wrote:
Yes.

I don't listen to Kanye, and will purposefully change the channel if he shows up on tv or XM. I will do the same for 50 Cent and P-diddy (or whatever his name is today). I will also not watch sporting events that have players I don't like, unless it is in some kind of championship stage. I do the same with people around me. If their ego/personality is shitty, I don't associate with them. I might say 'hello' in passing, but that is it.
Said it even better than I could.
valryte
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by valryte »

I do the same with people around me. If their ego/personality is shitty, I don't associate with them.
This is understandable, as with people around you, you'd have to actually interact with them somewhat. But someone performing on TV/Radio I just don't understand where their personality is even a factor to what they are doing. If you say, you don't like X musician because you just don't like their music, then fine, but because you don't like what they say off stage, I just don't understand the logic there. As well as with an athlete, if he's good I'll watch, if he's giving a speech and I don't like him, then I probably won't listen to him I guess. I could probably name a dozen actors that I'm positive you watch their movies, but if you ever met/interacted with them in person outside of their work, I'm sure you'd wouldn't stand within 50 feet of them.

BTW, just to be clear, I'm not flaming you, or trying to get you to like Kanye, just trying to clear up/understand your logic.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

Why should I show any kind of support for a person that I cannot stand? Yes, I view listening to them on the radio or watching a tv segment they are included on as supporting them. It doesn't matter who it is. I honestly don't know what is so hard to understand about that.
Aardor
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aardor »

Just for an example, I love Orson Scott Card's work with the Ender series (and other series, but mostly Ender). However, I pretty much disagree with/dislike greatly all of OSK's opinions on anything outside of the literary world. I chose him as an example because he is very vocal (for an author) about his political opinions. So what you are saying is that you wouldn't reading any of OSK's work because it supports him, and you don't like him?
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

Aardor wrote:Just for an example, I love Orson Scott Card's work with the Ender series (and other series, but mostly Ender). However, I pretty much disagree with/dislike greatly all of OSK's opinions on anything outside of the literary world. I chose him as an example because he is very vocal (for an author) about his political opinions. So what you are saying is that you wouldn't reading any of OSK's work because it supports him, and you don't like him?
It is not a person's opinion that I might have a problem with. It would be the personality. The way that they present the opinion, if you will.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Boogahz wrote:Why should I show any kind of support for a person that I cannot stand? Yes, I view listening to them on the radio or watching a tv segment they are included on as supporting them. It doesn't matter who it is. I honestly don't know what is so hard to understand about that.
The support thing is what it boils down to for me.. Whether I am purchasing their CD, watching their music video, or reading an article about them - they benefit from myself and others doing this, so I won't do it if I don't like their attitude.
valryte
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by valryte »

The support thing is what it boils down to for me.. Whether I am purchasing their CD, watching their music video, or reading an article about them - they benefit from myself and others doing this, so I won't do it if I don't like their attitude.
See, I guess I just believe the whole benefit argument is pointless. Benefit is mutual. Theirs is financial, yours is enjoyment. This is not to say, there aren't exceptions. A child molester could be the best pop artist in the world and won't get a dime from me :)
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Sylvus »

valryte wrote:A child molester could be the best pop artist in the world and won't get a dime from me :)
You never bought Thriller? That's a great album.

Go Blue!
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Sylvus wrote:
valryte wrote:A child molester could be the best pop artist in the world and won't get a dime from me :)
You never bought Thriller? That's a great album.
Thanks ass, I just sprayed water all over my monitor!! :lol: :lol: I think I got it off before any damage was done though. :lol:
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

valryte wrote:
See, I guess I just believe the whole benefit argument is pointless. Benefit is mutual. Theirs is financial, yours is enjoyment. This is not to say, there aren't exceptions. A child molester could be the best pop artist in the world and won't get a dime from me :)
Benefit is mutual, however I can find other music I enjoy just as much. It's not like Kanye is the only rapper out there :)
Clatis
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Clatis »

Wish I had gone to give ya'll the first hand perspective on what happened but unfortunately I ran up an $1100 drinkin tab the month before and had no money to go to the roo =/. My friends went and they said he didn't go on because he wanted to be the only one playing and even when he did finally go on most people had left and it sucked anyways. Great Job!

valryte
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by valryte »

/wonders if Funk is out burning his Thriller album...
Xyphir
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Xyphir »

It sounds like a lot of cock jousting to me. Pearl Jam was the last scheduled act on that stage, until Kanye decided to move his time slot hence their reluctance to relinquish the stage. I'd take an extra hour of Pearl Jam over his entire show any day. I don't think many people who went to Bonnaroo were jazzed to see him anyway. It just isn't that type of crowd. The line-up did look different this year, i.e. more mainstream, but how many other rap artists were there? I'll admit, a glow in the dark show sounds pretty cool to me at 2:30 in the morning, probably because I'd be tripping my face off. I'd go out of curiosity, or if it went on that late, out of sheer boredom... something to do on the way back to my tent before getting the festy 4 (hours of sleep). I heard Robert Randolph was taking some jabs at Kanye West, which I find hilarious.

As for the comments regarding the personal lives of entertainers, I can ignore it to an extent, but after a while you tend to look at the person on the stage/screen a little differently. Take Tom Cruise, for example. I'll never be able to watch another one of his movies without making a snarky comment about his whacky Scientology ad.

Thriller was pre-Macaulay Culkin. I had that shit on Vinyl!
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

Xyphir wrote:Thriller was pre-Macaulay Culkin. I had that shit on Vinyl!
I remember a friend and I grabbing packs of the Michael Jackson trading cards and selling them at lunch in school!
Xyphir
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Xyphir »

Boogahz wrote:
Xyphir wrote:Thriller was pre-Macaulay Culkin. I had that shit on Vinyl!
I remember a friend and I grabbing packs of the Michael Jackson trading cards and selling them at lunch in school!
My father, on a trip to the Phillipines, grabbed a knock-off Michael Jackson Thriller jacket for my brother. I got parachute pants. :(
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

valryte wrote:/wonders if Funk is out burning his Thriller album...
:lol:

Was never a fan of any of the Jackson's after their Jackson 5 days tbh.
Xyphir
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Xyphir »

Here are some video clips from Bonnaroo this year.

Lots of Metallica. Wish there would have been more Widespread Panic. Going to see them at Red Rocks in a few weeks. First time I'll be seeing them with Jimmy Herring. Woohoo! Can't wait.

Kayne Sucks.
Drinsic Darkwood
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Drinsic Darkwood »

I can't give a personal critique of Kanye's jackassery because I didn't see it, but about half the people I was with stuck around for it and all were thoroughly disappointed. Supposedly he just rushed through every song and didn't pause long enough for anyone to boo him. Also, I'm not sure why Pearl Jam going for an extra hour would affect Kanye's shit at all. Pearl Jam started at 10:20ish until around 1:30. Kanye wasn't scheduled to go on until 2:45, so whatever.

But fuck Kanye. There were plenty of good shows. The only ones I really wanted to see that I missed were on Thursday: Battles and The Sword. Don't really have an excuse for that either, we were just dicking around drinking at the campsite and I didn't realize I missed them until The Sword was 30 minutes into the set.

Started Friday with Les Claypool, who I've yet to see (solo or with Primus). Very weird and very cool. He had a pig mask on for half the show. Caught the end of the Raconteurs and then Willie Nelson, both of which were good but not particularly impressive. Chris Rock's show was really hit or miss, but Metallica more than made up for it. They played a killer setlist and the performance was just as good as everyone always says - Metallica is a very good live band. Basically, about 3 or 4 songs were played from each album up through the black album, plus the Memory Remains, which is a really fun live when 80,000 people are singing along to the outro. Can't vouch for the absolute veracity of these setlists, but they seem close to what I remember...

The Ecstacy of Gold
Creeping Death
For Whom The Bell Tolls
Ride The Lightning
Harvester Of Sorrow
The Unforgiven
…And Justice For All
No Remorse
The Memory Remains
Fade To Black
Master Of Puppets
Whiplash
Nothing Else Matters
Sad But True
One
Enter Sandman
-
Last Caress
So What
Seek and Destroy

Saturday was amazing. I started off with Mastodon, and they kicked ass (opened with Hearts Alive, which is probably my favorite song). Saw B.B. King, who was cool as shit, and caught the latter half of Ben Folds' set, including an extended version of Bitches Ain't Shit (allegedly his final live performance of it). Skipped Jack Johnson - turns out I had a funeral to go to Sunday, so I spent the gap between Folds and Pearl Jam packing up. Pearl Jam was phenomenal. I had never seen them live, so I'm sure that's part of it, but the only live show I'd consider comparable was Tool and those are two extremely different types of shows anyway. The crowd was really into it, which always helps. Vedder came out after the second encore, said something about how they still had some time before things started to glow in the dark, and McCready went into that very recognizable riff from All Along the Watchtower - it was an excellent closer.

Hard To Imagine
Corduroy
All Night
Why Go
Small Town
Down
Who You Are
Severed Hand
Half Full
Even Flow
Daughter
Gone
Love, Reign o’er Me
Do the Evolution
RVM
WMA
-
Betterman
Black
Life Wasted
Crazy Mary
-
Porch
No More
Release
Alive
-
All Along the Watchtower

After Pearl Jam, I caught Sigur Ros, which did not disappoint, and finished packing. Missing the last day was a bit of a downer, but for me there weren't any must-see acts playing Sunday, so I suppose it worked out. Money permitting, I will be going back again. I'll try to get some shitty pictures I took up later.
Do unto others what has been done to you.
Drinsic Darkwood
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Drinsic Darkwood »

Some random shitty pictures as promised

Our "campsite":

The mushroom fountain:

Metallica opening up:

Mastodon:

Pearl Jam opening up (managed to cut our distance from the stage to about half this 30 minutes into the set):

Obligatory Ziggy:
Do unto others what has been done to you.
Pherr the Dorf
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Pherr the Dorf »

Just got Pearl Jam's set and Metallica's set on MP3... good stuff!
The first duty of a patriot is to question the government

Jefferson