Religious people...schizophrenic or just stupid?

What do you think about the world?
Nick
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Religious people...schizophrenic or just stupid?

Post by Nick »

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20080424/od_ ... ke5HNeW7oF

BRASILIA (Reuters) - Rescue workers were losing hope on Thursday of finding a priest who disappeared off the southern coast of Brazil after drifting out to sea four days ago suspended from hundreds of helium-filled party balloons.
ADVERTISEMENT

Father Adelir Antonio de Carli went missing on Sunday night after he called friends from his mobile phone to say his contraption made of some thousand balloons would soon crash into the Atlantic Ocean.

The chaplain staged the stunt to help raise money for a chapel for truckers in his highway parish.

Brazil's air force suspended its search for de Carli on Thursday, a spokesman said. The navy continued to patrol waters off
the coast of Santa Catarina state but was considering halting operations.

"The chances (of survival) are increasingly slim and we are considering when to end the search effort," Lieutenant Francisco Jose Cavalcante of the navy's southern search unit in Rio Grande do Sul state told Reuters.

"It's difficult to talk about survival. There have been cases of shipwrecked people having lived for four or five days at sea," Cavalcante said.

De Carli had left from the southern port of Paranagua and wanted to fly 20 hours due west but winds unexpectedly carried him out to sea in the opposite direction.

Friends and churchgoers have been praying and placing candles at the altar of de Carli's parish church.

"This is a test of our faith but Jesus tells me he is safe on land," said parish coordinator Denise Gallas.

"Day and night, people are praying here," Gallas said.

Firefighters continued to search beaches and islands off the coast of Santa Catarina state, where they thought the 42-year-old Roman Catholic priest may have washed up.

"We check out all reports of possible discoveries but it'll be increasingly difficult to find him alive," said Corporal Pedro Luis Alves of the town of Itapema's fire brigade.

Newspapers and television networks have shown images of bits of balloons floating at sea. Some were found as far south as the city of Florianopolis, roughly 150 km (121 miles) south of de Carli's last phone contact, firefighters said.

Video footage showed a confident de Carli taking off into cloudy skies on Sunday.

Critics said the adventurous clergyman was reckless in underestimating the region's complex wind patterns.
So Denise, how exactly does Jesus tell you this? Are you lying, or is Jesus? Are you schizophrenic? Are all the other people who believe that Jesus speaks to them lying, or schizophrenic?

Some people really still do live in the dark ages.

What a load of nonsense. Also, the Priest was an idiot. (But then again, he devoted his life to God, so is by default an idiot anyway).
Sueven
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Re: How do religious people legitimise this sort of comment?

Post by Sueven »

Nick wrote:How do religious people legitimise this sort of comment?
Easy. They don't claim to represent all religious people across the world and therefore have no need to legitimize it in any way.

How do YOU legitimize Hitler? The Nazis were secularists, you know!

I should add that I find the idea of a priest drifting out to sea tied to hundreds of helium balloons to be really hilarious. Too bad he's probably dead tho.
Nick
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Re: Religious people...schizophrenic or just stupid?

Post by Nick »

Sorry did you just invoke Godwin's in the first fucking post?

Jesus. :(
Noysyrump
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Noysyrump »

People do really stupid shit all the time, this is no exception. However, you are free to spin it in a way that makes you all warm and fuzzy for neglecting your heritage and pissing on the beliefs of others.

Once upon a time, Liberalism meant, live and let live. Somehow it became "Make fun of anyone different than you."

Laissez-moi être!
Sick Balls!
Midnyte_Ragebringer
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Daellyn

Post by Midnyte_Ragebringer »

His bitterness never ends. I don't get it.
Bagar-
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Bagar- »

Midnyte_Ragebringer wrote:His bitterness never ends. I don't get it.

You love taking the high-road, don't you?
Going out to play pool now with my fellow klan members. Have a nice night. - Midnyte
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Post by Funkmasterr »

hay guys i dont like religion but im such a dickface everytime i talk about it that im just as bas as the people im badmouthing.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Post by Funkmasterr »

Funkmasterr wrote:hay guys i dont like religion but im such a dickface everytime i talk about it that im just as bas as the people im badmouthing.
who am i?
Midnyte_Ragebringer
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Bagar- wrote:
Midnyte_Ragebringer wrote:His bitterness never ends. I don't get it.

You love taking the high-road, don't you?
I prefer not living my life only seeing the negative in everything. So, yes. I try. I wish I was better at it though. I always try to get better as a person. It's a horrible fault of mine.
Ashur
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Ashur »

The leprechaun green gave it away!
- Ash
Noysyrump
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Noysyrump »

See I was trying to make this thread funny by beeing wayyyyy too serious.

But the 'leprachaun green' just out did everything else. I have now satisfied my humor bone for the day.

Au revoir.
Sick Balls!
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

Would the irony be too obvious in giving the priest a Darwin award?
rhyae
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by rhyae »

Sueven wrote: Too bad he's probably dead tho.
Why is that too bad?
Isn't he now experiencing the rapture or some such?
Xatrei
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Xatrei »

Does Noysy's recent use of the French language signal an intent to begin butchering more languages for our entertainment?
"When I was a kid, my father told me, 'Never hit anyone in anger, unless you're absolutely sure you can get away with it.'" - Russel Ziskey
Tristinn
No Stars!

Post by Tristinn »

Once upon a time, Liberalism meant, live and let live. Somehow it became "Make fun of anyone different than you."
You see Syrup, we make fun of people like you because people like you promote the conservative vision of "Kill and oppress anyone different than you."
Noysyrump
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Noysyrump »

Xatrei wrote:Does Noysy's recent use of the French language signal an intent to begin butchering more languages for our entertainment?
Oui!

Ich spreche Duetche auch. Wie hätten Sie’s denn gern?
Last edited by Noysyrump on April 25, 2008, 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sick Balls!
Noysyrump
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Noysyrump »

Tristinn wrote:
You see Syrup, we make fun of people like you because people like you promote the conservative vision of "Kill and oppress anyone different than you."

Well. I am one for 'let the strongest prevail'. I however have not been a vocal advocate of "lets kill them all, let god sort it out" as of late.
Sick Balls!
Xatrei
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Xatrei »

Noysyrump wrote:
Xatrei wrote:Does Noysy's recent use of the French language signal an intent to begin butchering more languages for our entertainment?
Oui!

Mein Deutche sprechen ist nicht sehr gut (et mon Francais est pire!), aber das scheint nicht richtig.
"When I was a kid, my father told me, 'Never hit anyone in anger, unless you're absolutely sure you can get away with it.'" - Russel Ziskey
Noysyrump
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Noysyrump »

Xatrei wrote:
Noysyrump wrote:
Oui!

Mein Deutche sprechen ist nicht sehr gut (et mon Francais est pire!), aber das scheint nicht richtig.
Mien/Ich = spreche

Sie = sprechen

Not bad other than that.. ;) and i had to look up pire.

Doesnt seem right, cause I butcher them. remeber?
Sick Balls!
Jice Virago
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
PSN ID: quyrean

Post by Jice Virago »

Sueven wrote:
Nick wrote:How do religious people legitimise this sort of comment?
Easy. They don't claim to represent all religious people across the world and therefore have no need to legitimize it in any way.

How do YOU legitimize Hitler? The Nazis were secularists, you know!

I should add that I find the idea of a priest drifting out to sea tied to hundreds of helium balloons to be really hilarious. Too bad he's probably dead tho.
Well, Hitler generated a lower kill count than religion has and if you look at all the underhanded bullshit Israel pulls, he was probably right about the jews too. And, of course, our current administration is built on his principles.

As for the priest, well, natural selection at work, I say.
War is an option whose time has passed. Peace is the only option for the future. At present we occupy a treacherous no-man's-land between peace and war, a time of growing fear that our military might has expanded beyond our capacity to control it and our political differences widened beyond our ability to bridge them. . . .

Short of changing human nature, therefore, the only way to achieve a practical, livable peace in a world of competing nations is to take the profit out of war.
--RICHARD M. NIXON, "REAL PEACE" (1983)

"Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired, represents, in the final analysis, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, who are cold and are not clothed. This world in arms is not spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children."

Dwight Eisenhower
Ashur
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Ashur »

Religion doesn't cause wars. People cause wars and use religion to justify it. This has always been the case.

Yes, half of you hate all religion, we get it. Bully for you. Man this is getting old.
- Ash
Tyek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Tyekk
PSN ID: Tyek

Post by Tyek »

Have to agree with Ashur here. I could give a shit about religion, but the same people who scream at Jack Thompson when he blames games instead of individuals for heinous acts are on here changing their views when it comes to religion.
The concept of organized religion is great, love, peace happiness. Hell the concept of Communism probably helped our ancestors thrive in our earliest days, but people are the downfall of the concepts. People cause the problems.

I know people will say that religion put those people in power, but really those were the people who knew how to exploit the system to their benefits. To the younger people on this board, before games caused people to kill, it was music. Judas Priest's music forced that boy to kill himself and his friends. Today it is games and from the start of religion, the nutjobs used it to force their views on others.
When I was younger, I used to think that the world was doing it to me and that the world owes me some thing…When you're a teeny bopper, that's what you think. I'm 40 now, I don't think that anymore, because I found out it doesn't f--king work. One has to go through that. For the people who even bother to go through that, most assholes just accept what it is anyway and get on with it." - John Lennon
Mak
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Mak »

Nick, why do you even care? It didn't involve you in any way that I can surmise. She has her faith, which you apparently don't share. Big deal- you have a different belief system. It's not as if she said Jesus told her to kill the Irish. What purpose is served by you being such a dick about it? All that I get from your post is that you are judgmental, callous, and intolerant. You've been pretty vocal against those qualities when someone's in support of something you don't agree with, and yet you can let it rip just fine. It's ok when you do it, though, I guess?
Makora

Too often it seems it is the peaceful and innocent who are slaughtered. In this a lesson may be found that it may not be prudential to be either too peaceful or too innocent. One does not survive with wolves by becoming a sheep.
Midnyte_Ragebringer
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Tyek wrote:Have to agree with Ashur here. I could give a shit about religion, but the same people who scream at Jack Thompson when he blames games instead of individuals for heinous acts are on here changing their views when it comes to religion.
The concept of organized religion is great, love, peace happiness. Hell the concept of Communism probably helped our ancestors thrive in our earliest days, but people are the downfall of the concepts. People cause the problems.

I know people will say that religion put those people in power, but really those were the people who knew how to exploit the system to their benefits. To the younger people on this board, before games caused people to kill, it was music. Judas Priest's music forced that boy to kill himself and his friends. Today it is games and from the start of religion, the nutjobs used it to force their views on others.
Fantastic point Tyek.
Nick
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Nick »