Sick People At Work

What do you think about the world?
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Sick People At Work

Post by Winnow »

http://www.cnn.com/2007/LIVING/worklife ... index.html

Stay at home sick people! It should be legal to taser anyone that's sick and approaches you at work.
My coworkers are making me sick

By Heather M. Ross

(LifeWire) -- Most of us know that dragging ourselves to work when we're sick is a really bad move. Unfortunately, not all of our co-workers have gotten the memo during this cold and flu season.

"The problem with office culture is that people are afraid to go home when they're sick," says Deborah Rice, 39, an office manager in New York City.

"I've been working in the financial industry for several years now and have found, at least in this industry, that just as people are discouraged from taking all the vacation days they have coming, they are also frowned upon for staying out sick."

"People seem to think that a cold -- no matter how severe -- is a poor excuse to stay home," says Rice. "But a cold can easily spread around the office. We pass papers back and forth to each other, we touch things on each other's desks, we all touch the same microwave, water machine, refrigerator handle. One cold can become 10 colds."

Ben Chaney, 32, can relate. Before moving to West Hollywood, California, where he is a writer's assistant on a television series, Chaney worked for an executive search firm in Manhattan. "There were nine people in the office," he recalls. "If someone came to work sick, it was almost comical how it would spread through the office. It happened just about every month."

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention estimates that 5 to 20 percent of Americans contract the influenza virus annually, leading to 200,000 hospitalizations and 36,000 deaths. In addition to flu, the vast majority of Americans contract the common cold every year, with outbreaks typically occurring in the fall and spring.

According to a 2005 survey conducted by OfficeTeam, an administrative staffing firm, 80 percent of people go to work while sick. That translates to millions of cold- and flu-ridden Americans sneezing and coughing their way through the workday, spreading germs in their wake.

With so many people forcing themselves to go to work when they're sick, what are companies doing to keep their work forces healthy -- and how can you protect yourself from getting ill?

Many workers take matters into their own hands when it comes to protecting their health. Chaney, who does not go out of his way to take precautions, recalls a colleague who used to hand out disinfectant wipes around the office, and insisted that others keep a box of wipes at their desks. "She was pretty strict about it," he says.

These proactive office germaphobes might just be doing their co-workers a favor. A study published in the "British Medical Journal" in November found that hand washing may be more effective than vaccines at preventing the spread of illnesses such as the flu.

Andrea Nanni, 26, of Glendale, Arizona, an office manager for a small law firm, admits to a particular anxiety about her company's restroom. "We have clients come in all the time and we only have one bathroom stall. ... I do spend a large amount of time cleaning the bathroom, because you just never know," she says.

Nanni, who also tutors school-age children part time, uses several techniques to ward off illness. "Kids are the worst about being sick," she says. "I make them use hand sanitizer constantly, and I drink Emergen-C (a vitamin C supplement) to keep myself healthy. I'm pretty obsessed with it." To date, she has managed to avoid contracting anything more than a mild cold from work.

Rice and Chaney are bothered by co-workers who share what's ailing them with the rest of the office, and according to the CDC, their instincts are dead on. In addition to recommending that you avoid close contact with sick people and stay home when you are ill, the CDC has the following tips for preventing the spread of viruses during cold and flu season:

• Get a flu shot.

• If you're sick, cover both nose and mouth with a tissue when coughing or sneezing and then throw the tissue away. If you don't have a tissue, use your upper arm or crook of your elbow.

• Wash your hands frequently and vigorously for 15 to 20 seconds, or use an alcohol-based wipe or hand sanitizer.

• Avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth.
Fash
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: sylblaydis

Re: Sick People At Work

Post by Fash »

No! I'd rather be sick at work and save the sick days for spontaneous vacations!

In fact, I've had the flu since Thanksgiving and I'm STILL spreading it around! 8)
Fash

--
Naivety is dangerous.
Sueven
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Sueven »

I'll stop coming to work sick when the work that I'm expected to do while sick simply disappears.

I'd rather work an 8 hour today, while sick, than be expected to work a 16 hour day tomorrow.
Ashur
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Ashur »

Sueven wrote:I'll stop coming to work sick when the work that I'm expected to do while sick simply disappears.

I'd rather work an 8 hour today, while sick, than be expected to work a 16 hour day tomorrow.
:vv_yeahthat:

To be clear, I try to work remotely or if I have to go in, I stay in my office and tell people I cannot meet personally, avoid common areas/doors etc. I work because I must, I take sick days when I can. As a project manager, my job is talking with people and doing administrative items, many of those amazingly enough, have deadlines that don't care about illness.
Last edited by Ashur on December 6, 2007, 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Ash
Aardor
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Phoenix612

Post by Aardor »

I got the flu about 2 weeks ago, and almost contracted pneumonia from it this week. When I went to the doctor the first time, he gave me 2 weeks worth of large doses of penicillin, and told me that after 48 hours I could go to work and not be contagious.

So after 2 days, I still felt like death (my knee joints have never hurt that bad in my life), and kept taking off work. My family, some older friends were like "are you going to get canned for taking time off?" or "are you sure your boss is ok with you taking all this time off?" These questions really scared me, as this is my first job out of college, and this is the first time I have gotten seriously sick while working at the job. I emailed my boss and was like "hey, is this a problem?" and he was like "absolutely not, why do you think we give you sick days? Also, please don't come to work sick, that would be a problem."

I really don't understand why employers would be upset by sick employees taking sick time. If it was a problem, I would have gladly came in an gave everyone this years flu virus, possibly destroying my company entirely since we go into production this month.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Sueven wrote:I'll stop coming to work sick when the work that I'm expected to do while sick simply disappears.

I agree. I like being healthy when I call out sick. Actually being sick sucks. Sometimes you can't even enjoy a movie.

But, if you go in sick, you should wear a mask or something. Being sick doesn't mean you should be making everyone else sick. Japan's ahead of the U.S. in that department. Whenever I see day-to-day video of japan, I see some people wearing masks in public places. Good job!

Unfortunately in the U.S., being considerate isn't an option.

I have no problem with telling people at work to get the hell away from me if they're sick or turning a fan in their face to blow the germs away from me. Fuck them! I'd rather hurt their feelings than get sick.

So far, no cold this year!
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Canelek

Post by Canelek »

If I am functional, I will stay home and work via VPN. The reason I got sick in the first place was because someone at work was spreading it around. It also helps to wash your hands often at work! :)
en kærlighed småkager
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Post by Funkmasterr »

Canelek wrote:If I am functional, I will stay home and work via VPN. The reason I got sick in the first place was because someone at work was spreading it around. It also helps to wash your hands often at work! :)
My view exactly, if I am able to work I will over VPN. I actually requested they put garbage cans by the doors in the bathroom so I can use a paper towel to open the door (and they actually put them there!) I couldn't take it anymore after continuously watching 75% of the people leave the bathroom without washing their hands.
rhyae
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by rhyae »

After several people in our office passed around a serious staph infection, the company installed hand sanitizer dispensers all over the building, bathrooms, hallways, stairs, breakrooms, anywhere you might touch a door knob or a hand rail there is a dispenser.
Psyloche
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Psyloche »

[quote="Funkmasterr"after continuously watching 75% of the people leave the bathroom without washing their hands.[/quote]

This is a retardedly rampart fucking problem that I hate. I see it everywhere, not just at work. I can't fucking stand it. There are some people in the company who whenever I have snacks, I avoid because I don't want them sticking their stinkfingered hands into my food.
Hijoputa 80 DK - Undermine
Psyloche 80 Rogue - Hyjal
Baaka 80 Paladin - Hyjal
Churrasco 70 Tauren Warrior - Firetree
Rennard 70 UD Priest - Firetree
Sinjin617 - Ogame.org (More or less Retired)
Seithyr 70 Monk - Veeshan (Retired)
Psyloche Wenusberg 70 Rogue - Veeshan (Retired)
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Post by Funkmasterr »

I know, it really pisses me off too. I have considered starting to say something to the people that I know won't freak out and go tell HR on me. It's fucking disgusting.

In public places, like if I have to use a gas station bathroom, if they don't have a garbage I can toss my paper towel into from the door, I'll walk all the way out with it in my hand and toss it out outside, fuck touching door handles in public places when avoidable.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Psyloche wrote:
This is a retardedly rampart fucking problem that I hate. I see it everywhere, not just at work. I can't fucking stand it. There are some people in the company who whenever I have snacks, I avoid because I don't want them sticking their stinkfingered hands into my food.
What about the double dip? Someone dips a chip, celery stick, etc into some dip, chomps on it, then dips again! A nice sampling of spit and gook from their teeth just rubbed off on that piece of food and then off it goes into the dip.

As for bathrooms in public places, specifically at work, there is one bathroom on the first floor that the cafeteria workers use. I see them wash their hands and they do a good job of that, but at the very same time, some dude, takes a piss and then walks right out the door. The cafeteria workers, after doing that nice job washing their hands, just go ahead and grab the same door handle the dude that just finished handling his wanker grabbed. I use the paper towel on the door handle and there is a trash can by the door because there used to be paper towels all over the floor, not from me as my door grabbing, crunch paper towel into a ball, and throw away at a trash can later on, didn't contribute to the paper towel on the floor problem. (the skill involved here is crunching the paper towl with one hand in a way that keeps the part that contacted the door handle from touching you. I'm available for lessons)

Anyway, last week, some girl sneezed while making my sandwich at Subway. Nice.

I don't consider myself overly anal about germs. I simply don't want to get sick because of other people's lack of consideration. I despise flying on airplanes for this reason as it's one of the few places there's no way to avoid contact with stupid people, or people forced to travel while sick for many reasons. I sucked even worse back in the day when people could smoke on planes (but I won't derail the topic)
Keverian FireCry
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Keverian FireCry »

What about the double dip? Someone dips a chip, celery stick, etc into some dip, chomps on it, then dips again! A nice sampling of spit and gook from their teeth just rubbed off on that piece of food and then off it goes into the dip.
Depends if the part they dip is the part that touched their mouth. If you rotate the chip, etc and dip the other side then i don't see problem, but yeah if they dip the part they chomped that's inconsiderate and gross.
Lynks
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: launchpad1979

Post by Lynks »

Thats just as bad! Now the part they put their sticky fingers on is in the dip.
Keverian FireCry
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Keverian FireCry »

Only if they're slobs with sticky fingers though!

Eeewwww...you make a good point.
Aabidano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aabidano »

Winnow wrote:What about the double dip?
Just say no, unless you're the first one at the trough :)

Using public dip is just asking to eat some nasty buggers spit, tooth cheese or worse.
"Life is what happens while you're making plans for later."
Spankes
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Spankes »

When I worked for a company that gave sick days I used them whenever I felt under the weather because we lost them if we didn't use them, but I never went over my alloted amount. Now that I work for a company on a PTO system with rollover I come to work sick unless I would be worthless at work. No one cares at my company if you call out sick unless you have a history of being 'sick' on mondays and fridays on a regular basis.

p.s. I have not called out sick when I felt fine and just wanted a day off in many years. Not only do I hate coming back to work with my desk a disaster after people tried to 'help', I also find it frustrating to have a full day of work and then need to try and cover someone else's desk because they just didn't want to roll out of bed.
EQ - Spankes - Retired
Wow - Randulph
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Ug, now a variant of the common cold is getting stronger. Partial quote of article:

http://news.aol.com/health/story/_a/com ... 5909990001
Common Cold Mutates, Becomes Stronger
By Amy Burkholder,
CNN
Posted: 2007-12-20 11:41:49
Filed Under: Health News
(Dec. 19) - A high school varsity athlete, a sturdy guy with a health history blissfully free of blips, 18-year-old Joseph Spencer had little reason to think anything was seriously wrong when he got sick last April.

The vomiting, chills, fever -- "It must be the flu," he thought.

Within hours, Spencer's fever was 104 degrees. Within days, he was in the intensive care unit at Providence Portland Medical Center in Oregon with full-blown pneumonia. Spencer's doctor was afraid this sturdy teenage boy was going to die.

"His lungs had filled up with water, it was hard to get oxygen into him," explains Dr. David Gilbert, an infectious disease expert and Spencer's physician at Providence. "Things got so bad, I thought we were at risk of losing him."

But as perplexing as what would make a hardy young man so sick -- so quickly -- was his diagnosis: adenovirus, the virus that usually causes nothing worse than a nasty cold.

"In the past, we considered adenovirus a 98-pound weakling," says Dr. Dean Erdman, leader of the respiratory diagnostic program at the Centers for Disease Control in Atlanta. "But adenovirus is causing severe disease and, in some cases, death in normal, healthy people."

At least 1,035 people in Oregon and a handful of other states have been infected by adenovirus so far this year. One of the largest outbreaks was at an Air Force base in Texas. Watch Dr. Sanjay Gupta explain the killer cold virus »
The comments following the full article are also interesting. (293 at the time I read it)
cid
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by cid »

Being in the computer industry, I have to work on other peoples computers all the time. I have to touch their fucking keyboards. You know whenever you sneeze and then start to type again, or eat your lunch at your desk and half of it ends up in your keyboard!

Keyboards are just plain fucking nasty. I am going to start pulling a Monk and use a wipe when I am done with their computer!
Pherr the Dorf
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Pherr the Dorf »

People call in sick?

Fucking pussies
The first duty of a patriot is to question the government

Jefferson