Need some Wii suggestions please

It's the most wonderful time of the year.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Need some Wii suggestions please

Post by Fairweather Pure »

I don't know shit about the Wii, and from my online searches so far, I'm getting a lot of noise.

I need something that is fun for the whole family. I'm getting this for my brother in law, who hasn't played video games since the first Half-Life. Hence, is not a fanatic like many of us are. Since this is his first time truely playing in years, I'm hoping for something that will "wow" him and his family (he has a 8yr old girl). It dosen't have to be a FPS. Do you think Mario Planet would be the game, or should I stick to the gimmick party games?
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Re: Need some Wii suggestions please

Post by Winnow »

From what I can tell, the Wii Sports that comes with the console is the best entertainment for a group of people. Other than that, the PC/console gaming podcasts I listen to rave over Super Mario Galaxy is the game to get for the Wii atm.

http://www.metacritic.com/games/platfor ... ariogalaxy
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

http://www.veeshanvault.org/forums/view ... 47&t=19278

And if you get a party type game make sure they have extra controllers.
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Post by Funkmasterr »

Yeah, a suggestion that I would make for you/them is if you are going to get other controllers anyhow - just get Wii Play. It is another party/mini game type game but it comes with a Wii Mote as well, for the price of a game (so you get the controller for free, normally it would cost $40 I think.)

Hands down the best game is Mario Galaxy though. He would more than likely have a ton of fun with it, and although I think the second player function in the game is kind of lame (second player can wave the remote around to get you star pieces, and stop certain enemies, etc) the second player function might be really cool for him, because his kids would probably have fun doing it.

Anything else can be found in the thread Aslanna linked.
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: mp72

Post by Sylvus »

Anyone know of anyplace online that has Wii in stock right now? Can be part of an expensive bundle.

My folks are looking to get one for my brother and his family, and I don't think they mind if it's kind of expensive. I'd prefer to find them a retailer rather than ebay.
"It's like these guys take pride in being ignorant." - Barack Obama

Go Blue!
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Sylvus wrote:Anyone know of anyplace online that has Wii in stock right now? Can be part of an expensive bundle.

My folks are looking to get one for my brother and his family, and I don't think they mind if it's kind of expensive. I'd prefer to find them a retailer rather than ebay.

Check Gamestop's around them (online and in store). They have some kind of agreement with Nintendo that is landing them way more Wii's in stock than other retailers. Every time I have been to the one by my house recently they have had them in stock.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Yeah, they are a bit pricey on ebay at the moment. But I'm sure the fad will die anyday now and you'll be able to get them cheap cheap!
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Sylvus wrote:Anyone know of anyplace online that has Wii in stock right now? Can be part of an expensive bundle.

Michigan is really hurting for Wiis. I've been casually looking to get one for my parents, but I may have to resort to more drastic measures like reservations or prepaying.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Fairweather Pure wrote:

Michigan is really hurting for Wiis. I've been casually looking to get one for my parents, but I may have to resort to more drastic measures like reservations or prepaying.

I always reserve anything and everything I am going to buy considerably ahead of time at Gamestop. Not only do I not have to worry about it, but they usually will toss in some little extra there for games you reserve (usually the art books, etc that come with the special editions.)
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: mp72

Post by Sylvus »

Fairweather Pure wrote:

I've got a pretty nasty instant gratification problem, I think my mom's just going to do a "buy it now" through eBay.

Thanks for the thoughts though, all!
"It's like these guys take pride in being ignorant." - Barack Obama

Go Blue!
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Sylvus wrote:
Fairweather Pure wrote:

I've got a pretty nasty instant gratification problem, I think my mom's just going to do a "buy it now" through eBay.

Thanks for the thoughts though, all!

I have that same problem, it's hard to break!
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

I now have 3 people telling me daily about how they can't find a Wii to buy and they have to have one by X-mas. I think the Wii is the hot ticket item this year.

I bought Super Mario Galaxy for my brother in law. His wife still cannot find an actual Wii though. She's going to wait in line this Sunday am at the local Target.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Fairweather Pure wrote:I now have 3 people telling me daily about how they can't find a Wii to buy and they have to have one by X-mas. I think the Wii is the hot ticket item this year.

I bought Super Mario Galaxy for my brother in law. His wife still cannot find an actual Wii though. She's going to wait in line this Sunday am at the local Target.

Tellin ya, try gamestop too! They are getting more in stock than other people :) I wish her good luck, my girlfriend got mine for me last christmas and we weren't actually able to find one until the end of January I think.
Akanae
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Akanae »

Super Mario Galaxy is a great game, but the two player mode isn't super good unless you are playing with a kid or something, it's kind of like Mario Cart were the person on the back of the cart can only throw items.

Probably my favorite game right now for multiplayer Wii action is Ghost Sqaud. It's a rail shooter and you use the wiimotes as your light gun, and it is a total blast. You can progress through the game with two players, or play the maps with 4 players without progression. In party mode you can unlock ninja or paradise themes (in paradise all the bad guys are women in bikinis and your weapon is a water gun)

Alien Syndrome is another great 1-4 player game. It is kind of a top down shooter. You can progress through the game with 4 people, save them continue with one player, then add more people later - it's a really great system. Fair warning though this is not a game for winnow, the graphics are weak even for the wii :)
WOW - Eewy priest of Cenarius
EQ- Akanae Tendo officer of OTB ~retired~
COH - Akanae Empathy Defender on Pinnacle ~retired~
Lalanae
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Lalanae »

Christmas is the time of the year that I'm most thankful that my future brother-in-law is manager at Best Buy :) He just got us the Wii for Eric's kid last week and last year it was the Pink DS I wanted so bad. Of course, Eric takes care of him pretty good too. Eric won an XBOX 360 at a local computer wholesaler "convention" and seeing that we already have one, gave it to his brother as an early Xmas present.
Lalanae
Burundi High Chancellor for Tourism, Sodomy and Pie
Unofficial Canadian, Forbidden Lover of Pie, Jesus-Hatin'' Sodomite, President of KFC (Kyoukan Fan Club), hawt, perververted, intellectual submissive with E.S.P (Extra Sexual Persuasion)