Support, Discussion, Reviews
Tyek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Tyekk
PSN ID: Tyek

Re: The Beat Goes On - Apple Event 9/5/07

Post by Tyek »

I Only have a gig of Ram, so that may be it. I am up to date on software though.
When I was younger, I used to think that the world was doing it to me and that the world owes me some thing…When you're a teeny bopper, that's what you think. I'm 40 now, I don't think that anymore, because I found out it doesn't f--king work. One has to go through that. For the people who even bother to go through that, most assholes just accept what it is anyway and get on with it." - John Lennon
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

The latest iTunes seems ok on Vista. I have a duo core and 2GB though so that may make a difference.

It seems to freeze every 10-15 seconds or so when downloading multiple streams but I always close the app as soon as my podcasts are loaded onto the Nano. I've noticed some conflicts with Media Monkey so I try to use iTunes sparingly just for podcasts updates and to sometimes browse around the audiobooks to see whats out there and then grab them off the newsgroups.
Aardor
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Phoenix612

Post by Aardor »

Sucks iTunes only supports 32 bit OSes for the iTouch (and would assume the iPhone). But I guess I don't have a real reason to be running a 64-bit OS.
Fash
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: sylblaydis

Post by Fash »

Thanks to the excellent crew working on hacking the iphone and ipod touch, my ipod touch is now hacked...

My ipod now has:

Google maps native app with pinch zoom from iphone
Blackjack
Minesweeper
TicTacToe
Lights Off (some game, cant remember what its a clone of)
NES emulator! (on screen controller, sensory pad... i played a few levels of mario and contra)
Sketches (drawing pad with color and brush selection)
text editor
IM client
Weather app from iphone
visual app installer for iphone, online software repository
terminal emulator
mobile finder
Apache web server
PHP
SSH server, SFTP server

lol... what an amazing device.
Fash

--
Naivety is dangerous.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Fash wrote:Thanks to the excellent crew working on hacking the iphone and ipod touch, my ipod touch is now hacked...

My ipod now has:
Does that prevent you from using iTunes?
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

That's pretty damn cool if you can still use iTunes without any problems. I wonder how it will react with future updates though.
Fash
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Fash »

It doesn't affect itunes... I'm still managing my music through that :D

at the moment the hack is not for just anyone to do... its a big manual process:
http://www.touchdev.net/wiki/Windows_ja ... _jailbreak
and then i did:
http://www.touchdev.net/wiki/Enable_iPo ... plications
mail doesnt work yet, but im sure it will soon.

they claim they will have an easier method soon.
Fash

--
Naivety is dangerous.
Fash
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Fash »

screenshots i took (triggered through SSH over wifi, lol):

Fash

--
Naivety is dangerous.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Fash wrote:screenshots i took (triggered through SSH over wifi, lol):
Shouldn't it be:

JK : ) That's pretty cool stuff!
Aardor
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aardor »

Does following the steps on those link pages you provided get you all that software? or did you get it from somewhere else. Either way, that's really awesome, and I'll probably do it just for the NES emulator =P
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Anirask
PSN ID: Anirask

Post by Animalor »

Hey Winnow, What do you use to convert video to the iPod format for your Nano(I gots me a Black Nano today)?

I've tried Videora (http://www.videora.com/en-us/Converter/iPod/) but I get issues with sound being out of sync with the video.

Any suggestions on convertors?
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Animalor wrote:Hey Winnow, What do you use to convert video to the iPod format for your Nano(I gots me a Black Nano today)?

I've tried Videora (http://www.videora.com/en-us/Converter/iPod/) but I get issues with sound being out of sync with the video.

Any suggestions on convertors?

Nice : )

I dont' use anything. If you have Newsleecher,try:

alt.binaries.ipod.videos
alt.binaries.ipod.videos.movies
alt.binaries.ipod.videos.tvshows

those newsgroups have already converted movies, tv shows, music videos, etc for the ipod classic and nano phatty.

You'll find a bunch of video podcasts and free TV Shows on iTunes to check out as well.

I typed in "ipod convert" in Newsleecher and a buttload of apps came up to do the job that you could try.

You can also filter searches with "mp4" in newsleecher to find compatible videos. I searched for Heroes and season two popped u p right away.
Fash
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Fash »

Aardor wrote:Does following the steps on those link pages you provided get you all that software? or did you get it from somewhere else. Either way, that's really awesome, and I'll probably do it just for the NES emulator =P
One of the things you install is "Installer.app" its a native app that uses wifi to browse and install apps. all of that stuff came from that and the interface is really slick... even allows you to uninstall.
Fash

--
Naivety is dangerous.
Aardor
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aardor »

Fash wrote:
Aardor wrote:Does following the steps on those link pages you provided get you all that software? or did you get it from somewhere else. Either way, that's really awesome, and I'll probably do it just for the NES emulator =P
One of the things you install is "Installer.app" its a native app that uses wifi to browse and install apps. all of that stuff came from that and the interface is really slick... even allows you to uninstall.
Just followed the jailbreak guide this afternoon, was pretty easy. Thanks for posting this.

Question:
in http://www.touchdev.net/wiki/Enable_iPo ... plications it says there a decrypted 1.1.1 filesystem torrent some where. Where did you find it? I assume it's where you actually get the .apps
Fash
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Fash »

one of the links on that page was for the iphone apps. it's this one: http://filepanel.com/pupload/view/8

the weather app is slick.. nice to be able to put multiple cities in there... i put my home and work locations in and can flick between them.

i added the .app extension to any app folder i put on the phone, btw, dont know if it's required...
Fash

--
Naivety is dangerous.
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Anirask
PSN ID: Anirask

Post by Animalor »

The only 2 things that are pissing me off with the Nano are the "charge while you sync". thing. No wonder there are battery memory issues with these things if it charges every time you plug it in regardless of battery levels.

The other beef is the sync with only 1 computer thing. I mean I would love to be able to update a few podcasts at the office if there is new content as opposed to only having to do it at home.
Fash
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Fash »

FYI, Steve Jobs has announced that they will be releasing an SDK for the iphone/ipod-touch in february 2008. It will likely require that 3rd party apps have a signed certificate that is verified to be owned by a person or business, to prevent mal-ware and viruses.
Third Party Applications on the iPhone

Let me just say it: We want native third party applications on the iPhone, and we plan to have an SDK in developers’ hands in February. We are excited about creating a vibrant third party developer community around the iPhone and enabling hundreds of new applications for our users. With our revolutionary multi-touch interface, powerful hardware and advanced software architecture, we believe we have created the best mobile platform ever for developers.

It will take until February to release an SDK because we’re trying to do two diametrically opposed things at once—provide an advanced and open platform to developers while at the same time protect iPhone users from viruses, malware, privacy attacks, etc. This is no easy task. Some claim that viruses and malware are not a problem on mobile phones—this is simply not true. There have been serious viruses on other mobile phones already, including some that silently spread from phone to phone over the cell network. As our phones become more powerful, these malicious programs will become more dangerous. And since the iPhone is the most advanced phone ever, it will be a highly visible target.

Some companies are already taking action. Nokia, for example, is not allowing any applications to be loaded onto some of their newest phones unless they have a digital signature that can be traced back to a known developer. While this makes such a phone less than “totally open,” we believe it is a step in the right direction. We are working on an advanced system which will offer developers broad access to natively program the iPhone’s amazing software platform while at the same time protecting users from malicious programs.

We think a few months of patience now will be rewarded by many years of great third party applications running on safe and reliable iPhones.

Steve

P.S.: The SDK will also allow developers to create applications for iPod touch. (Oct 17, 2007)
Fash

--
Naivety is dangerous.
noel
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by noel »

Awesome news.
Oh, my God; I care so little, I almost passed out.
Fash
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Fash »

Apple earnings news Q3:
SAN JOSE, Calif. (AP) - Apple Inc. (AAPL)'s fiscal fourth-quarter profits jumped 67 percent and easily beat Wall Street expectations, capping a record-breaking year that saw unprecedented momentum in its Mac business, ceaseless consumer interest in its iPod players and a successful introduction of its newest endeavor, the iPhone.

For the three months that ended Sept. 30, Apple said Monday it earned $904 million, or $1.01 per share, compared with $542 million, or 62 cents per share, in the year-ago quarter.

Revenue totaled $6.22 billion, compared with $4.84 billion in the same quarter last year.

Analysts polled by Thomson Financial were expecting earnings of 86 cents per share on sales of $6.07 billion.

(AP) Apple iPhone displayed at an Apple store in Palo Alto, Calif., Friday, Oct. 19, 2007. Wall Street...
Full Image
Apple's stock price, which has more than doubled since January, rose $3.94, or 2.3 percent, to close at $174.36. After the earnings report, shares climbed $9.50, more than 5 percent, in extended trading.

Apple said it shipped a record 2.16 million Macs in the quarter, an increase of 34 percent, while it sold 10.2 million iPods, up 17 percent.

In the first full quarter of iPhone sales - a number many on Wall Street were waiting for - Apple said it sold 1.12 million units, bringing the cumulative total to 1.39 million since the product debuted on June 29.

For the full fiscal year, Apple earned a record $3.5 billion, up more than 75 percent from last year when it earned $1.99 billion. Yearly sales reached over $24 billion, a 24 percent jump from fiscal 2006.

"We had a fantastic quarter and year," said Peter Oppenheimer, Apple's chief financial officer.

(AP) A customer looks at Apple iPhone accessories at an Apple store in Palo Alto, Calif., Friday, Oct....
Full Image
Apple's fortunes have skyrocketed in recent years as its iPods became a cultural phenomenon. The portable players, which work on Macs as well as Microsoft Corp. (MSFT) Windows-based machines, have also drawn more people to Apple's software and design, leading to what analysts call a "halo effect" on Mac sales.

After hovering for years with 2 percent to 3 percent share of the PC market in the United States, Apple's slice has now grown to 8 percent, according to the latest figures from market researcher Gartner Inc. (IT)

Now, many investors are betting Apple's foray in the cell phone market will be another lucrative engine.

The iPhone, a combination cell phone, iPod and multimedia Web device, "is a game-changing product," said Stephen Coleman, chief investment officer at Daedalus Capital LLC.

Based on income from the iPhone alone, "I expect Apple's earnings to continually grow materially at 50 percent a year, for the next three years," Coleman said.

For the current quarter, Apple said it expects earnings of about $1.42 per share on revenue of about $9.2 billion. Analysts on average had been expecting earnings of $1.39 per share on sales of $8.58 billion.

"We're looking forward to a strong December quarter as we enter the holiday season with Apple's best products ever," said Steve Jobs, Apple's CEO.
3.5 billion dollars profit in a year, after paying for everything... wow. the reborn again Apple is the new Microsoft.
Fash

--
Naivety is dangerous.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Fash wrote:Apple earnings news Q3:

3.5 billion dollars profit in a year, after paying for everything... wow. the reborn again Apple is the new Microsoft.
Grats to Fameen with the long time AAPL shares. AAPL's going crazy after hours:

I only hope this helps out the rest of the market!

MVIS in the shitter atm although nothing has changed to alter the plan except for the waiting game of another OEM deal or MOT demonstration which probably won't be until CES in January. Braking support at 4.50 pretty much screwed the pooch technically on the charts for the short term. Buying more next month though as long as it's below 5.

AAPL looks good for next quarter as well. 200+ on the way.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

Fash wrote:It doesn't affect itunes... I'm still managing my music through that :D

at the moment the hack is not for just anyone to do... its a big manual process:
http://www.touchdev.net/wiki/Windows_ja ... _jailbreak
and then i did:
http://www.touchdev.net/wiki/Enable_iPo ... plications
mail doesnt work yet, but im sure it will soon.

they claim they will have an easier method soon.
How has this been working for you? Just picked up a Touch this afternoon and it feels like all of the screen space is just asking for more icons :P
Aardor
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aardor »

I followed the instructions fash posted, and it works great. I use my touch OMGIAMRETARDEDCAUSEALOTISTWOWORDS more than I did, and I find it a ton more useful. I think there is an automated jailbreak available now, http://www.engadget.com/2007/10/29/ipho ... installer/ .
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

Thanks!

I am still trying to decide if I can handle the tiny buttons for typing. How difficult do y'all think it would be to reverse the changes and go back to the default if necessary?
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

answered my own question...

It's super-easy! Just choose Restore in iTunes!
pyrella
>()))>

Post by pyrella »

Great streaming site for music laid out for the touch/phone interface

http://www.seeqpod.com/iphone
Pyrella - Illusionist - Leader of Ixtlan on Antonia Bayle

if you were walking around and you came upon a tulip with tits, would you let it be for the rest of the world to enjoy.. or would you pick it and carry it off to a secluded area to motorboat them?
-Cadalano